• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people today have bad tastes in gaming?

kyliethicc

denzel washington cringe GIF

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Some people just wanna turn their brains off at the end of the day and enjoy some simple fun.
Not everybody is looking for some deep, masterfully crafted gameplay and Oscar-level storytelling.

That’s why I want to move to Japan someday and leave all these foolish gaijins behind. I love Japanese culture so I’m sure they will accept me with open arms. Hoping to meet a lovely young Japanese woman and settle down there. Although I am terrified of women, so I’m thinking we could break the ice when she accidentally sees me naked at a hot spring.

SkylineRKR

Accessibility. Those shit games are playable everywhere, you don't have to buy a console for it. They're usually very easy to pick up and play with no skill ceiling at all. Fortnite ofcourse has skilled players, but generally kids are into it rather fast. They probably struggle more if they try NG2 or DMCV. And you can play those mainstream games against your friends.

Guilty_AI

IDK either... how can people play RDR2? That shit is western based, which is boring AF... if only they knew my tastes, they knew what a good game really is... Like that DmC I've been playing recently

/s
this but without the /s

rdr2 is boring as fuck, what saves it is the story/production.

martino

Let us not underestimate the privileges of the mediocre. Life is always harder as one mounts the heights

Aenima

Is not a case of good or bad taste because what some ppl like is subjective, and if they like it then its a good game for them. Its all about popularity these days. Most of the popular games are made popular by streamers. And streamers that want to make money streaming, usually stick with popular games even if they play better games offstream.

CS, Fortnite, Apex Legends, League of Legends, Minecraft, Among Us, Rocket League, etc are the go to for streamers chasing the cash. They dont play because thats they favorite game, they play those games because they are popular games with alot viwers and by streaming them they keep the popularity of those games high. When one of those case starts losing popularity, they jump for the next popular new thing.

This is the reason when Yakuza 0 came out (The 6th main Yakuza) alot of youtubers was asking: "Why no one told me about this franshise before?"
Well, alot ppl told them, they just ignored it.

Its like a vicious cicle. Streamers want to make money so they stick with popular games, ppl watching streams decide to play popular game because its what they see they favorite streamers play and talk about. Devs make copy pasta of popular game in hope they game become the next big thing.

Thers a video game talk show running on tv here in Portugal, the guests are usually streamers and they all play the new popular thing. But when asked whats they favorite game, they answer a complete diferent game, usually single play games that streamers dont stick with.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I just realized this fuckin guy is saying Tetris is shit. Tetris

1567879685233.gif

And he has the balls to harp on others for having "bad tastes in gaming"? Would he be interested in Tetris if it featured big tittied young girls 2000 year old dragons with high pitched voices and terrible dialog?

"why d-d-d-doesn't everyone have the same shit tastes as me???????"

Get ignored troll.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

M.W.

Why do people make dumb fucking threads?

I mean, every other thread on this forum is better than this one.

I just realized this fuckin guy is saying Tetris is shit. Tetris

1567879685233.gif

And he has the balls to harp on others for having "bad tastes in gaming"? Would he be interested in Tetris if it featured big tittied young girls 2000 year old dragons with high pitched voices and terrible dialog?

Actually, I think he's saying people prefer Candy Crush over Tetris Effect and is making fun of that. His language skills often make it difficult to interpret his intended meaning.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
A lot of people on here are just miserable assholes man. Click a thread and the first thing you do is try to find a way to shit on it to make yourself feel better. I swear, 50% of the posters on this site are just following dopamine hits and don't really know what they're even doing when they type something.

Aion002

"One man's trash is another man's treasure."

Just to make you cringe: Punishing Gray Raven, a chinese mobile gacha game, for me, is infinitely better than that latest Tales of demo and Scarlet Nexus.

Stephen Colbert Television GIF

Dane

LOL, what the fuck is this thread? I tought OP was talking about shit games that sells only because of brand but have been in a major decline (such as sports games), but nah, he just hates that people are playing well made casual games.

A lot of people on here are just miserable assholes man. Click a thread and the first thing you do is try to find a way to shit on it to make yourself feel better. I swear, 50% of the posters on this site are just following dopamine hits and don't really know what they're even doing when they type something.
This entire thread's premise is to shit on anyone who has different favorite games than the OP.

Kuranghi

Hey now, I never said to delete this thread. In fact I made the case for this thread to remain open. He has every right to air his opinion.

I never said you did, I was quoting OP. I just didnt want to OP to shell up when faced with the criticism. I think your criticism was valid, maybe the meme was a bit harsh but in fairness OP was being pretty harsh too so I don't blame you for wanting to post it.

Jeeves

Because it's all they know. The younger players don't know the classics and have developed a palate for junkfood games instead. Sure they can easily access many classic games, but there's no zeitgeist surrounding them.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This entire thread's premise is to shit on anyone who has different favorite games than the OP.
I think a lot of people post here that don't speak English as a first language. The poster in question is literally never hostile to anyone. He has his preferences in games, and wants to talk about it. I think just granting the tiniest bit of charity when reading the intentions of a post brings you to a very different conclusion.

Kuranghi

Some people don't know how to express themselve well to others, because of various reasons, one being a language barrier but just telling them they are a cunt is one way to react, giving them the benefit of the doubt is another.

If they keep coming off as a prick repeatedly when you are fair with them then I'd say its fair enough to call them a cunt and/or move on, but I say you catch more flies with honey and everyone will just retreat if you go to extremes.

Miscommunication is a bane of modern existence.

Guilty_AI

Did a mortal just uttered DOPAMINE?

1623951970521.jpg

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I think a lot of people post here that don't speak English as a first language. The poster in question is literally never hostile to anyone. He has his preferences in games, and wants to talk about it. I think just granting the tiniest bit of charity when reading the intentions of a post brings you to a very different conclusion.

I'm a native english speaker but maybe its because I've lived with people from all over the world I understand get this situation.

Sometimes I've had discussions with flatmates/friends and everything seemed fine... then had to go back and discuss again and discovered we've misunderstood each other, everything seemed fine... then AGAIN it actually wasn't and thats in person, this is through text on the internet so its 10x as hard to understand each other.

I've only met a few people in my life who I'd call actual irredeemable cunts, most of the time its just different walks of life coming together and butting heads.

cireza

OP is a nice person from this forum and does not deserve the hate. Calm down.

His point is perfectly understandable, and it actually takes accepting other people tastes to accept OP, just as much as all of you are telling him to accept other people tastes. If you can't accept his tastes to begin with, you have no right to tell him to accept yours, or others.

Unknown?

I feel it's always been this way though. Ninja Gaiden had some popularity but never was huge like Madden and other top 5 chart games.

bender

What time is it?
His point is perfectly understandable, and it actually takes accepting other people tastes to accept OP, just as much as all of you are telling him to accept other people tastes. If you can't accept his tastes to begin with, you have no right to tell him to accept yours, or others.
giphy+%2828%29.gif

circular reasoning fallacy

I never said you did, I was quoting OP. I just didnt want to OP to shell up when faced with the criticism. I think your criticism was valid, maybe the meme was a bit harsh but in fairness OP was being pretty harsh too so I don't blame you for wanting to post it.

It's true, the meme was unnecessarily harsh. I changed it to the original less assholish version.

OP, you're being disingenuous to the point of absurdity.

The issue isn't anything to do with people's gaming tastes.

It's simply that gaming is broader and addresses a much wider audience now than previously. So both the types of games being made are more diverse, as are the people who play them.

Looking at the titles selected in the OP and concluding that gamers today have worse taste than you is pure, unadulterated arrogance on your part, OP.

In reality, it's that there are more gamers than there used to be, who like different things than you, and therefore there are more games made to service those more diverse interests.

Dr_Salt

Tetris is bad now?

I'm no fan of fortnite, neither am I a fan of the games you like... but I would not say that they're bad games, just not for the elite players like me, the ones with the right tastes.

Older games are better:
engineering reverse GIF

pac man GIF

The rest is hipster non sense!
Damn I suck at Galaga 88.

laynelane

I also prefer story-driven, single-player games but that's due to my tastes and personality. I love exploring new worlds, characters, concepts, etc. in video games and am not amenable to having others, especially strangers, involved in that. Many other people are looking for different things, I think. Multiplayer is huge because it's a great way to socialize and/or compete with others, gameplay is emergent, there's communities centred around many games, it's fun , etc. and people want to be a part of all that. Thing is, most games like that seem pretty boring to me, but it's not that they're actually boring or bad games - just not what resonates for me and therefore not for me.

Are you worried that current trends mean there will be less games you like coming out in the future? I'd like to believe Japan has us covered, though - and some Western studios as well.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I can admire OP's passion for "good" games. Meaning games that have fun gameplay/good story and isn't entirely based around having a bunch of friends with an IQ of 80 and below due to consumption of alcohol or any other drug.

A lot of people are going to go after a large quantity of "good looking" games over quality games that will last you a while and always have something for you to return to. Whether it be replayability or a new way to play a game or a fantastic narrative.

The people you are calling out that have "bad taste" do not take gaming as seriously as you or I might. They just want shallow fun instead of getting lost in what I'll call great experiences where you can get lost and immersed in a gaming world for hours on end.

Two very different audiences.

With Pokemon there is a lot of people that don't care that Gamefreak is a bad developer in comparison to other studios because most of their playerbase will buy the same garbage they were sold before while a minority won't put up with it and won't buy their shit anymore.

I can get your frustration but you may as well be screaming in outer space. And in outer space no one can hear you.

Nowadays people aren't making games to create an artistic vision or to even just make something fun....but to just make money. You gotta take the good with the bad.

If it was up to me I'd love to find people with common interests in gaming and discuss the myriad worlds I've explored but a great many people simply are not interested in doing that. And you know what. That's okay. But when I do find such likeminded souls it makes the wait all the sweeter.

kyussman

A lot of people just tend to eat up whatever is put in front of them....look at the success of the MCU for instance.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
No, just because they don’t like the same games as you, it doesn’t mean they have “bad taste”.

If you watched gamescom today and got excited for any of that generic soulless garbage, you have bad taste. Fucking crash already gaming industry, you're a lifeless husk of your former self.

Rubik8

Have you not turned on a television or radio lately? Most of everything is crap. They don’t make it for fun; someone is consuming it. Therefore, most people have terrible taste.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Society has been greatly degraded over the last few decades, tand he rate of degradation has greatly accelerated in the last couple of years. This affects all aspects of society, including video gaming. Everything is turning to $#!+.
Precisely. You just have to sift through the trash and find the good stuff. ^_^b

Top Bottom