• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why can`t every Xbox game be "Play anywhere" in Windows Store?

Gamezone

Gold Member
This actually has lots of potensial. If every game released on Xbox was "Play Anywhere" on Windows PC, it would be awsome for those who is already invested in the Xbox Live ecosystem and wants to game on PC. Why is this so hard for Microsoft to achieve?

FrankCaron

True, but almost every game released on the Xbox One also get released on Steam, so it`s not about making special ports.
The certification process likely requires a bunch of additional testing and potentially even some utilization of special APIs in-game relating to Xbox Live, which would add dev cost.

NickFire

I would assume that anything not published by MS would need permission from license holders. And until MS has the power to force them into voluntarily reducing their sales by creating one market for two systems (Xbox and PC), they would be stupid to go along from a business standpoint. Same work making the games for less sales, all to benefit MS.

As an aside, while it would be cool for consumers, I think the benefits would somehow end up screwing gamers over big time. MS has been talking all nice and rosey these last couple years, but that is solely because they are still trying to make the best of a bad situation in terms of console market share. Underneath the surface is a ruthless corporation that would love to kill off the competition.

Codes 208

If we are talking every game. I imagine third parties would be pissed if they did that without their consent. Because there people who double-dip and this could hurt that.

Leonidas

Good luck getting EA, Activision/Blizzard, Epic or Ubisoft allowing their games to run on PC without forcing you to download their clients...

Last edited:

Fbh

Because then someone from, say, EA walks into the room and is like:
"Tell me why I should gift a free PC copy of Battlefield 1 to everyone who got it for X1 instead of them, you know, directly buying it from us over at Origin"

Top Bottom