• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did they remove gender in Animal Crossing: New Horizons only in the USA localization?

What's disappointing is these types of changes are likely made to preempt faux outrage from a select group of older teens and adults, which probably wouldn't even be an issue if it remained isolated to places like social media, but instead Nintendo would almost certainly have seen criticism in reviews and possibly outright calls to comment from the Western video game media had they included gendered text.

no other language just has boy or girl as the choice
While I can't vouch for all the versions present in the OP, in terms of the Japanese, the selection choices are otokonoko (boy) and onnanoko (girl); both are common terms and have no additional connotation related to being a villager, islander, or the like.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
They didn't do it for any other countries so why USA? Sure, it's not a big deal but why?
2jTo968.jpg
I think you know the answer to this question before you even posted it, bruh.

None of the western localizations seem to say "boy" and "girl." It's not just the US version, all translations seem to have gone out of their way to never mention those two words. Maybe they just wanted to add some flavour by calling them villagers and islanders, but I kinda feel that a few years ago, this screen would've just said "Pick your gender: Boy or girl."

Last edited:

Business

Are you German / Dutch?

No, but I did study German. I also have decent French Spanish and Greek and all these languages have gender attached to basically all their nouns as well, so I think I have a decent understanding of the concept...

Virex

Banned
No, but I did study German. I also have decent French Spanish and Greek and all these languages have gender attached to basically all their nouns as well, so I think I have a decent understanding of the concept...
And I assume you've studied Dutch as well?

nikolino840

What's disappointing is these types of changes are likely made to preempt faux outrage from a select group of older teens and adults, which probably wouldn't even be an issue if it remained isolated to places like social media, but instead Nintendo would almost certainly have seen criticism in reviews and possibly outright calls to comment from the Western video game media had they included gendered text.

While I can't vouch for all the versions present in the OP, in terms of the Japanese, the selection choices are otokonoko (boy) and onnanoko (girl); both are common terms and have no additional connotation related to being a villager, islander, or the like.

Mmmh...this Is boy 少年 and this Is girl 女の子

Business

And I assume you've studied Dutch as well?

You would be wrong to assume this, but I can easily get that eiland is island, assume eilandbewoner is male islander and eilandbewoonster the female form, use google and confirm it. What's your point anyway?

Virex

Banned
You would be wrong to assume this, but I can easily get that eiland is island, assume eilandbewoner is male islander and eilandbewoonster the female form, use google and confirm it. What's your point anyway?
Eilandbewoner and eilandbewoonster is correct but can also be made non gendered. So not everything is gendered in Dutch.

Last edited:

Banned

true, it seems the asian versions actually just say boy and girl. but all the western releases use the specific terms like villager or islander.

Is till would love to see how older Animal Crossing games handled this.

Last edited:
Mmmh...this Is boy 少年 and this Is girl 女の子
Japanese has a number of terms for referring to boys, girls, men, and women, which in some cases impart secondary meaning.

In the OP, both words are written in hiragana (phonetic Japanese), which in this case is probably to help young players who might not be familiar with certain kanji characters. It's also probably why the kanji characters present in the Japanese image have accompanying furigana (phonetic Japanese for those who might not recognize the specific pictograms).

男の子 = おとこのこ = otkonoko = boy or a male child

女の子 = おんなのこ = onnanoko = girl or a female child

少年 = しょうねん = shounen = boy, but mainly used for adolescents, not yet adults

少女 = しょうじょ = shoujo = girl, but mainly used for adolescents, not yet adults (but don't use 処女 = しょじょ = shojo = female virgin)

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
What if you're not a male or female like the pictures? Why is Nintendo not catering to those who are not male or female or don't look male or female. Even the USA version I can see the 2 options is for a male and a female with no 3rd option. Disgusted with Nintendo and their utter hate for those who are not male or female. #NotMyAnimalCrossing

Virex

Banned
Japanese has a number of terms for referring to boys, girls, men, and women, which in some cases impart secondary context.

In the OP, both words are written in hiragana (phonetic Japanese), which in this case is probably to help young players who might not be familiar with certain kanji characters. It's also probably why the kanji characters present in the Japanese image have accompanying furigana (phonetic Japanese for those who might not recognize those specific pictograms).

少女 = しょうじょ = shoujo = girl, but mainly used for adolescents, not yet adults (but don't use 処女 = しょじょ = shojo = female virgin)
Tell me more about these virgins. Hopefully over 18

Business

None of the western localizations seem to say "boy" and "girl." It's not just the US version, all translations seem to have gone out of their way to never mention those two words. Maybe they just wanted to add some flavour by calling them villagers and islanders, but I kinda feel that a few years ago, this screen would've just said "Pick your gender: Boy or girl."

I can totally see them doing this to avoid any possible issues with the crazies but it's also so smooth that the outrage in this thread about Nintendo pandering to SJWs feels like a bit too much. What they did is fine and makes sense, they still have two icons, no less no more, clearly showing a boy and a girl. You'll find me laughing all day at the latest Wolfenstein threads, but this is... yeah.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I know that it's worth discussing but really it doesn't matter. I would have done the same.

It's not like it's censoring, it's just a 'trendier' way of asking the question. It fits the game.

While I agree that we had far worse cases of censorship, it's absolutely insane that simply reading the words "boy" and "girl" might make someone mad. If these words hurt you and you feel like they shouldn't be there, please seek professional help right now. If it doesn't directly affect you and yet you defend that idea for some half baked political alignment, please do not breed ever.

Banned
While I agree that we had far worse cases of censorship, it's absolutely insane that simply reading the words "boy" and "girl" might make someone mad. If these words hurt you and you feel like they shouldn't be there, please seek professional help right now. If it doesn't directly affect you and yet you defend that idea for some half baked political alignment, please do not breed ever.

assuming intent in order to confirm you own bias is just as bad.
we don't know why they did this so don't try to infer intent alright?

This is stupid. You can change your gender in the character creation screen by selecting the male or female symbol. This is hyper-sensitive anti-PC reactivity. As has already been explained, English language isn't gendered.

:pie_thinking::pie_thinking:

brap

Banned
What if you're not a male or female like the pictures? Why is Nintendo not catering to those who are not male or female or don't look male or female. Even the USA version I can see the 2 options is for a male and a female with no 3rd option. Disgusted with Nintendo and their utter hate for those who are not male or female. #NotMyAnimalCrossing
I thought choose your style meant hairstyle which is why one was short and one was long.

This is stupid. You can change your gender in the character creation screen by selecting the male or female symbol. This is hyper-sensitive anti-PC reactivity. As has already been explained, English language isn't gendered.
There are plenty of gendered words in the english language.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Maybe because it’s a children’s game?

This is not a jab at the game, i’m playing it currently and greatly enjoying it.

nikolino840

Japanese has a number of terms for referring to boys, girls, men, and women, which in some cases impart secondary meaning.

In the OP, both words are written in hiragana (phonetic Japanese), which in this case is probably to help young players who might not be familiar with certain kanji characters. It's also probably why the kanji characters present in the Japanese image have accompanying furigana (phonetic Japanese for those who might not recognize the specific pictograms).

Nothing to add 👍
Perhaps Is something realated to translate in regard of this game...i don't know how to explain,i'm not so good in english..
For example Tolkien for the lord of the Rings added a note to translate words familiar with the country and not translate word for word

In Italian Is

Isolano
Isolana

"a boy who live in an Island and a girl who live in an Island" becouse the game Is in an Island

Last edited:
Is till would love to see how older Animal Crossing games handled this.
The older titles didn't have a character creator upfront. You'd be in a taxi or bus, with the driver asking questions. Each answer would determine hair type, nose/mouth shape, color etc. Only after arriving in the village would the player find out what their character looked like. In terms of gender, I'm pretty sure the question was just "Are you a boy or girl?"

I can totally see them doing this to avoid any possible issues with the crazies but it's also so smooth that the outrage in this thread about Nintendo pandering to SJWs feels like a bit too much. What they did is fine and makes sense, they still have two icons, no less no more, clearly showing a boy and a girl. You'll find me laughing all day at the latest Wolfenstein threads, but this is... yeah.
It's still a rather strange choice though. Are "boy" and "girl" such dirty words now that we can't even use them in a game about talking to forest critters anymore? For the US version they even gave up, and just didn't write any description for the two choices. It's just weird that they seem to go out of their way to not use those words, when the Asian versions (Inlcuding the original Japanese) don't seem to have an issue with it.

brap

Banned
Maybe because it’s a children’s game?

This is not a jab at the game, i’m playing it currently and greatly enjoying it.
If it's a children's game shouldn't they ask? Because the 2 characters are identical besides hairstyle and it says to choose your style.

Judging by that response, I don't think you know the first thing about this language.
Ok. Just keep licking tranny boots.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Do you have examples for all words being gendered in Dutch and German? It is in many cases but not majority of cases.

"Mike is a Villager or an Islander and Sophie is a Villager or an Islander just the same"

Mike is een dorpeling(inwooner) and Sophie is een dorpeling(inwooner). That is what you wrote above in Dutch / Afrikaans(Dutch could be slightly different because there are differences between Dutch and Afrikaans. That is male and female without being gendered.

It could also have been written the same in Dutch / German / Afrikaans / Flemish.

English : Choose You Villager : Male / Female
Afrikaans : Kies you dorpeling : Manlik / Vroulik

It shows that it's not gendered most of the time in German / Dutch etc.
Well I guess you understand this masterpiece then (I don't, but I can figure some of the clue from that video clip):

Just because I was curious and wasn't sure if it was mentioned earlier in the thread, the rest of the Japanese text doesn't specify selecting gender or even a style. Forgive my possibly poor translation, but the text reads: "Which do you/will you choose;" "This can be changed later."

Perhaps Is something realated to translate in regard of this game...i don't know how to explain,i'm not so good in english..
For example Tolkien for the lord of the Rings added a note to translate words familiar with the country and not translate word for word
Possibly, but I'd suspect even if English had a gendered equivalent of villager or islander, it'd still have been left blank in the relevant versions.

mickaus

Actually I can read some Chinese and Korean, and the Taiwanese, Chinese and Korean versions all say Boy and Girl. Taiwanese and Chinese just change the symbol for boy and girl (the first symbol, the square thing is boy and the stick figure is girl/woman) and Korean changes the first character (Namja = Boy, Yeoja = Girl). So it seems only the Asian countries keep the gendered versions. What is the western world doing to itself...:messenger_pensive:

Gargus

Banned
Who cares? Animal crossing is a mobile fools time waster sink only sold as a full priced game and not much else. It's another nintendo game showing they can't do anything original but re release the same over franchises dozens of times over with slight tweaks each time.

Animal crossing was cut to begin with but now it's just a dumb person's cutsey game sold for 60 bucks when really it's a 20 dollar bargain bin game.

brap

Banned
Who cares? Animal crossing is a mobile fools time waster sink only sold as a full priced game and not much else. It's another nintendo game showing they can't do anything original but re release the same over franchises dozens of times over with slight tweaks each time.

Animal crossing was cut to begin with but now it's just a dumb person's cutsey game sold for 60 bucks when really it's a 20 dollar bargain bin game.
you cared enough to comment and whine

Sakura

The Japanese version literally says boy or girl. They are not gendered words. The English version is a translation of the Japanese version. Come on, this shit ain't hard to figure out.

louis89

But that’s the thing, the other languages don’t say male/female boy/girl, they say things like Villager or Inhabitant.
Japanese says boy/girl, simplified Chinese and traditional Chinese say male/female, and Korean says man/woman.

What I'm more curious about is what it says on the top. Do the other ones say "choose your style" or "choose your gender"?

Japanese, the two Chinese ones and Korean all simply say '(Please) choose one'. Nothing about 'style' or 'gender'.

Last edited:

Goliathy

Banned
Do you have examples for all words being gendered in Dutch and German? It is in many cases but not majority of cases.

yeah in german there are female and male forms for everyting BUT there is also so-called "generisches maskulinum", basically you have then the word villager that includes both - male AND female.

problem is that this general word is always the male form of the word lol so:

male villager = Bewohner
female villager = Bewohnerin
generisches maskulinum (male and female included) = Bewohner

because its the male form by default and it wasn't an issue for like hundreds of years, nowadays people create new words to combine those, because they don't like it being male only, for example:

Bewohner*in - yes WITH * - to include both male and female in one word using *. lol

Virex

Banned
yeah in german there are female and male forms for everyting BUT there is also so-called "generisches maskulinum", basically you have then the word villager that includes both - male AND female.

problem is that this general word is always the male form of the word lol so:

male villager = Bewohner
female villager = Bewohnerin
generisches maskulinum (male and female included) = Bewohner

because its the male form by default and it wasn't an issue for like hundreds of years, nowadays people create new words to combine those, because they don't like it being male only, for example:

Bewohner*in - yes WITH * - to include both male and female in one word using *. lol
Better start becoming more woke then. Going to start changing all my spelling from now on. Don't want to offend my co-workers male / female.

My home language is Afrikaans which is pretty much just Dutch. We have male and female for everything. But not everything and anything. There isn't always the need to use it that way. For instance like a doctor. There is male and female but no one uses it that way. Everyone just says a doctor. But the "dokter" part is generally male and used for everything like so many other words. Guess I better start getting woke and refer to everything in the female form from now on. E.G. I'm not going to say I'm going to the doctor anymore. Going start using "female doctor" as the default from now on. BECAUSE I'M WOKE. SOOO....WOKE. I'M MORE WOKE THAN EVER!!

Edit : Spelling mistake.

Last edited:
Top Bottom