• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did you buy an Xbox this gen?

PaulBizkit

Every game on the Xbox is on PC.

Playstation 4 has all the third-party games that are on the xbox and has its own exclusives.

If you bought an Xbox console, why did you buy it and how much do you use it? This sounds like a typical console war thread but i'm honestly curious.

It was to just play mutliplayer with my friends. A lot of the migrated from the 360 and stuck to live.

I used to play most of my single player on ps4 or pc, where ever i got a better deal. But with the X1X, I'm mostly on that or PC.

entremet

Halo 5 is on PC? Sunset Overdrive?

But I know what you mean. Personally, I don't have beefy PC, I like BC and now it has Xbox (Gen 6) support as well. I enjoy the simplicity of consoles.

To play exclusive games like Halo 6、Gears of War 5、Fable 4、Sunset Overdrive 2 with the best graphics of all platform.

camaropilot

I bought mine for Sunset Overdrive and Halo Master Chief Collection. The Forza games, although they're on pc now, were console exclusive at the time as well.

MilkyJoe

After the disastrous reveal the main reason was PS4 has a shitty controller.

The second reason was I wanted to play Ryse and didn't want to play any of the PS4 launch games.

I don't have a gaming PC anymore, so that's irrelevant. And even if I did, I would use it for PC exclusives, not as an all-purpose game machine.

PS4 has good exclusives I want to play. Makes it worth owning.

Xbox One has good exclusives I want to play. Makes it worth owning.

cireza

Good console, good games, good services, great controller, good exclusives.

The fact that games are on PC doesn't mean that they are not on Xbox.

Alx

I liked the multi-functional media center concept, and of course it had games I wanted to play.
I still use it every day and all the time, switching smoothly between TV, games, Netflix etc is still very convenient. My day usually starts with "Xbox On" and ends with "Xbox Off".
(not too fond of the fact that the experience became poorer with the removal of gesture control and app snapping, though)

jonathanp

The main reason was so I could play Rock Band on current gen although there are some exclusives that I wanted to play.

MysteryM

Halo and Gears, these were the staple shooters through the 360 generation and losing them by moving to PS4 was not going to happen. Playing dedicated servers on xbox live was another.

I haven't been disappointed this generation, I'm not much of a single player gamer anymore and 90% of my time is spent playing online. That said, I own a PS4, X, 2 xbox ones and a switch but the Xboxes are by far the mostly used consoles in our house.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I bought mine for Halo 5. I played Rise of the Tomb Raider, Gears of War 4, Cup Head, FFXV, and the Rare Collection. The rest of the games I have were from when I owned a 360. I had the Xbox and the 360 at launch and I got the XBO later on. I just use my other console for everything else.

It was for the exclusives and the hope for digital arcade games like the 360 had. I didn't want to miss Halo this gen.

IbukiLordSA

I wanted to play Killer Instinct which was only on the X1 at the time as well as Scalebound.

Once Scalebound was cancelled my X1 was sold within a couple days and moved over to playing KI on PC

It was cheap by the time i got it on a black friday sale 2 years ago. At the time it had console only titles like Forza 6, Halo 5, sunset overdrive.

Was before they announced the cross platform thing.

Now it’s in some box at my parents house. Didnt bring it last time i moved.

dcx4610

For 4k UHD and because I like new consoles. Perhaps the occasional cross-play title with PC.

Not very good reasons honestly. Microsoft really needs to get it together with exclusives.

mcmanic

because i wanted a Uhd 4K Blu Ray player hooked up to my 4K 49inch Samsung and having it as a games console is a bonus. I have a ps4 Pro also for their exclusives

Jacqli

It was cheap and given that I am going to stay on W7 for the foreseeable future, I decided to buy one to play its few exclusives (Crimson Dragon, Halo 5, Rare Replay and Sunset Overdrive basically) and games that are only W10 or do not run that well on my PC.

Lately I have been looking for hidden games on PC/consoles and I discovered that Xbox original was such underrated system and, in comparison, much more significant than One.

Bl@de

Never had a 360 so my reason was: Couch co-op with 360 exclusives and more,media center & blu ray, cheap price (One S)

I got it very cheap. Haven't upgraded my PC for a while and love the Xbox controller.

Always wanted to play Halo, Gears, Forza and games like the Rare Collection. BC is also a gamechanger for me since I never had a 360.

mikestrife

I personally bought Xbox for their exclusives even if they're only several a year (I don't have PC that'll handle modern games) and as a 4k blu-ray player. I basically use it to play exclusives and play everything else on my PS4.

But I don't think it's such a surprise that many people still bought Xbox Ones in that first year when the PC crossover wasn't available for it's titles, and so many players were big fans of the 360.

welshrat

Skipped the One but bought the X as I want to play multi plats in the best way possible. Pro and X made me move my gaming PC back to the office which is where it belongs as far as I am concerned.

I am a Dev who uses a PC and Mac day in day out on work days so I really love the simplicity of consoles in the living room, also the lack of clutter etc with no need for mice, keyboards etc.

FN-2187

You can use the OneGuide with an OTA tuner and it had a media remote (PS4 still didn’t have one at the time).

RootCause

I jumped into the fray last month with the One X.

Why? I wanted a mid-gen refresh system. And while the Pro is a nice system, it wasn't what expected. It lacks system wide downsampling(boost mode is nice though). It also lacked a 4k player. But perhaps the most important reason was that getting a Pro over the X didn't get me access to new games.

I do plan on getting a Pro for TLOU 2. Since I want to play that game in the highest quality possible. Hopefully there's a nice TLOU themed system, with a price drop. :p

phil_t98

#SonyToo
jumped in on the first week, I was excited for titanfall and a few others. I had an Xbox 360 so it seemed like the natural progression. no regrets about it, yeah is was less powerful than the PS4 but the games still looked great.

a lot of my friends got an Xbox one to so playing against them is good and also I have been game sharing since day 1 with a friend so that's a bonus.

I now have the Xbox one x and realy happy with it, 4k tv and 4k console. I like gears of war , Halo and forza to name a few.yes you can play them on pc but I have my pc upstairs and console on the 65" tv which I prefer, I aint that botherd in tinkering with the games to get the best settings on pc. I just like to buy the game and play it out of the box so to speak.

my pc is capable of at least 1440p games or higher currently but I still game on my xbox all the time

xFMx ALCHEMiST

Neo Member
U psfgts and pc elitists are so upset that Xbox is finally getting some positive momentum going.
& To answer question, console $500 4k HDR 6 TF Xbox live friends Xbox back compat x enhanced goodness. And cuz it's new and shiny

rmatheso

I refused to buy into the current generation without Backwards Compatibility. My largest game collection is from my Xbox 360. As soon as it was announced, I went with Xbox One.

Senua

jumped in on the first week, I was excited for titanfall and a few others. I had an Xbox 360 so it seemed like the natural progression. no regrets about it, yeah is was less powerful than the PS4 but the games still looked great.

a lot of my friends got an Xbox one to so playing against them is good and also I have been game sharing since day 1 with a friend so that's a bonus.

I now have the Xbox one x and realy happy with it, 4k tv and 4k console. I like gears of war , Halo and forza to name a few.yes you can play them on pc but I have my pc upstairs and console on the 65" tv which I prefer, I aint that botherd in tinkering with the games to get the best settings on pc. I just like to buy the game and play it out of the box so to speak.

my pc is capable of at least 1440p games or higher currently but I still game on my xbox all the time
You guys who have a gaming PC but prefer to play on your inferior consoles are a confusing bunch.

U psfgts and pc elitists are so upset that Xbox is finally getting some positive momentum going.
& To answer question, console $500 4k HDR 6 TF Xbox live friends Xbox back compat x enhanced goodness. And cuz it's new and shiny

Homophobe!

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
I'm a PC gamer, but if I had to go console I'd choose a XBox mainly because it is quieter. It also has good backwards compatibility and I like the controller more.

None of the Playstation exclusives interest me. I don't get why that is always such a big argument for the PS. Last of us, Uncharted, LBP and so on just ain't for me. Okay maybe Gran Turismo, but Forza is good too. Anyway I'd probably be playing Assetto Corsa on the quieter hardware.

Senua

I'm a PC gamer, but if I had to go console I'd choose a XBox mainly because it is quieter. It also has good backwards compatibility and I like the controller more.

None of the Playstation exclusives interest me. I don't get why that is always such a big argument for the PS. Last of us, Uncharted, LBP and so on just ain't for me. Okay maybe Gran Turismo, but Forza is good too. I'd probably be playing Assetto Corsa.

People love their 30fps third person action/adventure games.

I am kinda a sucker for TLOU though.

cHaOs667

Beside the fact I own an Workstation (with an 1080Ti) I love the convenience to play on my D1 X1 as well on my X1X more than with Steam on my Xeon rig.

Boot up the console, look through your friends list, push a single button and start a party chat with them. Hit another one and play with them.

This is soooo much better than having a discussion about the pro's and cons of discord, team speak or skype before

Edit: T3 mistake - never type while you are walking :(

Senua

Beside the fact I own an Workstation (with an 1080Ti) I love the convenience to play on my D1 X1 as well on my X1X more than with Steam on my Xeon rig.

Boot up the console, look through your friends list, push a single button and start a party chat with them. Hit another one and play with them.

This is soooo much better than having a discussion about the pro's and cons of discord, ram sperm or skype before

Kinda seeing a trend here.

People are lazy and would prefer to opt for an inferior experience even if they own a much superior box.

Yank I assume?

Best controller, the potential for backwards compatibility (which was later realised), and because at the time its exclusives *weren't* on PC and I wasn't interested in any other console's exclusives.

cHaOs667

People are lazy and would prefer to opt for an inferior experience even if they own a much superior box.
The issue is: It's just inferior from an lone technical standpoint - the user experience is much more superior than on a steam pc.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Halo
Gears
Killer instinct
Forza
Sunset overdrive
Cuphead
Quantum break
Rare collection
Ori
Dead rising
Xbox one elite controller
4k BEAST GFX
UHD bluray player
Atmos support
4k xbox 360 games
4k xbox og games

Ib4 xbox one has no games

sainraja

My initial reason for wanting the Xbox One was Sunset Overdrive. I would have gotten it eventually anyway but that was what made my get it earlier.

Kinda seeing a trend here.

Yank I assume?

If performance is so important to someone, they'll go PC. For someone like me, console performance is adequate. I don't have some bizarre birth defect that makes me unable to play anything at 30fps. I can play games on my Xbox One just fine, thank you (even the ones running at 60fps! OMGROFLCOPTER!).

I understand you consider consoles inferior in every respect. Cool. Have fun. You're better than us, we get it. I'm sure that at the end of the day, you've had waaaay more fun than I have.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
You guys who have a gaming PC but prefer to play on your inferior consoles are a confusing bunch.

QUOTE]

just prefer it, rather than play on a pc and as I said most of my friends have an Xbox and game sharing with one of them mean I currently have acces to over 300 games on my console

The games going to PC has never bothered me, never been much of a PC gamer myself, didn't hinder my experiences of the likes of KOTOR, Mass Effect or Gears one bit in previous generations so I don't see why it should now.

Top Bottom