• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did you buy an Xbox this gen?

Alx

It's pretty sad people like this are able to drop into countless threads like this just to troll.

Worst part of the community on here.

The ignore list is convenient for that. Trolls are just seeking attention, don't grant them that.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The ignore list is convenient for that. Trolls are just seeking attention, don't grant them that.

Ah thank for telling me about ignore list. That helps alot to ignore trolls and lessen your chances of getting banned yourself.

However, at the same time it's really fun to read about how sad some posers in here actually can be.

MrKeinov

I was about to buy one just for Scalebound. Didn't because it got cancelled. For me, Sunset overdrive and Rare collection is 2 tempting things other than that but neither feels like a system seller.

VinnyG

Banned
Every game on the Xbox is on PC.

Playstation 4 has all the third-party games that are on the xbox and has its own exclusives.

If you bought an Xbox console, why did you buy it and how much do you use it? This sounds like a typical console war thread but i'm honestly curious.

1 - every xbox game is on xbox too (lol) and i like to play without any of the famous pc hurdles

2 xbox have its own esclusives if you dont have a pc and all third-party games that are on ps4 are also on xbox....and if you buy an xbox one x are 2 times or more better than on ps4 pro

3 best services on the market........Gamepass have a incredible value.....EA Access, GwG and XBL is overall the best console network where to play multiplayer games ( tested multiple times by various media outlets)

4 if you have a 4k tv ...you probably have no other real solution ..seen that xbox s have a uhd br and the xbox x is the most close to only 4k console out there with an uhd br player

honestly the most reasonable and smart thing to do if you arent a fanboy and you have money ...is to buy an xbox one x and then a second hand base ps4 for esclusives

dsier

I bought my One back in 2015 for Forza Horizon 2, basically. I got my PS4 on launch and I was completely happy with it, but when I played Horizon 2 on my brothers Xbox One I knew I had to get one myself.
2,5 years later i can safely say, that i really didn’t need to buy an Xbox One, considering I buy all 3rd party games for the PS4 anyways and the number of exclusives that interest me has been negligible so far. Buying an Xbox One hasn’t been the best decision I ever made tbh, but I don’t really regret it either.

Memnoch

Playstation 4 has all the third-party games that are on the xbox and has its own exclusives.

If you bought an Xbox console, why did you buy it and how much do you use it? This sounds like a typical console war thread but i'm honestly curious.
Because I do not want the hassles of a pc. I don't want to adjust a ton of settings that constantly annoy me. I'm done with the always need another upgrade to run a game smoothly. My X just looks beautiful in 4k trouble free.

The_Mike

It’s funny how you normally hear about people who don’t want the hassle of using a pc, yet when it comes to Xbox One no one wants to buy it is because everyone suddenly has a gamer pc.

Before Xbox play anywhere we’re even a thing then people said “it has no games”. Now it’s “it has no games cus everything’s on pc”.

dcb2821

Why do people assume that EVERYONE loves to play on PC or owns one? I grew up a console gamer and have been in the Xbox ecosystem system since the first one. I actually liked the idea of the Xbox One being an all in one entertainment hub. All my friends and family are on Xbox, I love the controller, Live, etc. I also have always owned PlayStation consoles too, but mainly for exclusives. I tried PC gaming when PUBG came out, but that faded off quickly....being a busy adult I just wanna come home grab a controller and play.

Bustanen

To play FH3 and because it was 199€ a year ago. Now it's just a UHD BD player until I get a Dolby Vision supported one.

PC plays anything worthwhile better anyway.

MilkyJoe

Why do people assume that EVERYONE loves to play on PC or owns one? I grew up a console gamer and have been in the Xbox ecosystem system since the first one. I actually liked the idea of the Xbox One being an all in one entertainment hub. All my friends and family are on Xbox, I love the controller, Live, etc. I also have always owned PlayStation consoles too, but mainly for exclusives. I tried PC gaming when PUBG came out, but that faded off quickly....being a busy adult I just wanna come home grab a controller and play.

ld8lH2Q.gif

It’s funny how you normally hear about people who don’t want the hassle of using a pc, yet when it comes to Xbox One no one wants to buy it is because everyone suddenly has a gamer pc.

Before Xbox play anywhere we’re even a thing then people said “it has no games”. Now it’s “it has no games cus everything’s on pc”.

Last part describes perfectly what these fools,obsessed fanboys goes for incredible distances because DF annihilating any X comparison with breeze..they're last fkn back up excuse is....Peecee.

I have both Pro n X and enjoy them equally best of both worlds..but can't stand watching bums shit on the Positive. It's an obvious salt, why would you go that low and embarrass youreself.

MickeyPhree

I was going through a really bad time...then I met a girl and we hit it off really well. I found out that she likes video games but didn't have a current system thanks to her ex boyfriend(He sold her ps3 to buy drugs.

After a few months, we moved in together and I wanted to get us a gift to celebrate. Ps4s were still very pricey and I didn't have much money at the time. I was able to buy a used xbox one and a few games for the cost of a brand new ps4. I ended up enjoying the xbox more than the ps4(which I used to own) mainly due to the controller and bc.

I actually just jumped in on that ps4 for 200 dollars deal a few weeks back...shes going to have an awesome Christmas!

Megatron

You may want to do a little research, chief. Every claim you made is wrong. Sunset overdrive, rare replay, halo 5, master chief collection, forza 5, etc are not on pc. Third party games like dead rising 3 and ryse are not on ps4.

EdgeXL

The Op never answered my question. He must have missed it so I will repost it for his convenience:

In this day and age our digital media is carried with us. We can watch movies, listen to music or read a book at home and when we leave we can resume our media exactly where we left off. Why shouldn't we be able to do the same with our video games?

Well at the start of the gen the choice was this -

PS4 with underwhelming hardware. No games. LOLcontroller and LOLonline now behind the paywall.

or

XB1 with somehow even worse hardware (lol). Couple of decent games at launch and Titanfall not far away. Plus a real controller and online service.

I wasn't exactly thrilled about either but felt compelled to buy something and the Xbox won. Not because it was great but because the competition was somehow even worse overall. Sold it about a year after though, but will probably get a Scorpio by the time Red Dead comes out.

PaulBizkit

I always saw Gears, Forza and Halo (specially Halo since Bungie is no longer in charge) as weak exclusives because I think shooters are just OK (I only played Gears 1, was fun) and don't really like racing games that much.
But, surprise surprise, many people actually like them and consider them System Sellers.

The Op never answered my question. He must have missed it so I will repost it for his convenience:

In this day and age our digital media is carried with us. We can watch movies, listen to music or read a book at home and when we leave we can resume our media exactly where we left off. Why shouldn't we be able to do the same with our video games?

sorry, didn't see it the first time.

The option to do that is nice and convenient*, but if your laptop can run xbox one games, then why don't you just play with the laptop? I mean, you can just plug it to the TV and use a wireless xbox controller.
And, ok, let's say your laptop's HDD is smaller and you have more games on the 2TB xbox. You still need the games on your laptop to... play the games on your laptop.

*the save file on the pc and xbox is the same, right? they synchronize via wi-fi between devices or the save file uploads to the microsoft server?

Estocolmo

There is a whole luggage of budget and constant optimisation of PC that I simply dont want to deal with.

I've had a PC until 2010 and then I said no more and bought a MacBook Air and after that I never want to got back to PC again.

So besides the whole budget and optimisation thing of PC, I have made a permanent move to MAC.

fordian

Neo Member
I initially bought one in 2014 because all my friends played Xbox and I enjoyed the 360 last gen. Wasn't really thinking in terms of exclusives

I own a PS4 now though and that's become my main platform

EdgeXL

I always saw Gears, Forza and Halo (specially Halo since Bungie is no longer in charge) as weak exclusives because I think shooters are just OK (I only played Gears 1, was fun) and don't really like racing games that much.
But, surprise surprise, many people actually like them and consider them System Sellers.

sorry, didn't see it the first time.

The option to do that is nice and convenient*, but if your laptop can run xbox one games, then why don't you just play with the laptop? I mean, you can just plug it to the TV and use a wireless xbox controller.
And, ok, let's say your laptop's HDD is smaller and you have more games on the 2TB xbox. You still need the games on your laptop to... play the games on your laptop.

*the save file on the pc and xbox is the same, right? they synchronize via wi-fi between devices or the save file uploads to the microsoft server?

Because I prefer to play on consoles. It is easier for local multiplayer games. Besides, I spend all day in front of my laptop writing, editing, doing post production for my photography, managing spreadsheets. I don't want to work all day at my laptop and then spend more time in front of my laptop playing games. Besides, my Xbox One X plays games better than my laptop.

But you haven't really answered the question. You act as if Play Anywhere is somehow a bad thing. I say that we should be able to carry our games with us just like carry our movies, books, TV shows and music. I share media on my tablet and my phone. I see sharing games on my Xbox and laptop as the same thing.

BasedRob

Neo Member
my friend sold me his old xbox one for $150. i only use it to play gears of war 4, halo mcc, and pub g pretty soon

FN-2187

I actually totally understand why anyone would buy a PS4. It's a great system. Sony has put out a great system every gen.

I just don't understand why anyone wouldn't understand why someone would want an Xbox One.

Microsoft has done everything right since the disastrous launch.

- The S and X are excellent redesigns that add 4K UHD -- a great value-add that Sony is still lacking
- They added an incredible BC program that is the gift that keeps on giving (most recently being the 4K updates to OG and select 360 games)
- With Play Anywhere, they give you a free PC copy of any of their first party games you buy digitally
- Game Pass - The best attempt yet at a "Netflix for games"

The only strike against them is that their first-party output has fallen off a bit. Hopefully, they will fix that soon, but that takes time. It takes 3-4 years to make a great game. Sea of Thieves and Crackdown 3 should be a pretty solid start to 2018 (assuming they are not delayed again). Hopefully at next E3, they have some bombs to drop that also hit in 2018.

1 - every xbox game is on xbox too (lol) and i like to play without any of the famous pc hurdles

2 xbox have its own esclusives if you dont have a pc and all third-party games that are on ps4 are also on xbox....and if you buy an xbox one x are 2 times or more better than on ps4 pro

3 best services on the market........Gamepass have a incredible value.....EA Access, GwG and XBL is overall the best console network where to play multiplayer games ( tested multiple times by various media outlets)

4 if you have a 4k tv ...you probably have no other real solution ..seen that xbox s have a uhd br and the xbox x is the most close to only 4k console out there with an uhd br player

honestly the most reasonable and smart thing to do if you arent a fanboy and you have money ...is to buy an xbox one x and then a second hand base ps4 for esclusives

Very well said, this is for a level minded folks.

most of my friends are on live, its more reliable than (or used to be, dont know about psn condition right now), most of the exclusives on ps4 do not interest me as i do not like dark souls game tipes and i am not a big fan of uncharted.

but the decisive factor in the end was the price, on the country i used to live it costs half as the ps4, so it was a easy choice

Kacho

Gold Member
"Every game on the Xbox is on PC."

I have a very good gaming PC but still vastly prefer to game on a console. Now that I can play a lot of games in 4K + HDR I'm finding it harder to go back to PC. There's no chance I'm buying a 4K monitor anytime soon either.

"Playstation 4 has all the third-party games that are on the xbox and has its own exclusives."

Xbox will have superior multiplatform console games going forward. Those are the games I play the most so I'm good where I'm at. I don't care about niche japanese games like Persona 5, Nioh or Yakuza. A lot of those japanese games can also be played on PC so if I really wanted to play them I could. I just don't want to.

"If you bought an Xbox console, why did you buy it and how much do you use it?"

I bought an Xbox One at launch because I'm a fan of the brand and I'm heavily invested in the ecosystem. Xbox also has the best controller and first party games I care about. The addition of backwards compatability and the release of the One X keep me more than satisfied.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Bought it for Gears of War. Now it's in the closet and I'm doing all my "Xbox gaming" on the PC instead.

Senua

I have a very good gaming PC but still vastly prefer to game on a console. Now that I can play a lot of games in 4K + HDR I'm finding it harder to go back to PC. There's no chance I'm buying a 4K monitor anytime soon either.

Only on gaf...

I bought the xbox because I buy pretty much every console that releases, it became my primary console because the controller is awesome.

I've now upgraded to a X which means my Pro will only be used for Sony exclusives.

astroglide

I don't play pc games and I pike the best graphics on consoles so the x is best. They have good exclusives to. Sony has more but Xbox is still good

Bustanen

"Every game on the Xbox is on PC."

Why do you need a 4K monitor when you seem to have a 4K TV already?

The_Mike

And get your ass handed in online games by people who uses keyboard and mouse over a controller.

tryDEATH

This has got to be the most ignorant troll ass comment on here this year with out a doubt.

You considered Halo a weak exclusive franchise, when it was the best selling franchise of all exclusives selling, bar Mario Kart and Wii Sports last generation. Playstation didn't have anything beating the Gears of War franchise let alone even remotely coming close to the Halo franchise.

Also the only exclusive that could somewhat get close to the sales numbers of Halo was Grand Turismo a racing franchise and genre you don't even like.

It would be my honor to present you with this years troll of the year award. LMFAO

the210

This has got to be the most ignorant troll ass comment on here this year with out a doubt.

You considered Halo a weak exclusive franchise, when it was the best selling franchise of all exclusives selling, bar Mario Kart and Wii Sports last generation. Playstation didn't have anything beating the Gears of War franchise let alone even remotely coming close to the Halo franchise.

Also the only exclusive that could somewhat get close to the sales numbers of Halo was Grand Turismo a racing franchise and genre you don't even like.

It would be my honor to present you with this years troll of the year award. LMFAO

The poster doesn't care for shooters or racers so the post makes sense.

tryDEATH

Trolling doesn't mean "having an inflammatory opinion I disagree with"

The poster doesn't care for shooters or racers so the post makes sense.

I guess both of you didn't see the second sentence and I am just seeing shit. Being sarcastically surprised that the best selling last generation franchise(bar MK and Wii Sport) is a system seller isn't trolly or ignorant at all. OK.

Top Bottom