• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did Sony drop the price of the vita? Hiroshi Kawano explains:

DaBoss

ps3...we saw how well that went.
Still the Vita not being hacked is probably why it won't do psp numbers anyway.
Unless all these people that bought psp ground it to dust to put in their meal or something.

The PSP had rampant piracy didn't it? I guess that is a contributing factor. I think it also affects the 3DS in a negative way too. I'm pretty sure DS flashcarts were huge for the DS when they came out.

Mael

The PSP had rampant piracy didn't it? I guess that is a contributing factor. I think it also affects the 3DS in a negative way too. I'm pretty sure DS flashcarts were huge for the DS when they came out.

Nah the flash cart was later, 2 to 3 years after the DS was out.
PSP was rampant from circa DSlite (2006).
Psp sold quite a bunch in 2012(so says nintendo) and yet no games sold any significant amount.
Suggesting that people bought games digitally is kind of laughable considering the selection.
Vita won't get a free ride thanks to piracy here, it needs games more than anything.
And by games I mean real effort that apparently SCEJ will never give.

I think you are mistaken - it isn't Wii U thread.

People want Vita but it needs to be cheaper and have more games.

Keep telling yourself that.

? Well that the same problem wiiu Is faceing lol

The causes for the poor WiiU sales are quite a bit different.

Vita's biggest issue is the high price of entry. First and foremost that's the issue that needs to be solved because even with the best games in the world, a 250 dollar handheld game device with a proprietary memory card that brings the cost closer to 300 is a very hard sell. I honestly don't see price being an issue with the WiiU.

They seem to be addressing this issue, however, as the article notes, the Vita will still be more expensive than the most expensive 3DS model, so it's still a hard sell.

QaaQer

I love how people are acting like Joe Gamer enter a store and see a Vita look at the price of the mem cards and decide that it's just not for him but if only that was cheaper he would have bought one and told all his friends how awesome it is and now all his friends would be Vita addicts somehow.

Which people, I wanna laugh too.

You know, Sony wouldn't be losing money on the Vita hardware if only they made it a phone and sold it with a contract.

The Vita OS is nowhere near mature enough to be put on a phone. They can't dual boot with android because it wouldn't be as user friendly and due to piracy concerns. A gaming tablet with an ecosystem for general apps, music/mp3, ebook store integrated with the rest of psn is the way to go. After that matures, you can release a vita phone in the end of 2014.

There will definitely be a bump from the price drop/SS/PSO2, but if it's not below 15k/week by the end of March (if not sub-10K), I'll be amazed.

aaaaaa

Sony tends to not give up on their flops quickly. For instance they kept pushing the MiniDisc format long after it clearly wasn't going to succeed.

It would have to be half its original price and get several system selling exclusives at this point... to reach Gamecube levels of success. I sense that people who retain hope for Vita's recovery have lost track of time. Vita has been out for 14 months and has seen two holiday seasons in Japan already. Retailers and the majority of publishers seem to have given up on it in favor of the safer bet.

You're releasing a new console this year

You should probably focus more on that instead on a zombie handheld

This line of thinking makes no sense. Vita is having a rough first year so the first thing to do is...scrap it completely and pretend it never happened?

If Sony wants it to be successful they need to focus MORE on it, not less.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I think you are mistaken - it isn't Wii U thread.

yeah, because Sony clearly has ips that can be easily compared to Nintendo's in terms of mass market appeal

you're looking at two extremely different situations here, don't fool yourself

KalBalboa

Banned
This line of thinking makes no sense. Vita is having a rough first year so the first thing to do is...scrap it completely and pretend it never happened?

If Sony wants it to be successful they need to focus MORE on it, not less.

It's baffling, isn't it? I'll never understand that line of thinking. It's a desire for self-fulfilling failure.

saichi

They put out a bunch of awesome games and it still didn't sell that well.

So they're cutting the price. Mystery solved.

Other than Gravity Rush, what awesome game did Sony put out in 2012 in Japan?

Also, it took them the whole 2012 to realize they need to cut the price, especially giving up the holiday period?

Brilliant.

Retailers need shelf space this fall for the new consoles. I can't imagine Vita space NOT being the first thing cut. That hurts it even further in the eyes of consumers.

Given the length of software development cycles, its hard to imagine ANYTHING turning the Vita around in the West before the upcoming retail space crunch. unless there are some secret AAA titles being finished in the next 6 months. And I'm not talking about console ports.

Nibel

I didn't want to upset you guys

I'm just angry about the way everything went down with the Vita so far; I recently took the dust of mine and played some stuff, it really deserves a lot better - especially for not destroying my hands :lol

Hope it will be heavily supported on PS4

KalBalboa

Banned

Also, it took them the whole 2012 to realize they need to cut the price, especially giving up the holiday period?

Brilliant.

Should they have not dropped the price? It seems that might have made you happier.

UberTag

Brilliant.
Just to play devil's advocate, what awesome game did Sony put out in 2012 in Japan for PS3?
Because I see one awesome game for Vita and ZERO homegrown awesome games for PS3. 1 is a bigger number than zero.

dab0ne

They're slowly building their library and I love it. I take comfort in the fact that I'm covered for at least another year. We got some good ones coming up:

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus 2
Killzone Mercenary
Soul Sacrifice
Tearaway
Dragon's Crown
Hotline Miami
DOA 5+
Muramasa Rebirth

What I'm hoping for between tonight and E-3

God of War
Infamous
GTA
PS2 games through Gaikai

Nah, this is a good platform. It's already got great games and more to come. I'm a little worried but not enough to think it's going to completely die.

Edit:
Strangely they did with PSP Go...I definitely don't see it happening twice.

Well that was part of the PSP platform, they just gave up on that version. They did the same with the original PS3's but they didn't completely kill off the PS3 as a system, just certain versions. If you noticed, they dropped the price of the 3G vita to the same price as the WiFi Vita in Japan. I bet they're phasing that model out. I mean do we really need 3G for the vita?

Vita isn't selling, or rather it is selling at sub-dreamcast levels

better to focus on a platform that has a chance of selling well for both business reasons and the fact they will reach more consumers

dedicating resources to the vita will be nice for the tiny number of people who actually bought one. but for those of us smart enough to avoid the vita it's just annoying, and we outnumber vita owners by a lot

I see, because whether or not you buy a Vita is a matter of intelligence. Smart people (or at least "smart enough", we don't really know what the bar is) don't buy the Vita, and people like me who buy a Vita are stupid. And wanting Sony to support the Vita is stupid too. And smart people don't want Sony to support the Vita. Okay, so long as we're clear...

That's probably the missing link on why the Vita is doing so much worse than the psp,
not even hackers care about hacking the thing to get freebees.
Heck that's why people didn't buy any psp software to begin with, Vita probably sell as much software anyway, which would indicate that mass piracy was never the problem of the psp but merely that the offer wasn't interesting enough to warrant a purchase.
LOL - ya right... I think they're trying like crazy to crack it... THEY ARE FAILING... Basically the Vita's a tough nut to crack...

As for the software sales, the current attach rate appears to be about 2.5 for physical releases, and the Vita is a digital-centric system, so I'd bet when all is said and done the Vita will easily beat the PSP's software attach rate...

And it is very likely that piracy was a huge problem for the PSP; Peace Walker sold something like 100,000 copies in NA its first week (total NA sales ~400K), while the torrent for the CSO was downloaded more than 2 million times in the same time period... God of War Ghost of Sparta sold only ~34K copies in NA, while within a month of its release a single torrent of the rip had more than 5 million downloads and 2K seeders on one popular torrent site... those are insane discrepancies...

Sony tends to not give up on their flops quickly. For instance they kept pushing the MiniDisc format long after it clearly wasn't going to succeed.
MiniDisc was actually quite popular in the music industry, and found a niche there for a number of years... My friends and I used ours for home recording and swapping music for ages, and I'm sure it was ultimately quite profitable for Sony; they only discontinued it when it was clear that digital memory was superseding the disc as a storage medium...

Frillen

They're slowly building their library and I love it. I take comfort in the fact that I'm covered for at least another year. We got some good ones coming up:

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus 2
Killzone Mercenary
Soul Sacrifice
Tearaway
Dragon's Crown
Hotline Miami
DOA 5+
Muramasa Rebirth

What I'm hoping for between tonight and E-3

God of War
Infamous
GTA
PS2 games through Gaikai

Nah, this is a good platform. It's already got great games and more to come. I'm a little worried but not enough to think it's going to completely die.

Edit:

Well that was part of the PSP platform, they just gave up on that version. They did the same with the original PS3's but they didn't completely kill off the PS3 as a system, just certain versions. If you noticed, they dropped the price of the 3G vita to the same price as the WiFi Vita in Japan. I bet they're phasing that model out. I mean do we really need 3G for the vita?

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus 2 Port
Killzone Mercenary Killzone has never been a big series
Soul Sacrifice Will only do damage in Japan
Tearaway Too niche
Dragon's Crown Also for the PS3
Hotline Miami Port
DOA 5+ Port
Muramasa Rebirth Port

saichi

Just to play devil's advocate, what awesome game did Sony put out in 2012 in Japan for PS3?
Because I see one awesome game for Vita and ZERO homegrown awesome games for PS3. 1 is a bigger number than zero.

I'm not the one claiming Sony put out a bunch of awesome games on Vita. why are you talking to me?

They put out a bunch of awesome games and it still didn't sell that well.

______

Should they have not dropped the price? It seems that might have made you happier.

No. You are the one saying saying When a product is floundering you act. I'm just saying they are not acting fast enough.

Boulayman

Keep telling yourself that.

Hmm well that is true for me. I want one but there are no games for it that I was interested in ( apart from Uncharted and gravity rush) and as far as I known not a single one I am interested in that was announced. So I got a 3ds xl instead despite liking the vita better because there were more games for it that I was interested in.

dab0ne

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus 2 Port
Killzone Mercenary Killzone has never been a big series
Soul Sacrifice Will only do damage in Japan
Tearaway Too niche
Dragon's Crown Also for the PS3
Hotline Miami Port
DOA 5+ Port
Muramasa Rebirth Port

Ninja Gaiden isn't a direct port. There have been Vita modifications done to it.
Killzone is big enough.
Soul Sacrafice will do just fine in the states
Tearaway is about as Niche as LBP
Hotline Miami is a port but it has crossplay which is awesome
DOA 5+ Has Crossplay
Muramasa Rebirth added a jump button :p

Besides, there's nothing wrong with ports, espcially since they're not direct ports. Many of these games have been reworked for the Vita. If there were nobody would buy the MGS HD, God of War HD, DMC HD, Silent Hill HD, or ICO/SotC HD versions.

Snakeyes

Besides, there's nothing wrong with ports, espcially since they're not direct ports. Many of these games have been reworked for the Vita. If there were nobody would buy the MGS HD, God of War HD, DMC HD, Silent Hill HD, or ICO/SotC HD versions.
There's nothing wrong with ports unless they're pretty much the only thing a struggling platform has to offer.

If they're a "little" behind, I wonder what would constitute as a "lot."

You can try to push as hard as you can but it doesn't matter if there isn't an audience for it. I firmly belief that is the case for the vita, atleast in the West.

Top Bottom