• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are some making a big deal that the Xbox Home UI is going to run at 1080p?

Does it matter that the Xbox Home UI is going to run at 1080p?

• Who cares it’s just a Home Screen.

Votes: 219 67.8%
  • No, I’m canceling my preorder.

Votes: 104 32.2%

• Total voters

Beardsalt

Seems kind of weird to me to go 1080p at the end of 2020 but with all the legitimat complaints and the “concern“ trolling, Microsoft will probably just do a firmware update.

I do spend more time in my UI then most, so for me, that 4K PS5 UI is awesome. I’ve gotten some pretty sleek Soulsborne Dynamic Themes over the years that blow people away when my system is sitting in the UI!

Kagey K

Banned
Because I can share my take on whether a sharp UI is generally desirable or not without being an xbox customer. If it hurts your feelings, you can block me or whatever.
So your reaction is so important that you feel the need to share it, even though you never plan on using or seeing the product you are criticizing?

Seems Narcissistic at best.

I will give you a piece of advice going forward. (Nobody gives a shit)

MadViking

And why is everything treated as attack on your favorite console? I use Xbox One X for 80% of my gaming time. Doesn't mean I cannot be disappointed about not having 4K UI on XOX or XSX.
To answer your question - 1080p looks fine on 1080p TV, but on 65" 4K TV it doesn't look that great anymore. So it's just that, it's not a deal breaker, but it's disappointing.
And maybe because we had 1080p UI 14 years ago on console with 512MB RAM. There is no reason that a console with 12 or 16 GB cannot have 4K UI in 2020.

dcx4610

It just feels like a compromise. They did the same thing on the Xbox One. I get the logic of reserving the extra horsepower but it still feels like a compromise when you are promoting the system as the most powerful system in the world.

The Switch and Xbox UIs are very noticeable at 1080p. The bigger the screen, the worse it looks. Granted it's not THAT important, I'd still prefer it to be 4K. Imagine having a desktop PC and every time you go to the desktop, it switches to 1080p to save hardware power. That'd be pretty obnoxious and lame.

Cato

Banned
Help me understand why some people are making a big deal over the fact that the home UI will run at 1080p? When 90% of us won’t even spend 10 to 15 minutes looking at the home UI. I don’t understand why, I mean at least for me I just look for something then I get to playing. As interesting as the Home UI for the PS5 is I’m not going to spend too much time on it.

It is a games launcher. Who cares what it looks like or if it is 4k or notr.

The people complaining are either young children just repeating what they heard from the cool guy at primary school or just plainly mentally ill.
Normal people do not care. It is not an issue.

Parents, do not reward your child being retard on the internet by bying them a console. Tell then they were retard on the internet and will have to wait for next gen, i.e, ps6 or xboxsxsx^2. This gen is cancelled as far as they are concerned.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Funny that the truth is we've been hearing all year is a whole lot of screeching that nothing matters except the games.

Now the same users that screech "BUT GAEMS GAEMS GAEMS!!!" are all of a sudden home UI aficionados and that UI resolution is the one and only important thing about consoles.

Well fanboys change their arguments so they fit the agenda. Nothing surprising there.

First it was about graphics. When that was beaten was it about the games. When the games arrive they were "bad anyway" (es, Fallout, Doom), and now the UI matters the most.

I probably missed something, it's so damn hard to keep track.

Kagey K

Banned
Never thought about what resolution XOX ui runs at so I clearly don’t care. It’s designed for distance viewing of large ui elements so the difference would be negligible anyway.
Jesus what kind of gamer are you if you can’t see the obviously small pixels on the letter I in you UI?

Well that’s no kind of gamer at all, 4K UI 😃

4K game? 😔

Waste of resources.

As John from Digital Foundry said, you spend a huge amount of time on the console UI no matter what its your console of choise.

Again, the series X have enough power to delivery a beautiful UI. What I've seeing are poor excuses for the 'most powerful console' to not run their UI at native 4k on a decent 4K TV.

No offense for those who will play series X on a old CRT.

Surely everyone has a 4k TV by now? For 5 years its been all you can buy in the store.

IDappa

I don't really care about Xbox UI being 1080p, but only because I'm not getting an Xbox. lmao at thinking the only reason to care is for console wars.
Why else do people care?, Do people sit Infront of their console of choice jacking off at the UI?.

I see about ten seconds of the UI before launching my game. Not once in my life have I seen somebody say I wish X or y console had higher res UI on the home screen until now and it just so happens to be a console most people don't play on neogaf. But you are right got nothing to do with fanboys.

Hustler

Has anyone actually cared enough about a console's UI to not buy it? Sure, it's an inconvenience if the UI sucks....but it's the games that sell the console. Look at the Wii/Wii U, I absolutely hate that UI and yet I've owned both of them.

turtlepowa

Banned
Has anyone actually cared enough about a console's UI to not buy it? Sure, it's an inconvenience if the UI sucks....but it's the games that sell the console. Look at the Wii/Wii U, I absolutely hate that UI and yet I've owned both of them.
Nobody cares. The One X also had just a 1080 UI and it was no big deal. Now it's a big deal for those who wouldn't even get a Xbox if Spencer held their families hostage. My avatar says it all.

How many people who actually planned on getting the XSX will now not because the UI isn't 4k? Is there any indication that the GAMES won't run in 4k? What matters most? Did X1X having a 1k UI affect how Red Dead Redemption looked and ran?

So as a non Xbox consumer in a thread about the Xbox dash being 1080p. Why are you here?

I have a feeling he isn't the only one.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I don't think it's a huge deal, just an odd oversight.

I mean, I'd just want a UI that is clean, fast, responsive, easy to navigate and launch/manage games. If it does the job in that sense I don't see a reason to complain.

My biggest gripes with the Xbox One UI were that it was cumbersome, slow and unresponsive. It's better that they fix those things rather than increase the overall resolution.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Anyone who has a serious issue with this deserves an electrical surge to travel to their new console the moment they plug it in and blows the things to pieces.

mykedo0909

I dont know what to believe anymore. If, and just if an 1080p Ui really would give the developers more ressources for the games, and if it is utilized in a manner that the end user benefits from it, i would say Ok it is fine for me.

But im asking myself if the rootcause is the ui concept as a whole? Screen resolution is one thing, but does the ui require to be bloated / sophisticated in a way to while rendering it in 4k to have impact on the devs ressources in such manner?

I mean you could have a snappy 4k ui which absolutely has an minor impact on the ressources i believe?

FeiRR

Banned
To differentiate nextgen from currentgen I guess.
It's not even a next gen feature.

I dont know what to believe anymore. If, and just if an 1080p Ui really would give the developers more ressources for the games, and if it is utilized in a manner that the end user benefits from it, i would say Ok it is fine for me.

But im asking myself if the rootcause is the ui concept as a whole? Screen resolution is one thing, but does the ui require to be bloated / sophisticated in a way to while rendering it in 4k to have impact on the devs ressources in such manner?

I mean you could have a snappy 4k ui which absolutely has an minor impact on the ressources i believe?
It's a few megabytes more, doesn't make much difference in modern devices.

mykedo0909

It's a few megabytes more, doesn't make much difference in modern devices.
[/QUOTE]
Could be. When i compare my Ps4 ui to my xbox ui, i always have the feeling: The xbox ui is much more demanding, there are many pictures, informations, tiles...
But it runs quite smooth for what it shows. The ps4 ui is in my opinion less bloated, but still has many hickups and does not feel as responsive at times. What i want to say is, its not only about resolution but "concept of the ui + resolution".

I can imagine seeing all those game, movies, store ads and game previous on the xbox ui in 4k (which are as well downloaded from the internet) could lead to undesired "hickups", which ms does not want to have...

Mmnow

Microsoft are so confident in their device that they sent it out to critics more than a month before release.

The previews have all been great and, repeatedly, little bits of negative information have been twisted to be far worse than it actually is before finally being debunked entirely.

That's the downside of putting your console out in the world.

Sony haven't had this issue, because they won't let anyone touch their device in real world conditions.

So all this concern trolling is coming from people buying the marketing hook line and sinker, comparing real pre-release conditions to something that has been promised to be available a month in the future.

That's an easy comparison to win. It'll be interesting to see what the same people are saying in a month's time.

Last edited:

FeiRR

Banned
Could be. When i compare my Ps4 ui to my xbox ui, i always have the feeling: The xbox ui is much more demanding, there are many pictures, informations, tiles...
When you have higher resolution, you can have more elements.

But it runs quite smooth for what it shows. The ps4 ui is in my opinion less bloated, but still has many hickups and does not feel as responsive at times. What i want to say is, its not only about resolution but "concept of the ui + resolution".
It depends how UI is rendered. PS4 uses web based interface which isn't the fastest way but makes things easier to change. PS5 uses a totally different overlay method, you can see the current game running in the background.

I can imagine seeing all those game, movies, store ads and game previous on the xbox ui in 4k (which are as well downloaded from the internet) could lead to undesired "hickups", which ms does not want to have...
Again, an average laptop can display 4k content without breaking sweat. It's not a hardware problem. I have no idea why Xbox hasn't had 4k UI since X1X launched. I was surprised to learn that recently.

I mean, do you want a higher res UI at the cost of less RAM for games? It's fine if so, but it's not a no brainer.

Saying thay is just half of truth.

How much less? 0.1%? 1%? 10%?

MS is operating system company and if they cant do 4k OS but Sony can, without losing so much of ram that matters, then they just suck at consoles+OS business.

If it is like 13.5GB vs 13.3GB free for games = that argument inst strong

4k should not eat hugely more ram, if images take 100mb then it would be max 400mb and so on

Yeah, either someone is using it as a point in a console war or just that the UI runs at 1080p. How fucking sad is that? If you're playing games on a games console, you won't see the thing anyway. Some people are embarrassing.

MrFunSocks

Banned
When you have higher resolution, you can have more elements.

It depends how UI is rendered. PS4 uses web based interface which isn't the fastest way but makes things easier to change. PS5 uses a totally different overlay method, you can see the current game running in the background.

Again, an average laptop can display 4k content without breaking sweat. It's not a hardware problem. I have no idea why Xbox hasn't had 4k UI since X1X launched. I was surprised to learn that recently.
You have no idea what you’re talking about, sorry.

The PS5 dash doesn’t render the current game in the background lol. That’s the “control centre”, which is the equivalent of the Xbox guide, which is native 4K on the series X. The dashboard is different. It’s the main menu.

again, we already know why the Xbox doesn’t have a 4K UI - they made it have one, but the developers went “hey can we have that extra ram back instead of rendering the dashboard that people see for all of 10 secondsin 4K?” So they went back to 1080p because anyone that would rather a higher res menu over more ram for games is legitimately an idiot.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I think the XB is the more attractive console in many ways compared to PS5, but christ can we stop making excuses for these multi billion dollar companies. They need to earn our dollars, EARN IT. *shoots bullets at feet* Dance, bitch, DANCE.

We all know why lol.

NeoGAF isn’t known as SonyGAF around the internet for no reason.

You must of missed the violent TLOU2 threads which was near the magnitude of “Craig”.

People are making a significant deal because Microsoft touted the XSX as the “world’s most powerful console”, yet even the much weaker PS4 Pro renders 4K resolution in the UI. That no matter how diminutive it may seem is going to get questioned by many. I don’t think it’s a deal breaker, but consumers are going to ask what’s going on obviously.

Aidah

So your reaction is so important that you feel the need to share it, even though you never plan on using or seeing the product you are criticizing?

Seems Narcissistic at best.

I will give you a piece of advice going forward. (Nobody gives a shit)
It's a gaming forum. The idea is to share opinions and have a discussion. I didn't come to your house to tell you what I think. If the question was directed specifically at people who will definitely buy an Xbox then I wouldn't have even come in here. It's not though, so I shared my general opinion regardless of which device it is.

You can keep your advice and just block me, because I'm not on this forum not to share my take.

Last edited:
Microsoft are so confident in their device that they sent it out to critics more than a month before release.

The previews have all been great and, repeatedly, little bits of negative information have been twisted to be far worse than it actually is before finally being debunked entirely.

That's the downside of putting your console out in the world.

Sony haven't had this issue, because they won't let anyone touch their device in real world conditions.

So all this concern trolling is coming from people buying the marketing hook line and sinker, comparing real pre-release conditions to something that has been promised to be available a month in the future.

That's an easy comparison to win. It'll be interesting to see what the same people are saying in a month's time.

Xbox sends out their console to the gamer culture eceleb swine for marketing purposes lets not kid ourselves shall we?

Shmunter

You have no idea what you’re talking about, sorry.

The PS5 dash doesn’t render the current game in the background lol. That’s the “control centre”, which is the equivalent of the Xbox guide, which is native 4K on the series X. The dashboard is different. It’s the main menu.

again, we already know why the Xbox doesn’t have a 4K UI - they made it have one, but the developers went “hey can we have that extra ram back instead of rendering the dashboard that people see for all of 10 secondsin 4K?” So they went back to 1080p because anyone that would rather a higher res menu over more ram for games is legitimately an idiot.
Makes you wonder why they bother advertising or selling games on an interface no one cares about.

Aidah

Why else do people care?, Do people sit Infront of their console of choice jacking off at the UI?.

I see about ten seconds of the UI before launching my game. Not once in my life have I seen somebody say I wish X or y console had higher res UI on the home screen until now and it just so happens to be a console most people don't play on neogaf. But you are right got nothing to do with fanboys.
People dont jack off at their games either (at least most don't).

It's cool that you really don't care, and I personally don't think it's a deal breaker at all of course, but it's still a bummer, and I'm talking generally here.

If the OP's question is genuine and really wants to know why a lot care about a sharp looking UI or a UI designed for 4K, then the most helpful answer is from people who do put value on such things.

But maybe I have too much faith here, and all the OP was looking for is other people who share his opinion and tell him that it's just fanboy drivel (Although I'm sure some of the criticism is fanboy driven as is always the case, but only some).

Last edited:
So as a non Xbox consumer in a thread about the Xbox dash being 1080p. Why are you here?
Jesus. Embarrassing
OccasionalBarrenGannet-size_restricted.gif

Why so many Xbox peeps having meltdowns in here? One can't add an opinion on the subject matter?

Last edited:

Mmnow

Xbox sends out their console to the gamer culture eceleb swine for marketing purposes lets not kid ourselves shall we?
They send out their consoles to people for marketing purposes. Of course they do. You don't do that unless you're confident they won't turn up anything that'll impact on the marketing of your device.

That should be implicit just in the fact they're doing it.

VN1X

Banned
Nice try OP but I immediately cancelled my pre-order after this came to light. Boom. I ain't no fool!

Top Bottom