• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do Video Game reviews get so much hate and vitriol?

I'm not in as deep in other mediums as video games but just from what I see from movie, music and other mediums reviews are a lack of hate. Reviewers don't get abuse on twitter or sent death threats because they gave something a score of 8.8.

What brought this about was the ign reviews of Doom and Uncharted 4, where the comments on video and the written review were just abhorrent. Filled the usual homophobic slurs and the like. Along with that stupid petition to remove that Washington post review from metacritic, with Troy Baker fueling such idiocy.

Basically, what is it about "gamers" or the gaming community that breeds people acting in this way that's so unlike any other medium? This obsessive with metacritic scores? This need to "protect" brands against criticism?

Because that game I haven't played of the series I love has to be the best thing ever.

I guess people are just passionate about the stuff they like. That passion seems to make people feel entitled.

Hektor

A lot of people are giant manchildren that define themselfs based on the games they like and feel personally attacked due to bad reviews for their favorite franchises.

Moobabe

I'm not in as deep in other mediums as video games but just from what I see from movie, music and other mediums reviews are a lack of hate. Reviewers don't get abuse on twitter or sent death threats because they gave something a score of 8.8.

What brought this about was the ign reviews of Doom and Uncharted 4, where the comments on video and the written review were just abhorrent. Filled the usual homophobic slurs and the like. Along with that stupid petition to remove that Washington post review from metacritic, with Troy Baker fueling such idiocy.

Basically, what is it about "gamers" or the gaming community that breeds people acting in this way that's so unlike any other medium? This obsessive with metacritic scores? This need to "protect" brands against criticism?

You should read an article called 'Death of the Gamer' (IIRC, though I've also forgotten who it's by...). It's more specifically about GamerGate and how certain "gamers" have created that movement, but it's the same premise - they see something that they understand to be threatening to "their" medium, or in this case "their" game or series, and react strongly against it.

Its not just gamers. You should see the reaction DC fans got when The Dark Knight Rises got negative reviews on RottenTomatoes. They had to delete the comment section, there was so much vitrol. It still happens today whenever a big fanboy thing gets a bad review.

The problem is emotional investment. People get so caught up in a product, so much of their self-worth is based on that product in question. So any slight against that product is taken as a personal slight against them, and their taste, and their desires. So instead of shrugging it off and going about their lives, they have to fight back. They have to "protect" themselves, because this person didnt like this entertainment product(that I haven't even experienced myself, naturally).

Yep

The outcry over the 7.1 for Doom from IGN made me actively dislike the people in the DOOM OT

like, seeing people so upset and obsessed with Doom being praised not only is creepy but I feel there is something quite off about that, mentally

It's like, OK people ign giving the game a 7.1 doesn't lower your enjoyment so just chill

people tend to think there is no objectivity when it comes to game criticism and it upsets them when their favorite game gets criticized on an objective front. They then attempt to refute it by parroting "well that's just, like, your opinion, man." Not everything is 100% subjective. To clarify, one can 'enjoy' something that is objectively terrible; conversely, one can appreciate something that is objectively 'good' and not particularly enjoy it.

Nibel

Its not just gamers. You should see the reaction DC fans got when The Dark Knight Rises got negative reviews on RottenTomatoes. They had to delete the comment section, there was so much vitrol. It still happens today whenever a big fanboy thing gets a bad review.

The problem is emotional investment. People get so caught up in a product, so much of their self-worth is based on that product in question. So any slight against that product is taken as a personal slight against them, and their taste, and their desires. So instead of shrugging it off and going about their lives, they have to fight back. They have to "protect" themselves, because this person didnt like this entertainment product(that I haven't even experienced myself, naturally).

This guy here might be the worst poster on this planet but yeah: nailed it

I'm not in as deep in other mediums as video games but just from what I see from movie, music and other mediums reviews are a lack of hate.

You don't remember The Dark Knight Rises controversy?

Fine didn’t trash the film, he merely said he felt “The Dark Knight Rises” was the weakest of Nolan’s Batman trilogy. But within minutes, hundreds of people had posted comments on Fine’s review, many of which were personal attacks on Fine. “I knew it would probably be controversial just because I was the first negative one, and the first person to burst that 100% bubble always comes in for some negative response, but it was like a tsunami,” Fine said. “What’s amazing to me — and sort of amusing to me — is that all of these comments are coming from people who haven’t seen the movie.”

The comments ranged from short, simple cursing all the way up to death threats. One poster said he wanted Fine to die in a fire. Another fantasized about beating Fine to death with a thick rubber hose. For Rotten Tomatoes, that was enough. The website shut down the commenting feature on all “Dark Knight Rises” reviews. Rotten Tomatoes Editor-in-chief Matt Atchiity wrote, “There are plenty of other things to get angry about, like war, famine, poverty and crime. But not movie reviews.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012...-rises-raises-ugly-debate-on-rotten-tomatoes/

And if you want a more recent example you can look at what's happened over Batman vs. Superman.

Lime

Cultivation by the games industry and marketing, resulting in a lot of fanboy/-girl mentalities by combining one's own sense of self-worth with a product marketed as part of your identity.

Same thing with the parts of the pathological reaction to other forms of criticism, such as Feminist Frequency.

Probably the thought that if a game someone really loves receives a less than glowing review, then people will be discouraged and not buy it therefore leading to no sequels or anything.

I read an article dealing with this line of thinking in EGM back in like 2006.

But this happens in all forms of media, especially movies these days.

TheJoRu

It's not exclusive to games, but generally it involves a certain subset of manbabies who get really emotionally invested in media franchises and have agendas dedicated to either attacking or defending said franchises.

A lot of those people play video games.

killroy87

Gamer culture and Internet hivemind culture are pretty deeply related.

Yup. I've worked customer service in many different industries, and I've never had worse clientele than with video games. It's hard to pinpoint exactly how or why they're so bad, and obviously there is good and bad in every industry, but I've never had lower lows than dealing with certain gamers.

It probably doesn't help that the videogame industry has, almost since inception, been marketed as a competition between loyal consumers. Sega vs Nintendo, Xbox vs Playstation, and so on and so forth. Other industries don't really do that, at least certainly not to the same degree. When you're going to market your product like that, it's going to create and encourage certain behaviours.

DigtialT

There are some reviews for movies that get similar vitriol, but noticeably they are all reviews for things that are considered part of "nerd culture" ie: Superheros like batman or superman. The main source of hate is just people who can't separate themselves from some item they are excited about, so views "attacks" on that item as attacks on themselves. This is very common in the video game community, not exactly sure why. It could be because there are alot of young children in the culture who haven't matured enough, but that doesn't explain all the adults that act the same way.

Video game review scores are the primary ammunition for system warrior nonsense so if someone trashes a game that you're out there defending, they deserve to get trashed.

Or something

Because I love games and I love this particular game even though I haven't played it and you're an idiot for not liking it.

Gamers are passionate but most are also spoiled children and combined with anonymity on the internet, that is a combination that will only lead to disaster.

Glowsquid

I'm not in as deep in other mediums as video games but just from what I see from movies [...]

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/the-dark-knight-rises-first-negative-review-provokes/276105

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/st...wars-fans-i-wont-apologise-to-sensitive-mobs/

http://www.ifc.com/2010/06/not-a-fan-of-toy-story-3 etc etc. Hell, there are ton of conspiracy theories and hand-wringing about the reviews of Batman Bin Suparman and that's a recent release.

Post #8 says what I was going to write more eloquently.

Because they don't say what you want to hear.. or they criticise something you like, and every opinion is completely subjective to its author.

Probably the thought that if a game someone really loves receives a less than glowing review, then people will be discouraged and not buy it therefore leading to no sequels or anything.

I read an article dealing with this line of thinking in EGM back in like 2006.

But this happens in all forms of media, especially movies these days.

That's a horribly lame reason. Like how can a grown adult with a functioning brain correlate that?

killroy87

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/the-dark-knight-rises-first-negative-review-provokes/276105

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/st...wars-fans-i-wont-apologise-to-sensitive-mobs/

http://www.ifc.com/2010/06/not-a-fan-of-toy-story-3 etc etc. Hell, there are ton of conspiracy theories and hand-wringing about the reviews of Batman Bin Suparman and that's a recent release.

Post #8 says what I was going to write more eloquently.

It's at least worth mentioning that most of the movies that receive this kind of attention are ones that have the most audience crossover with video games. Safe to say that a lot of the same people seeing Batman movies are also playing video games.

Thabass

How is having valid criticism and giving something a 7.1 (a decent score) "shitting" on something you love?

It's a product. If your microwave got a bad review would you do the same?

How deep do you love your microwave? We're talking about people who consider this their lives. The reason they get up everyday. If you're "talking shit" about something you deeply love, you'd get defensive about it.

This is a poor-man's psychology theory.

I knew people were going bring comicbook movie reviews but while that level of hate happens there it's really the only type of movies where that happens unlike in games where I see it happen all the time.

You should read an article called 'Death of the Gamer' (IIRC, though I've also forgotten who it's by...). It's more specifically about GamerGate and how certain "gamers" have created that movement, but it's the same premise - they see something that they understand to be threatening to "their" medium, or in this case "their" game or series, and react strongly against it.
Is that the one by Leigh Alexander?

Interfectum

I think there's a general lack of respect for people who review entertainment. This manifests when someone goes against consensus.

"Who are you to not like what I and everyone else likes?"

Moobabe

How deep do you love your microwave? We're talking about people who consider this their lives. The reason they get up everyday. If you're "talking shit" about something you deeply love, you'd get defensive about it.

This is a poor-man's psychology theory.

If playing games is their lives and the reason they wake up every day then I think there are more serious issues than low review scores going on.

Edit - Unless it's somehow related to their profession.

No, I'll see if I can find it.

It is: Dan Golding’s essay, “The End of Gamers”

A lot of people are giant manchildren that define themselfs based on the games they like and feel personally attacked due to bad reviews for their favorite franchises.

This. Poor personal development and socialization.
I've never seen this outside of "gamers". If you say even one thing is bad, or criticize something they like, suddenly you think it's the worst, and your opinions could never be valid. You can't like a game and also acknowledge its many flaws, to them.

Worst part is that they're normally mad about the number, and not the actual review. Some small minded shit there.

It's not fun to have people shit on something you love.

But it's often not "shitting on" the games. It's simply valid criticism from someone that might still genuinely like/enjoy that same game.

With any kind of review, some people care too much about other people agreeing with and validating their opinions. Review scores are a lazy shortcut to checking if your opinion is popular and correct.

IGN really can't win

Last gen when IGN handed 9s like candy people complained. Now when they are actually more strict than many other big review sites with their scores people complain.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Gamer culture and Internet hivemind culture are pretty deeply related.

Basically these two combined. Gaming is far more entwined in the Internet forum nerd rage culture than movies etc. With exceptions for things like Star Wars of course.

Pretty much anywhere their are pathetic fanboys you get the attacks on people who don't like what they like. Where as the regular person doesn't give two shits about people's opinions on games, movies etc. They have more important things to invest emotions in, where as the people bashing reviewers don't as they generally don't have much going in their lives and pretty much live for their hobbies and Internet outlets.

ghostjoke

Banned
People still in childlike mindset of mine-is-better-than-yours + how metacritic has reshaped the number scale that is already a failure in dissecting how good a thing will be to an individual. Add in how aggregated scores can have an effect on future things (gotta hit that sweet 85+) people like and you've a hot pot for people getting angry at arbitrary numbers.

It's not exclusive to gaming by any means. If might seem louder because gaming is heavily linked with the internet, but there are crazies everywhere sending death threats and getting riled up because their their identity is linked so intrinsically with what they love and hate.

jett

D-Member
It's mostly the fact that the audience for this kind of stuff is largely immature and/or composed of emotionally stunted manchildren.

lazygecko

People need to have their opinions validated, and they often view professional critics as the supreme cultural arbiters whose job is to provide that for them.

If playing games is their lives and the reason they wake up every day then I think there are more serious issues than low review scores going on.

Edit - Unless it's somehow related to their profession.

No, I'll see if I can find it.

This. If games are why you live and cause you to be that defensive and angry, get help

It's entertainment, you should never have personal attachment to something like DOOM

it's a solid throwback game to the classic fps days and seems legit

7.1 is average and perfectly reasonable. They didn't give it a 3.1

Top Bottom