• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do gamers think it’s bad Gamepass is bad when major developers and some indie developers use Gamepass?

Do you have an issue with Xbox Gamepass (and other services)

• Yes they should all die and go to hell

Votes: 72 26.8%
  • No they should continue to coexist

Votes: 197 73.2%

• Total voters

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm pretty sure last time I checked all of my disc based games still worked even though I have game pass. The issues people seem to bring up about game pass are 'what ifs' and not really the system as it is today.

What if the price rises to $50? What if game pass is the only way to get games on Xbox? What if the only games on game pass are games as a service? What if all you can do is 'rent' games and they stop selling them? The problem is there is no evidence any of these things will happen. How about complaining about things when they happen instead of random speculation? If they all happen pretty sure game pass is toast anyway.
Just like prices would not race to the bottom on mobile. The move towards game rental service subscription brings, if successful, a serious and difficult to recover from effect on perceived game value and so far mobile has not recovered yet. Then again GamePass and the likes could still live side by side with regular game distribution and that is where hope lies (publishers starting to change games/optimise games for GamePass fits the model of those worried about those digital rental service subscription shifts).

Then again... some people did try to warn the likes of you about digital distribution not passing the savings to consumers (no middleman taking a non trivial cut of the sale price, no extra cost manufacturing and shipping discs/carts to stores, etc...) while they were touting the company line that underscored the first big pushes towards an all digital future and were ok with phoning home checks, etc... :).
The games industry response to digital games being more profitable was “well thanks, we will gladly take the extra profits and justify it on selling you convenience and we will even try to force you to preorder them as if they were scarce goods :LOL:“.

Last edited:
Services like GamePass are good as long as it continues to co-exist with other distributions methods.

If they ever become dominant it will change the entire gaming landscape, more especially how games are designed... and not necessarily for the better. Big budget AAA blockbusters are not sustainable under a subscription service dominated market model.

Paasei

As long as it remains an alternative and not the standard it's fine, good actually.
If it would be the standard we'd have the same bullshit with the movie/shows streaming services. You need 10 subscriptions for 10 shows. That is when it goes too far.

killatopak

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure last time I checked all of my disc based games still worked even though I have game pass. The issues people seem to bring up about game pass are 'what ifs' and not really the system as it is today.

What if the price rises to $50? What if game pass is the only way to get games on Xbox? What if the only games on game pass are games as a service? What if all you can do is 'rent' games and they stop selling them? The problem is there is no evidence any of these things will happen. How about complaining about things when they happen instead of random speculation? If they all happen pretty sure game pass is toast anyway.
I have no desire to buy gamepass since I buy physical games therefore it has no value to me.
I don’t know how simple the answer could get by someone asking a personal question and not how everyone else perceives the value of it. 🤷🏻‍♀️

The only reason for me to get one is if it features digital only content which I would get to pay less of.

Again the way I see it if I don’t see major developers along with indie developers complaining enough about where the backlash out of everything gaming plays out then why just why do some gamers find an issue with these services? You are not being held a gun to your head and forced to use it and games are still being sold on storefronts and that’s not something that will go away for at least 2 to 3 generations long and long time in gaming years.

So my question to you guys are do you have an issue with it and why?

That's pretty good argument against it isn't it? Big companies are 100% profit driven and they hate software and more generally product ownership and would greatly prefer to replace it with subscription plans where customer is left with nothing the moment he/she stops paying.

Also the whole gamepress great value argument is based on several missconceptions straight out of Microsoft PR department.

1st - the current deals won't last forever - they are here to gather userbase and later once they are happy with userbase they will start going for profit.

2nd - gamepass is short term rental with ton of games leaving service fast (for how short lived it is the fact of games leaving it is extremely hilarious - just scroll this and check over 300 games that are no longer on the service - but you will be hard presses to find any big threads about it
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kspw-4paT-eE5-mrCrc4R9tg70lH2ZTFrJOUmOtOytg/edit#gid=0 ). Same shit is with Netflix where they regularly remove good movies and replace them with their own junk content.

3rd - the so called value - people counting gamepass savings are always talking about 60$ games - well that's pretty much bull.... because as we already established what you are paying for is rental and not ownership so the actual value is much lower. And majority of games released are not worth day 1 price - you can barely find a few of them each year - and of those majority is not hitting gamepass day 1 but after several months/years where their price davalueted.

4rt- you might think that you will be doing fine for whole life but random things happen and you might find yourself at the point of life where you will need to cut all subscriptions to save cash. Then you are left with nothing while stuff you bough will be there. I already had that once when i moved to my own flat (repair works pretty much consumed all my savings so I sure as hell was glad that i don't have to spend on games with my massive backlog)

Shmunter

People love to have cheap shit. The race to the bottom is more and more common.

Wiping out competition, conditioning customers to pay less and less, devaluing the product to the point the product itself needs to cut corners to sustain itself within the new market expectations.

Globalisation, loss of local jobs, online retail, death of shopping malls. The margin is narrowing, and gamepass models will eventually squeeze the market. Not too dissimilar to mobile gaming conditioning games to feel practically worthless.

Raekwon26

Well honestly you're just being disingenuous there. Take the time to look up steam charts, millions of people bought with hard cash Halo, Sea of Thieves and MFS last year. All those games are on GP including other quality games with tons of updated content like Forza, Gears and Minecraft. As for third party I just finished Doom Eternal which was one of the highest rated games last year, my go to multiplayer game is BFV that has a revigorated playerbase now and next is the Medium which is the most anticipated game this month.

"But what games :messenger_persevering:"

No.

Not interested in what's going on with Steam. Has no relevance at all.

The games you listed like Halo, SOT, Forza, Gears and Minecraft came out years ago. Some of them even before the Gamepass model put them on there. If there was so much interest in the games, I would pick them up day and date, not sit there and say, "well it's gonna be on Gamepass." That's not how I consume games at all. I'm not subscribing to a service to play games I most likely own and have played years ago, that seems pointless to me.

You then mention Doom Eternal...… really? Anybody that enjoyed the reboot picked the sequel up day and date. They knew what they were getting, Gamepass had no factor in that games outreach at all.

So, yeah, no games. Wasn't Call of the Sea a title that came out on the service that was promoted with the new console? That and that falcon game.

To me, this service is meh.

As I said from the start.. People are salty because xbox game pass is not called playstation gamepass.

If and when PS Now starts matching gamepass in terms of numbers, quality and first party studios output on the service.... I can guarantee most of the fanboys on this page will be praising in
T to high heavens.

The rest of the complaints on this thread are mostly 'what ifs' from people that have clearly never used gamepass before. I get that people feel the need to defend their console of choice but theres no need to slate something that's actually a fantastic service. Gamepass is the whole reason I switched from Ps4 to Xbox and I've been gaming every day since November after not playing games for a while.

Last edited:
Gamepass is actually a game changer for me personally. I didn’t realize how awesome it was - it basically is built for someone like me who rarely needs to actually own a game. I use plenty of other subscription services in other media as well. I dunno people hate on it for some reason but I honestly can’t wrap my head around why unless you’re like super hardcore with sentimental value in owning your games.

EDIT: I will say I was pretty upset about the hbo Max releasing all major WB movies in theater and on streaming at the same time. Not directly comparable but I definitely get being upset about the possibility of your particular favorite art form being fucked with that way. I just don’t have that type of attachment to video games.

Last edited:

Three

Games are taking longer to develop, that is for sure. But Gamepass being only good for small budget GAAS games not only has not played out in real life, but doesn't make sense for the future either. Would anyone pay for Netflix if they were still just a collection of older TV shows and movies? No, Netflix needs constant content, and specifically top-tier, high quality content to keep subscribers hooked. Gamepass will die and wither if they decide to stop investing in big budget games. You can also look at their upcoming first party content and see a lot of single player games getting approved......Again these are "concerns" about things that are not even happening...
Netflix movies are not big budget movies. The big budget movies they do have are the older movies. They keep people hooked with small budget mini series and the occasional netflix original movie that doesn't match the cinema blockbusters.

Why do you think it hasn't played out that way? It kind of has if you look at what MS has been putting out. Sea of thieves, crackdown, Bleeding edge, Grounded even minecraft. Halo infinite will probably be a free to play gaas game too. 2020 wasn't a great year in terms of big budget releases, for PC arguably but xbox definitely not by any stretch of the imagination.

Netflix movies are not big budget movies. The big budget movies they do have are the older movies. They keep people hooked with small budget mini series and the occasional netflix original movie that doesn't match the cinema blockbusters.

Why do you think it hasn't played out that way? It kind of has if you look at what MS has been putting out. Sea of thieves, crackdown, Bleeding edge, Grounded even minecraft. Halo infinite will probably be a free to play gaas game too. 2020 wasn't a great year in terms of big budget releases, for PC arguably but xbox definitely not by any stretch of the imagination.
I mean Netflix does do big budget movies, as does every streaming service. Not like huge blockbusters like Avengers or something but that’s not what constitutes a big budget film. No one even considers movies like that to be the best movies of the year - ever, they’re not even in the conversation. And it’s kinda been good for the industry in some ways as it encourages more risky films and gives higher concept stuff a bigger budget than they would get in the old studio system. But if you wanna purely define big budget as blockbusters - just look at AT&T - as I said in my post the HBO MAX deal with WB for 2021. Dune, matrix 4 all releasing day and date with theatrical releases.

Three

I mean Netflix does do big budget movies, as does every streaming service. Not like huge blockbusters like Avengers or something but that’s not what constitutes a big budget film. No one even considers movies like that to be the best movies of the year - ever, they’re not even in the conversation. And it’s kinda been good for the industry in some ways as it encourages more risky films and gives higher concept stuff a bigger budget than they would get in the old studio system. But if you wanna purely define big budget as blockbusters - just look at AT&T - as I said in my post the HBO MAX deal with WB for 2021. Dune, matrix 4 all releasing day and date with theatrical releases.
Top 5 Biggest Netflix Original movies:
1) Extraction
2) Bird Box
3) Spencer Confidential
4) 6 Underground
5) Murder Mystery

Those to me are not even in the same league as Fast and Furious, Joker, or Tenet let alone really big budget movies like Avengers, Lord of the Rings, James Bond, Star Wars, Toy Story etc.

Mmnow

Top 5 Biggest Netflix Original movies:
1) Extraction
2) Bird Box
3) Spencer Confidential
4) 6 Underground
5) Murder Mystery

Those to me are not even in the same league as Fast and Furious, Joker, or Tenet let alone really big budget movies like Avengers, Lord of the Rings, James Bond, Star Wars, Toy Story etc.
What is that Netflix list?

Tenet bombed. Fast and the Furious is a punchline. Joker had a below-average budget (notably so). Amazon is making a Lord of the Rings TV show for its streaming platform that is almost definitely going to cost more than production on the original trilogy. Star Wars is going streaming only for all intents and purposes. Over the Moon is a Pixar style film that seemed to have great success on Netflix when it released this year (and it's bloody good to boot). Oh, and Soul was day one on Disney Plus.

This conversation comes up in every Gamepass thread, but it just doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

vkbest

Because developers want get money fast, when on future years, they can't sell game at any price, because people only want subs model and MS, Amazon, Google, Apple, etc begin to cut their share profit percentage because they have oligopoly, they will cry and will say the gaming is not profitable market.

MDSLKTR

No.

Not interested in what's going on with Steam. Has no relevance at all.

The games you listed like Halo, SOT, Forza, Gears and Minecraft came out years ago. Some of them even before the Gamepass model put them on there. If there was so much interest in the games, I would pick them up day and date, not sit there and say, "well it's gonna be on Gamepass." That's not how I consume games at all. I'm not subscribing to a service to play games I most likely own and have played years ago, that seems pointless to me.

You then mention Doom Eternal...… really? Anybody that enjoyed the reboot picked the sequel up day and date. They knew what they were getting, Gamepass had no factor in that games outreach at all.

So, yeah, no games. Wasn't Call of the Sea a title that came out on the service that was promoted with the new console? That and that falcon game.

To me, this service is meh.
What the hell you talking about 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ All the games listed are thriving under that model and are relevant today to all kind of player bases. And Steam is irrelevant because you decided so? Dude that's a lot of conviction for being so ignorant, just march to the capitol at this point.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Its just more downplay / denial. We have already gotten great AAA high quality games like Halo 5 Guardians, Flight Simulator, Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4 day 1 into Game Pass with alot more announced.

HS5WU3k.jpg
I wonder if GamePass will be the same price in 2023. How much longer can MS keep burning through cash before shareholders demand results from it 🤔.

klosos

Me i like it , i have it on PC and i have tried a few games like Gears Tactics ( bloody great game btw) , Rage 2 and a few smaller titles that i would never have paid for or played if not for Gamepass.

I think MS are going in the right direction, which is a great thing for EVERYONE.

Hezekiah

Banned
That's changing with both Zenimax and the other new MS studios finally getting their games out to the market, and to Gamepass.
Day one for Doom, Wolfenstein, Hellblade, Halo, Gears, Fallout, TES, Star field, Forza, etc etc is going to shake Sony up.
Reality is that with Zenimax on board MS first party leaves Sony behind.
Not for most people imo. Doom and Wolfenstein (love the first recent games, but they ruined the last one) aren't big franchises compared to COD and Battlefield. Fallout has taken a hammering in recent years. Starfield could be big but is a complete unknown, same goes for Avowed and Fable. I think those three could have the biggest impact, although the last two won't be out for ages.

Gears 5 is pretty good, but the semi-open world did nothing to revive the series. Gears and Halo are just nowhere near as big in terms of sales and influence compared to their heyday. Forza is still very popular though, but Gran Turismo is bigger.

Plus all of these games will be on PC, and the FPS games are probably better there anyway due to free online and keyboard and mouse options.

Also some of Sony's studios have two teams now like Naughty Dog, Guerilla Games and Insomniac allowing them to work on more than one project, so while Microsoft has the numbers if you include Zenimax, it's not to the extent you might think at first glance. I'd also argue MS has more 'B tier' developers.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Wiping out competition, conditioning customers to pay less and less, devaluing the product to the point the product itself needs to cut corners to sustain itself within the new market expectations.

Globalisation, loss of local jobs, online retail, death of shopping malls. The margin is narrowing, and gamepass models will eventually squeeze the market. Not too dissimilar to mobile gaming conditioning games to feel practically worthless.

F2P is a direct response to the race to the bottom. If people are too conditioned to want to pay for games, let's create game play loops that force gamers to spend money. Great if you like those games, but it could kill the blockbuster games people now buy consoles for.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
it seems most people who criticise gamepass are people who don't have a pc or xbox.

i don't have an xbox but i do have a PC. i've actually used it and i think it's a great service and there's no reason it should change or stop.

Well, it’s because they don’t have much else.

There’s a reason you can walk into any store and find a new Xbox as opposed to a PS5.
compared to PS5 which has what? Spiderman, Demons Souls, and PS+/Now? lol

your fanboy is showing

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Some people can't get their heads around the concept of renting games, even though we've been doing it for decades, and those people haven't realised that they don't technically own their digital games either.

Some people think it's "bad value" because they're the kinds of people who will revisit a game over and over again, but that's not what many others do.
Exactly. I'm in my 30s and games are one and done for me. I never try to 100% a game anymore.

Actually to be fair now I did do it with Ori and the will of the wisps but certainly not in an open world game.

For me gamepass is perfect. I just don't care about owning games anymore. Meh

skit_data

I dont think it necessarily has to hurt the way games are made, it might branch out to create a new type of experience in a similar way Netflix and HBO made large budget-TV series bigger than ever.

I would like Sony to do something similar to some extent, but just like Microsofts day-and-date policy for games releasing on both PC and Consoles i think its a mistake to release 1st party titles on a subscribtion service day one.

Tenet bombed. Fast and the Furious is a punchline. Joker had a below-average budget (notably so). Amazon is making a Lord of the Rings TV show for its streaming platform that is almost definitely going to cost more than production on the original trilogy. Star Wars is going streaming only for all intents and purposes. Over the Moon is a Pixar style film that seemed to have great success on Netflix when it released this year (and it's bloody good to boot). Oh, and Soul was day one on Disney Plus.

This conversation comes up in every Gamepass thread, but it just doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.
The guy clearly has no idea how the film industry works, nothing to do with reality. Joker? That’s a 40 million dollar movie. Quality/budget in no way has been affected by this business model - like I said riskier projects are actually getting funded more often as a result. Things that you would never see on network TV or cable before or theatrically. The Irishman would not have been made without Netflix. Look at Disney plus, Amazon prime, hbo max, any streaming service.

Three

It's the top movies created by Netflix as clearly stated.

Tenet bombed in cinamas yes. I wonder why? But Tenet is still a lot better than say Murder Mystery from netflix. Soul came direct to Disney+ again I wonder why? We have some strange lockdowns and not a lot of people are going to the cinema.

But if you look at that top watched netflix list you have got to put on some really big blinders to suggest it compares to blockbuster movies.

Joker had a low budget but notice that I mention that is not even the big budget movies like Toy Story or James Bond. I'm saying Netfixs big movies don't even compare to smaller blockbuster movies like Joker or Tenet.

Compare Jokers 55M budget to one of Netflix's big movies Bird Box which had a budget of what 20M?

As for the TV show. Sure I can see the total budget of 20+ episodes being more than 3 blockbuster movies but that's exactly the point I'm making. The lord of the rings 'TV show' is akin to any huge single player blockbuster game becoming a Gaas with monthly seasons. That's exactly the point I'm making. They aren't making a huge high quality high budget movie they are making something to keep you 'engaged' and subscribed per month at a lower budget per episode. That's what GaaS is. The big budget movies would be few and far between.

Last edited:
Just like prices would not race to the bottom on mobile. The move towards game rental service subscription brings, if successful, a serious and difficult to recover from effect on perceived game value and so far mobile has not recovered yet. Then again GamePass and the likes could still live side by side with regular game distribution and that is where hope lies (publishers starting to change games/optimise games for GamePass fits the model of those worried about those digital rental service subscription shifts).

Then again... some people did try to warn the likes of you about digital distribution not passing the savings to consumers (no middleman taking a non trivial cut of the sale price, no extra cost manufacturing and shipping discs/carts to stores, etc...) while they were touting the company line that underscored the first big pushes towards an all digital future and were ok with phoning home checks, etc... :).
The games industry response to digital games being more profitable was “well thanks, we will gladly take the extra profits and justify it on selling you convenience and we will even try to force you to preorder them as if they were scarce goods :LOL:“.
When was mobile gaming like console gaming? It was always simple puzzle titles and F2P indy efforts. How is game pass showing any sort of 'race to the bottom'? Are you implying MS game efforts are equivalent to mobile titles?

You might not know this but digital game distribution was a thing BEFORE game pass its not something MS invented. Game pass if anything adds more value for those who buy titles from the service because you get a discount you otherwise might not get. Of course the Sony fans don't know you can buy any game you want so they'll keep ranting about renting titles.

All the complaints you make about digital distribution exist in an even worse state on PlayStation because anything you buy there you can't even get a refund and there is no way to download and play a title to see if you like it like game pass. This is just an area where the Xbox CLEARLY has the best value. The complaints just come across like sour grapes. Just a bunch of 'what ifs' from the usual haters.

SkylineRKR

Exactly. I'm in my 30s and games are one and done for me. I never try to 100% a game anymore.

Actually to be fair now I did do it with Ori and the will of the wisps but certainly not in an open world game.

For me gamepass is perfect. I just don't care about owning games anymore. Meh
Pretty much.

Games I owned, were uninstalled and collecting dust somewhere. Its not like physical PS4 games have the same novelty as a CIB SNES or N64 game. Its just a case with a disc, nothing more, all the disc does is an ID check. For me there is zero reason to keep my games once I'm done. I don't even own a game on disc anymore, I don't give a shit. Movies, same.

I'm fine with playing through GP, and delete them once I'm done. In the end you're playing them, beat them, and look forward to the next one.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
When was mobile gaming like console gaming? It was always simple puzzle titles and F2P indy efforts. How is game pass showing any sort of 'race to the bottom'? Are you implying MS game efforts are equivalent to mobile titles?

You might not know this but digital game distribution was a thing BEFORE game pass its not something MS invented. Game pass if anything adds more value for those who buy titles from the service because you get a discount you otherwise might not get. Of course the Sony fans don't know you can buy any game you want so they'll keep ranting about renting titles.

All the complaints you make about digital distribution exist in an even worse state on PlayStation because anything you buy there you can't even get a refund and there is no way to download and play a title to see if you like it like game pass. This is just an area where the Xbox CLEARLY has the best value. The complaints just come across like sour grapes. Just a bunch of 'what ifs' from the usual haters.
Just getting console war out of everything if you see my point about Digital Distribution being something against MS 🤷‍♂️.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Well I might have missed when Game pass was announced on the Switch and PS5. It's not a stretch to connect digital distribution, game pass and MS sir. It has nothing to do with console war.
Digital Distribution was used as a reference point to seemingly only pro consumer changes being either misleading or hurtful beside the very short term.

GamePass is not out on Switch or PS5 but that is not the point, the point is an online only Netflix style future and if it took over massively on one platform it would likely go to others too (at the end of the day it may be Disney+ for gaming that wins or maybe Apple enters the console gaming world...), but I guess all worth burning it all if it could help MS in the short term? That is what would make it just console war related.

NahaNago

I just feel like if gamepass ends up being the dominant way of getting games we would have far less big budget games. The price of gamepass is the same as one mmo subscription and they give you multiple games in gamepass so how does it make money. It feels like a long game to trap. It is nice to have though.

Digital Distribution was used as a reference point to seemingly only pro consumer changes being either misleading or hurtful beside the very short term.

GamePass is not out on Switch or PS5 but that is not the point, the point is an online only Netflix style future and if it took over massively on one platform it would likely go to others too (at the end of the day it may be Disney+ for gaming that wins or maybe Apple enters the console gaming world...), but I guess all worth burning it all if it could help MS in the short term? That is what would make it just console war related.
So where does the PS5 DE fit in your narrative? Your argument again amounts to a 'what if MS adopts a Netflix style of game distribution". Maybe I am missing something but when did Netflix start selling movies digitally at a discount? If they aren't doing that what does it have to do with Game pass? The 'what ifs' are just silly man and those comments do far more to promote console wars than pointing out that Game pass is an outstanding value for gamers. If that ever changes then it can be addressed at that time but for now the criticisms are just sour grapes.

Kumomeme

it wont replace buying games. those who think that is the trend that will completely replace the traditional buying system, they are in delusional

the best is it would coexist together with other bussiness model so player and developers has more options. everyone has their preferences, advantages and disadvantages. same goes with streaming when it viable to massive audience later.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The guy clearly has no idea how the film industry works, nothing to do with reality. Joker? That’s a 40 million dollar movie. Quality/budget in no way has been affected by this business model - like I said riskier projects are actually getting funded more often as a result. Things that you would never see on network TV or cable before or theatrically. The Irishman would not have been made without Netflix. Look at Disney plus, Amazon prime, hbo max, any streaming service.
That is until these services run out of money competing with each other and the winner emerges (and even in this hyper competitive landscape prices have been rising a lot already). Just wait when a clear winner emerges and they move to the “Return” part of RoI ;).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So where does the PS5 DE fit in your narrative? Your argument again amounts to a 'what if MS adopts a Netflix style of game distribution". Maybe I am missing something but when did Netflix start selling movies digitally at a discount? If they aren't doing that what does it have to do with Game pass? The 'what ifs' are just silly man and those comments do far more to promote console wars than pointing out that Game pass is an outstanding value for gamers. If that ever changes then it can be addressed at that time but for now the criticisms are just sour grapes.
Sure, sour grapes that must be it. Current GamePass is good value for the money as you currently look at AAA classic MS content and have it included in the subscription, but it is a start, you are willingly naive as it is what MS supports and no matter what it would be you would be support it nonetheless and accuse others of disliking that path and where it can lead as console warriors and hoping it is left at that.

PS5 DE is Sony capitalising on a cheaper to manufacture console and cheaper MSRP to get userbase and score points for having a their next generation HW offering start at $399 without having to split the userbase with a big specs difference between two models. They are taking advantage of people’s willingness to buy digitally (a benefit of people’s growing digital libraries is PS5 BC with PS4 and PS5, same for Xbox). Same thing for Xbox Series S albeit as I said multiple times an all digital Series X for $399 would have been far better.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

It’s not about console warring. PSNow is the same cancer that will eat the industry (more dangerous since it’s in the top selling brand). It’s about a distribution model like Netflix against theaters. COVID already made that war end faster than we though. The more we could stretch this one the better.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Vocal Minority.

Gamepass is doing fine, and is an absolute boon for the industry.
People who say "I like to own my games" then go buy said game digitally I laugh at.
Second if you like a game on Gamepass you can still actually buy the game.....Gamepass doesnt stop you from buying games you like, it just gives you 200+ games to play to aid you decisiion on what to buy.

I actually know a ton of people on Gamepass who dont even have Xbox consoles.
Playstation and PC with Gamepass and they are loving life.
As long as the price of Gamepass doesnt climb much higher Im in this Gamepass world for a long time.....games im really thirsty for ill buy at release....everything else ill probably just play on Gamepass.

Self

I just feel like if gamepass ends up being the dominant way of getting games we would have far less big budget games. The price of gamepass is the same as one mmo subscription and they give you multiple games in gamepass so how does it make money. It feels like a long game to trap. It is nice to have though.

The thing is: I like gamepass and I use it exclusively on my Xbox consoles. I have never bought a physical or digital game on Xbox since gamepass arrived - not one single game. And I can see the problem with that approach in the long run.

On playstation I have at least 100 free games from the PS Plus subscription in my libary, but I still buy games very frequently (often games on sale that is.) But yeah, Sony is getting much more out of me then MS. I certainly prefer the Sony games by a huge margin, but at the same time it's much more expansive for the average consumer.

Both ways are valid and I would like both companies to persue their strategy without intermixing it with each other.

NahaNago

The thing is: I like gamepass and I use it exclusively on my Xbox consoles. I have never bought a physical or digital game on Xbox since gamepass arrived - not one single game. And I can see the problem with that approach in the long run.

On playstation I have at least 100 free games from the PS Plus subscription in my libary, but I still buy games very frequently (often games on sale that is.) But yeah, Sony is getting much more out of me then MS. I certainly prefer the Sony games by a huge margin, but at the same time it's much more expansive for the average consumer.

Both ways are valid and I would like both companies to persue their strategy without intermixing it with each other.
Gamepass will only work in the long run if they get those subscription numbers up by the dozens of millions, especially now that they bought zenimax. Xbox will be in the red pretty much this whole gen which should be worrisome and I can see Phil making some drastic moves late in this gen if he can't get those subscription numbers up. I'm not sure I can call it a valid way until they actually make a profit or crush the competition.

Last edited:
Top Bottom