• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people prefer to use group chat vs in-game team chat during online games?

Granted the XSX is my first Xbox but I believe I noticed this trend on ps4 too.

I’ll be playing Overwatch, find some people that are decent and agree to group up with them, then one of them will create a group chat through the Xbox and use that over the in-game chat feature.

I believe with this we lose the ability to chat with non party members in the game, right? And I can no longer hear them? Maybe I’m missing something but this sorta seems like a big disadvantage in team based games like Overwatch.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You can also chat during loading screens, which helps a lot in games like GTA Online with their crazy loadtimes.

Tschumi

Well, i don't play these games so i don't know, but people have been complaining about smarmy 12 year olds for about a decade now so at long last i guess people are choosing to stick clear of their laserlike vision for trollable material.

6WjQ.gif

FrankWza

Granted the XSX is my first Xbox but I believe I noticed this trend on ps4 too.

I’ll be playing Overwatch, find some people that are decent and agree to group up with them, then one of them will create a group chat through the Xbox and use that over the in-game chat feature.

I believe with this we lose the ability to chat with non party members in the game, right? And I can no longer hear them? Maybe I’m missing something but this sorta seems like a big disadvantage in team based games like Overwatch.
It’s dumb. I don’t get it either. IMO, the worst thing they ever did was not keep PTT style chat in games as well. People don’t want to hear a bunch of people screaming and being obnoxious.

Fbh

Because I play multiplayer casually enough that most of my chat is like 30% the game, 70% just talking and catching up with friends so I don't want randoms in the conversation. If it's a more competitive game I exclusively play with people I know.

Also, from my experience like 70% of people on public voice are:
-Annoying kids
- Hyper aggressive people
-Some dude blasting shitty music
- Someone who I guess forgot has the mic on and is talking to someone else (or we get to hear everything happening in their house).

EDIT: Ok didn't read the OP.
I guess to exclusively talk to the people they think are decent and cut out the ones I mentioned above?

Last edited:
When I was young, I crave chatting with random players. Now that I’m grown and be super exhausted from work, I don’t want to be talking to anyone especially any kids or racist animals

Moogle11

Banned
You're asking why people go out of their way to avoid having to talk with random strangers on the Internet? Seems pretty obvious, no?
This. I lost interest in hearing or talking to randos in games years ago. I also don't play any competitive team based stuff that requires communication and any online gaming is solo modes or co-op stuff like Borderlands with real life friends. If I had any interest in competitive team based stuff like Overwatch I'd put in the effort to finding decent people to play with that I didnt mind chatting with (people on forums etc.) if I didn't have enough real life friends to form a team. Just zero interest in chatting with random folks in games.

Last edited:

Jeeves

This doesn’t really apply. I’m a random stranger and they’re going out of their way to invite me via group chat.
I missed the part where you're not in a group of your friends. That's kind of weird, but I think my answer can still apply since you at least played with these people enough for them to make the assumption that you aren't obnoxious.

When I'm playing Overwatch on PC, if a rando starts talking on team voice chat...8/10 times they're annoying as fuck and not trying to be helpful.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Game chat has the potential for really interesting gameplay mechanics. High five my Splinter Cell dudes.

Group chat sucks.

I missed the part where you're not in a group of your friends. That's kind of weird, but I think my answer can still apply since you at least played with these people enough for them to make the assumption that you aren't obnoxious.

When I'm playing Overwatch on PC, if a rando starts talking on team voice chat...8/10 times they're annoying as fuck and not trying to be helpful.
Quick play has been hit or miss for me, but ranked tends to have higher quality people on mic.

the game is actually much more difficult without chat. Being able to coordinate cool downs, ults, etc. makes a big difference.

Last edited:

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Sound quality of a private chat is better. Also I hate having to listen to kids whose voice hasn't changed yet. Not only the words, but the sound itself.
I don't play many games with lobbies like that anymore, but even in MMOs I tend to stick to group chat over open/proximity chat. Because me and my friends have been known to say some pretty bad stuff too. It's safer for everyone this way.

Usually we have friends playing different games and squad(s) playing together all in the one chat. We want to be able to chat across games, screens and generally block out random idiots/young kids. If I play solo then I'll stay in game chat and still be picky about who I chat with though.

J-Roderton

If I ever use a mic it’s because I’m playing with family or close friend and I like having a conversation while we play. I’m sure no one else in the lobby cares what I’ve been up to or what movies I’ve seen lately.

if i'm playing alone or with maybe one other, i agree with you. otherwise a party chat ensures i'm only talking to like minded people and don't have to do with hot mics, screaming people, people playing music, kids, snowflakes, toxic people, and is generally more fun keeping it only to my friends. Technically speaking, i strongly feel like xbox party chat is higher quality than game chat. sounds way better than when im in cod game chat imo.

Bridges

Specifically in Call of Duty, Xbox Party Chat sounds substantially better than the in-game chat (even with the dumb voice filter settings turned off), unless we're playing with friends on other platforms or deliberately trying to talk shit to the other team than the quality boost is worth it.

In most other games, I barely ever hear anyone else in game chat if I'm not already in a party, so without some brave soul making the first move I'm not going to carry on a conversation with my friend(s) outside of a party just so randoms can hear it.

Top Bottom