• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Cringe Why do the female characters in The Outer Worlds lack traditionally feminine features?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Aug 17, 2009
Philippines
psnprofiles.com
Short hair is easier compared to long flowing hair. I mean one of the very few companies that get long hair right is Square Enix.

LazyParrot

Mar 19, 2019
Is there going to be a thread like this for every major release now?

Here's the real reason, though: long hair in games is a pain in the ass to get right. Most 3D character artists hate dealing with hair and would rather do anything else. Huge studios like Blizzard will have artists who do nothing but hair (the one time I had to do hair I used a tutorial made by one such artist), but most studios probably don't, and this can be the result.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
Those images above from Outer Worlds and Anthem are sad.

In gaming, people tyically look better than real life. Who knew the trend for gaming are for the females to look worse than real life.

WTF? How is the one in the bottom left box, that's supposed be a chick? How is that not considered an 11 year old boy? LOLOLOL

But hey, if all the media and SJW want gaming to not portray women as over-glorified pin up dolls, well here you go. Short haired, mangirls. Haha

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
Some of them look more like young dudes for some reason, who draws this (middle or last one in the bottom row) when they are told to design some female character?

Anyways, for their preferences you would have to ask them.
Look at the one in the top right corner.

That's like a 12 year old zit faced dude. Hahahaha

• LOL
Reactions: brap

peter42O

Aug 9, 2014
Thankfully, I won't care whatsoever what the characters look like. Hell, the only one I would care about is the one I can't see. lol.

Soltype

Mar 30, 2015
There are barely any feminine haircuts in the character creator. You can't make a proper woman in the game, and no one's said anything yet, but we'll see. I also love how when they want to make a female character that's strong, they look like men. These people are more sexist than the people they harp on.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Nov 25, 2015
Is there going to be a thread like this for every major release now?

Here's the real reason, though: long hair in games is a pain in the ass to get right. Most 3D character artists hate dealing with hair and would rather do anything else. Huge studios like Blizzard will have artists who do nothing but hair (the one time I had to do hair I used a tutorial made by one such artist), but most studios probably don't, and this can be the result.
Why not just use ponytails, pigtails or other tied up methods? Even Tomb Raider on PS1 had long hair.

Oct 7, 2019
Yeah, that's pretty unappealing actually but whatever. I always like to play as an attractive woman but it's hardly a deal-breaker.

What does the guys look like?

Oct 26, 2018
Why not just use ponytails, pigtails or other tied up methods? Even Tomb Raider on PS1 had long hair.

Long hair = too feminine.

Too feminine = the female is being oppressed by society

Female oppressed by society = be less oppressed by copying what guys do (the oppressors) to balance it out

Copy what guys do = get short hair

The funny thing is hair growth is a human thing. Guys grow more hair on their face and body, but for some reason in life society stereotypes hairy guys by getting short haircuts, and women who have less bodily hair get pressured by society to get longer head hair. It's like being opposite.

Hair is something that keeps growing too. So the natural thing to do is actually for everyone to let their hair grow out long. No other animal cuts their fur do they? Nope.

Oct 26, 2018
I'd say the only two pics that are 95% women are the Black chick with the violet stringy hair, and the short haired Scarlett Johansson looking one. Hair is dude-ish, but the facial features are feminine.

There's a couple of other close calls (Black women with short afro hair).

The rest are dudes.

Status
Not open for further replies.