• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do you think Playstation is Hiding their First party games?

EDMIX

Why show something fully if its not ready?

They already stated they are no longer doing reveals like that, like years and years in advance. It makes no sense, things change during development and they have no reason to prove to you that PS5 will have solid games in the future, they have a history of doing that in which they can rely on.

So I'm fine with a teaser, let the team focus on actually making a game and show us updates thru State Of Play to learn about the new IP along the way and then after a big release like Spiderman 2, Death Stranding 2 etc they can start to shift the marketing to the next big title coming that year or next year etc.

I trust and support those approach much more then "here is something you won't see for 5 fucking years and when you do, its something else" lol

They have no reason to rush the reveal, enough support by 3rd party and 2nd party exist and their focus should be on developers having the peace to develop.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Because they lack competition.
I think there's something to this as well.

Competition does inspire innovation and creativity. Iron sharpens iron etc.
Everyone ultimately benefits, especially gamers.

I sincerely hope Xbox knocks it out of the park in June and beyond.

Woopah

Which are all GaaS titles that they hyping because they currently don’t exist in that market

They are trying to sell people on GaaS

They do not need to sell you on Ghost of Tsushima 2
I would assume that game is coming later than some of the things shown today but I hope I'm wrong.

Maybe 2024 is only Death Stranding 2 and Factions

Sony's own financial report says they are only aiming for 1-2 big AAA games per year

They really should try and have closer to 4

Oh well. I hope the GAAS stuff dies in a dumpster fire and then Sony can close a few studios and reconsolidate them into making more games like God of War instead that are guaranteed to sell over 20M

Last edited:

Woopah

I was using it as an example.

They don't need to show you whatever is coming out in 2024 to sell consoles

Let's start worrying if 2024 comes around and there's not 1-2 big AAA titles from their first party.
Concord is coming next year, but yes there will be more than that.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Sony's own financial report says they are only aiming for 1-2 big AAA games per year

Oh well. I hope the GAAS stuff dies in a dumpster fire and then Sony can close a few studios and reconsolidate them into making more games like God of War instead that are guaranteed to sell over 20M

Fuck I forgot they already announced DS2.

Yeah, that and Silent Hill 2 being completely absent was bizarre.

Or they could keep those studios open to make smaller titles rather than consolidating everything into one mega title.

DarthPutin

There was a lot of CGI which... I'd be totally okay with, if they used it to finally tell us what kind of IP some of their "Alpha" studios are working on. I am already convinced they'll do a great job.

I guess Sony stuck to their guns on showing stuff that will be released relatively soon, but I wish they'd pull XBOX on this one. They have enough street cred IMO. Meanwhile, CGI from new studio like Haven tells me nothing. And why not wait then until these MP games have gameplay to show? Low-key baffling showcase.

ETA: Great point on Death Stranding and Silent Hill. And I thought TLOU Online was shoe-in, even if it's coming 2024

Last edited:
I think there's something to this as well.

Competition does inspire innovation and creativity. Iron sharpens iron etc.
Everyone ultimately benefits, especially gamers.

I sincerely hope Xbox knocks it out of the park in June and beyond.
The amount of people celebrating the failure of Xbox shows how short-sighted they are. Playstation is only going to get worse if they continue being mega-successful. I can only imagine how awful Playstation would become if Xbox no longer existed.

Yoboman

I think they have destroyed their internal marketing departments since Layden left (he was a marketing guy) and there is zero organisation in the company to adequately show off their games

To get a game ready for a showcase, you need 6-12 months of prep. A vertical slice or a gameplay trailer.

All we got was gameplay from near complete Spiderman 2. Remember it was the same for God of War Ragnarok.

The rest was CG probably ripped out of Haven/Bungie/Firewalks internal vision presentations

Long gone are the days we get an epic Horizon ZD, Days Gone, Uncharted 4 etc. gameplay sequence at a show unless that game is right next to release. There is nobody telling these Devs in May 2022 to get ready for their big reveal in May 2023

Devs aren't going to just come up with marketing themselves, but seems like that's what Sony expects.

Let's not forget how they had a PSVR2 showcase AFTER it launched if you want an example of unorganised.

So unless something drastic changes at Sony, we can get used to seeing nothing or next to nothing until those games are about 3-6 months from launching

Ironically their marketing with external devs on marketing deals has been pretty damn good. FFXVI, Deathloop some recent ones coming to mind. I can't help but wonder if that's Shuhei Yoshida's doing, being in external development now

The Alien

Banned
Bet they drop something 1st party related just before Xbox show on June 11th. That'd be a very Sony thing to do.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Because they got nothing. They are all in development hell like Microsoft Studios games. There is just no other excuse other than the fact that they are poorly managed like 343, Rare, and other studios that take forever to make video games.

Trust me if they had anything they wouldve shown it. The trash they showed at the conference was embarrassing and there is no way Jimbo was like this is good, fewer AAA games please.

There is also a possibility that after covid everyone left for better opportunities in other industries that pay better. the brain drain is real. Facebook, Salesforce, Google were all paying $300-400k to engineers with $100k signing bonuses and thats just the tech industry. the cg industry now has more business than every with dozens of streaming services competing with the movie industry. thats all of your artists and animators, gone.

How else do you explain iterative sequels like Horizon, GT7 and GOW taking 4-5 years to make?

feynoob

Banned
Because they got nothing. They are all in development hell like Microsoft Studios games. There is just no other excuse other than the fact that they are poorly managed like 343, Rare, and other studios that take forever to make video games.

Trust me if they had anything they wouldve shown it. The trash they showed at the conference was embarrassing and there is no way Jimbo was like this is good, fewer AAA games please.

There is also a possibility that after covid everyone left for better opportunities in other industries that pay better. the brain drain is real. Facebook, Salesforce, Google were all paying $300-400k to engineers with $100k signing bonuses and thats just the tech industry. the cg industry now has more business than every with dozens of streaming services competing with the movie industry. thats all of your artists and animators, gone.

How else do you explain iterative sequels like Horizon, GT7 and GOW taking 4-5 years to make?
I wouldnt be suprised if alot of devs leave their studios after making 1 AAA game. That is basically 4-5 years worth of work. Alot of people will be tired by that time.

Quantum253

The original rumoured justification for not having a showcase last year was that the content wasn’t ready.

HellDivers had a trailer ready to go months and months ago.
Haven did a CG trailer
Firewalk did a CG trailer
Bungie did a CG trailer

Only Spider-Man had gameplay.

I don’t understand why they bothered this time. Spider-Man should have had a State of Play.
Outside of the cool indy titles that most arr multi-plat anyways, it should have been a Spiderman 2 SoP and slowly released the CGI trailers throughout June/July

Astray

Gold Member
I guess the one good thing about the show is that it didn't give us any promises beyond 2024? I'm kinda struggling here tbh because some absences like Silent Hill 2 are weird af to me.

All major AAA games take about that much to make, and it's increasing even more as time passes and graphical expectations rise.

Man, what a bunch of whiners we have here daaaamn!

FFXVI & Spider-Man looked great! Those two games are huge! I’m home playing Zelda. Dragon’s Dogma 2 officially announced and it looked great! Marathon should be sick, if it’s more like a Halo campaign.

You guys acting like Gaming is dead, and I’m here hyped af

The only letdown was MGS3… not sure how to feel about it, but it didn’t hit me like I thought it would… maybe because it was leaked? Or maybe because Snake’s face looked odd? Or because it was a quick CG trailer of a game that will probably come out in 2025? It literally gave me Prince of Persia remake vibes… also, the AC Mirage looked like a let down

Edit: Marathon confirmed to be PVP only 😴

Last edited:

angrod14

Three years since the release of Part II and we have zero footage from Factions II. And remember there were multiplayer leaks already prior to the release of Part II.

Naughty Dog's absence in this show is baffling.

There isn't anything on the horizon that looks even remotely exciting. ND is GAASING, Santa Monica is doing whatever, Spidey 2 looks like an iOS game, Wolverine is farther than Elder Schrolls VI, Guerilla sucks beyond visual presentation. The rest are B tier studios that haven't done anything outstanding.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
We get these threads every time Sony does a showcase since the PS5 came out, and then certain NeoGaffers call for Jim Ryan to get fired, how Playstation is in a horrible place, how Microsoft is doing so much of a better job than Sony, bla bla bla

Yet their actual game output is still great, their hardware and software sales just keep accelerating, PSVR2 is selling better than PSVR1 and Jim Ryan is still there.
So all the aforementioned NeoGaffers are left with just waiting until the next showcase to protest again.

Sad Rabbit GIF by Muffin & Nuts

feynoob

Banned
We get these threads every time Sony does a showcase since the PS5 came out, and then certain NeoGaffers call for Jim Ryan to get fired, how Playstation is in a horrible place, how Microsoft is doing so much of a better job than Sony, bla bla bla

Yet their actual game output is still great, their hardware and software sales just keep accelerating, PSVR2 is selling better than PSVR1 and Jim Ryan is still there.
So all the aforementioned NeoGaffers are left with just waiting until the next showcase to protest again.

Sad Rabbit GIF by Muffin & Nuts
This is what happens when both companies have bad news.
Its like gamers have a case of goldfish memory.

Baki

TLOU online will be at Geoff's show.

That would be frustrating. They should have had a tease in this show. This show was sorely lacking in 1st party games.

Maybe not, it seems like Showcase fits something like this better, its showing what they have coming soon, deep in the future, hardware coming this fall etc. I think the State Of Plays fit the deep dives and update stuff maybe better. Either way, I like the shotgun approach to marketing.

At any time they can own the media cycle and just randomly announce something.

Expectations were high, specifically on seeing 1st party announcements, and I think those expectations would’ve been tempered if they had called this a State of play.

yep. it felt like two state of play glue together.
😂👍

NickFire

Im guessing we get some trailers later into summer. might be wishful thinking. Regardless, I doubt anything is coming soon post Spiderman. Not really worried though. Certainly not lacking a backlog already.

Rivet

The most baffling thing to me is why they called it a PlayStation Showcase.
They already have a format for spotlighting their 3rd party offerings & partnerships with State of Play; some of which have clocked in under an hour.

This showcase was so 3rd party heavy, and most of PlayStation Studios was MIA. Even 1st party titles that showed up didn't have much in the way of gameplay.
I understand that games take a considerable amount of time to create, especially good games. However, the marketing for this was way off.

I wouldn't consider it a complete loss, but it just felt lacking. Needed a lot more show-stoppers and captivating titles.

I guess they thought State of Play was too indie focused, which is true. We had some pretty big 3rd party announcements and nice 3rd party gameplay (MGS3, Dragon's Dogma 2, Alan Wake 2, RE4 VR, AC Mirage, FFXVI new gameplay...) that you don't get in a State of Play but yes, people obviously expected more 1st party gameplay so they felt a bit underwhelmed.

Maybe they should have said it was mostly 3rd party.

Last edited:

Loxus

The amount of people celebrating the failure of Xbox shows how short-sighted they are. Playstation is only going to get worse if they continue being mega-successful. I can only imagine how awful Playstation would become if Xbox no longer existed.
This is partly true.
Microsoft not delivering is the reason Sony had the showcase they did today.

No reason to show the games in development yet if Microsoft is the way they are now, which has me questioning Xbox's showcase.

Sleepwalker

I wouldnt be suprised if alot of devs leave their studios after making 1 AAA game. That is basically 4-5 years worth of work. Alot of people will be tired by that time.
Specially because the easiest way to make it to a higher paygrade is to just jump between jobs, this is a general rule but in the tech sector it's multiplied by 10. You can pretty much double your salary every few years.

HofT

Because Sony is on top of the mountain and ahead of the game and arrogance is taking over as usual. This is the PS3 era all over again and its pissing me off.

Microsoft sadly is not giving good competition. Jimbo will only pull out the big guns when they feel somewhat threatened.

A boring, snoozefest of a generation on both fronts honestly and COVID didn't help either.

This is a stupid generation, because everyone is trying to recoup and regroup everything after COVID. Real generation won't start until PS6/New Xbox launches. Fucking lame.
There's so much opportunity for Microsoft to pull off a 360 2 this gen. Instead, they continue to be a mess.

ProtoByte

I have been saying this for too long. "COVID".

The affect of the lockdown is showing now. Those devs missed out an entire year worth of production, due to that lockdown. Alot of games got affected by that, as they didnt have any home work plan.

The other problem is the length of game production. Games these days take 3-5 years, depending on the lenth and the type of games. With high graphic in play, that means more detailed art which consumes alot of time.
Nah, fuck that. These developers go all jittery on tw@tter and even try to galvanize unionization to avoid going back to the office, laiming thay "WFH is s0ooo much more productive!!"

Everybody else adjusted in months. You're telling me that an industry centered around computer technology stood still for a whole year? Gtfo

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Man, what a bunch of whiners we have here daaaamn!

FFXVI & Spider-Man looked great! Those two games are huge! I’m home playing Zelda. Dragon’s Dogma 2 officially announced and it looked great! Marathon should be sick, if it’s more like a Halo campaign.

You guys acting like Gaming is dead, and I’m here hyped af

The only letdown was MGS3… not sure how to feel about it, but it didn’t hit me like I thought it would… maybe because it was leaked? Or maybe because Snake’s face looked odd? Or because it was a quick CG trailer of a game that will probably come out in 2025? It literally gave me Prince of Persia remake vibes… also, the AC Mirage looked like a let down

Its kinda nutty how high people's expectations are.

That 10min long Spiderman 2 demo was an astronomical amount of work and yet this blasé reaction... WTF were some people expecting ?

It feels like if a game isn't photo-realistic or like off-line rendered CG then there's a perception that the hardware isn't being used to its fullest or is somehow lazy?
And then they wonder why publishers resort to using flashy cinematics with footage that isn't actual gameplay to announce their upcoming releases!

Yoboman

I don't know about development hell, it's possible

More likely is Sony has no marketing, no direction on that front, so nobody is making these devs produce marketing material ready for a big showcase

feynoob

Banned
Nah, fuck that. These developers go all jittery on tw@tter and even try to galvanize unionization to avoid going back to the office, laiming thay "WFH is s0ooo much more productive!!"

Everybody else adjusted in months. You're telling me that an industry centered around computer technology stood still for a whole year? Gtfo
What do you think? That its easy to make games? Game production is a group work and needs constant communication.
I get that you are the "in my days, we used to work hard" type of guys, but that doesnt mean you can get your production faster. The entire world stopped for months. That is alot of valuable work lost in the process.

Astray

Gold Member
It felt like a bad joke, a big one. When and where are they going to show Ronin, Stellar Blade, DS2 and LSA again, a SOP? A blog post?
I'm guessing we will see more on Geoff's show?

But honestly your guess is as good as mine here. Genuinely baffled by this show.

Top Bottom