• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why can't we have Sega Racing Classic (Daytona USA) on XBLA/PSN?

There shouldn't be any licensing problem because of the name change.

16038501.jpg

16038502.jpg

16038201.jpg

It would be awesome to have an arcade-exact port of Daytona USA (at 720p) for play at home. Sega should then go ahead and port Daytona USA 2, calling it Sega Racing Classic 2.

Daytona USA was the most successful arcade game of all time. Certainly Sega Racing Classic wouldn't be as successful on XBLA/PSN without the Daytona USA name, but it would be an easy port for SEGA and easy $$$.

Come on Sega, please? You ported After Burner Climax to both XBLA and PSN, why not Sega Racing Classic ?

Ditto for the original Sega Rally. That Sega has completely failed to monetise the two biggest arcade games ever in the home markets apart from terrible old Dreamcast ports speaks volumes about the company.

Suairyu

Banned
Gravijah said:
Is there anything as great as a mid 90s arcade racer?
I thought Outrun 2 was a worthy successor to the breed. Indeed, I would argue it was the best of the genre and will remain truly timeless.

Remus

Does that version still have the Daytona USA theme song? That is essential to the experience.

"DAYTONAAAA! Let's go away!"

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Remus said:
Does that version still have the Daytona USA theme song? That is essential to the experience.

What do you think?

VariantX

Remus said:

If they cant use the Daytona name, one would logically conclude they cant use the song with Daytona in it....

Gravijah

Suairyu said:
I thought Outrun 2 was a worthy successor to the breed. Indeed, I would argue it was the best of the genre and will remain truly timeless.

OutRun 2 is a lonely exception. The greatest arcade racer (imo) of all time, though.

Suairyu

Banned
Gravijah said:
OutRun 2 is a lonely exception. The greatest arcade racer (imo) of all time, though.
When you're that good, you don't need friends.

That said, SEGA Rally from SRS, whilst not 90s arcade style, was certainly very, very good and very, very SEGA.

OutRun2 on Xbox was really sweet. It even had these bonus tracks based on Scud Race aka Sega Super GT *and* Daytona USA 2. The sad thing is, they didn't look as good as the Model 3 arcade versions. It's sad because the original Xbox is more powerful than the Model 3 board.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Gravijah said:
Is there anything as great as a mid 90s arcade racer?
Not really.

As for this, the only reason why it hasn't happened yet is that Sega hates me and isamu and everyone else that loves arcade racers. There are still some keepers of the flame, though- Sumo Digital, the Ridge Racer team, Raw Thrills.

DJ_Tet

Banned
herzogzwei1989 said:
That's not me, but I'll bet he will show up in this thread sooner or later ^__^

My bet is randomly, around 4:30 am on a Tuesday 8 months from now with a lot of punctuation marks!!???1!!!1 :)

herzogzwei1989 said:
There shouldn't be any licensing problem because of the name change.

16038501.jpg

16038502.jpg

16038201.jpg

It would be awesome to have an arcade-exact port of Daytona USA (at 720p) for play at home. Sega should then go ahead and port Daytona USA 2, calling it Sega Racing Classic 2.

Daytona USA was the most successful arcade game of all time. Certainly Sega Racing Classic wouldn't be as successful on XBLA/PSN without the Daytona USA name, but it would be an easy port for SEGA and easy $$$.

Come on Sega, please? You ported After Burner Climax to both XBLA and PSN, why not Sega Racing Classic ?

Its because Sega rather give you more Sonic games. I would love to see Daytona 1 and 2 come out on XBox Live/PSN, but I doubt it will happen for the obvious reasons.

SkylineRKR

Battle on the Edge, Scud Race, This, Sega Rally 2 arcade... feed us, Sega!

Its ridiculous, the consoles never did see a perfect Daytona port. The original Saturn game had perfect handling, but was visually quite a disappointment.

Play the Crazy Taxi port on the PSN and revel in the suck.

Sega doesn't do arcade to console ports anymore. that shit is a port of the shitty PC game and without the iconic Offspring music to boot.

Let me explain why in 3 steps:

1)SEGA ported over sega rally 3 to XBLA, this version was a super stripped down REVO and shit compared to sega rally 1 and 2
2) I doubt it's done much in sales
3) SEGA will think these kind of games don't sell.

Now I bet if a sega rally 1/2 arcade, scud race, virtua racing were all on xbla they would do well but sega won't believe in giving them a chance.

What sega should do is release a virtual room of sorts like hasbo's game room thing, then sell sega rally, daytona, scudrace and VR through that for 400 MSP each, it would WORK!

SkylineRKR

I like SR Online Arcade. Its the same as SR3 arcade but with half the framerate (keep in mind though that the arcade hardware was powerful). Its not really different from that game otherwise. If you hate this, you'll hate SR3 as well.

I do agree its not the best entry and it likely didn't sell on PSN and Live. Thus it doesn't bode well for us.

polyh3dron said:
Play the Crazy Taxi port on the PSN and revel in the suck.

Sega doesn't do arcade to console ports anymore. that shit is a port of the shitty PC game and without the iconic Offspring music to boot.

Afterburner Climax is a perfect port. And its being ported in house as well.

SkylineRKR said:
I like SR Online Arcade. Its the same as SR3 arcade but with half the framerate (keep in mind though that the arcade hardware was powerful).

Yeah, Sega Rally 3 ran on the Europa-R arcade board, which had an Nvidia G80 (GeForce 8800) which was more powerful than either Xbox 360's Xenos and PS3's RSX.

Afterburner Climax is a perfect port. And its being ported in house as well.

Indeed. After Burner Climax in the arcade used the Lindbergh board which used an NV40 (GeForce 6800) so the Xbox 360 and PS3 GPUs were more powerful in most aspects. Even though 6800 had 16 ROPs and a 256-bit bus connected to the GDDR3 RAM. The shader performance on consoles was significantly more powerful, amoung other things.

I liked SR online arcade but it was nothing special, now Afterburner Climax I still play on my 360 after all this time because it's brilliant.

Might not help that I played revo to death on both 360 and pc years ago, I still favor sega rally 2 as the best one overall, even the dreamcast port is better then SR online arcade.

I still play my genesis cartridge of VIRTUA RACING because I love that game, still fun after all these years.

I'm so tired of not being able to play Daytona USA 2 at home. The visuals are brillant even though it doesn't play like the original. I think Dreamcast could've handled a decent conversion even if not an arcade-exact port. However the Xbox, GameCube and Wii could've easily handled arcade-exact ports, though. Sega has no excuse, just like NAMCO has none for not porting Rave Racer. The PC version for PowerVR cards was canceled. However at least we get to play the Rave Racer tracks on PSP Ridge Racer/s 1 & 2.

SkylineRKR

I was addicted to Climax in the Arcade so I considered this port to be one of Sega's few great decisions of this generation. I wonder how much Hideki Kamiya had to do with it as he specifically asked for this game to be ported.

But its criminal that we wouldn't get those race games at home. Although Model 3 was likely more powerful/ a whole different beast altogether than the Dreamcast and the Ps2 generation deemed them games not relevant enough. But now on Live and PSN it would be a good time. Maybe we have to hope for Sumo Digital, they also came up with a port of GTI Club all of a sudden and in all fairness they did a good job with that.

But then again, Sega... they botched SR2 on DC by providing us with a Windows port and they let Genki work on VF3... way to deal with your flagship titles.

Until recently I still played Daytona 2 in the Arcade when I had the chance. It held up reasonably well, blistering speed and framerate never get old. Slingshot!

SkylineRKR said:
Until recently I still played Daytona 2 in the Arcade when I had the chance. It held up reasonably well, blistering speed and framerate never get old. Slingshot!

Model 3 never drops a frame. The twin GPUs can be locked down to hold either 60fps/Hz or 30fps/Hz. AFAIK every Model 3 game was 60fps and never slowed down because of that hardware feature.

herzogzwei1989 said:
Model 3 never drops a frame. The twin GPUs can be locked down to hold either 60fps/Hz or 30fps/Hz. AFAIK every Model 3 game was 60fps and never slowed down because of that hardware feature.
we fucking need this shit on the next gen of consoles for fuck's sake

cj_iwakura

herzogzwei1989 said:

Sega are hardware kings. We need them back in the console industry.

All is forgiven!

I never left your side, Sega.

SEGA hates life without its own console. The arcade ports on Dreamcast were unreal.
They just do shitty ports now to make you suffer for killing their hardware division.

Diablohead said:
Let me explain why in 3 steps:

1)SEGA ported over sega rally 3 to XBLA, this version was a super stripped down REVO and shit compared to sega rally 1 and 2
2) I doubt it's done much in sales
3) SEGA will think these kind of games don't sell.

Now I bet if a sega rally 1/2 arcade, scud race, virtua racing were all on xbla they would do well but sega won't believe in giving them a chance.

What sega should do is release a virtual room of sorts like hasbo's game room thing, then sell sega rally, daytona, scudrace and VR through that for 400 MSP each, it would WORK!

With so many remakes coming i wouldn't be surprised to see this game come out.

Top Bottom