• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did they remove gender in Animal Crossing: New Horizons only in the USA localization?

brap

Banned
They didn't do it for any other countries so why USA? Sure, it's not a big deal but why?
2jTo968.jpg

-Arcadia-

Banned
This kind of stuff is always not a big deal, until it is.

Every single woke corruption of a product, began with a few first innocent steps. I.E. this is a bit annoying, but I can deal with it.

The thing is, it never stops. So it really is best to point this stuff out, and harshly punish it (and the goony beard men/blue hairs/diversity hires behind it) as soon as it appears.

Nobody wants BotW2 with tons of added woke Treehouse (Nintendo’s American translation team) dialogue. So speak up now.

I know how this kind of topic goes. A thousand people who love the Nintendo Switch and Animal Crossing are gearing up to defend it, because these things are important to them, and nobody like criticism of the things that are important to them.

The thing is, better criticism, than throwing Nintendo games on the trash fire of franchises that have been perverted to act more as agit-prop, than legitimate consumer entertainment.

Last edited:

sainraja

That is a bit silly lol. The avatar representations they are using still indicate male and female. Do they really think it matters that the label isn't there? Or perhaps, they figured they needed a label for the other regions and not for the U.S.

Last edited:

Business

English not being my native language, which words would you use though? It seems to me it would be Villager for both isn’t it?

-Arcadia-

Banned
In general, I kind of feel like this game was written by

eDj9kxJ.jpg

Nothing too bad, and there’s a lot of good dialogue too, but sometimes I get the vibe of the typical Millennial Twitter feed, from the jokes and a few lines. Which is a bit stomach-turning.

Fantastic game, but it’s worth mentioning,

Business

You would use male and female or boy and girl at the bottom like all the other countries. Don't understand why them omitted that for only the US release.

But that’s the thing, the other languages don’t say male/female boy/girl, they say things like Villager or Inhabitant.

brap

Banned
But that’s the thing, the other languages don’t say male/female boy/girl, they say things like Villager or Inhabitant.
I won't pretend like I can read all those languages but they are gendered terms. The US one removed them all together. Why?

Jeeves

Yeah it's because the NA region is most likely to bitch about binary genders right now. They've already done the same thing in Pokemon, although I think in that case it might've been the same across all regions.

I hope we haven't seen the last of the days where "are you a boy or a girl" wasn't an offensive question. Like Arcadia said, individual instances of it like this aren't really that annoying, but it sucks that mainstream games are starting to legitimize this nonsense.

Banned
Britain and the US are getting infected by the SJW army.

bow down to your blue haired overlords!

but for real, there is literally no way to translate this into english, Villager is gender neutral, the other languages have male and female versions of the word Villager in them

Last edited:

Banned
All this shit is Nintendo of America. Nintendo of Japan / Europe don't give a fuck.

California basically.

no it's literally the english language not being able to to translate this.

the other languages have gendered versions of the word "Villager", meanwhile in english there is no male or female version of this word

What I'm more curious about is what it says on the top. Do the other ones say "choose your style" or "choose your gender"?

in the german version it says "Please Choose"

Last edited:

the other languages have gendered versions of the word "Villager", meanwhile in english there is no male or female version of this word

in the german version it says "Please Choose"
Interesting.

brap

Banned

That happens all the time when people translate anime. You have to use a different word. Putting boy or girl would've been just fine and got the point across.

Banned
That happens all the time when people translate anime. You have to use a different word. Putting boy or girl would've been just fine and got the point across.

all of them use the name for the characters, which in english is "Villager", this is the set name for an Animal Crossing character and is also used in Smash Bros. for example.

Last edited:

Banned
Who cares? You're literally choosing a male or female not a fucking """""""""""""""""""""""""''style""""""""""""""""""""""""".

well in the other languages (those I could decipher like Dutch, german and spanish) literally just say something like "please choose", "make a cross" or "choose one"
so choose a style is more than those languages get lol...

Last edited:

brap

Banned
well in the other languages (those I could decipher like Dutch, german and spanish) literally just say something like "please choose", "make a cross" or "choose one"
so choose a style is more than those languages get lol...
And they're asking you to choose between genders. Localization is supposed to make translated things easy for people to understand. It's not supposed to be 1:1.

They cant upset the LGBTQSXYZ123@#$&%+=() community.
Cool, I'm glad the 5 guys from resetera wearing a wig and their dead grandma's dresses aren't offended now.

*two gender specific names Nintendo gave the characters in Animal Crossing, which in English is only 1 word because Villager is gender neutral.
Because that's how the english language works. You're still choosing between genders.

Business

I won't pretend like I can read all those languages but they are gendered terms. The US one removed them all together. Why?

Because in French, Spanish, German or Dutch words like Villager, Islander or Inhabitant are always gendered, they change depending on if it's referring to a male or a female. In English these same example words don’t change, so Mike is a Villager or an Islander and Sophie is a Villager or an Islander just the same. So, it does make sense that in English they put nothing, as both Villager and Villager under both the boy and girl icons would look a bit stupid.

Banned
And they're asking you to choose between genders. Localization is supposed to make translated things easy for people to understand. It's not supposed to be 1:1.

Because that's how the english language works. You're still choosing between genders.

Maybe Nintendo didn't just want a generic word like Boy and Girl down there? no other language just has boy or girl as the choice, they are all directly related words to how the characters in this game are named.
how did other Animal Crossing games handle this in the past? across languages even...?

Last edited:

Jeeves

Because in French, Spanish, German or Dutch words like Villager, Islander or Inhabitant are always gendered, they change depending on if it's referring to a male or a female. In English these same example words don’t change, so Mike is a Villager or an Islander and Sophie is a Villager or an Islander just the same. So, it does make sense that in English they put nothing, as both Villager and Villager under both the boy and girl icons would look a bit stupid.
But the way to get across the original meaning the best and most simply would be: "Choose your gender > Boy, Girl"

Not "Choose your style > Blank, Blank"

There's clearly a deeper intent at work here.

brap

Banned
Even in the original japanese version the text is different. I don't know how anybody can defend this. Nintendo takes so many fucking liberties with things they translate but not putting boy or girl at the bottom is just too far? Too inaccurate? They localize the fuck out of everything so every burger eating american can understand things without knowing anything about japan but putting boy or girl is too far?

Maybe Nintendo didn't just want a generic word like Boy and Girl down there? no other language just has boy or girl as the choice, they are all directly related words to how the characters in this game are named.
how did other Animal Crossing games handle this in the past? across languages even...?
Prove it. Tell me you can understand all those languages and maybe I'll believe you.

Virex

Banned
Do you have examples for all words being gendered in Dutch and German? It is in many cases but not majority of cases.

"Mike is a Villager or an Islander and Sophie is a Villager or an Islander just the same"

Mike is een dorpeling(inwooner) and Sophie is een dorpeling(inwooner). That is what you wrote above in Dutch / Afrikaans(Dutch could be slightly different because there are differences between Dutch and Afrikaans. That is male and female without being gendered.

It could also have been written the same in Dutch / German / Afrikaans / Flemish.

English : Choose You Villager : Male / Female
Afrikaans : Kies you dorpeling : Manlik / Vroulik

It shows that it's not gendered most of the time in German / Dutch etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom