• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did The Elder Scrolls Online get a much better reception than Fallout 76 at their respective launches?

Why was ESO received much better than F76 at launch?

• 76 was more buggy/unstable

Votes: 28 42.4%
  • ESO had better marketing

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • 76 had too little content

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • ESO was just a better game overall

Votes: 35 53.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • They were equally shit launches

Votes: 5 7.6%

• Total voters
Might just be my incorrect perception of their launches but I'm pretty sure ESO didn't get the cold reception 76 did.

Should be obvious but I'm comparing the two because they're multiplayer releases of Bethesda open world games that people got instead of standard singleplayer releases.

I have a few guesses like bugs, or poor marketing strategy but I'm curious about what the general consensus is

Aion002

ESO always had NPCs and it felt overall like a single player TES with online capabilities. While F76 was an empty Fallout without NPCs and a clear storyline, while having tossed mmorpg stuff on it for the sake of it.

Basically: ESO world felt complete, while F76 was an empty sandbox game with quest markers.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
ESO was a fully fledged MMO from a studio that had a solid plan of what they wanted to do. They misstepped a bit, but it was fine.

Fo76 wasn’t really sure what it wanted to be, and getting that engine to function at all online was a miracle, so it was glitchy as hell.

additionally, ESO had the lore and world building down Pat from day 1, where 76 struggled due to being limited to old writings and recordings. It didn’t help that it’s set a long time before any other fallout as well.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
ESO was clearly not developed by Bethesda so the disappointment that it existed instead of ES6 wasn't really a thing. FO76 on the other had was developed by Bethesda so people saw it as a reason for no ES6 or FO5 for a while and were ready to hate on it hard for the slightest issue. It then launched with major issues so all those people who were pissed from the start just unloaded on it. If the 2 games were of equal quality at launch, only FO76 had a disappointed fan base ready to rip it apart. They weren't so FO76 got the full hate of everyone who just wanted another Bethesda RPG.

ESO was clearly not developed by Bethesda
Well this is news to me, seriously?
Still I doubt most people knew that.
edit: forgot Zenimax had their name all over this.

But yeah, the rest of your post sums up my confusion. The fallout fanbase was definitely ready to jump on any slight issue.
Might have been because Fallout 4 was a little more polarizing than Skyrim as well as the most recent Bethesda release so the fans were hoping for something really good.

Plus they did have that 'we believe in singleplayer' ad which probably didn't help.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Because fallout 76 is one of the worst games ever made
Ehem

Life of Black Tiger.

Sony removed cyberpunk2077, while this garbage is still on their service.

SJRB

Gold Member
ESO was infinitely less buggy and even though it wasn't really an Elder Scrolls game, it was an actual game. A complete product more or less that worked as intended. Not a mishmash of incredibly poor and cynical design decisions with zero quality testing ducktaped together by a dogshit engine coded by three interns and a monkey.

What a proxy poll. Both launches were human disasters.
I don't play either but I'm pretty sure one has a permanent place on several "worst launches in gaming history" lists as well as horrible public opinion, and the other seems to have had consistently respectable public opinion since launch.

TrueLegend

I don't play either but I'm pretty sure one has a permanent place on several "worst launches in gaming history" lists as well as horrible public opinion, and the other seems to have had consistently respectable public opinion since launch.
Then refrain from making such polls. I bought ESO. The response at launch was overwhelmingly negative. Both games are played a lot these days because they improved over time but at launch, ESO was as bad as it goes. AngryJoe is last I check the biggest independent reviewer just (in terms of subscribers, maybe not in relevance) and is also known for coming hard on bad games, he rated ESO PVE 4/10 and Fallout 76 3/10. P.S. I am using him for an example not promoting him. One launched in 2014 one in 2018 so the stink is fresh with Fallout76 that doesn't make ESO launch better.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Apparently you don't remember the actual ESO launch...you know, where there was such a big stink about a sub fee that literally no one played it, lol

Then refrain from making such polls. I bought ESO. The response at launch was overwhelmingly negative.
Nah, man. I'm not saying ESO is or was great.

But I believe, and several publicly available metrics (including your AngryJoe reviews example, since he apparently gave ESO a 5/10 "painfully average" overall, compared to his 3/10 "completely boring" for 76) show, that F76 had a notably worse response.

Seems like you want a "they were both equally shit" poll option though

MrA

Banned
Ehem

Life of Black Tiger.

Sony removed cyberpunk2077, while this garbage is still on their service.
Hyperbole is standard practice, and you think life of black tiger is bad, then let me tell you about a little game called heavy Nova
A 2d scrolling beatem up, you have an action meter that depletes when attacking or being hit, it auto refills at 1 point every second
if it drops to 0 you fall down and can't stand up till it reaches 20, now at 20 you auto stand but can't move till it reaches 30
So the gameplay is get knocked down wait 20 seconds to stand up, get knocked down again during the 10 second wait to move, wait 20 again get knocked down while you can't move, repeat until you turn off the console

ESO had different types of troubles at launch but it was chock full of content that could be single played if you chose to do that.
Fallout 76 was a big ole empty.

Last edited:

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
F76 was the Cyberpunk of its time. All the hate was out of proportion. Of course, this does not mean that the game hadn't issues at launch and nowadays it is a much better product.

WizeVibez

Banned
Elder Scrolls Online was barely trying to be a true ES game, and most people knew that going in.
F76 tried very hard to emulate the traditional Bethesda rpg style in a multiplayer setting and failed hardcore, adding the buggy/instability on top was nearly a deathblow.
I'd still rather play the broken Skyrim Together mod than F76.

kingfey

Banned
Hyperbole is standard practice, and you think life of black tiger is bad, then let me tell you about a little game called heavy Nova
A 2d scrolling beatem up, you have an action meter that depletes when attacking or being hit, it auto refills at 1 point every second
if it drops to 0 you fall down and can't stand up till it reaches 20, now at 20 you auto stand but can't move till it reaches 30
So the gameplay is get knocked down wait 20 seconds to stand up, get knocked down again during the 10 second wait to move, wait 20 again get knocked down while you can't move, repeat until you turn off the console
I feel like, that game was specifically designed for a certain people. S&M.
s&m pain GIF by David Firth

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Elder Scrolls Online also had a very tepid launch with some scolding reviews, but the main reason it was received better than Fallout 76 was that it achieved what it was trying to do and the messaging on what type of game it was - was very clear until it launched.

The main reason Fallout 76 was received so poorly was the deceptive marketing from Bethesda.

It didn't, Fat Angry Man and the other copy/paste "personalities" on youtube shat on it just as much as they shat on FO76 for the quick likes, subscribes, and donations. Both games have vastly improved since their launch.

The main reason Fallout 76 was received so poorly was the deceptive marketing from Bethesda.

What "deceptive marketing" was there? Unless you're talking about the whole fabric thing from the collectors edition bag or whatever.

Yes it is.
That's why they were selling for £12 on release

And there's the problem with all the twitch and youtube cucks. People like you actually get INFLUENCED by what they say, and then parrot the same dumb shit all over the internet like a retarded chimp. I'd love somebody to OBJECTIVELY compare FO3, 4, and 76, and why 76 is SO MUCH WORSE than the others. Because they've literally expanded on pretty much everything in the series with 76. It's still got plenty of issues but it's a great Fallout game.

Same with ESO, people are easily influenced by cucks on youtube and twitch and it's really weird.

SLB1904

Banned
And there's the problem with all the twitch and youtube cucks. People like you actually get INFLUENCED by what they say, and then parrot the same dumb shit all over the internet like a retarded chimp. I'd love somebody to OBJECTIVELY compare FO3, 4, and 76, and why 76 is SO MUCH WORSE than the others. Because they've literally expanded on pretty much everything in the series with 76. It's still got plenty of issues but it's a great Fallout game.

Same with ESO, people are easily influenced by cucks on youtube and twitch and it's really weird.
No it isn't. Shit is trash.
I could tell the amount of garbage is in that game but it won't fit in this page.

I'm at work I can't access my steam library to rub on your face.

GymWolf

I don't know how any bethesda game gets better reception than f76 tbh...they all have the same exact flaws every damn time.

Neil Young

Might just be my incorrect perception of their launches but I'm pretty sure ESO didn't get the cold reception 76 did.

Should be obvious but I'm comparing the two because they're multiplayer releases of Bethesda open world games that people got instead of standard singleplayer releases.

I have a few guesses like bugs, or poor marketing strategy but I'm curious about what the general consensus is
Have you played the games? Why do you think?

I played both at launch and currently here and there.

76 wasn't NEARLY as bad as all the internet drama queens made it out to be. (Fuck, I'm so tired of the overreaction bs for YouTube clicks and karma) "OMG, the duffle bag wasn't cloth!!!". Yes, it did not contain NPCs but still had the awesome world to explore and nicely fleshed out stories told in audio logs. The sense of being in a real post nuclear war world felt creepy and genuine. They provided a million updates and it's a good game.

ESO was also decent at launch. They had the typical subscription service at the beginning and it had a ton of content. They also worked on the game and it's a great mmo with a TON of content and constant updates and expansions. It was received better as it was a more complete, less buggy, as 76.

Esteldan

The stigma of the announcement meant Fallout 76 was always going to be doomed unless it was genuinely amazing. It wasn't.

I also say that with all blame going towards Bethesda.

They attempted to announce it as if it was the next Fallout game but were thwarted by the Media/leaks which told everyone to not get their hopes up as this was just an Online spin off.

They did the whole "we've always dreamed of making this" lie and when the reception wasn't great started to hone in on "you can still play this as a traditional single player title with all the things you love!". Another lie, really.

To top it off they made 30 second, made in an afternoon cinematics for two huge single player games that were years away. Why? To lessen the backlash that they'd hyped everyone up for what they hoped would be a multiplayer cash cow.

Obviously the game sucked too, they would have been in a much better position if they'd just outsourced it from the start, advertised it as a genuine spin off that wouldn't affect the main studio release schedule with Starfield coming out a couple of years ago.

Great Hair

Banned

Countless videos showing how bad the game really was. Charging $100 annually for what? The whiskey plastic bottle, the cheap bag etc.

Top Bottom