• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why buy the original Wii component cable instead of a cheaper 3rd party cable?

sphinx

the piano man
I always prefer original products so I already went to 3 electronic stores to try to buy the original, from nintendo produced, Wii component cable and it is nowhere to be found, only third party cables.

Upon some research on Ebay, the wii original cable is 3 or 4 times more expensive than ANY of the third party offerings! Why the hell is that?

are the third party component cables reliable? cause I am ready with my money to buy those cables I just found in the store yesterday.

thanks!

I'm using a third-party component cable that I got for a couple of quid off ebay. Works perfectly.

I've compared it with a friend's official cable and can see no difference whatsover.

Some things are worth the 1st party premium, but Wii component cables are not one of them.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Beats me. It not like the Gamecube cable, which had a special chip in it, the Wii One I think is just s wire.

Last generation I bought third party and first party cables for both my Xbox and Gamecube, bought several different third party brands actually, and found out that the picture quality was wrose (more scanlines, not as sharp) and from then I decided just to go first party with everything going forward.

Research them or make a thread at a gaming board about this "dilemma".

Seems some third party cables are complete ass but if you get decent ones from a decent company, you don't need to get the ultra expensive official ones but you will still feel a vast amount of guilt that you are not technically playing with power.

Chesh

I bought a 3rd party Component cable and for the most part it works great but some VC games display terribly. Link to the Past is unplayable because of graphical corruption and (i think it was) Super Mario World looks like every other line is missing.

I have a 40" Sony Bravia V. I don't know if having an official cable would fix this.

bought the Big Ben component cable for 9 euros and they work perfectly.
I don't think there's much difference.

in the GC RGB cable era though...

big_z

Chairhome said:
Third party cables are hit or miss. I think some people have ghosting issues with some third party cables.

i have some ghosting with mine and i have the official nintendo cable. maybe the wii output is just that bad...

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
4032u.jpg

luxarific said:
I bought my third-party Wii component cables at Monoprice - have never had a problem with them.
I got mine from monoprice, and the audio crackles at high frequencies (the chiming of the Wii menu, selecting menus in NSMB Wii, etc.). I won't even get into the convoluted customer service experience that kept me from even bothering with trying to exchange them. Bottom line, I would recommend a different outlet based on my experiences.

I got a third party one from monoprice back near the launch of the system, and it works great for wii, gamecube, and vc titles. not a single hiccup.

Varion

I've got 2 third-party component cables because I just can't seem to find any official ones here. 1 for the PSP, one for the Wii, both from Game, and both have given me occasional flickering issues. Not exactly unbearably bad, but I'd still rather they didn't. Probably would've paid the extra for official ones if I could find them - even if they aren't actually any more reliable you sort of feel like they should be.

Of course, that feeling's exactly what companies capitalise on when setting their stupidly high cable prices.

Binabik15

20021125h.gif

Cables are crazy.

I need a 7,5 m HDMI cable to connect my pc to my tv and the online hardwareshop onlyhas Oehlbach cables for 280€. Yeah, I think I´m going with the 10€ one from ebay, thank you. Of course that´s a digital cable, but it´s not like the non-branded analogue stuff is made from wire hangers wraped in tape.

never had any problems with my official cable
my firend has a thrid-party one and it's super flaky. lots of noise.

we have used both cables on the same TV and console and it's night and day.

WillyFive

InfiniteNine said:
What happened to the "of quality" part of that seal?

The seal means that it is not a pirated product, officially sanctioned by Nintendo.

The "of quality" part was part of their marketing in the late 80's, early 90's. They dropped it when they realized they can't put it in every game because they themselves can't guarantee the quality of third party games.

LosDaddie

Banned
Because 1st party component cables were all I could find at the Wii's launch....and I needed to play Zelda TP in 480p

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I got mine from monoprice, and the audio crackles at high frequencies (the chiming of the Wii menu, selecting menus in NSMB Wii, etc.). I won't even get into the convoluted customer service experience that kept me from even bothering with trying to exchange them. Bottom line, I would recommend a different outlet based on my experiences.

Oh wow I have this issue too. I thought it was just my old crappy TV speakers, didn't even think it would be the cables...

DonMigs85

My component cable is branded "Blackhorns". I've never seen how the official cable's picture quality looks, but this Blackhorns one does seem to have some minor red color bleeding.
My cousin has one those multi-PS2/PS3/Xbox 360/Wii cables and every now and then the screen flickers. I would say to avoid those types.

linkboy

I've got the Monoprice component cables and I don't have any problems with them.

They work great with my new TV (37" Samsung)

IMG_0618.JPG

Those cables with my new TV, Wave Race looks great.

I've tried both third party (Monoprice) and official cables. My first set of third party cables introduced some nasty artifacting into the picture, but I had no problems with the second set. Later on, I got a set of official cables and gave my friend the others, and I haven't had any problems at all. For cables carrying analog signals, I've always preferred official variants, but most third party options should be just as good.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
luxarific said:
I bought my third-party Wii component cables at Monoprice - have never had a problem with them.

Another vote for monoprice cables. Out of all the cables I've ordered from them, I've only had problems with one (a crossover Ethernet cable), and you cant beat the price.

Chesh said:
I bought a 3rd party Component cable and for the most part it works great but some VC games display terribly. Link to the Past is unplayable because of graphical corruption and (i think it was) Super Mario World looks like every other line is missing.

I have a 40" Sony Bravia V. I don't know if having an official cable would fix this.
I know on games like Castlevania ReBirth (which is basically SNES quality graphics) despite the game being a 4:3 window no matter what picture setting you set you get a much worse picture if the Wii is set to 16:9 than if it is set to 4:3. The reason for that being the 16:9 output is anamorphic (the image is 4:3 then stretched, in a retro game where the pixels stand out you're getting the side pixels squashed to add the borders to the image so the gameplay fills a 4:3 box).

Assuming the Virtual Console output is handled in the same way I'd try setting the Wii and the TV to 4:3 and seeing you get an improvement. I can't remember if VC games automatically output as if being output on 4:3 or not.

Though if you're in Europe most VC games display in 576i only which gives a much worse picture than 480p.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't assume official cables are even the best ones. Many of the aftermarket ones are equal or better. My Rocketfish cable is constructed like it was a Monster cable, thick and gold plated, but it cost me $20. Picture quality seems great.

KHarvey16

I've got a set of 3rd party component cables on my Wii and haven't had any issue. Not sure what brand they are though.

GrotesqueBeauty said:

What made you think it's the cable? Could be a number of reasons.

Just curious, does anyone use those "Universal Component Cables" like this one?

I just got my Hauppauge HD PVR and thought it'd be easier to get an extra cable to simply swap out of my console and plug into the device. It would be even easier to have an All-in-one cable instead of seperate cables. Of course if these are bad, I could spring for the extra, better cable.

TunaLover

I have both, the official Nintendo one, and a cheap third party, they works exactly the same, except for the design, the Nintendo logo, and the materials, both make the job done.

Choppasmith said:
Just curious, does anyone use those "Universal Component Cables" like this one?

I just got my Hauppauge HD PVR and thought it'd be easier to get an extra cable to simply swap out of my console and plug into the device. It would be even easier to have an All-in-one cable instead of seperate cables. Of course if these are bad, I could spring for the extra, better cable.
I have something similar that I use for my ps2 and wii and it works fine.

Top Bottom