• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why didn't Microsoft win over the hearts of gamers like Sony and Nintendo did?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Because Yakuza and Dragon Quest don't sell as well in the west as they do in Japan. They're not nearly as popular as Final Fantasy and even that franchise I don't think you could argue most people are buying an Xbox to play.
Thats exactly why I chose PlayStation over Xbox. Sure Dragon Quest or Yakuza are not that popular in the west but Playstation still makes it available for me to play those type of games, If Xbox just going bring "the most popular games" then I zero use for them. Also Valkyria Chronicles 4 is even less popular than both DQ and Yakuza but it still got released on Xbox.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I got three replacements. First one only lasted a few weeks. Second one a few months. The third replacement died just beyond the 12 month warranty. Microsoft told me i was shit out of luck.

Only console i've ever had a problem with.
3 year replacement warranty was offered in summer 2007 and was retroactive to gamers who bought at launch.

I got RROD after 6 years. Had to replace it with an Elite 250gb system. Only other problem I had with a console was PS1 where I had to do the upsidedown trick to get the laser to read the disc.

Every other console I've had has worked.

Last edited:

goldenpp72

I mean MS showed their intentions when they closed down a bunch of studios or cut partnerships and decided to rely on third parties, cheap Kinect games, then launch a system with less power for greater cost with the main intent being to push it as a media box. It's not shocking people backed off when the other 2 continued a better path.

Last edited:
The turning point was the Kinect.

Xbox went from the gamer's gaming machine to chasing that Wii casual audience and everything about the Kinect just looked so fucking stupid and lame.

So they were already on thin ice, then the Xbox One pissed away any goodwill left, just a disaster on every level, I've never even touched the Xbox One.

I say that as a big fan of the original Xbox and a fan of the 360 in it's early years (red ring issue aside), for me Alan Wake marked the end of the golden age for Xbox.

Fluzer

Banned
Okay, so from the replies here. You guys want a motion controller designed JRPG game from Microsoft, is that right?

Danjin44

Okay, so from the replies here. You guys want a motion controller designed JRPG game from Microsoft, is that right?
I myself really don't care for motion controls but it would be fantastic if Xbox gets more JRPG on the system, If PC able to get it why can't Xbox?

HeresJohnny

Xbox went from the gamer's gaming machine to chasing that Wii casual audience and everything about the Kinect just looked so fucking stupid and lame.

So they were already on thin ice, then the Xbox One pissed away any goodwill left, just a disaster on every level, I've never even touched the Xbox One.

I say that as a big fan of the original Xbox and a fan of the 360 in it's early years (red ring issue aside), for me Alan Wake marked the end of the golden age for Xbox.
Yeah, that was pretty much it for me too. I hated everything about the Kinect. The 360 was such a gamer's machine and they neutered it into this poor controlling, shallow game eunuch. It was so painful to watch. When I saw they were doubling down on that turd with the Xbone by packing it in with every system that was it. I can safely say I would never have touched the Xbox One if they hadn't gotten that piece of shit out of there.

MilkyJoe

When I think Nintendo I think a company that used to make good games consoles

When I think Microsoft I think Windows and office

When I think Sony I think of a Walkman with orange foam earphones.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It is many PR announcements they walk back from, it is PR doublespeak when decrying exclusives on one side and signing times ones like TR on the other (... and trying to make it sound as if it were full exclusive), it is the parity clause they hit indies with and misled public about, it is the rally against competition from crossplay in a holier than thou form ignoring OG Xbox and Xbox 360 (especially the latter when they dominated and thus had reasons to refuse crossplay), it is about pushing for Kinect as packed in peripheral in a tone deaf manner not long after it became known they were voluntary part of NSA’s PRISM program to spy on American citizens, etc...

GenericUser

Microsoft is the Windows and Office company, these products are the furthest away from what I would consider "fun".

They also never managed to create their own vibe, their own uniqueness in the gaming world. Nintendo is the fun company that has Mario and shit, Sony are the edgelord tryhard cool guys, Microsoft is ....

tenor.gif

Fluzer

Banned
Microsoft is the Windows and Office company, these products are the furthest away from what I would consider "fun".

They also never managed to create their own vibe, their own uniqueness in the gaming world. Nintendo is the fun company that has Mario and shit, Sony are the edgelord tryhard cool guys, Microsoft is ....

tenor.gif

This looks pretty fun to me.

bellome

1) Bad hardware quality
2) Lack of high profile exclusives
3) Mischievous marketing

That's all i need to choose other console manufacturers.

Last edited:

tenor.gif

Those are some joyous white men.

But they did create their own vibe, it's like I said, Xbox was the "gamer's gaming machine", a premium experience and kinda sorta bringing the PC experience into consoles (Xbox started life as "DirectXbox after all)

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned

There's always the danger of Sony doing the same stupid mistake next gen but with VR.

Last edited:

Moses85

It's simple. They were and are completely unable to sell the Xbox outside of English speaking countries, meaning they had to rely on running up the score in those countries to gain traction. The original Xbox had a niche to build on, and the 360 relied on Sony fumbling out of the gate (and it still lost in the end).

And yes, part of the problem is the Microsoft brand in general is a "work" brand. Even Microsoft recognized this, which is why IIRC the Xbox division itself was Plan B and Plan A was to buy Nintendo by offering twice what the company was worth. (In retrospect, they should have bought Sega).

They sold more Xbox 360 consoles in Germany than Sony did with the PS3, so this isnt true.

Their biggest fail was the Kinect, TV and Used Game shit. People will give them a new Chance of the Next Xbox is stronger and cheaper than the PS5

Zannegan

I think a lot of people like them, especially in the US. They just failed to come up with the most compelling product for many this gen and their exclusive stable has been weak. A new console gen and a few solid exclusives (and a return to form from their non-Forza staples) could make all the difference.

I really don't think you can take what you hear here and elsewhere online as a barometer of the company's general perception. Don't get me wrong, I love the scrappy core gamer crowd that gathers in online forums like this one to argue about which games and consoles are best and why, but I would never confuse it for a representative sample of the gaming population at large. Just look at the way many here (myself not excluded) feel about Fortnight versus its insane sales success.

Last edited:

Shifty

Bring Ninja Gaiden Black / 2 to PC via backwards compatibiliity and all will be forigven.

OG Xbox and 360 were strong, they can make a comeback. And a sequel to Gunvalkyrie while they're at it.

Last edited:
I have to say I'm enjoying some of the lunacy in this thread. MS definitely dropped the ball HARD during the end of the 360's lifespan and then for the intro/first half of the X1's life but prior to that they did very well (and still aren't doing bad now).

So, OP, how did the 360 not "win over hearts of gamers" when it sold a ton of units over it's life? Such a stupid initial question anyways. Just because you don't like it does that mean the millions who bought one don't or bought one out of spite because "their hearts weren't won over?" <FART>

Thabass

I think it's because they got cocky. They were the talk of the town in 2005 - 2009 with the Xbox 360. They, like Sony, got arrogant with the Xbox One and Kinect features and they didn't rest on their laurels with just good games. They tried to hard to innovate instead of just making good games instead. Also, Microsoft going with the "entertainment" direction didn't help their cause either.

When Sony adjusted this view, they put games first and they started putting out games like The Last of Us, Metal Gear Solid, Uncharted, Heavy Rain, ect... I think gamers realized that Sony was coming back with a vengeance.

Microsoft lacked direction and focus and continued to focus on their innovation. The lack of first party titles are also a big factor.

lock2k

Banned
They won mine. I'm platform agnostic and I like all of them but in terms of features and ecosystem I enjoy Microsoft stuff a lot. Also LOVE their BC this gen.

mejin

lack of great first party games is a lack of identity imo

they are ace in services and features, but this won't convince the world to choose them.

royox

They did that for me with the 360. It was filled with Jrpg, halo, gears, mass effect, "stole" the FF exclusivity from Sony and many other "play station sagas". But they went full retarded with all the kinect and "always online" stuff and got my first sony console, PS4 (very happy). Also Nintendo lost me with the wii and all the pandering to the +60 years old public and forgetting about the "gamers". And who knows, maybe sony loses me with the ps5.

lack of great first party games is a lack of identity imo

they are ace in services and features, but this won't convince the world to choose them.

I can agree with this to an extent. Halo, Gears, Forza are great games but if they want to expand their base they need to find some new IP that sticks. I don't know what their plans are but it certainly seems like they need more AAA story focused single player games if they want to attract different demos. I would imagine that will unfold in some sort of way but part of me wonders how much energy they'll use in that pursuit since they seem to relish being the more multiplayer-centric brand.

dilbag

Xbox one launch was terrible... the message was awful. being told to stick to the 360 if you want an offline machine was beyond dumb.

Xbox is doing way better in today's world i believe, Game pass is incredible and Microsoft building up its first party studio is a good move. The problem is they still just don't have the games. It almost feels like MS just gave up and are they are gunning up for next gen.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I think it's because they got cocky. They were the talk of the town in 2005 - 2009 with the Xbox 360. They, like Sony, got arrogant with the Xbox One and Kinect features and they didn't rest on their laurels with just good games. They tried to hard to innovate instead of just making good games instead. Also, Microsoft going with the "entertainment" direction didn't help their cause either.

When Sony adjusted this view, they put games first and they started putting out games like The Last of Us, Metal Gear Solid, Uncharted, Heavy Rain, ect... I think gamers realized that Sony was coming back with a vengeance.

Microsoft lacked direction and focus and continued to focus on their innovation. The lack of first party titles are also a big factor.

since when was Metal gear Solid a Sony game?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Lol. Hilarious.

Even Platinum admits they f*cked that game up. I blame Microsoft for not cancelling it sooner.

I think its funny people being pissed at a game that was cancelled that nobody had played and then calling a company for that. if the games a turd then the games a turd and they did us a favour

The Alien

Banned
I think its funny people being pissed at a game that was cancelled that nobody had played and then calling a company for that. if the games a turd then the games a turd and they did us a favour
Agreed.

I love that it was 'this' game that made people forever sour on XBox/Microsoft. Utterly laughable.

For the record, by many accounts, here's some Scalebound info:
  • Game in dev for ~3 years
  • During that time Platinum released ~8 games (likely using MS $) but still struggled to meet multiple MS deadlines.
  • After 3 years of dev, game struggled to even hit 15 fps. Estimated another 2 years dev needed.
  • MS retained IP.
  • Platinum recently released a 'sympathetic statement about MS.

Danjin44

I think the reason people care Scalebound because it was good opportunity for MS having their own exclusive Japanese games on their but if that didn’t work for them for what ever reason, is there even going to Japanese exclusive game on Xbox?

Doesn’t who fault it is but it seems either MS or Japanese developers ever wants work together to make exclusive games for Xbox.....at least that’s impression I’m getting.

Xenon

They are not from Japan. Every console after the game crash came out of Japan and had support from a large number of Japanese developers. While the Xbox did well with Sega's help with some great support early on, the Xbox was a western console with a focus on western developed games, heavy on FPS. Sure MS has had support from Japan, but they should have set up a bigger HQ in the country and created a bigger presence for themselves there. This is something the Japanese companies understood and respected. While the market was much smaller, Japan was a mecca for console development and should have been more of a focus for MS. Also, you had a gaming press that was raised on consoles from the east, nostalgia is a powerful influence and has effected the overall coverage of the machine.

ksdixon

Backdoor'd their way into console industry by patting Sega on the back in order to find the soft spot, then knifing them and stepping over their body all whilst raving about their new online gaming service as if they invented it.

What I wouldn't give to have Sega hold out for a couple more years and at least get a DreamCast 2 out with a DVD player in it, broadband Internet, and also that motion controlled "wii mote" prototype as well. Any successes due to Xbox Live or Wii motion controls should have been Sega's.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Agreed.

I love that it was 'this' game that made people forever sour on XBox/Microsoft. Utterly laughable.

For the record, by many accounts, here's some Scalebound info:
  • Game in dev for ~3 years
  • During that time Platinum released ~8 games (likely using MS $) but still struggled to meet multiple MS deadlines.
  • After 3 years of dev, game struggled to even hit 15 fps. Estimated another 2 years dev needed.
  • MS retained IP.
  • Platinum recently released a 'sympathetic statement about MS.
Console warz unfortunately. Look how Crackdown 3 suddenly became this huge game that was everyones no.1 most wanted game, once the reviews started dropping.

Larxia

Is it true though? Maybe people don't look at the big picture then, because lately MS has appeared as a way better company than Sony and to a lesser extent nintendo.
I'm a PC gamer so I'm not even taking part of any console war or whatever, I don't care, but MS has been way more pro consumer in the last year or two than sony and nintendo, especially Sony who's became worse and worse with the success of the ps4, with a lot of anti consumer practices and dumb policies.

Saber

Gold Member

Wait...people can't be sad for a game to be canceled just because they never played? A game be canceled is not enought reason to be sad? What kind of logic is that?

Rodolink

The 360 was pretty much loved in México I remember most people had that one instead of PS3 at the beginning thanks to the price and good marketing Microsoft Latam gave.
It was sad when the One appeared they lost all that fanbase.
What I liked as their value proposal with the Xbox brand was power. The Xbox original was the most powerful console. And now they rectified the path with the X.
I always wanted one just for Ninja Gaiden and DOA.
I think they should continue with that mentality, gamers first and power next.
Also they introduced achievements and good gaming community with Live.
They deserve more love, despite their mistakes.
(People saying its all business, have no idea about the industry)

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Xbox 360 sold 84 million consoles, I think I think I would count that as a success. PS3 only sold 3 million more and I think that happened towards the end of the last gen. Xbox 360 was ahead until near the end I beleive.
I love how people assume xbox sold no more consoles after the first "final" count happened. Not a single one. Sony comes in, 6 years later and announces 87 million and then Sony fanboys rejoice. Microsoft stopped reporting numbers soon after that generation moved on, but they were still selling games and systems on xbox 360 well into this gen.

I'm not saying this means xbox 360 sold more than 87 million. Its an unknown number just like the X1.

Bias is insane on GAF sometimes.

gifgaf

I love how people assume xbox sold no more consoles after the first "final" count happened. Not a single one. Sony comes in, 6 years later and announces 87 million and then Sony fanboys rejoice. Microsoft stopped reporting numbers soon after that generation moved on, but they were still selling games and systems on xbox 360 well into this gen.

I'm not saying this means xbox 360 sold more than 87 million. Its an unknown number just like the X1.

Bias is insane on GAF sometimes.

I didn't assume, I did some googling and took some numbers to put a point across, thats all. No Bias at my end.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Me personally they lost more than anything. Loved the 360 despite all it hardware problems (actually bought it three times in total) but after Moore left and Mattrick took over with Kinect I jumped ship back to Sony.

Early 360 were awesome. Great games (Kameo, Alan Wake, Mass Effect etc.), Xbox Live was amazing and I met a lot of great people and it gave me the achievement system which I still love.

Real shame they ditched the gamers to case the mass market with Kinect. I mean, I can understand it from an economical view but I think it would have been possible to tap into that motion control money without completely abandoning the core gamers they used to please.

Havoc2049

don't understand the hate for the Zune especially the Zunehd

Project Gotham Racing: Ferrari Edition on the Zune HD was a legit good game. I miss the Project Gotham Racing series.

I'm an Xbox fan, but my fav Microsoft console is still the OG Xbox, with the winning combo of Microsoft Game Studios at their best, the most powerful console on the market, Sega exclusives , Team Ninja exclusives, AAA CRPG console exclusives like Morrowind, Fable and KOTOR and an awesome Xbox Live community. Then you had super cool and unique stuff like the convertible sniper rifle/shotgun lightgun for Silent Scope Complete and The House of the Dead 3.

The Xbox also had this Japanese Xbox Exclusive hardcore gamer wet dream, with a sequel that included online play!!

steel_battalion.jpg

But ya, Microsoft went down the Kinect/motion control rabbit hole too far, got rid of FASA and Bungie, and tried to launch the Xbox One as a set-top box, instead of a game console. Thankfully, it looks like Microsoft is back on track. If the next Halo is on par with the Bungie developed Halo games, they will be right back in the mix.

Last edited:
Top Bottom