• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do Gamers get a bad wrap?

Kev Kev

52Kce9X.png

"get a bad wrap?"

"bad wrap?"

"brap"

☝️there it is

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Nothing is considered more Peter Pan Syndrome than adults video gaming unfortunately.

It's a stigma that's difficult to break.

Matt_Fox

Gamers today never had it so good. Playing video games is socially accepted now as a 'normal' activity.

Take that from a guy who did the hard miles back in the 80s. We broke down the boundaries and wore down the naysayers, we walked into Mordor. And we did it so kids today can play games and be cool!
Although, of course, 80s D+D nerds did get all the girls...

zptKrd7.jpg

Bragr

Banned
Yes, you are projecting. That isn't to say I wasn't using my own anecdotes nor did I suggest otherwise.

"you could do a lot better", go fuck yourself with this one. I am doing the best I can. I am enjoying my life. I don't need someone like you, who is ashamed of himself, to tell me that I "can do better".

It isn't hard. You just keep making excuses.

Keep projecting, dismissing others, and standing on that high horse of yours. No point in discussing with someone whose head is firmly planted up their own arse.
The idea is that right now is only half the picture, the rest is the future, which depends on how you produce things right now. I also live well right now, but I recognize I could get further. I think this is common for most people, we don't see the forest for the trees.

CGiRanger

Banned
I'm a bit torn on this. I don't think anyone should be made fun of for their hobbies as a rule.

As for myself, I've definitely been a isolationist gamer. I mostly enjoyed single-player games and RPGs and didn't have many co-op experiences growing up. I of course enjoyed the time I spent with my games, and they definitely helped me out in dealing with other trauma going on. But since they were the simplest method to escape for me, it was easy to get lost in them, and totally ignore the growing issues with my social development, which is still in the shitter.

It's not the games fault though. It's not even the "marketing's" fault really. I've always had a type of game I enjoy and I'll do my own research and such on it and that will be why I anticipate the game. I honestly cannot recall actually paying any serious attention to any real marketing campaign that impacted my desire for a game at any notable level.

I mean, there's no guarantee that if I hadn't latched onto gaming, I wouldn't have latched onto something else that was just as isolating like simply watching TV (which I also did) or maybe diving more into books or comics/manga/anime. So I don't think it's that fair when gamers seem to get the worst rap compared to other hobbies that are out there that are just as isolating or not physically healthy. People who sit all day watching daytime TV don't seem to get as much vitriol as gamers do after all.

I suppose I wish that I could have somehow found a way to turn gaming into something more social for me. But even what little I've seen of others, some of them go far off the deep end even for my tastes (and a lot of them tend to have nasty personalities too)

CZY

I feel like this is just you caring too much about what other people think, you’re way overthinking it, etc. Not shitposting the topic, I mean in the reductionist sense that’s where this topic ends up — gamers getting this or that reputation is utterly irrelevant on the individual level and you should not be concerning yourself with it at all. Your hobbies and your vices are between you and the real people in your life. Are we talking about girls not liking you here or something? Why are you thinking about this at all?

anthony2690

Banned
Have you seen the way grown ass men act on here and twitter?

Arguing over consoles, I'll never understand this, they spend more time on twitter than playing games, do they even enjoy playing games on their platform off choice or just enjoy following what the "rival" company is doing?

& Have you seen most games Twitter pages it's literally nothing but abuse, insults or complaints about the game, I don't understand why people can't just enjoy things & maybe be positive :p

Novacain

Ironically gaming was much better when it was a "loser" hobby. You had more creative and interesting games and the gaming media actually wrote about games. Now that normies invaded it most AAA games are unoriginal and broken and most gaming articles are now clickbait garbage.
Definitely true - that tends to happen with a lot of entertainment if you track history; the more popular something gets the more it loses the original niche.

A lot of bands, actors, directors, writers and game creators get significantly worse after they "make it".

Woggleman

My wife worked at a gamestop and also bartended at a dive bar with a lot of biker types back in the day. If you ask her which experience was worse she would hands down tell you the first. I love gaming and I love games but we have to be honest with ourselves that there is a certain element that helps to fuel this image.

My wife worked at a gamestop and also bartended at a dive bar with a lot of biker types back in the day. If you ask her which experience was worse she would hands down tell you the first. I love gaming and I love games but we have to be honest with ourselves that there is a certain element that helps to fuel this image.
Care to elaborate?

Top Bottom