• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do you think Playstation is Hiding their First party games?

feynoob

Banned
I don't know about development hell, it's possible

More likely is Sony has no marketing, no direction on that front, so nobody is making these devs produce marketing material ready for a big showcase
Its the pressure of success. Sony elevated their studios with those high quality production. Now they need to up the limit.
But as we know, its hard to surpass certain limits. So the pressure is very high on them. and any mistakes can hurt their image, so they need to be careful.

ProtoByte

Has the 4K version dropped yet or we still only got the sub-1080p one?
I watched it in poor quality, but the visuals aren't really what I'm talking about.
The environment definitely looked more detailed than Miles Morales, and the black suit/npc models were the only things that I sill say should look significantly better. I expect a lot more polish on the black suit before launch - and I think a February 2024 date is not unwelcome unless this is a pretty old build.

That said, what really disappointed me was the gameplay. It's still working on the same scale; the aerial combat doesn't look to have been upgraded, there's no wall combat, the environment looks just as mildly relevant to encounters as it did in Spider-Man PS4, the black suit does not look transformative to Parker's gameplay, there's no destruction, there's no high number of NPCs, and the setpiece moments still rely on canned animations. I mean, Web of Shadows is right there, and should've been reference #1. Beyond that, I was expecting a gameplah jump similar to Drake's Deception to A Thief's End.

JimRyanGOAT

Because they have nothing ready to show. This would've been the day to show what they have.

I
Maybe 2024 is only Death Stranding 2 and Factions

Sony's own financial report says they are only aiming for 1-2 big AAA games per year

They really should try and have closer to 4

Oh well. I hope the GAAS stuff dies in a dumpster fire and then Sony can close a few studios and reconsolidate them into making more games like God of War instead that are guaranteed to sell over 20M

See the thing is, theres no problems with GAAS.

I just expect that Sony quality to carry over, but so far everything from their main studios to GAAS titles are being hidden still

platina

Because the games aren't ready to show.
When is ready? 2 years not enough to show something that’s not cgi? What happened to “time to triangle” it’s not like this damn cpu is exotic like the cell? This is what I really don’t understand, development should be soooo much easier compared to before especially with all the procedural crap and ue5. They couldn’t put together something nice?

Yoboman

gamers complain when games are announced too early but then they complain that games haven’t been announced yet 🤷🏼‍♂️
Too early has only ever been an issue when you've got no games currently coming out

Sony frequently revealed games 3 or so years before release last gen without much complaint

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
They have Final Fantasy 16 and Spider-Man 2 coming up, so they probably don't feel like they have to show much from their first-party studios right now.

Let's not forget that Death Stranding 2 was revealed not too long ago.

That being said, the show was a huge disappointment. I hope when they reveal Fractions, we see actual gameplay with an early 2024 release date.

Yoboman

When is ready? 2 years not enough to show something that’s not cgi? What happened to “time to triangle” it’s not like this damn cpu is exotic like the cell? This is what I really don’t understand, development should be soooo much easier compared to before especially with all the procedural crap and ue5. They couldn’t put together something nice?
You need a vertical slice to show gameplay. Basically a complete portion of the game

Sony fired most of their marketing team. There is nobody putting marketing pipelines in for developers to have their games ready to show

Ragnarok and Spiderman 2 were basically complete games before being shown

Sanepar

Maybe development hell? What Bend is doing for 4 years? Media Molecule? 3 years and Bluepoint has nothing to show? Asobi Team? Guerrilla 2nd team is doing what? London Studio? What about Factions? The worst for me is Naughty Dog consumed 3 years and probably 4 on a MP project. All their new games today are MP. I'm starting to be worried and 2 fp games per year is just ridiculous.

Yoboman

Is there a source for this? I genuinely want to know.
They went through some restructures a few years ago around 2019

There were rumours of a power struggle between Layden and Ryan, and Layden and supporters eventually ousted. Nothing proven there though.

They've also gone through further layoffs

Layoffs 2019:

Layoffs 2022:

graywolf323

Gold Member
Too early has only ever been an issue when you've got no games currently coming out

Sony frequently revealed games 3 or so years before release last gen without much complaint
eh? there were tons of complaints, they got made fun of for it & this change in reveals from Sony has been in direct response to the criticism from fans

Last edited:

Katajx

Gold Member
It’s year 3 and sales are booming. This is the time to churn out the games and keep the train moving.

It almost sounds silly to complain about since there has been R&C, will be 2 spider-man games, a god of war, and a horizon.

I think the spacing is the problem and thank goodness for the third parties to fill in the holes. Dragon’s Dogma 2 and FF16 looked good.

The MGS reveal was disappointing that it showed so little, and no Rebirth because we probably won’t see much until after 16 is out which seems to be SE’s marketing since at least the 15 days.

Another Teaser for Wolverine would have been appreciated even with it being further out. There are games. They just aren’t showing them. I would say the 3rd party state of play was the best showing last year, and I hope this isn’t the same.

I’m also baffled that Sony went first. Maybe since some of the games were announced we can get some more stuff at the SGF?

EDMIX

Expectations were high, specifically on seeing 1st party announcements, and I think those expectations would’ve been tempered if they had called this a State of play.

Nah, expectations where set to complete fucking fanfiction by those that imagined some wild thing where their favorite game of all time was revealed.

MGS3 remake, MGS Collection, Marathon reveal, Dragons Dogma 2, Street Fighter 6 trailer , Granblue Fantasy, Final Fantasy XVI trailer, AC Mirage trailer, Alan Wake II, Spiderman 2 and several AAA new IPs, I don't know what to fucking tell you at this point.

What other thing should have been here? Majority of the front page of Gaf is literally just talking about the games revealed here, I don't see anything wrong with this reveal. This is much larger in scope then State Of Play and I believe they'll reserve those for updates and deeper demos of upcoming titles.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
If you wasn't interested in getting a PS5 after the 2021 showcase then the 2023 one wouldn't have tempted you either because nothing has changed and nothing is new.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Well, I guess when Ryan said he wanted to make noise and send a statement, no one guessed the statement was: "Wait for next year."

All joking aside, I guess Sony figured with Spider-man 2 and Final Fantasy FFXVI, what more did they need? If Nintendo can take E3 with nothing by Breath of the Wild, surely these two big sequels will make this PS5's best show yet. Much like with Microsoft, I figured this far into the generation, we'll start seeing Sony's real next-gen showcases. Here's hoping Microsoft has more than just Starfield and Forza.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Well, I guess when Ryan said he wanted to make noise and send a statement, no one guessed the statement was: "Wait for next year."

If the objective was to make noise, they were groans at best.

All joking aside, I guess Sony figured with Spider-man 2 and Final Fantasy FFXVI, what more did they need? If Nintendo can take E3 with nothing by Breath of the Wild, surely these two big sequels will make this PS5's best show yet. Much like with Microsoft, I figured this far into the generation, we'll start seeing Sony's real next-gen showcases. Here's hoping Microsoft has more than just Starfield and Forza.

The thing is what they showed here, it could all have occupied a state of play or two across the last 2 months easily. You expect a little more bombast than just 1 big first party AAA game at an E3 equivalent show.

That being said watch MS completely fuck up and people to re-quote this post mid June lol.

Last edited:

Solarstrike

Because players will need some reasons to buy a PS5 Pro

Close Up Flirting GIF

Thirty7ven

Banned

It’s crazy that they went from showing real time/ in engine footage of the type of games their fanbase wants to CGI trailers of style of games their fanbase hasn’t been clamoring for.

No clear indication of what’s coming next year at all. Third parties and Spider Man 2 doing all the work this year.

Hope Xbox turns on the heat real bad.

Neolombax

I think its more because those games aren't ready.

Or maybe there just isn't much competition right now, so theres no need to reveal their cards just yet? Maybe FFXI and Spiderman 2 is enough to carry Sony until next year?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Nah, expectations where set to complete fucking fanfiction by those that imagined some wild thing where their favorite game of all time was revealed.

MGS3 remake, MGS Collection, Marathon reveal, Dragons Dogma 2, Street Fighter 6 trailer , Granblue Fantasy, Final Fantasy XVI trailer, AC Mirage trailer, Alan Wake II, Spiderman 2 and several AAA new IPs, I don't know what to fucking tell you at this point.
Its a PlayStation Showcase. Not a State of Play. This was a 10/10 show if its a SOP.

But this ... This is their E3 replacement.

No one is tuning in for fucking 3rd party reveals, and indie/AA trash.

We expect to see AAA 1st Party games at a PS Showcase. Period point blank.

Typically when we shouldnt epect that, they come out before hand and let us know to adjust our expectations. (God of War wont be here. No PS5 info here. etc, they've done it many times)

Especially after nearly 2 years without a single new 1st party game announcement.

Show was a complete failure because they showed 1 first party game with gameplay. That game being the only game we knew about for the past 2 years. Nothing new.

Santa Monica
Naughty Dog
Bend
Sucker Punch
Team Asobi
Bluepoint
San Diego

All no shows. They are why majority of the people even tuned in to the show.

Last edited:

EDMIX

No one is tuning in for fucking 3rd party reveals, and indie/AA trash.
The event is literally called Playstation Showcase, its about games that will be on Playstation, so.......they care enough for those games to break huge records and support the install base of PS, I don't see anything to support "No one is tuning in" for 3rd party titles.

Show was a complete failure because they showed 1 first party game with gameplay. That game being the only game we knew about for the past 2 years. Nothing new.

They showed several new IP, they want to only show gameplay when those games are ready and their other big titles have actually released, as to why you saw a big Spiderman 2 reveal, after God Of War Ragnarok.

All no shows. They are why majority of the people even tuned in to the show

I don't know about all that now lol I turned in to see what new games will be on PS5, regardless if its by Sony or not. When Naughty Dog, Sony Bend, Sony Santa Monica and many more are ready to show their games and release them, I'll be ready to buy if they look good.

I don't know what to tell you man, this isn't worth crying over, I don't see how anyone would loose sleep over this and who the fuck is buying a game based on WHEN they are revealed vs the actual quality and subsistence of the game itself?

Play games, not trailers.

ZehDon

Gold Member
The thing is what they showed here, it could all have occupied a state of play or two across the last 2 months easily. You expect a little more bombast than just 1 big first party AAA game at an E3 equivalent show.
Much like with Microsoft, I think Sony really believed they'd knocked it out of the park here. They've stated in their recent report they're aiming for two big releases every year. This is their "phase 2" strategy played out: two big exclusives, lots of new announcements, and new hardware. I bet there's a lot of head scratching going on for Sony right now.
That being said watch MS completely fuck up and people to re-quote this post mid June lol.
Well, apart from Starfield and Forza, we don't really know what else is happening with their other developers. All they need to do is show off one new AAA game that looks good, and they win by default. But, if anyone can fuck up a home run, it's Microsoft.
Open the show with a full match of Halo Infinite's Battle Royale mode complete with cringe esports commentary, transition into a Sarah Bond PR monologue that goes on for far too long, forty minutes of overly long trailers for 2D metroidvania soulslike lovecraft-inspired indie games, logo reveal for Indiana Jones which lists it as a cross gen title, close out with a "one more thing" to show us 30 FPS gameplay of Perfect Dark that reveals its borderlands-esque artstyle and its marvel-tier quips from NPCs that.do.not.ever.stop.talking. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory is their MO at this point :D

Last edited:

XesqueVara

Much like with Microsoft, I think Sony really believed they'd knocked it out of the park here. They've stated in their recent report they're aiming for two big releases every year. This is their "phase 2" strategy played out: two big exclusives, lots of new announcements, and new hardware. I bet there's a lot of head scratching going on for Sony right now.

Well, apart from Starfield and Forza, we don't really know what else is happening with their other developers. All they need to do is show off one new AAA game that looks good, and they win by default. But, if anyone can fuck up a home run, it's Microsoft.
Open the show with a full match of Halo Infinite's Battle Royale mode complete with cringe esports commentary, transition into a Sarah Bond PR monologue that goes on for far too long, forty minutes of overly long trailers for 2D metroidvania soulslike lovecraft-inspired indie games, logo reveal for Indiana Jones which lists it as a cross gen title, close out with a "one more thing" to show us 30 FPS gameplay of Perfect Dark that reveals its borderlands-esque artstyle and its marvel-tier quips from NPCs that.do.not.ever.stop.talking. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory is their MO at this point :D
Must say tho if they manage to fumble this chance i would be impressed, Like they just need to show some Avowed and Hellblade 2 Gameplay and that along with Starfield and Forza should do the job.

Last edited:

There were rumours of a power struggle between Layden and Ryan, and Layden and supporters eventually ousted. Nothing proven there though.

Layoffs 2019:

Layoffs 2022:

AND ?!!

Who the fuck did they replace them with? 5th graders?

Madflavor

Game development has ballooned massively. You go back to even the 7th gen (PS3/360 Era) and you usually waited 2-3 years between new releases for your favorite franchises. Nowadays it takes much longer than that. Not defending Sony's showcase. It was not a good show. But they simply just didn't have much to show off because the big AAA first party games just aren't ready.

This is part of why it's incredibly frustrating watching some gamers bitch and moan on a regular basis about how some new AAA games not meeting their standards for acceptable graphics. There's a serious price we're starting to pay for the constant push for better and better graphics. We used to get Trilogies of new IPs in a single console generation. Now publishers are afraid to take risks due to the insane cost of game development, and you miiight get two games within the same franchise per generation now.

I see a lot of people saying because they aren't ready, and I just find that as complete nonsense. Idk if there is an exact number but it seemed like at least half the games had that stupid "not actual gameplay' tag. I'm sure Sony could have announced some of what their first parties through some CGI trailer if they wanted.

Why they didn't, no clue. It's truly one of the most baffling shows I've ever seen from a first party. What was the point of this and who was this for? This was literally two state of plays basically formed into one, and I wouldn't even think they were very good state of plays at that.

I don't usually worry about Sony's first party because they have decades of great results, with almost never long droughts. Not to say every year is great, but they pretty much never have multiple bad years back to back. I'd be lying to say if I wasn't a little concerned at the moment. Wtf are their first parties doing.

We still have no idea what fractions is at this point, I'd also be shocked if it released before 2025. Bend and MM haven't released anything in 4 and 3 years respectively and we have no idea what they are on. Even Bluepoint is approaching their third year since Demon Souls dropped and nada from them. Just a complete and total failure of a show.

Yoboman

Sucker Punch
Released Infamous SS in 2014
Ghost of Tsushima revealed 2017
Released 2020

Naughty Dog
Released Uncharted 4 2016
Revealed TLOU2 2016
Released 2020

Bluepoint Games
Released Shadow of the Colossus released 2018
Demons Souls Remake revealed 2020
Released 2020

Bend Studios
Development on Days Gone started 2015
Revealed Days Gone 2016
Released 2019

Compared to

Insomniac Games
Spiderman 2018
Miles Morales 2020
Ratchet 2021
Spiderman 2 - 2023
Wolverine - 2024?

We are at the point where these games should at minimum be getting revealed if not close to released

Something has happened to the output of these studios, and I wonder if enough pressure from above is coming throughm Yes games are getting more complex but they are also scaling up at the same time, and Insomniac is an example that you can deal with that

That or Sony just can't be arsed with marketing efficiently

platina

Layoffs 2019:

Layoffs 2022:
This is actually worrying

th4tguy

Because most of what’s in the works are live service games which take forever to get to a state where they can be released.

supernova8

Banned
I think it's a mix of

1) them being waaaay out in the lead
2) wanting their lineup to look as shit as possible (without actually being shit) for the purposes of blocking the Microsoft deal

This is why I said in the M&A thread that I kinda hope Microsoft successfully buys ActiBliz, because it might be the kick in the teeth Sony needs to stop them from being arrogant shitheads.

Godot25

Banned
Why are people trying to overthink it?
They did not show first-party games because those games just were not ready to show. It's just that plain and simple. Nothing complicated.

Funny thing is, that I wrote about that few months ago and got laugh from Sony boys around here who thought that PlayStation Studios had some magic bullet for game development. I wrote that game development is getting longer and longer and since Sony had really strong 2019-2022 it's just obvious that there will be some deaf period considering that you need 5+ years to make AAA game, especially when you are making new IP.
Just think about that

Bend - their project only got greenlit at the start of 2021
Sucker Punch - supported Ghost of Tsushima long after release, and game itself was released in 2020
Bluepoint - remake studio trying to make original game. Demon Souls was out in 2020
Sony Santa Monica - had their hands full with Ragnarok and that certainly got priority even if they are making new IP
Naught Dog - TLOU 2 in 2020, TLOU 1 remake in 2022, Factions not being ready to show was only real surprise
Guerrilla - Forbidden West was out in 2022 and they also made expansion
Housemarque - Returnal was out in 2021

Duchess

It could be that Sony is planning a much bigger show for the autumn, where we'll get to see all these first party games, alongside that fabled PS5 hardware revision.

That would actually make sense.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Momentum is on their side
Hardware sales are great

Save the ammo for when you need it.

Probably this. We ALL need to root for Microsoft and Xbox at this point to bring it next month. And then continue that energy througout the year. Jimbo is too wack to understand how to reach the hearts of gamers. He's just a penny pusher.

StueyDuck

They clearly aren't ready yet.

Which proves all these fake ass numb nut insiders are just full of shit.

"GEt reAdY fOr PhaSE 2" what a bunch of morons the lot of them.

Still waiting for that sly game and all those Konami exclusives speshal idiot I mean speshal nick 🤣 and ol jezzy doodoo

Top Bottom