• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do some Switch owners, act like only Nintendo games matter?

Jubenhimer

This is a common mentality I see on ResetERA, and to a lesser extent here on GAF. Whenever the concern over whether there's a Switch drought or not, it all goes back to the lack of a AAA Nintendo release for that period of time. Now if the Switch was barren wasteland that was begging for content like the Wii U or Nintendo 64 was, I could understand that. But it isn't. I think Switch owners forget this sometimes, but third party games exist too, plenty of them, and the Switch is getting more and more support as the years go by. In only 2 years, the Switch is home to Doom, Wolfenstien II, dozens of RPGs and Fighters, including a Street Fighter Compilation, and all the PlayStation era Final Fantasies, Diablo III, Warframe, Fortnite, Rocket League, Mega Man, Dragon's Dogma, Hellblade, and the dozens of indie games each month.

Even if Nintendo doesn't have a big new Mario, Zelda, whatever that month, there's like 20 other notable releases that month you may be interested in from other publishers. Even Nintendo themselves has at least some kind of game released each month. I already can see people making the argument of "But these are inferior versions of these games". Yeah, but you can take these games with you and play them anywhere. So your sacrificing performance, for freedom, and if you don't care about portability, that's fine. But the games don't stop existing simply because they're prettier or faster on other consoles. Otherwise, we can just make the same argument for consoles. Why would I buy anything on PS4, when the PC can run these games way better? Same argument really.

So a drought in Nintendo releases? Probably, Nintendo never really releases anything big in Q1 so I can understand why some may be miffed at that. Drought in Switch games? Hell no! April alone has like 20 major titles releasing, and all are third party games.

sendit

Possibly because a multi platform game on a switch is a subpar experience. Nintendo optimizes their games for their hardware or lack of.

TLZ

Banned
As for me, I buy Nintendo products for Nintendo games and whatever exclusives they get.

As for why buy anything on PS4 because you can play them on PC, no you can't play its exclusives on PC. Good luck trying though.

I'm more of an exclusive guy. I buy consoles and see value in them for their exclusives. And I prefer to buy the multiplat on my more powered console. No need to settle for the inferior experience.

I might double dip and get the same game on Switch if I really want to play it portably, which really is rare for me, since I prefer gaming on TV.

Last edited:

Halo0629

Why do some Switch owners, act like only Nintendo games matter?

Isn't that the reason why people buy the switch in the first place?

Jubenhimer

As for me, I buy Nintendo products for Nintendo games and whatever exclusives they get.

As for why buy anything on PS4 because you can play them on PC, no you can't play its exclusives on PC. Good luck trying though.

Again, it the same argument. Why buy a multiplatform title on PS4 when the version on PC is superior by default? I like exclusives as much as the next guy, but I feel multiplatform titles also help add value to a console. Nobody is going to buy a console and only play games from one publisher on it.

Possibly because a multi platform game on a switch is a subpar experience. Nintendo optimizes their games for their hardware or lack of.

If you don't play on the go maybe. But Switch versions of games still hold up to the other consoles on average even with the compromises. So it really depends on if you like playing on the go or not.

TLZ

Banned
Again, it the same argument. Why buy a multiplatform title on PS4 when the version on PC is superior by default? I like exclusives as much as the next guy, but I feel multiplatform titles also help add value to a console. Nobody is going to buy a console and only play games from one publisher on it.
I simply don't game on PC though. I only game on consoles.

Jubenhimer

Isn't that the reason why people buy the switch in the first place?

Of course, First party games are the main draw. But my complaint comes from those who think no big Nintendo release = nothing to play on Switch at all. If the Switch was actually lacking in third party support, that'd be a valid concern, but it's not though. You still get plenty of solid releases each month for the system even when Nintendo doesn't have a big new title to show.

I simply don't game on PC though. I only game on consoles.

That's my point. Plenty of people have their reasons for buying what is technically an inferior version of a multiplatform release on their console of choice. In the case of the PS4 or Xbox One, it's because They're plug & play consoles that doesn't require fiddling with graphical settings or buying expensive parts, or spending an afternoon just building a PC capable of running the game at the highest settings. For the Switch, it's because it's a hybrid that doesn't require you to dedicate at least an hour to your TV to enjoy it.

Point is, consumers don't care about power, they just want the game, and they'll get it on whatever platform they prefer.

Sakura

Many people don't have gaming PCs, be it because they prefer console gaming (physical copies, etc) or in my case where there is nowhere I could fit a PC.
Multiplatform titles are good if they actually come out for the Switch at the same time as elsewhere (Dragon Quest Builders 2 for example). Wolfenstein, Dragons Dogma, Diablo III, etc if I cared about these games I would've already played them long before they came out on the Switch. If they are going to port an old game, they need to do more, like how Dragon Quest XI for the Switch has voice acting and new story content and stuff.

Jubenhimer

Multiplatform titles are good if they actually come out for the Switch at the same time as elsewhere (Dragon Quest Builders 2 for example). Wolfenstein, Dragons Dogma, Diablo III, etc if I cared about these games I would've already played them long before they came out on the Switch. If they are going to port an old game, they need to do more, like how Dragon Quest XI for the Switch has voice acting and new story content and stuff.

Fair point, not everyone is into late ports of games they have elsewhere. But the Switch does make double dipping more viable due to the ability to take the game with you. So if you like Doom, and have it on PS4, but don't want to lug a PS4 around while on commute, then the Switch version suddenly looks more attractive. That's the niche the Switch fills, and that's why even late ports like Diablo and Doom are doing well on it.

For the most part, it's generally a variation of the "only 'big' games matter" mindset you see throughout the gaming community. The Switch's portable nature doesn't help either. Handheld gaming has never quite had the same respect that console gaming does, so the common rebuttal of "it's portable now!" does little to change the mind of a console-only gamer. And since console gamers are the ones who tend to have the "only 'big' games matter" mindset...

Oh, and there's also the fact that the Switch has pulled in a lot of forum-goers who've drifted away from Nintendo for some reason or other, and thus have different expectations than those who have been around for a while. I feel like most Switch owners who have stuck with Nintendo for a while know that there's only so much Nintendo alone can do. They also know that once you get past Nintendo's heavy hitters, there really isn't much left in their catalogue that can really drive gamer hype.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I enjoy first party Nintendo games a lot but my biggest reason I got Switch was for its third party exclusives like....

Astral Chain
Daemon X Machina
Shin Megami Tensei V
Bayonetta 1 - 3
Octopath Traveler

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

I feel like most Switch owners who have stuck with Nintendo for a while know that there's only so much Nintendo alone can do. They also know that once you get past Nintendo's heavy hitters, there really isn't much left in their catalogue that can really drive gamer hype.

This is true. Nintendo is only one publisher, and for better or worse, has never been a company that prioritizes the interests of the typical core PlayStation or Xbox Gamer above all else, so not every game they release will be for everyone. That's why its important for the Switch to have a healthy lineup of third party games, and luckily it has just that.

The point is, people have complained for years that Nintendo has no reliable third party support, so when they finally get it for the Switch, now the complaint is that there's not enough Nintendo games. It just seems like no matter what Nintendo does, they simply can't please these people.

Virex

Banned
I own a Switch. But I only have a handful of games. Breath of The Wild, Odyssey, Octopath, XBC2 and Monster Hunter. But in all honesty I have to say that Switch owners in general have become the most irritating group of people out there.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Because Nintendo published games are what I buy Nintendo systems for. If the Switch port of a 3rd party game is of comparable quality and timely, I'll get the Switch version (e.g. in Crash Bandicoot's case), but I do not buy Nintendo systems to play inferior ports of games I could as well play on the Xbox. Nintendo-published games are not all that counts, but they are what makes Nintendo platforms attractive.

TLZ

Banned
Fair point, not everyone is into late ports of games they have elsewhere. But the Switch does make double dipping more viable due to the ability to take the game with you. So if you like Doom, and have it on PS4, but don't want to lug a PS4 around while on commute, then the Switch version suddenly looks more attractive. That's the niche the Switch fills, and that's why even late ports like Diablo and Doom are doing well on it.
So when people don't care about portability, aren't into PC gaming and already have another console where most of their gaming is, that's when they buy Nintendo consoles for their exclusives (if they care about Nintendo games at all of course) :)

Jubenhimer

So when people don't care about portability, aren't into PC gaming and already have another console where most of their gaming is, that's when they buy Nintendo consoles for their exclusives (if they care about Nintendo games at all of course) :)

Well if you fall into that category, then sure. But one big selling point about the Switch is that there's no right or wrong way to use it. It was designed as an intuitive and flexible gaming device that can fit into whatever lifestyle or gaming experience you have. As such, I think it's unfair to pretend that multiplatform games and ports are irrelevant on Switch because the console's hardware makes these games more appealing to large audience of gamers who just want something bigger than a smartphone app to entertain them on a long plane trip or train ride. And if you don't fit into that category, that's not a problem either, as the Switch still has some of the best exclusive titles you can find on the market.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Well if you fall into that category, then sure. But one big selling point about the Switch is that there's no right or wrong way to use it. It was designed as an intuitive and flexible gaming device that can fit into whatever lifestyle or gaming experience you have. As such, I think it's unfair to pretend that multiplatform games and ports are irrelevant on Switch because the console's hardware makes these games more appealing to large audience of gamers who just want something bigger than a smartphone app to entertain them on a long plane trip or train ride. And if you don't fit into that category, that's not a problem either, as the Switch still has some of the best exclusive titles you can find on the market.
I don't think they're irrelevant. In my case they might be, because I don't buy for portability, and I either already have the game on my other home console or the experience is simply inferior graphics and performance wise on Switch.

For other owners though it's very relevant, which I fully understand, and it's important to have them on the Switch, either for variety sake for Nintendo having 3rd parties on their platform, or people only having the Switch and can't or don't want to own another console. And of course more sales!

For example, I care about a multiplat game like DQXI to have as much exposure as possible, because it's a great game and I think it deserves more recognition and sales. It helps us all get more sequels later and possibly better. In addition to me wanting others to enjoy this great game on their platform of course.

I'm going to stop rambling now.

Last edited:
The point is, people have complained for years that Nintendo has no reliable third party support, so when they finally get it for the Switch, now the complaint is that there's not enough Nintendo games. It just seems like no matter what Nintendo does, they simply can't please these people.
Well again, the issue isn't that the Switch isn't getting games, it's that the Switch isn't getting the right kind of games. Generally when forum-goers who own Nintendo consoles say they want third-party support, they're not talking about indies. They're not really talking about ports. They're not talking about mid-tier games or new but unproven properties. They're not talking about sports games. They're talking about the same huge, hype-inducing, graphically impressive AAA games that are the talk of the industry. They want to be a part of the larger gaming conversation. In short, it's FOMO syndrome. At best, they just want to enjoy as many of the games they like as possible on their Switch. At worst, they want the option to eat at what's thought of as the big boy table. And when they don't get that from third parties, they then figure that it's then Nintendo's job to provide them with that experience themselves. Hence, the desire for 'big' Nintendo games like Mario/Zelda (the only Nintendo franchises with AAA prestige), Metroid (fills the desire for "mature" content, also prestigious), or F-Zero (resonates with the older crowd that still dominates gaming culture). It's also why you never really get a clear answer when you ask exactly what "big" Nintendo announcements people are looking for.

I don't particularly like or agree with this mindset at all, but I get it.

Last edited:

LMJ

I think it boils down to the general incredible quality of most Nintendo games, they(the majority) are often both critical and fan favorites and for a myriad of reasons
- often groundbreaking (OOT, BOTW, Mario64)
- They seldom follow the same design shaking things up
- They are often very polished with very few bugs
- Majority of titles are timeless and can be enjoyed by all ages
- Most importantly, they are all fun to play, gameplay comes 1st.

Because of this I think the Nintendo titles tend to stand out even amongst amazing 3rd party multiplayer and exclusives.

All I know is every time I've purchased a Nintendo system, I can count on Nintendo titles for all the reasons I listed and more!:messenger_beaming:

T

sorry but there is not a reliable third party support, sure there are games like doom or wolfenstein but they are few and most popular third party franchises are not there or are ported later and at full price, there is a reliable support of indie games but they are also in other systems and that is the problem with switch and third party games, most people with a switch have another system where they can play better and it doesnt help that switch ports are usually more expensive than in other systems, you also have to pay extra for playing online games(non F2P) and developers have to rework their games in order to run on switch limited specs, some people dont have a problem buying a game twice in order to play also on switch as a portable, but most people are not in that situation so as a result they buy a switch for the only reason they want it in the first place: nintendo games

Aren117

hat's my point. Plenty of people have their reasons for buying what is technically an inferior version of a multiplatform release on their console of choice. In the case of the PS4 or Xbox One, it's because They're plug & play consoles that doesn't require fiddling with graphical settings or buying expensive parts, or spending an afternoon just building a PC capable of running the game at the highest settings.

That's a very outdated mindset.

You can buy a pre-built PC on various price ranges, setup your OS account and Steam, then just start downloading and playing games. Almost every game auto-detect the graphical configuration for you based on your hardware, and also have presets that you can change to your like, instead of tinkering on a per setting basis.

Updates, be it firmware, OS or drivers, are a thing on both consoles and PCs, and no console is just plug & play since last gen: you gotta setup an user, internet because games have day 1 updates. You do this once and never do it again unless you factory reset the thing. Same as PC.

The only thing I can think of a minor hassle is setting up a Dualshock 4 without a cable, because even the Xbox One controller is just plug & play or sync with the official adapter.

And yes, you can plug a PC on a TV too.

93xfan

Banned

Not anymore. The portability makes many games a better experience. Not every game of course, but Stardew Valley, Final Fantasy, Mega Man 11, etc.

For games with notable visual or frame rate differences, I usually go with PS4 or Xbox 1 though.

petran79

Banned
Well again, the issue isn't that the Switch isn't getting games, it's that the Switch isn't getting the right kind of games. Generally when forum-goers who own Nintendo consoles say they want third-party support, they're not talking about indies. They're not really talking about ports. They're not talking about mid-tier games or new but unproven properties. They're not talking about sports games. They're talking about the same huge, hype-inducing, graphically impressive AAA games that are the talk of the industry. They want to be a part of the larger gaming conversation. In short, it's FOMO syndrome. At best, they just want to enjoy as many of the games they like as possible on their Switch. At worst, they want the option to eat at what's thought of as the big boy table. And when they don't get that from third parties, they then figure that it's then Nintendo's job to provide them with that experience themselves. Hence, the desire for 'big' Nintendo games like Mario/Zelda (the only Nintendo franchises with AAA prestige), Metroid (fills the desire for "mature" content, also prestigious), or F-Zero (resonates with the older crowd that still dominates gaming culture). It's also why you never really get a clear answer when you ask exactly what "big" Nintendo announcements people are looking for.

I don't particularly like or agree with this mindset at all, but I get it.

Since they pay a premium price for the console, they have expectations from it too. Nintendo can not expect from all the buyers to do extensive market research.

Came off of Ys VIII not too long ago as well as Code of Princess, so 3rd party games matter to me at least. Plenty of other stuff to play on there on top of that. Switch has actually kind of become my primary console, not even due to the portability but just because the loading times are so limited on everything and you can turn the thing on within a second and resume the game you were playing. I hope next gen consoles follow suit on this and have at least SOME SSD capacity for the OS and stuff.

Jubenhimer

sorry but there is not a reliable third party support, sure there are games like doom or wolfenstein but they are few and most popular third party franchises are not there or are ported later and at full price, there is a reliable support of indie games but they are also in other systems and that is the problem with switch and third party games, most people with a switch have another system where they can play better and it doesnt help that switch ports are usually more expensive than in other systems, you also have to pay extra for playing online games(non F2P) and developers have to rework their games in order to run on switch limited specs, some people dont have a problem buying a game twice in order to play also on switch as a portable, but most people are not in that situation so as a result they buy a switch for the only reason they want it in the first place: nintendo games

The Switch has reliable third party support because it's gets many notable titles from the other consoles on a regular basis, as well as exclusives. Late or not, any console that gets Doom, Wolfentstien, Fortnite, Hellblade, Rocket League, Minecraft, Octopath Traveler, Mario + Rabbids, among other titles in its first two years is off to a strong start in my eyes. If you were expecting a mobile device to have 1:1 identical library to the two big consoles, then I'm not sure what you were expecting TBH.

Chastten

Banned
I agree. While the Switch is certainly lacking some key titles there are plenty of great multi-platform titles to choose from. Not too long ago getting Valkyria Chronicles 4 or Tales of Vesperia Remastered, or any of the Atelier titles, or even Diablo and Wolfenstein on a Nintendo console would be a fantasy. Now they're all here. Great stuff. I got mine last October and it'll be my mainconsole for the next 2 or 3 years without a problem.

The graphics issue is a non issue for me, and especially laughable coming from PlayStation fans. They have been gaming on graphically inferior consoles for more then a decade, and even with the PS3 they got screwed with a lot of 3th party titles, and now Sony has a halfway decent console suddenly graphics are important. Yeah.... no.

Allandor

Because I buy a Nintendo console/handheld for Nintendo games, not anything else. For other things there are other devices that can deliver a better experience for other titles.
What really is still an issue, they don't release new things. Just the old stuff I already played on the WiiU. So my kids are using the Switch for Minecraft else it would wouldn't be used at all. Let's Go Pokemon was also just a short game (and actually a remake) no one is plays it anylonger.

Virex

Banned
Dare I say that Nintendo should "Switch" to making more new games instead of endless ports.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

Because I buy a Nintendo console/handheld for Nintendo games, not anything else. For other things there are other devices that can deliver a better experience for other titles.
What really is still an issue, they don't release new things. Just the old stuff I already played on the WiiU. So my kids are using the Switch for Minecraft else it would wouldn't be used at all. Let's Go Pokemon was also just a short game (and actually a remake) no one is plays it anylonger.

Dare I say that Nintendo should "Switch" to making more new games instead of endless ports.

The only Wii U Port announced for 2019 thus far, was NSMB, which just came out. Everything else this year so far is freshly made. So the Wii U port argument doesn't really apply anymore, especially when they're actually a minority in the first party lineup in general thus far.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Because in the same way, Sony people and Xbox fan boys (ok, maybe those not much) talks how much their platform is the best ever and should be in first place. So the blame is on the stupid fan boys

ROMhack

Strangely enough, Nintendo games usually excite me the least. With the Switch, I simply love the console for its portability aspect so am thrilled when new games come out that I can play on the go. It's why I thought the Wii U was a bit crap as it was practically all Nintendo and nothing more.

I must admit though, many of those same fans bother me. I see people who get excited anything Nintendo throws at them, even if it's not very innovative or original. You know, the type of people who want a fifth Animal Crossing or Pikmin game despite them being practically identical to the last game. I can't relate to it.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

One reason I tend to not gravitate towards consoles from Nintendo, having me skipped the whole Wii-era as well as N64, was Nintendos lack of third party games. I´ve always went with Playstation. But now with the Switch, they finally have a really solid third party support, one of the best since Gamecube, or even SNES, it seems. The portability factor outweighs the technical side of things, and I don´t mind buying an inferior port just for having that option. I´m not a tech junkie either and needs to play in 4K just to have fun, so for me to get all these good third party games is a bless. And the ports to Switch is really good. Look at Warframe for instance. I compared it to PS4 and the downgrade is barely noticeable. People are discrediting Switch´s hardware way too much.

The thing is, this mindset, with people only playing Nintendo-games on Nintendo-consoles, is what´s hurting the third party side of gaming for Nintendo. And it creates a sort of Catch 22-problem. Nintendo needs third party support for their consoles, but since Nintendo produces such high quality games and have such loyal fans, their games always outsell any third party games which makes the third party support seem weaker in sales comparison. And because of this, third party publishers are hesitant to release their games on Nintendos platforms since they don´t sell as much. Their games will always be in the shadow of Nintendos big releases, and Nintendo knows this, and it creates a issue for them since they want strong third party support so it can fill out the schedule when Nintendo has nothing new to release. They want to eat the cake and still have it.

The Switch does seem to have turned things around quite a bit. I read success stories from a lot of publishers who says their game is doing very well on Switch. Countless indie games have sold tons of copies on Switch. Octopath made a big splash, so did Diablo 3. More third party games are due for release and for every month, more and more developers are jumping in to the Switch ecosystem, now with prime exclusives such as Ultimate Alliance 3 and Astral Chain. Maybe fans are finally getting to realize that if they want more third party support, they have to buy more third party games. It´s that simple. Whatever it is, Nintendo is seeing the strongest third party support in decades. That´s a fact that can´t be disputed.

Last edited:

Antoon

Banned
Nintendo standards made me pretty critical, so its pretty hard to get excited for lower quality games from most 3rd parties/indies these days.

Why would you care about sub/late/over priced experience you can play better on Pro, X, PC? Aren't something like 80% of switch owners also playing on ps4, xbox one? In this situation, it makes sense the majority only cares about the exclusives and Nintenfo games.

Jubenhimer

Why would you care about sub/late/over priced experience you can play better on Pro, X, PC? Aren't something like 80% of switch owners also playing on ps4, xbox one? In this situation, it makes sense the majority only cares about the exclusives and Nintenfo games.

Portability. Even if people own a PS4 or PC, they're still plenty who will get the Switch version because they want a version they can play without the need to be at home. It's a matter of convenience.

Portability. Even if people own a PS4 or PC, they're still plenty who will get the Switch version because they want a version they can play without the need to be at home. It's a matter of convenience.

Come on...the Switch is about as portable as a toaster!

VertigoOA

Banned
It’s been like this with Nintendo diehards for decades. Hell, I was once like that when I was a teenage idiot.

Then I got an xbox and ps2.

And while I still may adore super Metroid and almost everything I played on the n64.... Nintendo is the most overrated game company of all time and the switch is trash, a rip off, has the typical same ole Nintendo cookie cutter shit, and has the worst controller ever sold.

Last edited:

Allandor

The only Wii U Port announced for 2019 thus far, was NSMB, which just came out. Everything else this year so far is freshly made. So the Wii U port argument doesn't really apply anymore, especially when they're actually a minority in the first party lineup in general thus far.
Minority?
Most first party titles are actually ports on switch so far. Good for those who hadn't played them, but from my perspective they are years old they they want full price ...
I really hope nintendo delivers this year. They are really bad at delivering software. Was the same situation on the wii u. they just need to long to deliver something new. They even need long for porting games.
I really hope they bring out a new 2D Mario game at some point in the next two years, but everything else is nothing for me so far. Without my kids the switch would just collect dust.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
It depends on the game.

I only have a switch and 3DS so if anything worth while pops up I am excite.

If it’s a Nintendo game that hypes me, great.
If it’s and indie game that hypes me, great
If it is a third party game that hypes me, great

The same if the game doesn’t appeal to me I don’t care where it comes from or who made it I won’t buy it. But I I hope it succeeds. If that makes sense

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Some people act like only PC matters. Some people act like only mobile matters. It's not an unusual phenomenon.

One of the signs of a true enthusiast is someone who isn't content with the games on one platform and needs to seek out others. But most people are happy with just one system/platform.

PocoJoe

Banned
To me is the lack of NEW BIG BUDGET GAMES.

I have wiiu and 80+ games. I have ps4 and +200 games, I have nes, snes and many other consoles.

I just want big deep games like zelda and xenoblade. I dont care about remakes, ports or trashy indies(some could be ok, but there are like +1000 games and most are trash so too hard to find the jewels)

I dont even like most Nintendo exclusives, mario got boring around when N64 released.

Top Bottom