• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why aren't spray bidets a standard in toiletries?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
KskjmRV.jpg

Prefix - at first I was confused as to why people are being divisive towards bidets. See, I've been using the word bidet exclusively for the spray ones. Turns out bidets apply to anything that washes your ass automatically, like those autospray things. As someone who supports bidets, yeah that would turn me off too. So now I understand the divisiveness.

As such, I made it like this. How come spray bidets aren't a standard? It's apparently the cheapest form of bidet, yet I'd argue it is the best form. You have your own control, it expels water to wherever you want, and it doesn't really make a mess. Surely it wouldn't be a problem as water is always present in a standard, working toilet. Whenever there's a bidet spray in a public restroom, it gives me comfort.

Granted, it is inferior to wet wipe rolls, but I don't think those exist yet... right?

Koozek

For real, this should become standard in the West. When I've been in countries with those type of spray bidets or whatever they're called it always felt so refreshing afterwards :D

EDIT: Tbf, I used them only in combination with squat toilets, so I've no clue how messy it is with our toilets here.

Nikodemos

The biggest problem with most buttblasters is that they draw water from the toilet line, so it's always cold. Very much so in winter.

I think you can get ones which tap into the faucet line, with adjustable hot/cold water, but they're far less common.

And yes, after 15 years of washing after a dump, I now feel enormously unclean whenever I have to take a shit in a public toilet and can''t wash afterwards.

Zaru

Having just come back from a vacation in a country where these are common but somehow everyone is a fucking idiot and leaves puddles of questionable liquid around the toilet that are impossible to avoid, thanks to spraying bidet water everywhere, I'm gonna have to pass

In a public restroom, that sounds extremely unsanitary. What happens when particles splash onto those things and then into the next person's ass? Forgive me I live in Texas

I already try to touch 0% of what other humans might have touched when using public restrooms. Yuck

Edit: is this actually an ass thing?

Servbot24

Banned
This just sounds like a complete mess. Poop-water would be splashing everywhere no matter how hard you tried to be neat. TP keeps things contained with no chance of mishap.

Boss Doggie

Having just come back from a vacation in a country where these are common but somehow everyone is a fucking idiot and leaves puddles of questionable liquid around the toilet that are impossible to avoid, thanks to spraying bidet water everywhere, I'm gonna have to pass

do they have poor aiming skills or something

This just sounds like a complete mess. Poop-water would be splashing everywhere no matter how hard you tried to be neat. TP keeps things contained with no chance of mishap.

I don't get how this would happen tho

Despera

Banned
In a public restroom, that sounds extremely unsanitary. What happens when particles splash onto those things and then into the next person's ass? Forgive me I live in Texas
You can always point the nozzle into the toilet bowl and jet out any shit particles beforehand.

And as someone who's been using bidets his entire life it never caused me any issues. Using toilet paper only feels both uncomfortable and primitive in comparison.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I ordered a cheap bidet from Amazon and put it on my toilet. The kind that you install under the seat and it intercepts the line going in to shoot a focused beam of water onto my butthole. It's great, and everyone who has tried it at my apartment has admitted it leaves them feeling way cleaner.

Once you get past the newness of it, it just feels like a logical thing to use. Shit is gross. This cleans it off better than paper. It's not that weird.

Koozek

So, if you use these spray bidets with our toilets do you go in from the front while sitting or what?

I ordered a cheap bidet from Amazon and put it on my toilet. The kind that you install under the seat and it intercepts the line going in to shoot a focused beam of water onto my butthole. It's great, and everyone who has tried it at my apartment has admitted it leaves them feeling way cleaner.

Once you get past the newness of it, it just feels like a logical thing to use. Shit is gross. This cleans it off better than paper. It's not that weird.
Actually thought about trying one of those out someday.

BosSin

As a frequent visitor to asia I can say this is vastly superior to the wests crappy solution of toilet paper.

Only France seems to almost get the idea

daegan

The ones mounted to the toilet seat that have adjustible temperature and all are what’s up (see also: washlet)

Allforce

Excuse my ignorance but how do people use these in a public restroom? Do you just reach around with the wand and spray your asshole? In front under your balls? The little spray nozzle that goes inside the toilet bowl I understand, it's hands free and just blasts your asshole from a comfortable distance but this thing just looks like a shower nozzle that every Tom, Dick, and Harry shoves in their crack or against their taint after taking a dump.

If they had this in every bathroom in America so many morons would shove this thing directly onto their puckered starfish that the nozzle would be permanently caked. Pass.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
So, if you use these spray bidets with our toilets do you go in from the front while sitting or what?

Actually thought about trying one of those out someday.
I ordered this one (it's even cheaper now than when I got it): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TPGPUW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's an expensive way to test it out and see if bidets do anything for you. Took me about 30 minutes to put it on, mainly due to my toilet being snugly between the cabinet and shower. At some point I plan on upgrading to a nicer one, but I've had this for almost 2 years now and it still works perfectly.

Chococat

I already try to touch 0% of what other humans might have touched when using public restrooms. Yuck

Your Keyboard: Dirtier Than a Toilet

Seriously, If you are washing you hands after using the public restroom and bath regularly, you are fine.

You're more likely to get sick from the door handle of a restroom than seat. Any fine particles left over is going to touch the back of your thighs, not your nether regions. How often do you touch those throughout the day? Wash your hand well, and you will be fine.

Seen GAF is mostly male, the chance of contact is further reduced simple that you can save #2 for home. Women have to contend with this conundrum every encounter. Bidet or no bidet, does the seat look nasty? If it does, a bidet would help- you can wash the seat yourself in dire situations.

I agree with bidet GAF. After years of not being able to get rid of a persistent crotch itch, switching to a bidet was a miracle.

Ask Well: Catching Disease From a Toilet Seat

Excuse my ignorance but how do people use these in a public restroom? Do you just reach around with the wand and spray your asshole? In front under your balls? The little spray nozzle that goes inside the toilet bowl I understand, it's hands free and just blasts your asshole from a comfortable distance but this thing just looks like a shower nozzle that every Tom, Dick, and Harry shoves in their crack or against their taint after taking a dump.

If they had this in every bathroom in America so many morons would shove this thing directly onto their puckered starfish that the nozzle would be permanently caked. Pass.

Nah. Perfectly sanitary (smirk on face because bidets are really about anal stimulation, nevermind how obvious of a health risk they'd be in a mass-use situation)

Your Keyboard: Dirtier Than a Toilet

Seriously, If you are washing you hands after using the public restroom and bath regularly, you are fine.

You're more likely to get sick from the door handle of a restroom than seat. Any fine particles left over is going to touch the back of your thighs, not your nether regions. How often do you touch those throughout the day? Wash your hand well, and you will be fine.

Seen GAF is mostly male, the chance of contact is further reduced simple that you can save #2 for home. Women have to contend with this conundrum every encounter. Bidet or no bidet, does the seat look nasty? If it does, a bidet would help- you can wash the seat yourself in dire situations.

I agree with bidet GAF. After years of not being able to get rid of a persistent crotch itch, switching to a bidet was a miracle.

Ask Well: Catching Disease From a Toilet Seat

I know you're serious. But.. Jesus. This is shit... from the source.

I really don't know.
I've only used one a couple of times, but it was fantastic at making my butt extra fresh. ✨👌

shira

I think in America dogs drink out of the toilet and people spend hours barfing into it.

Wouldn't work
drunk.gif

I think in America dogs drink out of the toilet and people spend hours barfing into it.

Wouldn't work
drunk.gif

And yet... keyboards are dirtier. Yeah let's see the legit case study on that

Keyboards get cleaned once a decade and we clean toilets daily (when doing it right) but there's reasons for that. Very good reasons

nOoblet16

That garden hose shit is barbaric, get a washlet.
washlet-1.jpg

This is the best solution apart from a standard bidet or even just wet wipes ( which can get expensive). The spray bidets like OP mentioned is fine for home use btw but in public toilets it won't be such a good idea because there are too many idiots who would just shove it up their ass or spray ass water everywhere..

Toilet paper alone is disgusting, I don't know why it's so common in the west to just get by using toilet paper because you are literally just smearing shit all across your buttcrack using paper. Isn't the west suppose to be like the more advanced society? lol

entremet

What's with GAF and bidets

I like a finding Jesus moment for many lol. Once you've experienced the good news about bidets, it's hard to stop talking about them.

I don't like the European style bidets, though. The Japanese washlets are incredible, though.

This is the best solution apart from a standard bidet or even just wet wipes ( which can get expensive). The spray bidets like OP mentioned is fine for home use btw.

Toilet paper alone is disgusting, I don't know why it's so common in the west to just get by using toilet paper because you are literally just smearing shit all across your buttcrack using paper. Isn't the west suppose to be like the more advanced society? lol

Well wet wipes seem to be common solution now in the days, but they're terrible for sewer systems.

nOoblet16

Well wet wipes seem to be common solution now in the days, but they're terrible for sewer systems.

They don't seem as common to me though. I'm one of the few people in my friend circle who actually uses them (can tell if you just go to your friend's house and use their toilet). And public restrooms (even the paid ones that get cleaned every hour) only have toilet papers.

But yea they are bad for sewer systems.

Nikodemos

"Flushable wet wipes" probably wins the prize for the most "technically accurate" garbage description ever. They're 'flushable' in the sense that you can physically put them in the toilet and flush them. What happens afterwards... Hoo boy.

Chococat

I know you're serious. But.. Jesus. This is shit... from the source.

Not sure where to take this comment. lol

Think of it another way- bidets are not some untried concept- they are used in many place around the world- including one's that are known for high hygiene standard, like Japan.

So why is it that most of GAF is mystified how they can be clean/hygienic?

The bulk of you must own stocks in big TP and Wet Wipes.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I've lived most of my life in countries where these are standard and 9/10 times it results in any public bathroom looking like a urine tainted swamp. People are fucking useless at not making a mess with these.

Boss Doggie

are wet wipe rolls possible though?

Unless you're really big, you simply grab the hose, bring it to your back down, then spray. Hell if you're courageous, spray and wipe since you're going to wash hands anyway.

Wouldn't work
drunk.gif

don't you people flush first before using the toilet? also spray the area too

I mean it wouldn't change if you are using toilet paper, it just means you put sheets of toilet on the rim before sitting

I've lived most of my life in countries where these are standard and 9/10 times it results in any public bathroom looking like a urine tainted swamp. People are fucking useless at not making a mess with these.
sounds more like a drainage problem

kromeo

don't you people flush first before using the toilet? also spray the area too

I mean it wouldn't change if you are using toilet paper, it just means you put sheets of toilet on the rim before sitting

I think I was still at school the last time I took a shit in a public toilet, I'd only do it if I was ill

I'd love them.

The reason bidets are more common in some countries over others is typically due to inadequate plumbing not being able to handle toilet paper, and so where toilet paper took over in North America and Western Europe 100 years ago, water buckets were more common in regions without sophisticated plumbing, and poop culture deviated.

An interesting fact is that prior to the ubiquitousness of toilet paper in North America, many Americans wiped their bum with the Sears & Roebuck catalog.

Also, regarding wet wipes, they are terrible for plumbing and are causing major problems. While they are very pleasant to use, I think every sanitation department would wish we didn't use them. They're also generally not as ecologically friendly as shitty toilet paper.

I'm thinking of having electrical outlets installed in my bathrooms at home next month. Near the toilet that is. Because I want to get the Toto Washlets.

Boss Doggie

I'd love them.

The reason bidets are more common in some countries over others is typically due to inadequate plumbing not being able to handle toilet paper, and so where toilet paper took over in North America and Western Europe 100 years ago, water buckets were more common in regions without sophisticated plumbing, and poop culture deviated.

An interesting fact is that prior to the ubiquitousness of toilet paper in North America, many Americans wiped their bum with the Sears & Roebuck catalog.

Also, regarding wet wipes, they are terrible for plumbing and are causing major problems. While they are very pleasant to use, I think every sanitation department would wish we didn't use them. They're also generally not as ecologically friendly as shitty toilet paper.

Yeah in my country basins are popular than toilet paper.

I just bought and installed one of these. Game changer.

I really wish I knew OP. I've made Thread about this before too. I guess Americans (or wherever you're from) don't like clean butts.

Top Bottom