• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do gamers think it’s bad Gamepass is bad when major developers and some indie developers use Gamepass?

Do you have an issue with Xbox Gamepass (and other services)

• Yes they should all die and go to hell

Votes: 72 26.8%
  • No they should continue to coexist

Votes: 197 73.2%

• Total voters

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah it will. 2-3 years. We said that already.
the point here, if you go back and read, I didn’t bring up ps. Someone else did.

but don’t change the subject. Which is, if I get an Xbox right now I can prepay gold(required to play online?) and get 3 years of gamepass for $1
ok

Yeah it will. 2-3 years. We said that already.
the point here, if you go back and read, I didn’t bring up ps. Someone else did.

but don’t change the subject. Which is, if I get an Xbox right now I can prepay gold(required to play online?) and get 3 years of gamepass for $1

LOL. Are sony fans this bad a maths or are you purposely trolling.

If you have to buy xbox live for Three years, and then do the conversion trick for $1, then you have to take into account buying gold in the first place.

FrankWza

If you have to buy xbox live for Three years, and then do the conversion trick for $1, then you have to take into account buying gold in the first place.
This has nothing to do with liking Sony. The assumption is, you’re getting gold with your Xbox. There’s 90 million gold subscribers according to Microsoft. The attach rate of gold subs to consoles is huge. Not having gold with gamepass changes gamepass value because you’re not replaying gears or halo campaign, you’re playing those kinds of games online. So it’s $5 a month for 3 years for 2 services if that makes you feel better. This came up because the guy with little brother-itis brought up ps now and how it only has 2 million subs. I personally don’t have ps now, but if I could get 3 years for $1 I would and so would everyone else that knows they’re getting ps plus. So that 2 million subs will have a huge jump. It’s a known loophole that hasn’t closed because it helps Microsoft pad their numbers.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This has nothing to do with liking Sony. The assumption is, you’re getting gold with your Xbox. There’s 90 million gold subscribers according to Microsoft. The attach rate of gold subs to consoles is huge. Not having gold with gamepass changes gamepass value because you’re not replaying gears or halo campaign, you’re playing those kinds of games online. So it’s $5 a month for 3 years for 2 services if that makes you feel better. This came up because the guy with little brother-itis brought up ps now and how it only has 2 million subs. I personally don’t have ps now, but if I could get 3 years for $1 I would and so would everyone else that knows they’re getting ps plus. So that 2 million subs will have a huge jump. It’s a known loophole that hasn’t closed because it helps Microsoft pad their numbers.

Again. Factually incorrect.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
A pattern is certainly emerging.

giphy.gif

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Gamepass for $1. It’s out there. Go and find it. Or don’t and keep paying the $10 a month on top of gold. It’s not going anywhere. Microsoft isn’t closing the loophole because they have to pad those numbers
So you can't prove any of your claims. Game Pass for $1. Microsoft Gold Subscription numbers. 90% of xbox users have gold. Etc Etc.

Still waiting for you to back up your series S claims as well, which you bailed out on a ban bet, but to no ones shock you have zero proof.

FrankWza

So you can't prove any of your claims. Game Pass for $1. Microsoft Gold Subscription numbers. 90% of xbox users have gold. Etc Etc.

Still waiting for you to back up your series S claims as well, which you bailed out on a ban bet, but to no ones shock you have zero proof.
I can. I have. $1 for gamepass.
And I didn’t bail. You bailed when you wouldn’t put your money where your mouth is because you didn’t want to pay for OPs console when the series s gets discontinued so you moved the conversation to a different thread so op couldn’t see it. Just like you’re doing in this post. It wasn’t a ban bet, it was a ban against you paying the op of that thread for wasting money on an s. You were pretending to have inside information about what Microsoft is going to do 3 years from now hahahahaha. Bottom line again. You can get gamepass for 3 years for $1. Gamepass ultimate $5 a month for 3 years. All through a loophole that Microsoft won’t close because it pads their gamepass sun numbers.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
And I didn’t bail. You bailed when you wouldn’t put your money where your mouth is because you didn’t want to pay for OPs console when the series s gets discontinued so you moved the conversation to a different thread so op couldn’t see it. Just like you’re doing in this post. It wasn’t a ban bet, it was a ban against you paying the op of that thread for wasting money on an s. You were pretending to have inside information about what Microsoft is going to do 3 years from now hahahahaha. Bottom line again. You can get gamepass for 3 years for $1. Gamepass ultimate $5 a month for 3 years. All through a loophole that Microsoft won’t close because it pads their gamepass sun numbers.

I moved it because it was OT, which is what you are supposed to do as it was OT. I agreed to pay for OP difference just as you stated. You said you would take the ban. But then you also tried to change it from 2 years to 3.

So now its gamepass for 3 years for $1. And ultimate for $5 a month for 3 years? Quite different to what you have been saying. Its almost like you know you are being purposefully obtuse and dishonest and then as facts start to come into play you story changes to somewhat twisted versions of the truth. Weird how that works.

But as others have stated this is pointless as you never respond with facts and refuse to read and comprehend what is in from of you when others provide facts.

Have a good day and I will remove myself from this conversation.

Last edited:
Son, just stop. You've proven you can't do math and you've proven you don't know when to stop. Stop embarrassing yourself.

FrankWza

You still forgot the 150$ worth of Xbox Live for three years. If you leave that out, then your "calculation" of 1$ for three years is correct.
It’s $180 but that’s ok.
Earlier I said it was $1 a month and I made a HUGE mistake. It’s actually waaaaaay cheaper. It’s 3 cents a month. .03

Click on the link above your post. Read it and weep. Hahahaha

It’s $180 but that’s ok.
Earlier I said it was $1 a month and I made a HUGE mistake. It’s actually waaaaaay cheaper. It’s 3 cents a month. .03
Remember the link I was supposed to read? Says 48$ per year of live right there. I know that's a black friday deal, but anyone as cheap as you probably can wait for a deal like that to come around again.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
As this topic quieted down there was a MS survey sent out about Xbox and there were quite a lot of Game Pass related questions (including why would you purchase a game instead of playing it on a Game Pass).

Last edited:
Here's the problem with it. For an adult gamer with limited time, I don't get much time to play. I own 100s of games I will play one and put it down maybe play something else. Game pass is fine for first party, but 3rd party games are there for a limited time. So what good is it if you get it for a few games and then it's gone in a month. Might as well buy it at that point. At least things like psplus or games with gold you get to keep the games as long as you are a member, not so with game pass. I remeber watching a movie on Netflix and had to go do something else. I came back the next day it was gone. I had to rent it somewhere else just for 30min that I missed. Not a fan.

I am guessing many game pass evangelizers also are fine renting their couch at rent a center.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It’s $180 but that’s ok.

It's actually more like $105 for 3 years if you know what you're doing, but it's still $105, not $1. You have to buy the Gold, it doesn't matter if someone was already paying it, some people weren't. And it's not "90% of Xbox owners" that use Live, it's 90m users across all Xbox generations and PC together, which is incalculable given what limited data MS give us. It's like when people that claim that PS+ games are "free" even though you're paying a monthly subscription to access them.

Still, it's a ridiculously good deal if you know how to do it properly. The $1 offer (well, £1 to me) also says it's ending in 11 days, so keep an eye out to see if they close the loophole.

Tmack

If you already getting gold anyways, gamepass cost your 1$. Period. That`s math.

You saying that a car whell doesnt cost 50$ because you have to own a car in the first place, so the whell cost your 20,050.00 .... +_+

JackMcGunns

At one point, Netflix/Vudu, etc. streaming was argued to be bad. Argument ranged from internet speeds not enough for high quality HD (Discs preferred) to a future of water down movies and series.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
If you already getting gold anyways, gamepass cost your 1$. Period. That`s math.

You saying that a car whell doesnt cost 50$ because you have to own a car in the first place, so the whell cost your 20,050.00 .... +_+
Dj Khaled GIF by Music Choice

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I wonder if GamePass will be the same price in 2023. How much longer can MS keep burning through cash before shareholders demand results from it 🤔.
It's probably seen as a part of xbox as a whole. Every single piece of product is probably not being seen individually from shareholders.

If that was the case then the Vita would be dead long before it was actually delclared dead, and shareholders would have been mad AF.

OP, you should change your title to Why do some gamers because I've never seen complaints about it. If you are hating on it, you are either a fanboy or downright butthurt. The UI on the PC is questionable and not great, but there is NO denying that it isn't a fantastic deal.

Try reading some of the replies in here.

Last edited:

evanft

I have GP on my PC. I enjoy it. I always pick up cheap GPU cards around Black Friday so my cost per month is typically only around $6 or so.

RaySoft

I’ve always wondered why do people have an issue with Xbox Gamepass and other services like PlayStation Now (I mentioned PlayStation because some have issues with that but that’s a different topic). I don’t understand why people have an issue with the services, the way I see it if people are having issues with it I would look at major developers and indie developers, if I don’t see major backlash against Xbox Gamepass (and other services) then I think Xbox Gamepass is working fine.....for now. For me it’s an amazing service to have especially when money is tight....now you might not be able to play the latest biggest games but it’s a service that can give you options to play with.

Again the way I see it if I don’t see major developers along with indie developers complaining enough about where the backlash out of everything gaming plays out then why just why do some gamers find an issue with these services? You are not being held a gun to your head and forced to use it and games are still being sold on storefronts and that’s not something that will go away for at least 2 to 3 generations long and long time in gaming years.

So my question to you guys are do you have an issue with it and why?
First off, I think it's a disservice to GamePass mentioning PSNow in the same breath;-)
With streaming services I think the meta's are right, it's too immature. Yet.
Still, everyone knows it's the inevitable future. I guess the human spieces need something to cling on to (hence religion etc) But some of that is lost if a controller is all you are left with, in spite of all your fanboy-ism. And what do we humans fear most of all? (Ok, maybe third to public speaking and death itself (ref. Seinfeld)) Change.
We all hate giving up control, and I guess most ppl think like that regarding streaming services. (rightly so)

Regarding game pass, I think some are worried it will turn games into "lollipops". Although I must praise the service, I also feel the "unease" of it all.
No matter how you see it we are on this journey together, we can only vote with our wallet's and hope for the best.

JackMcGunns

The watered downed movies and series and low quality content masking as 4k is already here lol

At the time we were talking 1080p when most Netflix content wasn't even on par with that. As time passes and bandwidth goes up and compression techniques become more efficient, just like 1080p is a viable streaming option, 4K will be fine as well when the successor of .h265 releases and 8K becomes a thing. But when I spoke about watered down content, I'm talking the loss of high production value on streaming platforms, but Game of Thrones, The Mandalorian, Netflix original series say hi.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Would be very interesting if Microsoft coordinated with Sony and released Xbox GamePass on the PS5.

Considering MS view GamePass as platform agnostic and let's face it they are way more interested in subscribers than console sales, it would be an interesting way to attract PlayStation users into their ecosystem.

Although saying that, titles are running better on PlayStation 5, so it would probably do more harm than good for their reputation.

Except you don't keep your old car wheel if you get the new one for 1$. This is more like a trade-in you idiot.

DaGwaphics

It's hard to believe there are people that think there could be more XBL subscribers than consoles, like WTF.

What reason could there be to have more than one account per console. LOL In the gen1/360 era this was a thing, but not since the X1 launched.

FrankWza

Except you don't keep your old car wheel if you get the new one for 1$. This is more like a trade-in you idiot.
The problem is, they are too secretive about their gold numbers and were secretive about gamepass numbers until they had that big jump. If we knew for sure what the attach rate is, we would know what the real number of gamepass users is at $10 or $15 or whatever the price is when bundled vs how many are subscribed at $1 for 3 years. I don’t see many people having an Xbox without gold. Also, having gamepass without gold is devaluing gamepass games that are short campaign and mostly online multiplayer. Again, Microsoft only seems to pull back the curtain when it benefits them. They didn’t reach 10 million gamepass subs for 3 years and then went from 10 to 15 million in 6 months. All of this happened when the loophole opened. It’s been over a year now.

FrankWza

It's hard to believe there are people that think there could be more XBL subscribers than consoles, like WTF.
Could it be that second accounts are being made to take advantage of the $1 trials? They claimed their are 90 million live users. I guess that’s not gold, just live? Another case of confusing names and designation that can be misinterpreted.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I think there's a cognitive dissonance when I see a bunch of old / mediocre new / indie slop being advertised as a "get" for game pass, but developers and publishers asking to raise the price of games.
That's like making a movie and sending it straight to the Walmart $5 bin, I'm not going to dig around like a pig because I already know it's going to be meh.

Last edited:

Tmack

Who said anything about new car? I`m talking about incremental value, getting something on top of another you already have.

The incremental value of gamepass to active xbox users is, on average, very cheap, because most of them already have gold.

It`s not like gamepass is generating 15 million X gamepass face value of revenue. It`s not.

zoeyfan69

Banned
I don't think it's bad for the industry, but I don't buy it because I take a while to actually finish games and I'd rather not live in fear of them being removed constantly. I already have like 250 games on steam, 240 of which I have yet to actually finish, so it's not really for me.

Top Bottom