• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are the PS5 charging stations all out of stock?

Three

Do you really need a charging station?
Well, it's a convenience more than anything. I can plug them in after I play but it would be nice if they had a place and charged while not in use instead of me remembering to plug them in.

Are they really charging 70€ for that?

The RRP is £25 but because of stock issues third party sellers are scalping at more than double the price.

Covid. It affects more that just yields.
I don't know, seems strange that they have Dualsense controllers in stock and not affected by it but not the chargers. I think they just did a poor job of predicting demand for these and aren't doing enough to stock more.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Everything everywhere is out of stock. It sucks, but more people stuck home means there is more demand for games and hardware then ever. And covid killed production lines, a bad combo for the end user ultimatley. I really lucked out with both next gen consoles this year, i dont think i will be fortunate enough to nab the next switch revision

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

The USB charging isn't working on my PS5, rather than return it and wait who knows how long for a replacement I've gone for the charging station and it is very convenient. I turn my PS5 off fully after a session and have the two controllers constantly sitting there in the cradle.

cyen

For me it's essencial, although the official one kinda suck due to limited battery of the dualsense and due to not using rest mode makes it essencial for me.

Birdo

Banned
Here you go. I'll save you $60:

51y-k925DqL._AC_SX679_.jpg

It took me one month to get PS5 but 2 months to get the pulse 3D headphones.

my extra dual sense and charge station I got it day one lol. Some how I was afraid they would be out of stock.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Luckily I got mine at launch. But had to wait up until 2 weeks ago to get hold of the Pulse Headset. Demand is high on everything PS5 related.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Got the last one at a local Walmart by pure dumb luck. It's basically anything PS5.....system, pulse headset, charging station....all extremely hard to come by. Luckily i have all 3 now, i feel really lucky when i see how so many people still want all 3.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
IIRC the official DualShock 4 charger from Sony was the only one with a smart charging circuit. I'm assuming it's the same with the DualSense one.
It detects when the battery is full and stops the voltage output (i.e. stops trying to charge the controller) to avoid constant "mini-cycles" that harm the battery's health.
I think this can only be done with the 4 contacts in the back of the controller, and not through standard USB charging that uses only 2 contacts by default.

Using the official charger will cause the controllers' batteries do decay a lot less. It's well worth the investment and the search IMO.

Shmunter

IIRC the official DualShock 4 charger from Sony was the only one with a smart charging circuit. I'm assuming it's the same with the DualSense one.
It detects when the battery is full and stops the voltage output (i.e. stops trying to charge the controller) to avoid constant "mini-cycles" that harm the battery's health.
I think this can only be done with the 4 contacts in the back of the controller, and not through standard USB charging that uses only 2 contacts by default.

Using the official charger will cause the controllers' batteries do decay a lot less. It's well worth the investment and the search IMO.
No need to worry. The controllers carry the circuits and you can happily charge via any USB device.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
No need to worry. The controllers carry the circuits and you can happily charge via any USB device.
The DualSense does?

I'm fairly sure the DualShock 4 didn't, and that's a big reason why many people complained about that controller's short life after a couple of years.

I recon I never researched this on the DualSense, but always assumed the official Sony charger would be a safer bet.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Dualshock 4 charged faster through the EXT port with the official charging dock, isn't it the same with the DualSense? That alone makes it worth buying, on top of not having to eventually damage/break the USB-C port from inserting a cable hundreds of times.

My PS5 Dualsense seems to charge quite fast through the PS5 USB port (Not sure how long it takes, but its fully charged before the USB ports are turned off after 3 hours at least) but with my "PC DS" I have to leave it plugged into my PC or Laptop USB port for 6 hours plus to fully charge it which seems wrong.

Does using a USB 2 or 3 or 3.1 port make a difference for charging speed for the DualSense?

Enjay

Banned

Every charger does this.
Do you really need a charging station?
Go ask your mother.

Last edited:

Shmunter

The DualSense does?

I'm fairly sure the DualShock 4 didn't, and that's a big reason why many people complained about that controller's short life after a couple of years.

I recon I never researched this on the DualSense, but always assumed the official Sony charger would be a safer bet.
Yes, all good, no such thing. Consoles came with USB cable to charge your controller with directly from USB. No requirement to buy charging dock to charge them safely.

ZoukGalaxy

Because since we are only able to buy DualSense, with need to charge them to keep us busy waiting for a PS5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom