• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do you love Hideo Kojima? (A Confessions Thread)

Mista

Banned
He gave me my all time favorite video game series. That’s enough for me. I don’t want to go in other details

Raph64

pt_end.jpg

Because Silent Hills deserved so much more than being cancelled.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Because Metal Gear Solid is unparalleled in the gaming world for its marriage of legit espionage action and outlandishly absurd shlock.

Moochi

Metal Gear Solid 4 got me to read all the text entries and the alternate history stuff. I NEVER do that, not even with Dishonored 2, a game I love.

Arachnid

pt_end.jpg

Because Silent Hills deserved so much more than being cancelled.
You still feel it too, don't you boss?

Silent Hill, Metal Gear, Resident Evil, and Splinter Cell are my all time favorite franchises with Silent Hill edging out the others by a good bit. I don't think I'll ever be as hyped for a game as I was for Silent Hills ever again, nor as disappointed.

Hinedorf

Banned
I like Hideo far more than I like his games. For the most part I think he's a horrible writer with really awful dialogue in his games but his creativity is OFF THE CHARTS.

I will experience any Hideo Kojima game whether I like it or not, just to experience it.

I respect any artist who's committed enough to their craft to make exactly what they want and how they want it.

Roni

Gold Member
IMHO Metal Gear Solid is probably the greatest video game franchise there ever was.

It's not the most popular or the biggest.

But it's the best.

I don't even particularly like all of the anime stuff, but the rest is just so damn good I can overlook, and even enjoy, some of the more "out there" stuff because I know it's handled with such care.

And that, for me, makes his talent undeniable.

A.Romero

MGS1 was a game that changed the way I saw gaming.

MGS2 is a master piece. Gameplay is OK but the concepts behind it are just amazing.

In general I respect him for doing the best with what he had. He wanted to direct movies, he couldn't so he transformed games into the closest thing he could. That's just amazing from my perspective.

Finally, I know a lot of people is obsessed with Japanese culture but he is a perfect example of a Japanese dude obssesed with the West and that's awesome.

A.Romero

THANK YOU! Someone finally praised MGS2!

I can´t never say enough good things about the concept behind MGS2. Specially now that many of the topics touched upon the game became a real issue or are in the way of becoming an issue.

It was just amazingly forward looking.

I don't like his games that much, but I really like the way in which he actually subvert expectations (really, not in a forced political way, however he touches policy and war in his games).

kingbean

He's an auteur that makes (mostly) digestable entertainment.

MGS1 was unparalleled at the time and his and his co-writers commentary in MGS 2 is still legendary.

He made a horrible war criminal into peoples favorite character, and then tore him back down because no one should love big bosses ideologies.

Mista

Banned
I can´t never say enough good things about the concept behind MGS2. Specially now that many of the topics touched upon the game became a real issue or are in the way of becoming an issue.

It was just amazingly forward looking.
People decided to talk shit because the protagonist wasn’t Snake

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
But... I do not. I have never played a game by him I liked. MGS1, 2 and 5 were all boring in my eyes. And his story telling is over the top and not fun to me. Sorry :(.

ExpandKong

Banned
He made a game that was so awesome everyone ignored the fact that he had a middle schooler’s understanding of dominant vs recessive genetics.

Also he isn’t afraid to put hot women in revealing clothing in his games.

I rike it.

petran79

Banned
Because he is a misunderstood creator by western journalists who did not grow up with japanese computers filled with ero games

Tiamat2san

I don’t like him that much.
Too much cutscenes and pseudo philosophical bullshit that lead nowhere.
But I respect the artist, his vision , his singularity.
That’s why I keep playing his game, they always have great moments. (Between boring endless dialogues)

DonF

I feel that he and not many others are willing to takes risks, absurd risk, to move the medium forward.

I love him. And gaming would not be the same without him. MGS was the first game that made me go wow, this medium is more than mario, coins and stuff.

He is also a director, you can tell he thinks scenes as much as he thinks gameplay.

Valonquar

He's sort of like that hot ex-girlfriend you keep going back out with even though you know you will regret it later.

He was the first game director to blur the lines between film and game. I vividly remember my father watching me play MGS1 in awe, saying "it's just like a movie".

Also, he's the only "celebrity" that I've ever become starstruck for lol. I've bumped into dozens of celebrities in my life (living in NYC and working in the film industry for a time) and never had a problem. But the moment I met Kojima, I just locked up. Barely managed to ask for a photo lol

Terenty

Mgs 1 + mgs 2 + mgs 3. Theres no other series in gaming with such a streak of masterpieces one after another. Kudos to him and his team

Psajdak

Banned
Mgs 1 + mgs 2 + mgs 3. Theres no other series in gaming with such a streak of masterpieces one after another. Kudos to him and his team

Final Fantasy IV + Final Fantasy V + Final Fantasy VI + Final Fantasy VII + Final Fantasy VIII + Final Fantasy IX + Final Fantasy X.

Kojima's stroke of genius was making games that were paced like movies, the emotional ups and downs and nail biting suspense of a movie, story telling in games never captured such a cinematic feel prior to the original Metal Gear Solid.

It's kind of insane how forward thinking Kojima is, the original Metal Gear Solid stands out so much from any other game in the late 90s, then the mother fucker managed to predict present day society in 2001 with 2, then you have the survival elements in 3, think of how many "survival" games there are around today, the dude is almost always one step ahead of everyone on where games are going.

Foxbat

Banned
Kojima has made some great games, but I think he's overrated these days. He's gone Hollyweird over the last few years.

Some of his games have great narrative and focus with a ridiculous plot point. Some are akin to the ramblings of an incoherent madman.

Despite all the hype, I fully expect Death Stranding to be of the latter type. Man I hope I'm wrong though.

BlueAlpaca

I played the first four MGS games and only really liked Snake Eater, and even that had problems (control, camera, camouflage bullshit).

As for kojima personally I don't like him, he's an idiot who can't seem to have a rational thought and his games are filled with pseudo-intellectual nonsense with bits of truth here and there. From what I can tell he's a leftwing anti-American Japanese nationalist, the ground zeros game and its sympathy for Guantanamo prisoners makes that clear. like all leftists he has the liberty to express his opinion denouncing the US while enjoying wealth and freedom unprecedented in history thanks to the US. Fuck him.

Last edited:

Raph64

As for kojima personally I don't like him, he's an idiot who can't seem to have a rational thought and his games are filled with pseudo-intellectual nonsense with bits of truth here and there. From what I can tell he's a leftwing anti-American Japanese nationalist, the ground zeros game and its sympathy for Guantanamo prisoners makes that clear. like all leftists he has the liberty to express his opinion denouncing the US while enjoying wealth and freedom unprecedented in history thanks to the US. Fuck him.

giphy.gif

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Kojima is the man. One of the very best producer/directors to come out of Japan, and a true auteur in that any work that bears his name clearly shows his influence. He's a master showman and promoter, but his work has enough substance to live up to the hype, which is quite rare at the high end of the budgetary spectrum.

Top Bottom