• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people today have bad tastes in gaming?

Guilty_AI

kSdIm5p.jpg
Play what you want to play and stop condemning people for their taste, funny thing is Japan have some of THE worst taste in games if you go by what's popular over there, but i guess the grass is always greener on the other side.
I get the joke here, but honestly this image was pretty poorly made.
Like, for example, most people i know that prefer jp games to western have none of these titles as their favorites. In fact even loathe some of them. Kingdom Hearts in particular gets a lot of shit, deservingly.

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
Can we disagree with the OP without being enormous douchebags about it? The guy puts himself out there and makes a gaming opinion thread (for better or worse) and gets hammered with personal insults. Don't wonder why more people don't start gaming threads here when this happens. Playfully mocking and teasing is one thing, being a mean spirited jerk is another. (Please react to this post with triggered emojis and quote me and tell me what an idiot I am, thanks.)

Last edited:
It is not about creating controversy.

Simply previously, videogames had and still have many very interesting stories and topics.

What I don't understand at the moment is the trend of games that are garbage are more popular.

I will give an example

or

Very excellent games and with too good gameplay.

But people like this piece of shit.

or Games with excellent Story

and people prefer crap like this

or shit like this.

or Worst case

Gamers enjoy games like

and people "Gamer" play this shit

and the final worst thing

and prefer this piece of shit

"Why do gamers have different tastes in games than I do?" ....there you go, I fixed the thread title for you.

Last edited:

bit_blaster

Neo Member
lol i remember when I considered hack n slash or beat em ups the height of casual shit since it just required mashing one button to do the same combos on hordes of dumb AI.

Stuff like Among Us or w/e is just the result of gaming being more mainstream than ever.

Simply previously, videogames had and still have many very interesting stories and topics.

What I don't understand at the moment is the trend of games that are garbage are more popular.

I will give an example

or

Very excellent games and with too good gameplay.

But people like this piece of shit.

or Games with excellent Story

and people prefer crap like this

or shit like this.

or Worst case

Gamers enjoy games like

and people "Gamer" play this shit

and the final worst thing

and prefer this piece of shit

Sadly, the same thing can be said for MUSIC, movies and other forms of entertainment. I honestly feel that people follow trends, what their friends are supposedly enjoying and what’s popular over what’s quality. Sure, people like different things and have unique perspectives or tastes, but I truly think most follow popular things to feel like they fit in.

Last edited:
One of the worst takes on a subjective topic on Gaf in a while. This thread will be a good laugh, pls no mod delete or lock this.

there is no bad taste. just different tastes.

coming on the internet and being an edge lord calling games shit is not cool. it only makes you look like a pathetic little kid. go play the games you enjoy and we'll all go play the games we enjoy. get over yourself and get some sunlight.

StormCell

You're not wrong. I think a lot of GAF simply remains in denial that gaming has been going downhill for at least a decade. The topic of the public liking shitty games, I think, has more to do with the accessibility of those games (ie. they're available on something everyone already has, they're usually free to play, and they're dead simple). I guarantee if Among Us was only available on Steam, it wouldn't be nearly as popular. But since it's free on mobile and it's such a simple premise plus it involves killing your friends it's the most remarkable thing since I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!

To be honest, I thought you would dump a lot more on the fact that the industry has stopped making a lot of very good games. The reason for that is simply more money to be made making shit. I blame mobile gaming for the damage done to the rest of gaming. That pay-to-win garbage and gacha whatever is all because of stupid mobile and the fact that, yes, people will burn their money on absolutely nothing if you give them a stupid button that eats their money every time they press it.

Bring back arcade sports games and other extreme sporty titles. I want actually good snowboarding again. And I don't want to buy all the secret extra fighters, I'd rather unlock them as rewards. And don't sell me a fourth of the game at full price and then go on to release the other three quarters behind 2 season passes.

Last edited:

Silvawuff

I sort of see where OP is going. I’d say a better argument is that the way games are monetized and released in an incomplete state is shitty, and it’s puzzling why some people would support games like this.

I just realized this fuckin guy is saying Tetris is shit. Tetris

1567879685233.gif

And he has the balls to harp on others for having "bad tastes in gaming"? Would he be interested in Tetris if it featured big tittied young girls 2000 year old dragons with high pitched voices and terrible dialog?

I think you should reread the tipici with more attenzione if you believe that OT think Tetris Is shit...
REREAD THE TIPICI WITH MORE ATTENZIONE!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sometimes people play the wrong games look at all the shovelware that sold over generations

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
With videogames reaching as many souls as they nowadays do, as well as becoming mainstream, it befalls the same fate as movies and music.

Like many of us, when being sincerely passionate about stuff, and continue to be so as years goes by, we become aware and naturally delve into it's history and discover the *real* gems which we will then explore.

The rest will mindlessly continue with their unbeknownst subpar choices of interaction.

Also, taste is subjective but I get what you mean, I think? Taste matures.

Last edited:

StormCell

Maybe I'm too old, but when I was thinking retro I was thinking NES era

There's a lot of nearly unplayable NES games, but then there are some NES games that are still strong today, ya know? I think that the NES era was still partly influenced by the old industry that had already killed itself once with shovel ware. I mean, that's how you end up with games like the first TMNT NES game that is almost just barely playable and damn near impossible to complete. When taking that trip down NES memory lane, it's best to find a top list and pretty much stick to it. And there are some amazing NES games like Super Mario Bros. 3 and Duck Tales.

Still, when I think about retro experiences, SNES is where it's at. That is really where the industry as we've come to know it got its start. It had nearly every kind of game you can think of. SNES and PS1.

tommib

kSdIm5p.jpg
Play what you want to play and stop condemning people for their taste, funny thing is Japan have some of THE worst taste in games if you go by what's popular over there, but i guess the grass is always greener on the other side.
This is totally me and I’m proud of it.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Interestingly, I noticed you had similar complaints about Doom Eternal in that other thread.

It seems like you're not very comfortable dealing with more than a certain amount of visual stimuli?

I'd also assume while you like/love Ikaruga, you aren't nearly as fond of some other bullet hells that bombard your eyes much more.

Cause if that is indeed the case, I'd suggest you keep at it. Learning to see better in the chaos is a thing you can improve, it just doesn't happen overnight as you acclimatise to each game's visual language.
That’s one thing, but in the case of Tetris Effect, some of its visuals can actually obstruct the game’s playing area at times, and the pad’s vibration was just a nuisance to me. I’ve been playing various versions of Tetris for 30 years. Never had such a bad experience like with this one.

Bullet hell games are nothing like Doom Eternal. It’s mostly about evading/absorbing bullets in a 2D space while shooting enemies with a fixed/limited number of attacks. Very different from a 3D arena shooter with half a dozen different enemies in the area at any given time, a dozen different weapons at your disposal, resource management, and environmental hazards. I’ll always gladly try a new BH game, even if I’m not up to the challenge.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
When things become popular without any rhyme or reason the answer is usually "kids".

Among us, Roblox, Fortnite....kids.

I guess you can throw influencers/streamers in there. but influencers often influence kids at a much higher rate than us older folks.

I would also add that kids nowadays grew up on Mobile Gaming. It makes sense that they would gravitate more towards games that is cut from a similar cloth.

Last edited:
When things become popular without any rhyme or reason the answer is usually "kids".

Among us, Roblox, Fortnite....kids.

I guess you can throw influencers/streamers in there. but influencers often influence kids at a much higher rate than us older folks.

I would also add that kids nowadays grew up on Mobile Gaming. It makes sense that they would gravitate more towards games that is cut from a similar cloth.

The thing is this, there IS a rhyme and reason to Fortnite being popular, Roblox being popular. Roblox looks like shit to you or others here, but the game is really an open ended sandbox where content is constantly being created by players. No wonder it appeals to people.

Fortnite, despite the hate it irrationally gets, is a well balanced multiplayer game with content constantly being released for it. No wonder it appeals to people.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The thing is this, there IS a rhyme and reason to Fortnite being popular, Roblox being popular. Roblox looks like shit to you or others here, but the game is really an open ended sandbox where content is constantly being created by players. No wonder it appeals to people.

Fortnite, despite the hate it irrationally gets, is a well balanced multiplayer game with content constantly being released for it. No wonder it appeals to people.
I'm basing this by comparison to what the OP's point is. He's saying that the games nowadays pale in comparison to what we used to herald as the most popular games. If you think there's no generational influence or difference there then you just aren't looking hard enough , I'm afraid.

I'm basing this by comparison to what the OP's point is. He's saying that the games nowadays pale in comparison to what we used to herald as the most popular games. If you think there's no generational influence or difference there then you just aren't looking hard enough , I'm afraid.

Of course there is a generational difference, but is it necessarily shittier? Does that mean that people who enjoy these apparently black listed games have bad "taste"? It's so incredibly subjective, there's no way you can quantify it. Depending on who you talk to the parameters on what is shit or not completely changes, it's totally fluid. So in the end the person making these claims just ends up sounding like an elitist.

MiguelItUp

I get what you're trying to say but, like all things, it's subjective, opinionated, etc.

I haven't been happy with the state of a lot of modern gaming, but within it I still find things I enjoy, and sometimes even love. I'd recommend just doing your best to ignore the things that don't interest you, annoy you, etc. At least the best you can.

Things you enjoy may not be as plentiful as they once were, but that doesn't mean they're gone for good.

Unk Adams

Banned
I think it's because these dorks know they'll never have a family of their own, so they have an insane desire to ridicule anything that kids love out of resentment. Just let the kids have their fun and enjoy their hobbies for crying out loud! I promise, it won't affect your enjoyment of GTA or Dark Souls.

Seriously, grow up and get over yourselves. No need to be so cynical.
This is a pretty ironic post. You're telling someone to grow up while you're acting way more immature by name calling and assuming someone is a virgin and doesn't have a family because they gave an opinion you didn't like. Real mature.

And yes, it does affect your enjoyment of games like GTA because we haven't gotten an actual new GTA in generations because they're milking the people the OP is talking about who spend thousands of dollars in GTA Online. If more games were like the OP and appreciated actual quality and art we would have had multiple new GTA games by now. Gatekeeping is very necessary in hobbies and it actually takes courage for someone like the OP to call this garbage out when you can see the types of hateful and thoughtless responses he gets. This is the reason why every AAA game is corporate trash made to appeal to the Reddit crowd now.

Last edited:
This is a pretty ironic post. You're telling someone to grow up while you're acting way more immature by name calling and assuming someone is a virgin and doesn't have a family because they gave an opinion you didn't like. Real mature.

And yes, it does affect your enjoyment of games like GTA because we haven't gotten an actual new GTA in generations because they're milking the people the OP is talking about who spend thousands of dollars in GTA Online. If more games were like the OP and appreciated actual quality and art we would have had multiple new GTA games by now. Gatekeeping is very necessary in hobbies and it actually takes courage for someone like the OP to call this garbage out when you can see the types of hateful and thoughtless responses he gets. This is the reason why every AAA game is corporate trash made to appeal to the Reddit crowd now.
No, you’re NOT a real gamer.

I’m so sick of all these people that tho k they’re gamers. No, you’re not. Most of you are not even close to being gamers. I see these people saying “I put well over 100 hours in this game, it’s great!” that’s nothing, most of us can easily put 300+ hours in all our games. I see people who only have a Nintendo Switch and claim to be gamers. Come talk to me when you pick up a PS4 controller then we be friends.

Also DEAR ALL WOMEN: Pokémon is not a real game. Animal Crossing is not a real game. The Sims is not a real game. Mario is not a real game. Stardew valley is not a real game. Mobile games are NOT.REAL.GAMES. put down the baby games and play something that requires challenge and skill for once.

Sincerely, all of the ACTUAL gamers.

Graciaus

No, you’re NOT a real gamer.

I’m so sick of all these people that tho k they’re gamers. No, you’re not. Most of you are not even close to being gamers. I see these people saying “I put well over 100 hours in this game, it’s great!” that’s nothing, most of us can easily put 300+ hours in all our games. I see people who only have a Nintendo Switch and claim to be gamers. Come talk to me when you pick up a PS4 controller then we be friends.

Also DEAR ALL WOMEN: Pokémon is not a real game. Animal Crossing is not a real game. The Sims is not a real game. Mario is not a real game. Stardew valley is not a real game. Mobile games are NOT.REAL.GAMES. put down the baby games and play something that requires challenge and skill for once.

Sincerely, all of the ACTUAL gamers.
Please tell me there should be a /s somewhere in there. This might be the worst post in here.

Unk Adams

Banned
It's a copypasta my dude. I'm mocking the person I'm quoting and their silly "gatekeeping is necessary" nonsense.
I found it interesting that you were scolding someone on here for being "immature" when you're now resorting to mocking and posting copypastas. I've noticed that fake gamers for some reason think that mocking and snark is a replacement for a real argument. Very Reddit-like.

Calling someone who plays Candy Crush Saga and Fortnite a real "gamer" is like calling someone who only eats Taco Bell and McDonalds a food aficionado. You can enjoy junk all you want but don't expect people to take you seriously.

bitbydeath

I mean, Marvel movies are the highest grossing box office films right now, can anyone say any of them really hold a candle towards films from the past in terms of the metrics by which we usually measure films? Ie cinematography, direction, acting quality, the script, the dialogue and so on.

I'm not blaming the actors, they can only work with what they are given and the marvel movies contain lots of actors who do an amazing job elsewhere.
It’s different, movies of the past are well known for not being able to produce decent sequels outside of a very small, select few (Horror movies being the exception). They put everything they have in that one movie. Marvel movies interweave and span details over numerous films. Yes, you can argue it misses the ultimate punch BUT they’re designed from the get-go to not blow their load on the first.

That’s one thing, but in the case of Tetris Effect, some of its visuals can actually obstruct the game’s playing area at times, and the pad’s vibration was just a nuisance to me. I’ve been playing various versions of Tetris for 30 years. Never had such a bad experience like with this one.

Bullet hell games are nothing like Doom Eternal. It’s mostly about evading/absorbing bullets in a 2D space while shooting enemies with a fixed/limited number of attacks. Very different from a 3D arena shooter with half a dozen different enemies in the area at any given time, a dozen different weapons at your disposal, resource management, and environmental hazards. I’ll always gladly try a new BH game, even if I’m not up to the challenge.
Hmm, I'll have to experience TE for myself eventually.

Like I said, I was assuming you have an issue with too much visual stimuli on screen and it appears I missed the mark.

Omali

Why do threads like this boil down to the OP proudly boasting about how they haven't developed the ability to understand why people might like other things? In spite of your narcissism, people today have "bad tastes" because the world doesn't revolve around you and what you prefer.

I found it interesting that you were scolding someone on here for being "immature" when you're now resorting to mocking and posting copypastas. I've noticed that fake gamers for some reason think that mocking and snark is a replacement for a real argument. Very Reddit-like.

Calling someone who plays Candy Crush Saga and Fortnite a real "gamer" is like calling someone who only eats Taco Bell and McDonalds a food aficionado. You can enjoy junk all you want but don't expect people to take you seriously.
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily fromNarodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick and Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existencial catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. 😂 And yes by the way, I DO have a Rick and Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

NoobForce

Neo Member
won't say anything about bad taste, but I do think current gaming indutry has almost lost that B rating, free-lancer style character. Bungie's Halo or Blackops 1 were some great example, not just the game itself was amazing but so many crazy fun shit out there, like you can free yourself in mainmenu to discover more secrets? ooof, That was just the result of giving these talented nerds almost full control and budget on their product. Todays industry is basically the opposite, there are exhausted employees trying to rush a unfinished game they don't even care about to the market, talking about massive manufacture.

Top Bottom