• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do gamers think it’s bad Gamepass is bad when major developers and some indie developers use Gamepass?

Do you have an issue with Xbox Gamepass (and other services)

• Yes they should all die and go to hell

Votes: 72 26.8%
  • No they should continue to coexist

Votes: 197 73.2%

• Total voters

ZywyPL

Banned
To each their own, for some GP will be a great substitute to traditional gaming, to others an addition to physical/digital distribution, and some won't be interested in it at all.

Self

I'm not sure I can call it a valid way until they actually make a profit or crush the competition.

It is a valid approach like Netflix or Prime are valid approaches. I use them very frequently and can save a lot of money. I'm not delusional, so I don't expect 'Sony AAA-like' quality games. But there is a space for 'AA' games and episodic games which I would like to experience. When I remember correctly MS started this whole Indie hype in the X360 days, so maybe it's a beginning of something new and worthwhile.

Last edited:

Paradicia

OP, you should change your title to Why do some gamers because I've never seen complaints about it. If you are hating on it, you are either a fanboy or downright butthurt. The UI on the PC is questionable and not great, but there is NO denying that it isn't a fantastic deal.

RAIDEN1

During my trial period I am finding I am getting more out of GamePass than I thought: Ace Combat, Forza, Give Us The Moon, Soul Calibur...Ori Will of the Wisp...Mirrors Edge

Last edited:
The idea that GP success will lead to smaller games doesn’t make any sense. It’s the same weird logic as the idea that GP success will lead to worse games. How does MS keep people investing and subscribing by making crappy, smaller games? People aren’t going to pump money into a service with cheaply made crap.

A lot of comparisons to Netflix... but Netflix doesn’t sell every one of their original productions day and date at retail or separately. Every game on GP can be bought outside of the service. So they’re going to make small, bad titles, and then try to sell these crappy games both at retail and as part of a subscription? Makes sense I guess.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's not bad if it has the games you want to play. People who have a compulsive need pay full price to play every new game the moment it is releases or who enjoy paying to own games they're only going to play once won't like it. But luckily game pass doesn't prevent them from being able to buy their games exactly the way they always have.

Last edited:

NahaNago

It is a valid approach like Netflix or Prime are valid approaches. I use them very frequently and can save a lot of money. I'm not delusional, so I don't expect 'Sony AAA-like' quality games. But there is a space for 'AA' games and episodic games which I would like to experience. When I remember correctly MS started this whole Indie hype in the X360 days, so maybe it's a beginning of something new and worthwhile.
Well it at least they have the studios to pad out the first party releases on gamepass now.

FrankWza

If it was so great, the series s would be the hottest tech product to hit in 2020 going into 2021, which we know isn’t the case since it’s not even the most sought after game console. Also would be a much better service with more first party games since those are available day 1. If the glitch wasn’t available it would not sell nearly what it has. Once that is “fixed” it will no longer sell the way it does.

ROMhack

If it was so great, the series s would be the hottest tech product to hit in 2020 going into 2021, which we know isn’t the case since it’s not even the most sought after game console. Also would be a much better service with more first party games since those are available day 1. If the glitch wasn’t available it would not sell nearly what it has. Once that is “fixed” it will no longer sell the way it does.

It is great but not for all gamers or games. For instance, it doesn't suit games as a service games for a start, nor multiplayer-centric experiences. There's no point really using gamepass if that's the main type of game you play (which I gather many do).

Also, there's still a lot of bias by people who prefer Sony to Microsoft (which is fair, I think). I imagine if Sony brought out Gamepass I think it'd be spoken about with much greater enthusiasm. I don't mean that controversially either because Sony's good reputation means they have the power to shift consoles in a way that Microsoft doesn't, hence MS's greater need for it.

Or Nintendo. Bloody hell. Could you imagine how crazy people would go if Nintendo brought out the back catalogue of Gamecube, Wii, Wii U games in a single service? People would be jumping over each other in joy. There would be riots in the streets.

Services like GamePass are good as long as it continues to co-exist with other distributions methods.

If they ever become dominant it will change the entire gaming landscape, more especially how games are designed... and not necessarily for the better. Big budget AAA blockbusters are not sustainable under a subscription service dominated market model.

You're right but I think Gamepass is sort of the endgame of how games have been developed for a while now.

We're at a point where people just want to access games quickly and therefore have a weaker relationship with them. This is reflected most clearly in how physical games have a) moved to relying on digital updates to get them to work properly, b) the lack of extra features (e.g. manuals), and c) the pricing structure and how people often rely on digital deals before they buy.

It's also shown in how ephemeral things are with people being happy to dump a game quickly if it doesn't hold their attention.

The same thing happened with movies and music, albeit those two have now reacted by taking into account enthusiasts who are happy to still buy physical products if they offer things you can't get digitally (e.g. vinyl/blu-rays with tons of extras). I'm not sure if games have an equivalent but maybe it's the, admittedly rather pricey, limited edition bundle sets.

Last edited:
Sure, sour grapes that must be it. Current GamePass is good value for the money as you currently look at AAA classic MS content and have it included in the subscription, but it is a start, you are willingly naive as it is what MS supports and no matter what it would be you would be support it nonetheless and accuse others of disliking that path and where it can lead as console warriors and hoping it is left at that.

PS5 DE is Sony capitalising on a cheaper to manufacture console and cheaper MSRP to get userbase and score points for having a their next generation HW offering start at $399 without having to split the userbase with a big specs difference between two models. They are taking advantage of people’s willingness to buy digitally (a benefit of people’s growing digital libraries is PS5 BC with PS4 and PS5, same for Xbox). Same thing for Xbox Series S albeit as I said multiple times an all digital Series X for $399 would have been far better.
Yes I am 'naive' because I judge Game pass on what it is and not some made up Sony fan fantasy where you 'rent' titles and the first party offerings are all games as a service titles. The funny thing is that is Game pass ends the ability to buy your games, removes day one MS titles, raises the price, and only puts games as a service titles on it how would they retain subs? Who would want a service like that and it's silly to think MS would ever want to move in that direction. No one would continue to support the service 'no matter what' that is what Sony fans do when they are told cloud saves aren't free and you will get no refunds on digital purchases. ;)

The PS5 DE and XSS comments are equally ridiculous. The consoles are no different aside from GPU power. Do you even know what splitting the user base means? You might be unaware but the XSS plays the SAME games as the XSX. There is no split to the gamer. It is an affordable entry way into games. If you are a hard core player who wants higher end graphics there is a product for you. The PS5 DE is the same as the PS5 disc except you have even fewer options to play games and you are now forced to pay whatever Sony charges and you know you won't be seeing that money again if you aren't happy. What a tremendous 'value'. Pity Sony doesn't offer a service as robust as game pass but I did read Jim Ryan is looking into it so I guess we'll see what he comes up with.

So yes it's sour grapes from the usual detractors who spend more time hating the Xbox over enjoy their new amazing PlayStation. It's weird but people will do whatever makes them happy I suppose.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So yes it's sour grapes from the usual detractors who spend more time hating the Xbox over enjoy their new amazing PlayStation. It's weird but people will do whatever makes them happy I suppose.
Sure, whatever helps you sleep better at night. One cannot possibly have snd like their XSX or XSS without disagreeing with a policy or a program or a direction taken by the company I guess. You either help them amplify their PR or you are a Sony fanboy hating the Xbox gotcha 😉.

If you are a hard core player who wants higher end graphics there is a product for you. The PS5 DE is the same as the PS5 disc except you have even fewer options to play games and you are now forced to pay whatever Sony charges and you know you won't be seeing that money again if you aren't happy.
Lovely how PS5 DE gives you less ways to purchase games and forces you to pay whatever Sony forces you to pay, etc.., where XSS has none of the same negative adjectives next to that.

As always with some people Xbox is only good news or hope-springs-eternal attitude, anything else is Xbox hating (and will be discussed at length in a safe space of choice). What a welcoming approach :LOL:.

I suspect MS will release something like XBX Digital Edition and it will be then sold here as the best thing since sliced bread (pretty much how Lockhart news were handled where it was either a game changer or not needed and a stupid Sony fanboy rumour depending on the likelihood of it coming out at all).

PS5 DE gives you quite a good value and for $100 you can play not only exactly the same games but at exactly the same quality (it is the same exact architecture just a lot cheaper) and I would not be surprised if it holds better throughout the generation than XSS as developers push XSX and PS5 more and more and more. Still the XSX and the PS5 with UHD Blu-Ray drive offer the best value for each of their brands, period.

The consoles are no different aside from GPU power. Do you even know what splitting the user base means?
You are right, I had a very poor choice of words using the “split userbase part”, that was obviously incorrect.

Gamepass will only work in the long run if they get those subscription numbers up by the dozens of millions, especially now that they bought zenimax. Xbox will be in the red pretty much this whole gen which should be worrisome and I can see Phil making some drastic moves late in this gen if he can't get those subscription numbers up. I'm not sure I can call it a valid way until they actually make a profit or crush the competition.

You should call Ms and ask for a job, and provide your financial expertise to them.

Last edited:
You're right but I think Gamepass is sort of the endgame of how games have been developed for a while now.

We're at a point where people just want to access games quickly and therefore have a weaker relationship with them. This is reflected most clearly in how physical games have a) moved to relying on digital updates to get them to work properly, b) the lack of extra features (e.g. manuals), and c) the pricing structure and how people often rely on digital deals before they buy.

It's also shown in how ephemeral things are with people being happy to dump a game quickly if it doesn't hold their attention.

The same thing happened with movies and music, albeit those two have now reacted by taking into account enthusiasts who are happy to still buy physical products if they offer things you can't get digitally (e.g. vinyl/blu-rays with tons of extras). I'm not sure if games have an equivalent but maybe it's the, admittedly rather pricey, limited edition bundle sets.
I think this might describe a certain subset of the gamer userbase, but all gamers? Not even close.

FrankWza

It's 10% people who legit hate digital games, and many of them make fair points. The other 90% is salty Sony fanboys who will literally do anything to convince themselves they don't need to buy an Xbox or gaming PC.
It’s not up to the gamer to convince themselves. It’s on Microsoft to convince the gamer to buy their console. Compared to the two other console manufacturers, they fail. They tried to make a $300 console and people still aren’t biting. They tried to lie about power and it didn’t work either. They’re trying to buy studios on a promise of games, still doesn’t work. They have an unadvertised discount on gamepass for $1. Still doesn’t work. It’s an all over the place approach. You’re supposed to approach all. If they’re such a huge company that doesn’t care about money enough to make zeni games multiplat, they should discount both systems to sell their gamepass with “first party “ access. They don’t. Another approach that doesn’t show confidence in their product.

Sure, whatever helps you sleep better at night. One cannot possibly have snd like their XSX or XSS without disagreeing with a policy or a program or a direction taken by the company I guess. You either help them amplify their PR or you are a Sony fanboy hating the Xbox gotcha 😉.

Lovely how PS5 DE gives you less ways to purchase games and forces you to pay whatever Sony forces you to pay, etc.., where XSS has none of the same negative adjectives next to that.

As always with some people Xbox is only good news or hope-springs-eternal attitude, anything else is Xbox hating (and will be discussed at length in a safe space of choice). What a welcoming approach :LOL:.

I suspect MS will release something like XBX Digital Edition and it will be then sold here as the best thing since sliced bread (pretty much how Lockhart news were handled where it was either a game changer or not needed and a stupid Sony fanboy rumour depending on the likelihood of it coming out at all).

PS5 DE gives you quite a good value and for $100 you can play not only exactly the same games but at exactly the same quality (it is the same exact architecture just a lot cheaper) and I would not be surprised if it holds better throughout the generation than XSS as developers push XSX and PS5 more and more and more. Still the XSX and the PS5 with UHD Blu-Ray drive offer the best value for each of their brands, period.

You are right, I had a very poor choice of words using the “split userbase part”, that was obviously incorrect.
I sleep at night pretty great knowing that in this reality Game pass is awesome. In a post apocalyptic alternate universe that Sony fans dreamed up I'd dislike Game pass too. Score one for reality!

The thing with the PS5 DE and XSS that they have the same software delivery system EXCEPT XSS has Game pass as an additional vector to play new games. Sony offers no such service. MS offering a DE version of the XSX only adds to their many offerings.

There is plenty to legitimately criticize MS for. NO ONE loved the TV TV TV thing and people rightly pointed it out. MS shed loads of internal studios and again I could totally understand why people wouldn't like that. People attacking Game pass for everything that it isn't, IS just hating and it is usually from the usual suspects.

It’s not up to the gamer to convince themselves. It’s on Microsoft to convince the gamer to buy their console. Compared to the two other console manufacturers, they fail. They tried to make a $300 console and people still aren’t biting. They tried to lie about power and it didn’t work either. They’re trying to buy studios on a promise of games, still doesn’t work. They have an unadvertised discount on gamepass for $1. Still doesn’t work. It’s an all over the place approach. You’re supposed to approach all. If they’re such a huge company that doesn’t care about money enough to make zeni games multiplat, they should discount both systems to sell their gamepass with “first party “ access. They don’t. Another approach that doesn’t show confidence in their product.

Quick question man. Which has more subs PS Now or Game pass? That should give a good indication of 'fail'.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Tried Gamepass Ultimate (the one that includes Gold) for 2 months.

Yep in the begining is great , all those games avaliable but after a deep review found that 10-12 were the ones I wanted to play. 10 games still are a great deal but in my case the problem is the lack of time , finished 4 games and Gears 4 like half the road.

Returned to basic Gold subscription since my problem is time. The service is good if yoy like most of library and have time. Also every game is not free, is cheap but not free. So unsderstant why a lot of people has Gamepass but its not for all the players.

FrankWza

Quick question man. Which has more subs PS Now or Game pass? That should give a good indication of 'fail'.
My point exactly. If you have a PlayStation your options are far greater. Ps now is a complimentary service. It isn’t meant to sell systems. Gamepass is made out to be a system selling service that is a throw in option on PS.

edit:
And to your point, who has more aaa exclusives ? You don’t want to go there. Quick question, when are you gonna post your fan type on your imaginary PS5?

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
If Series S was the only way to use access game pass you might have a point.

You can access game pass from PC and there are hundreds of millions of PC's in the world. By your logic game pass made PC #1 gaming platform in the world confirmed.

Night.Ninja

Banned
its called concern trolling, you can easily identify salty GamePass detractors when people are raving about how awesome it is and they show up like this:

giphy.gif
This is a classic neogaf post.

Bravo

FrankWza

You can access game pass from PC and there are hundreds of millions of PC's in the world. By your logic game pass made PC #1 gaming platform in the world confirmed.
But it’s a potential Trojan horse, PC isn’t. It requires a bit more tech savvy and cost much more than $299. And I don’t even know if you can do the $1 upgrade on pc. Either way, it’s still a better bet than anything else because it’s a casual machine.

Last edited:
Gamepass is a great way to play short one-and-done titles and also a great way to try a game without committing $60 blindly. Generally if I really enjoy a game I'll buy it, unless it's short and I have no reason to replay it. There are a lot of 5-10 hour long games that you can play then move on from on the service. For longer games that I see myself going back to over an over I still buy them, I've added dozens of games to my library in the last year, many of which are available on Gamepass.

I spent around $7 to rent single NES games for a weekend. I spent $7 to rent SNES games for a weekend. I spent $8 to rent N64/PS1 games for a weekend. Until the Blockbuster or my local rental place stopped renting games, I rented games. This is a much cheaper version of that, but I pay for access to a huge library. The fact that all the 1st party titles are available from the start is an added bonus.

I don’t even know
Yet you post anyways.

FrankWza

I sleep at night pretty great knowing that in this reality Game pass is awesome. In a post apocalyptic alternate universe that Sony fans dreamed up I'd dislike Game pass too. Score one for reality!

The thing with the PS5 DE and XSS that they have the same software delivery system EXCECPT XSS has Game pass as an additional vector to play new games. Sony offers no such service. MS offering a DE version of the XSX only adds to their many offerings.

There is plenty to legitimately criticize MS for. NO ONE loved the TV TV TV thing and people rightly pointed it out. MS shed loads of internal studios and again I could totally understand why people wouldn't like that. People attacking Game pass for everything that it isn't, IS just hating and it is usually from the usual suspects.

Gamepass is a great way to play short one-and-done titles and also a great way to try a game without committing $60 blindly. Generally if I really enjoy a game I'll buy it, unless it's short and I have no reason to replay it. There are a lot of 5-10 hour long games that you can play then move on from on the service. For longer games that I see myself going back to over an over I still buy them, I've added dozens of games to my library in the last year, many of which are available on Gamepass.

I spent around $7 to rent single NES games for a weekend. I spent $7 to rent SNES games for a weekend. I spent $8 to rent N64/PS1 games for a weekend. Until the Blockbuster or my local rental place stopped renting games, I rented games. This is a much cheaper version of that, but I pay for access to a huge library. The fact that all the 1st party titles are available from the start is an added bonus.

Yet you post anyways.
Ok, so this makes it pretty clear. pS now has a bit over 2 million subscribers. gamepass is at 15 million and they had a huge bump since April which was probably from the lockdown. But gamepass is $1. If ps now was $1 I wonder how quick they’d be at 15 million. That’s a poor showing @$1. Theres over 125 million ps systems that can access ps now. If it was $1 there would be at least 25 million subscribers.

My point exactly. If you have a PlayStation your options are far greater. Ps now is a complimentary service. It isn’t meant to sell systems. Gamepass is made out to be a system selling service that is a throw in option on PS.

edit:
And to your point, who has more aaa exclusives ? You don’t want to go there. Quick question, when are you gonna post your fan type on your imaginary PS5?
The quality of a title is subjective and if you don't care for single player, story driven, third person games PS doesn't offer much. I am not interested in proving that I have a PS5 to you. My PS5 is more real than your Xbox.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gamepass comes with an attitude there’s talk of SONY matching them with their own Gamepass.

FrankWza

The quality of a title is subjective and if you don't care for single player, story driven, third person games PS doesn't offer much. I am not interested in proving that I have a PS5 to you. My PS5 is more real than your Xbox.
You brought PS into the conversation though....and again, a sour commentary on a system you supposedly own. You either have the worst case of buyers remorse or you’ve invented your own story driven game about you owning both systems so you can try to talk bad about ps and not appear bias. That’s a strange and sad game. It’s a new genre that’s been catching on quick around these parts.

You brought PS into the conversation though....and again, a sour commentary on a system you supposedly own. You either have the worst case of buyers remorse or you’ve invented your own story driven game about you owning both systems so you can try to talk bad about ps and not appear bias. That’s a strange and sad game. It’s a new genre that’s been catching on quick around these parts.
But that's the thing if I say ANYTHING about PS5 it's from first hand experience. I know because I own one. I have an XSX and Game pass I know their value. Can you say the same about the Game pass or the Xbox? For the record I think the PS5 is a fine system with good games.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I will continue to buy my games, but I also use GamePass. I just treat it like a rental subscription that has a lot of value. The only games that I might be done buying are 1st part MSFT games, because they appear to be permanently on GP for as long a the service exists. If ever they raise the price or I feel the value doesn't justify the price, I'll start buying those 1st party games again.

FrankWza

What Xbox platform do you play Game pass on?
You need an Xbox to use gamepass? Didn’t I see 25 posts about how you can get it on pc? You need an Xbox to know the games that are available on it? Aren’t 90% of the games multiplat. I’ve played halo and gears of war. Is gamepass Xbox Or is it a feature? Are you saying that without gamepass, there’s no reason to own an Xbox?

You need an Xbox to use gamepass? Didn’t I see 25 posts about how you can get it on pc? You need an Xbox to know the games that are available on it? Aren’t 90% of the games multiplat. I’ve played halo and gears of war. Is gamepass Xbox Or is it a feature? Are you saying that without gamepass, there’s no reason to own an Xbox?
Game pass is a little different on PC than console but Xbox is a platform on both. https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass?xr=shellnav
The official name is Xbox Game Pass. Whether you play on PC or console it doesn't matter. Game pass is an additional reason to own an Xbox but any personal reason is subjective.

When you see some people saying that Gamepass detractors mostly consist of Salty Playstation fanboys.... You're the reason they say that. You're the example that proves them right.

Of course not everyone critical of Gamepass is such. While I believe their opinion to be misguided... Some are genuinely concerned about the subscription model as a whole, and the part Gamepass plays in it. While I can agree or disagree, it's a valid argument either way.

Your points however, have no such validity. You claim the purpose of Gamepass is simply to sell consoles, yet it's available on pc. You claim the PS5 has more options, as PSNow is a complimentary service, with absolutely nothing even considered remotely valid to support that. You claim Gamepass is a failure with 15 million subs, while suggesting PSNow a success at 2 million. You simply wave away those 15 million subs, dismissing them as being the result of a $1 "glitch" that apparently MS can't seem to fix. You then further claim that if given the same pricepoint for PSNow... That with a userbase of 125 million consoles, that PSNow subs would easily surpass those of Gamepass.

Absolutely none of your points have even a shred of merit, or even based in reality. Instead of voicing potential downsides of Gamepass, you've pivoted your entire argument to one that consists of nothing more than... Gamepass is bad because Sony sold more consoles. When people point out your obviously flawed arguments, you quickly resort to accusing them of being fanboys lying about what box they own.

There's a village somewhere that's sorely missing you.

Last edited:

FrankWza

When you see some people saying that Gamepass detractors mostly consist of Salty Playstation fanboys.... You're the reason they say that. You're the example that proves them right.

Of course not everyone critical of Gamepass is such. While I believe their opinion to be misguided... Some are genuinely concerned about the subscription model as a whole, and the part Gamepass plays in it. While I can agree or disagree, it's a valid argument either way.

Your points however, have no such validity. You claim the purpose of Gamepass is simply to sell consoles, yet it's available on pc. You claim the PS5 has more options, as PSNow is a complimentary service, with absolutely nothing even considered remotely valid to support that. You claim Gamepass is a failure with 15 million subs, while suggesting PSNow a success at 2 million. You simply wave away those 15 million subs, dismissing them as being the result of a $1 "glitch" that apparently MS can't seem to fix. You then further claim that if given the same pricepoint for PSNow... That with a userbase of 125 million consoles, that PSNow subs would easily surpass those of Gamepass.

Absolutely none of your points have even a shred of merit, or even based in reality. Instead of voicing potential downsides of Gamepass, you've pivoted your entire argument to one that consists of nothing more than... Gamepass is bad because Sony sold more consoles. When people point out your obviously flawed arguments, you quickly resort to accusing them of being fanboys lying about what box they own.

There's a village somewhere that's sorely missing you.
This entire inaccurate post is worse than you know. Because I didn’t bring PS or ps now into this thread or conversation. Some people have little brother syndrome. The thread mentions good or bad. As I said in my original post, If it was so amazing it would be moving consoles. It is THE major draw for xbox right now, today. That’s the narrative. If it’s the reason to be in the Xbox infrastructure and the series s exists to be a minimum entry point to this service then people should be falling over themselves to get a series s. That was my point before little bro entered with PS talk.

edit:
Maybe read again. Because my points gave merit. Put ps now at $1 for ps plus subscribers and watch 25-50 million subs

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
if you don't care for single player, story driven, third person games PS doesn't offer much
Really?! Sure, as if they did not have shooter franchises, one of the leading racing game series, etc... too (with a strong multiplayer component to boot).

I really like how you can simply dismiss tons and tons of games like that as if you were taking about a couple of games here and there :rolleyes:.

Again...

“Beside <insert a huge variety of different games and genres> what has Sony really given us? Not much”

Last edited:

Jokerevo

Banned
Yeah 2 absolutely pointless options there.

Gamepass means less money to devs, means less chance of them recouping their investment, it also promotes the instant fail scenario whereby because you never paid for the game you're not invested in it and can dispose of it for any reason. I could easily abuse gamepass but I'd rather give something back by actually purchasing the game I want, besides I'm gonna sell it on anyway.

Really?! Sure, as if they did not have shooter franchises, one of the leading racing game series, etc... too (with a strong multiplayer component to boot).

I really like how you can simply dismiss tons and tons of games like that as if you were taking about a couple of games here and there :rolleyes:.

Again...

“Beside <insert a huge variety of different games and genres> what has Sony really given us? Not much”

The highest rated, best selling, titles made by Sony are 3rd person, single player, story driven games. Those titles are really the main reason why people gravitate to the platform. If you are not a fan of those titles there isn't a major compelling reason to play games there. Those games are good but Sony is a bit of a one trick pony. It is a great trick though no doubt but variety isn't their strong suit.

I am a Sony fan. I have 0 issues with it. I just don't like renting, I like owning.
It's a good thing you can buy any titles you want at a discount. Game pass is not a rental service Netflix is.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I always figured it was fanboys against Xbox and all things Microsoft. But who knows?

I figured if you're one of the types that wants to ONLY own your games, well okay then, that's understandable. It's just not for you. But there are people that wouldn't mind a service like Game Pass, while ALSO purchasing games. I think it's a really cool service, and I look forward to seeing where it goes.

I thought it was interesting that people were treating it like a service that wasn't properly paying developers and publishers. As if the developers and publishers didn't give the okay for their titles to be on there.

iHaunter

The highest rated, best selling, titles made by Sony are 3rd person, single player, story driven games. Those titles are really the main reason why people gravitate to the platform. If you are not a fan of those titles there isn't a major compelling reason to play games there. Those games are good but Sony is a bit of a one trick pony. It is a great trick though no doubt but variety isn't their strong suit.

It's a good thing you can buy any titles you want at a discount. Game pass is not a rental service Netflix is.
I had a look at their library, my buddy has GamePass. Wasn't impressed, to be honest.

I had it on one point on PC. I don't play games enough to justify it.

Last edited:
This entire inaccurate post is worse than you know. Because I didn’t bring PS or ps now into this thread or conversation. Some people have little brother syndrome. The thread mentions good or bad. As I said in my original post, If it was so amazing it would be moving consoles. It is THE major draw for xbox right now, today. That’s the narrative. If it’s the reason to be in the Xbox infrastructure and the series s exists to be a minimum entry point to this service then people should be falling over themselves to get a series s. That was my point before little bro entered with PS talk.

edit:
Maybe read again. Because my points gave merit. Put ps now at $1 for ps plus subscribers and watch 25-50 million subs
Gamepass is available on pc. Claim whatever diagnosis you like... That simple fact renders your first point moot.

Ya see. When your whole premise consists of so many of your points starting with the word "if"... That's a sign that your premise is most likely a bit.... how should I describe it? Ah, shit.

It's not up to consumers to put PSNow at $1. That's Sony's job to do. In order to increase it's value and get more subs. You say 25-50 million subs, I say they'd get 4-6 subs. Seeing as we're both guessing, it's irrelevant. What is relevant however, is that of that massive 125 million userbase you boast about... Is that a mere 2 million are on PSNow. In reality. The real world in which we actually exist and occupy. That's a flat out fail. Maybe your points would have merit if we existed in that other universe you refer to. I wouldn't know, because we're here in this one where unfortunately for you.... It is indeed a fail.

Both to amuse you, as well to just be sure I did indeed read again. Expectedly, merit failed to show itself.

Chukhopops

Gamepass means less money to devs, means less chance of them recouping their investment,
I don’t think you understand how it works, for games created for GP or first party games MS pays the development cost upfront - the chance of the dev recouping their investment is 100% basically.

I actually believe it’s one of the great things about it, it promotes devs trying to innovate instead of going for safe, established franchise options because they HAVE to sell or they die.

I guess you could argue that it also removes the possibility of a dev making a hugely successful game and making bank all of a sudden, but for most devs I think stability and pre-financing is more worth it.

The rest of your post is more of a personal opinion so I respect that of course.

DJ12

I dont like gamepass as you pay a sub and still have to pay for any dlc, for a game you don't own.

Ea and ubi both give you the best version as part of the sub.

I don't expect it on every game on gamepass, but all Ms games should.

I had a look at their library, my buddy has GamePass. Wasn't impressed, to be honest.

I had it on one point on PC. I don't play games enough to justify it.
Of course that is your prerogative. I just disagree that is a rental service. No one said you or any one has to sign up only that it is the best value for games out there. There isn't a better option.

FrankWza

Gamepass is available on pc. Claim whatever diagnosis you like... That simple fact renders your first point moot.

Ya see. When your whole premise consists of so many of your points starting with the word "if"... That's a sign that your premise is most likely a bit.... how should I describe it? Ah, shit.

It's not up to consumers to put PSNow at $1. That's Sony's job to do. In order to increase it's value and get more subs. You say 25-50 million subs, I say they'd get 4-6 subs. Seeing as we're both guessing, it's irrelevant. What is relevant however, is that of that massive 125 million userbase you boast about... Is that a mere 2 million are on PSNow. In reality. The real world in which we actually exist and occupy. That's a flat out fail. Maybe your points would have merit if we existed in that other universe you refer to. I wouldn't know, because we're here in this one where unfortunately for you.... It is indeed a fail.

Both to amuse you, as well to just be sure I did indeed read again. Expectedly, merit failed to show itself.
Sony doesn’t need to discount ps now because, again, it’s not their focus. They attract customers by innovation and creating exclusive entertainment and they’ve done it consistently and often enough. MS needs to sell gamepass. They’ve pretty much come out and said that is their focus. Forget PC unless you can get a PC that can play all the gamepass games for $300? they made the series s to sell gamepass. They assumed people would be falling all over themselves to get into their service. It’s not gonna happen. Ps now is $9-$20 a month. Again, put it at $1 and 25 million subs happen within 12 months. The reason ms sold 15 million subs is because it’s $1 and you pretty much have to have it in order to get use out of your console. They’re starving for you to have it. Basically giving it away. It’s a great deal at $1 for people, especially casual gamers or people on a budget. And yet, it’s only at 15 million subs with a Trojan horse system that is hindering their most powerful system.

again,
This happened in this universe:
They tried to make a $300 console to sell gamepass and people still aren’t biting. They tried to lie about power and it didn’t work either. They’re trying to buy studios on a promise of games, still doesn’t work. They have an unadvertised discount on gamepass for $1. Still doesn’t work. It’s an all over the place approach. You’re supposed to approach all. If they’re such a huge company that doesn’t care about money enough to make zeni games multiplat, they should discount both systems to sell their gamepass with “first party “ access. They don’t. Another approach that doesn’t show confidence in their product.

Rental with the option to buy individual games is still rental. That kind of argument cannot be taken seriously.
Nope. The fact that you can buy any titles on the service is the opposite of what renting is. Again see Netflix if you are looking for a rental service. Just try and buy any of the movies they offer from them.

Top Bottom