• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are you people so amazed by this stupid Street Fighter video?

pwned3.gif

It just looks like the guy is kneeling and blocking.. What's so hard about that?

Blinky

You're pretty wrong...if you don't know much about the game. Then why dispute all teh people on shoryuken.com that do...and say it's a parry?

Oh, okay. I honestly don't know much about this game.

I didn't know what parrying was.

Sorry.

It just didn't look all that impressive.

Why couldn't the guy have just kneeled and blocked?

impirius

It's clearly an awesome series of parries in the full-size video. Besides, you can't tell from the small GIF, but Ken has only a sliver of life remaining... block damage from that attack would've been more than enough to kill him.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Bruce Vilanch said:

Sorry.

Because he didn't have any life left. Blocking that super would have chipped away his life. Parrying doesn't take away any health.

Ferrio

Banned
Bruce Vilanch said:

Sorry.

He would of died if he blocked.

He was down to a sliver of life, if you block special moves you lose a tiny bit of life. That move was enough to kill him even if he blocked.

Blinky

Bruce Vilanch said:

Sorry.

No need to apologize. Just a simple mis-understanding.

evil ways

Like others said, it's not blocking, he's parrying, which means he's manually brushing off every single hit of the super move to avoid getting block damage, which would've surely killed him.

nubbe

Did you watch the video?
He has no health left... he would have been KO if he had blocked it... he doesn’t take any damage since he manages to parry every attack...

tenchir

Have you played Dead or Alive before? Parrying in Street Fighter 3 is like DoA except the counter-attack isn't automatic. You have to press the stick forward at the right time as you are getting hit to parry an attack. The big difference between parrying and blocking is that parry allows you to avoid damage and allows counterattack. Parrying that Super attack requires a lot of skill because you have to time each parry with each individual attack just right.

Shompola

Banned
Bruce Vilanch said:
Is it really worth jumping up and screaming over, though?

Is it worth saying "THIS IS MADNESS" over?

Considering it's very hard to do YES. I mean parrying a slow fireball is hard for most of the "regular" people not to mention something like this fast and repeating attack.

Um, this isn't a joke thread.

I just don't know much about fighters. I've always been a button-masher.

What's the prize in that tournament?

jett

D-Member
Bruce: You obviously have never played SF3. This video isn't for you, and you'll pretty much never will be able to appreciate it unless you start playing the game.

nubbe

Doing that during the finals… the enormous pressure… He has nerves of steel and the calm of a true master

If you look at the video you can tell he only has a sliver of life left and blocking those attacks would have killed him.

I don't think anyone else has said this.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
If he's so damn good, why did he get his life bar reduced to just a tiny amount in the first place?

And yeah, their wild cheering is a bit nerdy.

Kiriku said:
If he's so damn good, why did he get his life bar reduced to just a tiny amount in the first place?

Because Justin Wong is a turtling SOB.

nubbe

Kiriku said:
Cute.
I assume it’s not nerdy when you cheer for someone who run round in shorts… kicking a ball?
Just because it’s a game doesn’t make it less competitive, emotional or requires less skill and practise.

Buggy Loop said:
I wish i even had half of that talent in fighting games

Btw, who is the winner? Someone known in the domain?
1st: KO (Yun)
2nd: Daigo Umehara (Ken) - THE BEAST
3rd: Justin Wong (Chun)
4th: Raoh (Chun)
5th: KSK (Alex), Kokujin (Dudley)
7th: Hsien Chang (Ken), Mike Watson (Yun)

impirius

If the Niners were so great, why were they down by 6 before The Catch?

Warm Machine: That's true, but you failed to mention that he probably would've died if he blocked any of the attacks.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
nubbe said:
Cute.
I assume it’s not nerdy when you cheer for someone who run round in shorts… kicking a ball?
Just because it’s a game doesn’t make it less competitive, emotional or requires less skill and practise.

You seem to imply that I consider the term "nerd" as something completely negative. I'd rather consider it more in the lines of "very devoted". And I'm not at all neglecting the fact that there are nerds in sports too.

Kiriku said:

that's the most fucked up part of the whole video...

HE DID IT ON PURPOSE

Daigo orchestrated the whole thing by first losing alot of energy... then you can see where the video starts, he rushes down Justin to take off just enough energy from Justin... then he backs off and baits... Justin tries to throw him off by random attacking before doing the super... doesn't work out so well for Justin...

The Faceless Master said:

HE DID IT ON PURPOSE

Daigo orchestrated the whole thing by first losing alot of energy... then you can see where the video starts, he rushes down Justin to take off just enough energy from Justin... then he backs off and baits... Justin tries to throw him off by random attacking before doing the super... doesn't work out so well for Justin...

O....M......G........

I kinda thought it looked like he was letting Justin Wong have too much time to get his super off, almost like he was waiting for it, but dismissed the thought as too crazy....

That guy is insanely skilled.

tenchir

The Faceless Master said:

HE DID IT ON PURPOSE

I noticed that too, after the heavy amount of offense, he just suddenly standthere waiting for justin to do something. I didn't hink he was that good enough to pull it off at the time.

But then if you have a sliver of health, are you really gonna take the huge risk of going on offense and getting hit? It was safer for him to wait for Wong to jump in or do some kind of attack so he could parry.

nubbe said:
Doing that during the finals… the enormous pressure… He has nerves of steel and the calm of a true master
nubbe said:
Cute.
nnnnnnnnnNNNNNEEERRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDD

ps: what do you have to do to pull off a parry? certain button combo or something?

tenchir

DarkGiygas said:
But then if you have a sliver of health, are you really gonna take the huge risk of going on offense and getting hit? It was safer for him to wait for Wong to jump in or do some kind of attack so he could parry.

What was the rule of the tournament? Single elimination match only or "best of" like 3 games out of 5? If it's the latter, I think he would risk it if he's that good.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Well all those people screaming know how hard it is to do, if you really knew what was going on, I bet you would be excited about it as well.

Mike Works said:
nnnnnnnnnNNNNNEEERRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDD

ps: what do you have to do to pull off a parry? certain button combo or something?
Tap forward on the stick just as the move hits you. That super was 7 hits, 7 hits, 1 hit, each hit also had slightly different timing.

tenchir said:
What was the rule of the tournament? Single elimination match only or "best of" like 3 games out of 5? If it's the latter, I think he would risk it if he's that good.
I'm pretty sure it was 1 match only. It was double elimination though, that video is Daigo winning the "loser's" bracket which he got put into after losing once earlier.

Ferrio

Banned
tenchir said:

It's 2 outta 3 games.

I was misinformed. It was the first match.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Where can I get the actual vid?
That's far too tiny for me to make out

Ferrio

Banned
Bruce Vilanch said:
Um, this isn't a joke thread.

I just don't know much about fighters. I've always been a button-masher.

What's the prize in that tournament?

Don't know what the actual prize amounts where... but this is how prizes work

Prizes will be awarded as follows:

* For each tournament, all of the $10 entry fees go into the pot.

* The pot will be divided among the top 3 players at a 70/20/10 ratio.

* Example: If 412 people enter the MvC2 tournament, the total pot will be $4120. 1st place will receive 70% of that ($2884), 2nd will receive 20% ($1236), and 3rd place will receive 10% ($412).

Daigo and them usually have to win to cover their costs of flying over heh.

Ferrio

Banned
Oh and for anybody that feels bad for Daigo only getting second in 3rd strike, he won the SF2 Super turbo and GGXX tournaments.

Top Bottom