• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did you buy an Xbox this gen?

DryvBy

To play with my brother on some games. Plus, I can now play my some of my original Xbox games. But my biggest reason is just to play with my bro.

Senua

If performance is so important to someone, they'll go PC. For someone like me, console performance is adequate. I don't have some bizarre birth defect that makes me unable to play anything at 30fps. I can play games on my Xbox One just fine, thank you (even the ones running at 60fps! OMGROFLCOPTER!).

I understand you consider consoles inferior in every respect. Cool. Have fun. You're better than us, we get it. I'm sure that at the end of the day, you've had waaaay more fun than I have.

I'm talking about people that own both gaming PCs and consoles and prefer to play on consoles instead.

hiphopcr

So basically the answers here are the same as every other console. Don't understand why Xbox owners need to justify their answer any more than any other console owner.

Leonidas

I bought the OG model for the following

Backwards Compatibility with Xbox 360
Sunset Overdrive
Halo MCC
Halo 5
Forza 5 & 6
Dance Central

I bought the One X for the following
HDR(a feature lacking in Play Anywhere titles on PC)
Ninja Gaiden in 4K
Backwards Compatible 360 games running even better
Not having to deal with issues playing Xbox games on Windows Store
Massive Games with Gold Collection that I've been having a lot of fun with lately

I've got both mid-gen refreshes and a PC and I've been playing Xbox One X more than anything in the past month...

PaulBizkit

Why did you buy a Playstation this gen?

Exclusives. Some are only available on the PS4 (yakuza 0, bloodborne, infamous), some japanese games are not on pc (persona5) and some might be on PC but not on xbox (Nioh, Nier).
With a PS4, you don't miss on almost anything (the biggest game not-on ps4 is CupHead and I played that on PC).

The multiplatform games are always good but I'd rather play them on PC.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I absolutely hate Sony's exclusives. They are always play for two minutes, cutscene, play two minutes, cutscene, walk 100 meter, cutscene. Doesn't matter if I am playing Killzone, The Order, Infamous, Uncharted, Last of Us, Beyond or Horizon, it's always the same. That cinematic presentation makes games look great (you don't need AI in cutscenes, you have a limited FOV, everything that's needed to make awesome graphics) but I can't stand giving up control every few minutes as if I am playing an interactive movie. And then I hate symmetric analog sticks in racing games. Now Microsoft obviously has some exclusives that do the same. Gears of War. Ryse. I hate those as well. I like cutscenes as a reward for gameplay. I don't want gameplay as reward for watching cutscenes. And that's why I am firmly in Xbox ecosystem, even though I play all those overrated Sony exclusives and afterwards wonder why I never learn. But sometimes there are good stories hidden in them, like Last of Us.

Every game on the Xbox is on PC.

Playstation 4 has all the third-party games that are on the xbox and has its own exclusives.

If you bought an Xbox console, why did you buy it and how much do you use it? This sounds like a typical console war thread but i'm honestly curious.

This is why gamers, along with game websites are never taken seriously, and gamers are looked at as immature kids...almost every post is trying to downgrade another system, compare the system, or give opinions as facts.

For one, people are vague when they say PC quality graphics, because when you look at Nvidia sales for the year, and look at how many sales of PC's total, not even 10% have any meaningfully decent GPU, and not every game on the Xbox is on the PC.

PS4 does not have all the 3rd party games on Xbox, and in the top 20 sales, every 3rd party game are on..... both the xbox and ps4, so while people may love yakuza..it really isnt a big seller at all. Both systems have 3rd party games that are not on other systems...or dont start on other systems, and sony has exclusives, so does nintendo, so does MS.... hidden figures just came out, anyone care? nope, bloodborn was great here, but did it sell well...it sold ok, but not the way it should when fanboys like you assume everyone likes there exclusives. Sony has a couple of games that sell big, same for MS.....and anything with a nintendo game seems to sell well.

Why did someone buy it? may prefer xbox live, may prefer the controller, may just hoped on to the Xbox One X where almost every 3rd party game is 20-60% higher resolution, and instead of 1440p being the limit (very few native 4k), xbox one x has native 4k games in this very short period of time. You may forget when the pro came out, some base PS4 games were outperforming it.... so they may have got it for the same reason people get the newest tech. Or they may have a decent jobs and have all three so they can have options.

All systems are great and bad depending on the person, now does every thread have to have a condescending tone and not be about why my preference is better then yours..please explain............ worst then pro wrestling forums....

RootCause

So basically the answers here are the same as every other console. Don't understand why Xbox owners need to justify their answer any more than any other console owner.
Answering a question =/= justifying a purchase. 🤷
Such an odd post.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Console gaming 4 Life

(I get every console every generation)

After the disastrous reveal the main reason was PS4 has a shitty controller.

The second reason was I wanted to play Ryse and didn't want to play any of the PS4 launch games.

Man are those awful reasons for buying an Xbox. Ryse was forgettable mindless hack n slash and the ds4 is solid. Regardless, I can use my elite controller just fine on my PS4 for the extra $60 a Cronus max (or like product) costs

camaropilot

I just don't get why you bought the gaming PC.

What is there to "get"? I have my own free will to purchase what I want. I also have the disposable income.

I needed a PC for many purposes, and thought what the hell might as well make it a gaming PC so I can play PC exclusives or take advantage of steam sales if I please.

tryDEATH

The PS4 really didn't enter my mind due to a few really big factors for me and most of them where out of their hands. The obvious one is the eco-system that I had long invested in, the 360 was a great console for me and all my friends were on it so I wasn't really ready to abandon all that unless there were huge upsides, which there simply weren't any for me.

Second is their exclusives they just interested me significantly more. Forza and Halo have been staples of gaming for me and in general and it wasn't something I wanted to miss out on, especially the multiplayer side of both games. The 360 was also much more popular for third party FPS titles as well, which I assumed would continue, but didn't, however to be honest I couldn't care less that I missed all the wall jumping CoD's. I considered the PS more of a single player console and still do today, due to a lack a proper multiplayer exclusives.

Don't get me wrong the PS still has some phenomenal exclusives that have a broad appeal, but those are still very limited with a majority of their exclusives, being sort of niche Japaneses games that don't appeal to me as I am not into the whole anime or weird weeaboo scene that they are tailored more for. Not saying I wasn't a classic douchy "gamer bro" with all the fps titles I played, but at least I didn't f**k my pillow.

Third is Xbox Live, by far the best online platform, it was much more fleshed out, reliable, and secure. The PS3 hack and some what frequent outages on top of the lack of some basic features, just seemed something PS wasn't really invested in.

And last but not least is the controller. For me they just aren't really comparable, the ergonomics of the Xbox controller in my hands just felt superior and comfortable. I don't think many would disagree with it being the best ever made.

I'm talking about people that own both gaming PCs and consoles and prefer to play on consoles instead.

Because they aren't performance hounds, and enjoy aspects of all platforms?

Like I said in my post, even if I had a gaming PC, I still wouldn't have a reason to ignore the Xbox One.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I have always been a mainly PC player, has owned all PlayStations and all Xbox'es, own all Sega machines and some Nintendo machines, but in the end I mainly play on my PC and my Xbox One.

When I moved to my own house I had a high end gamer computer, and bought an Xbox One. I played some Xbox 360 and very little PS3 at previous gen, but I have always been more of a PC player.

I did miss Halo, Gears of War and Forza Motorsport, which is why I bought an Xbox One. Sony's exclusive has never really catered to me, so I didn't feel like I missed anything by jumping onto Xbox One. I bought a PS4 in a december two years ago, because all of the talk about "better graphics" and better games... Tbh I really couldn't tell the difference between the XO and PS4 nine out of ten times I played a game.

I love PC gaming, but console gaming is just simple at some point. Bought Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and Watch Dogs on PC, which ran like hot garbage, while it runs on steady 30 fps on console. I would prefer 60 fps just as much as the next person, but Ubisoft's games are generally crap on PC.

Many saw Xbox Play Anywhere as a big distadvantage, but as a person that mainly play PC and Xbox One I was very happy, cus then I no longer has to decide about where I should buy the game, I can get a console and PC experience at the same time.

My father in law has borrowed my PS4 since he is sick at home after a surgery for over a year, and before that it just collected dust. I understand why people find it popular, but the types of exclusives the PS4 has doesn't appeal to me at all.

I just like to turn my console on and just play without any problems. I mainly play online, and games that are not Counter-Strike or Call of Duty tends to die quick on the PC, and I really love that games that are dead on the PC is alive and well on console.

I also preordered an Xbox One X Scorpio Edition, to get a better console experience than the One has. Also the blu-ray drive died on my launch Xbox One, so why not upgrade anyway?

Haven't regret for one moment, and will continue to buy my multiplat titles on the One X.

MilkyJoe

Man are those awful reasons for buying an Xbox. Ryse was forgettable mindless hack n slash and the ds4 is solid. Regardless, I can use my elite controller just fine on my PS4 for the extra $60 a Cronus max (or like product) costs

I like Ryse and I wouldn't wipe my arse with a DS4. Pretty solid reasons to me.

petrus91

Owned both console, now I own both midgen refreshes.
Back in 2013 it was:
PS4: multiplats+ esclusives
XB1: fps+ exclusives.
Now it’s:
PS4P: exclusives
XB1X: multplats+ exclusives
Don’t care about PC anymore, I’ve always been a PC guy but now i’ve moved on.
Sold my 2600k + HD7970 some time ago.
:)

PaulBizkit

All systems are great and bad depending on the person, now does every thread have to have a condescending tone and not be about why my preference is better then yours..please explain............ worst then pro wrestling forums....

What do you want me to explain? I find it hard to understand why people buy xboxes when all their games (and exclusives) are on PC and all the multipats are on PS4, along with great exclusives of their own. The xbox controllers work on PC too.

I understand why people bought xbox 360s back then. There were many great games only on the 360 and some multiplats ran better there, RDR being the prime example.

Senua

What is there to "get"? I have my own free will to purchase what I want. I also have the disposable income.

I needed a PC for many purposes, and thought what the hell might as well make it a gaming PC so I can play PC exclusives or take advantage of steam sales if I please.

Good points, 30fps is an option after all.

Anyone around to ban this prick?

Have a teary mate.

Garnox

Most of my friends play on Xbox so we all play multi-plat games on the same ecosystem (Rocket League, Destiny, Overwatch)

I like the ergonomics of the Xbox controllers for my FPS (Gears, Destiny, Halo)

Other than that... guess I don’t really have much else. Mainly my first reason. Could’ve easily gone PS4 had my friends played on that instead.

Krisprolls

Banned
I bought a Xbox One because :
- I hate exclusive games. On Xbox it's easier to chose the games I buy, because there are less of them.
- I don't know how to start a PC and I'd be scared if I had the best version of games
- I wanted to pay more and get less
- TV TV TV
- Kinect

Laws00

because i was hoping the xbox would keep up trend of great games, like it did last gen.

But when I see every gen has it's winner and Xbox isn't it this gen

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Exclusives. Some are only available on the PS4 (yakuza 0, bloodborne, infamous), some japanese games are not on pc (persona5) and some might be on PC but not on xbox (Nioh, Nier).
With a PS4, you don't miss on almost anything (the biggest game not-on ps4 is CupHead and I played that on PC).

The multiplatform games are always good but I'd rather play them on PC.

You missed forza.
Since forza runs like ass on pc.
Xbox one x is def the best place to be if you are a car freak.

Pc=micro stutter nightmare

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
- I only play on dedicated platforms (not PC) and prefer full physical rights to a game (which I do not have on PC), so whether a game releases on PC or not is none of my concern.
- Microsoft owns Rare, I would have been quite bummed out if Rare had made e.g. a new Banjo game and I was sitting on a PS4 (Banjo-Threeie alone would be worth more to me than the entire catalog of PS4 games) - I couldn't know in advance they'd waste years upon years on some online fantasy
- The awful stick layout on Dual Shock and the incredible Xbox One controller by contrast. The Xbox One controller is really amazing.
- My wife wanted to play Fantasia so bad.

Segaswirl

I didn't want to play Knack, Killzone or Defender...

I did however want to play Forza 5, Ryse and DR3.

I own a PS4 now but it's really for Yakuza and not much else, maybe VR when i'm able to pick up a headset.

The_Mike

I bought a Xbox One because :
- I hate exclusive games. On Xbox it's easier to chose the games I buy, because there are less of them.
- I don't know how to start a PC and I'd be scared if I had the best version of games
- I wanted to pay more and get less
- TV TV TV
- Kinect

Thank you for your effort in turning this forum to shit with your fanboy comments.

xviper

bought an Xbox one for 2 reasons

1: Ps4 was a piece of shit in the first year, absolutely NOTHING good

2: Titanfall 1, and it's damn worth it

DougWrynn

Neo Member
To play exclusive titles like Halo 5 (which turned to have a good multiplayer but a shitty campaign), Forza and Gears, with nice surprises like Sunset Overdrive that became one of my favorite games of this generation.

It was all going well and fine until Microsoft announced the Play Anywhere thingy. Because of this I sold my Xbox One (since the Halo 5 multiplayer is quite dead now) and bought a better VGA for my pc to play Forza Horizon 3, Gears 4 and Forza 7.

Calibos

Went Xbox this gen because I have always been Xbox. I have owned almost every system though. I bought a PS4 for Bloodborne and that was great, but besides that and The Last of Us, no other PS4 exclusive means anything to me.

I prefer Xbox's ecosystem and services which is all far superior to Sony's in my opinion. I like my PC but use it mostly for art and work. Steam is great, but I prefer the plug and play nature of consoles.

more picky, I prefer Xbox :

Controller(elite)
UI and Store in their current form especially
Live
BC program
Game preview program
Insider Program
Play anywhere program
Cross play initiatives
Game Pass

Really, when it comes to games, "if I was Xbox only", I am really only missing out on 5-10 major games exclusive to Sony's platform that people care about.

I can look at Xbox's Game Preview program and say that it more than makes up for that. I was playing The Long Dark, Ark, Conan, We Happy Few and a host of others long before they were on rival platforms.

I will be able to play PubG next Tuesday.

Xbox isn't perfect, and their launch pissed me off, but they stuck with it and have put forth a pretty compelling argument to get one IMO. However, NeoGAF doesn't sell consoles or convince the masses to buy them...PS4 is a phenom when it comes to sales because the masses got on board early and Sony put the marketing hammer down full throttle and haven't looked back since...Sort of like they did with the PS2 vs. Dreamcast back in the day...

Kudos to them.

RootCause

You missed forza.
Since forza runs like ass on pc.
Xbox one x is def the best place to be if you are a car freak.

Pc=micro stutter nightmare
Speaking of Forza. I'll be picking up Horizon 3. I've heard great things about it. The patch also comes out on January 15. 4K 🤤

Trogdor1123

I didn't due to the price but I was really really close to it before knowing it. If the x had been out then though I probably would have gone that route.

Indecisive

Neo Member
I straight up just do not like the dualshock 4. I still have a ps4 for exclusives, but everything thats multiplat I get on Xbox for that reason.

As for why I don't just get a pc living room setup . . . I dunno. Just laziness probably? Plus I think I'm still too in love with physical games.

JaffeLion

Banned
Every game on the Xbox is on PC.

Playstation 4 has all the third-party games that are on the xbox and has its own exclusives.

If you bought an Xbox console, why did you buy it and how much do you use it? This sounds like a typical console war thread but i'm honestly curious.

every week we have the same thread here. its getting ridiculous.

people have their reasons.. why are guys trying so damn hard to bash xbox?

The_Mike

every week we have the same thread here. its getting ridiculous.

people have their reasons.. why are guys trying so damn hard to bash xbox?

NeoGAF has since the release of this gen been very Pro Sony and very anti Microsoft (edited typo), which is also why this forum is known as SonyGAF this gen, and they did a hard work at trashing the Xbox One and anyone who likes it. After the incident many junior members were approved (including me), and apparently that added alot more Xbox players, which evened out the ratio between Xbox and PS4 players, which resulted more positive posts about Xbox instead of the typical shitposting, which frustrates old SonyGAF.

(I ain't saying all PS4 playersare bad, because they obviously aren't, but when there's a ratio difference on three to one in favor of PS4, theres a thumb of rule that says that theres equally as many more fanboys, which have been very noticable in here.)

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Because I didn't want to bother with the hassle of pc gaming and wanted to play sea of theives,gears etc

Plus it was cheap.

Norse

Maybe it's the 65" 4k uhd HDR TV with surround sound speakers they have their Xbox hooked to. Thats hardly an inferior experience to PC gaming. Sorry but I'm not a snot nosed kid anymore so having a huge obnoxious gaming rig in my living room isn't going to happen. Also don't have to deal with massive cheating that hits the PC versions of games.

I prefer the controllers on Xbox over PlayStation. I prefer Xbox live over psn. My 275+ Xbox, 360, xbone gaming library gives me ample gaming enjoyment.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
At lunch time the games looked better. Dead Rising 3, ryse and Forza 5 were all games I really wanted to play vs what Sony was offering. So I went with xbox first.

Adam_802

Bc my friends and I dont play on pc, and I love halo/gears. Also like the online and controller way more on xbox for multiplats (and with the XB1X/back compat, it turned out to be the right ecosystem to invest in). Not into japanese games or indies personally.

Top Bottom