• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do you think Playstation is Hiding their First party games?

GymWolf

You know your showcase is absolute shit when you get "saved" by third parties...

I have no fucking idea what all the sony teams are doing, they should all have vertical slices of their next projects.

Go_Ly_Dow

Sucker Punch
Released Infamous SS in 2014
Ghost of Tsushima revealed 2017
Released 2020

Naughty Dog
Released Uncharted 4 2016
Revealed TLOU2 2016
Released 2020

Bluepoint Games
Released Shadow of the Colossus released 2018
Demons Souls Remake revealed 2020
Released 2020

Bend Studios
Development on Days Gone started 2015
Revealed Days Gone 2016
Released 2019

Compared to

Insomniac Games
Spiderman 2018
Miles Morales 2020
Ratchet 2021
Spiderman 2 - 2023
Wolverine - 2024?

We are at the point where these games should at minimum be getting revealed if not close to released

Something has happened to the output of these studios, and I wonder if enough pressure from above is coming throughm Yes games are getting more complex but they are also scaling up at the same time, and Insomniac is an example that you can deal with that

That or Sony just can't be arsed with marketing efficiently

What's happened is obsession over graphics. Where if a game has a low res texture or two you get trolls in the boards focusing in on that everyday until release.

So, if you want games that look like Horizon FB, TLOU 2 and better, then you're gonna have to wait a very long time for them and also expect a lower output of games from the studio.

Three

I think it's clear nobody cares about smaller games. It's why Sony doesn't do them anymore.

Just make nothing but AAA bangers like God of War.
They do but people just don't know they exist because they don't actually care about them. They only use it to show some kind of "change" in a corporation fueled by nostalgia. Look at Sword of the Sea, nobody is talking about it because it's a small game. People don't actually care, they just act like they do.

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
Much like with Microsoft, I think Sony really believed they'd knocked it out of the park here. They've stated in their recent report they're aiming for two big releases every year. This is their "phase 2" strategy played out: two big exclusives, lots of new announcements, and new hardware. I bet there's a lot of head scratching going on for Sony right now.
Reminds me a lot of Intel's tick-tock product strategy, which was basically slowing down their tech advancement to milk everything they could, which worked for a long-ass time right until the competition sorted its shit out and now their market share is getting devoured HARD.

Camreezie

After looking at the SpiderMan 2 showcase demo, it looks like it needs a good amount of time in the oven before it's ready, and I can definitely see it being pushed to 2024. That means Wolverine is nowhere near ready to show and shouldn't be expected until late 2025 at the earliest.

Sony Santa Monica just released God of War Ragnarok this past winter so whatever they are working on is just barely starting full production and shouldn't be expected until 2026 at the earliest.

Same deal with Guerrilla Games. They just released their title a few months ago and we shouldn't expect any new game announcement from them for years to come.
Thats all well and good but Sucker Punch, Housemarque, Bend and Naughty Dog have all not released or revealed new games in years

All they need to do is show off one new AAA game that looks good, and they win by default. But, if anyone can fuck up a home run, it's Microsoft

Sony showed off a few new AAA games that looked good, the problem is that most of them were CG teasers or not technically first party.

I dunno how MS showing one new AAA is a “home run”

All MS needs to do for a better conference is show off Fable, Avowed, PD, Hellblade 2, and Everwild gameplay …stuff they’ve announced for years. They don’t even need new game reveals if all those show up and look good

Last edited:

ProtoByte

I think it's clear nobody cares about smaller games. It's why Sony doesn't do them anymore.

Just make nothing but AAA bangers like God of War.
But the plurality of that showcase was dedicated to artsy fartsy indie shit that nobody cares about.

Fuck you guys who have complained about Sony's "formula" of AAA, narrative driven single player games. Now, we don't have it, and most of you are bitching.

John Wick

Yeah sure but you don't slow down when you're ahead and allow your opponent to catch up.

The fact PS is killing it right now should mean they load up on the ammo and start firing on all cylinders.
Why? They have FF16 due soon. Then the holiday 3rd party games like Fifa, Cod, Assassins Creed etc will arrive and Spiderman 2. There is also Helldivers 2 and other smaller games.
Why blow your load now?
Also let's see how the MS showcase plays out. They are holding things in reserve just incase.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I think they have already covered it for this year. It’s not looking any better for their competitor. Their are more shows this year and they only showed games which might release in the next 12 months.

John Wick

Because Sony is on top of the mountain and ahead of the game and arrogance is taking over as usual. This is the PS3 era all over again and its pissing me off.

Microsoft sadly is not giving good competition. Jimbo will only pull out the big guns when they feel somewhat threatened.

A boring, snoozefest of a generation on both fronts honestly and COVID didn't help either.

This is a stupid generation, because everyone is trying to recoup and regroup everything after COVID. Real generation won't start until PS6/New Xbox launches. Fucking lame.
How are they arrogant? Just because they didn't blow their load in one showcase?
They can do State of Play whenever they need to show a banger.

X-Wing

Because readying demo's and trailers for showcases puts extra pressure on the teams. Pressure that they don't need.
They will show something when they feel comfortable about showing something.
Even without major announcements PlayStation is doing commercially fine, so no pressure needed.

Famipan

I think they want to keep a low profile until the Blizzard case has finished.

They are probably also saving more stuff for the PS5 Pro reveal later this year.

Having released a lot of strong first party titles they don’t want to push forward SP-games before they are ready. Many games has large changes in the last two years so the only option would be to show some CGI trailer which makes fans just disappointed. And even CGI trailers may show stuff not in final product which may lead to disappointment.
There were lots of CGI here too but it was mostly 3rd party and GAAS.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

Why? They have FF16 due soon. Then the holiday 3rd party games like Fifa, Cod, Assassins Creed etc will arrive and Spiderman 2. There is also Helldivers 2 and other smaller games.
Why blow your load now?
Also let's see how the MS showcase plays out. They are holding things in reserve just incase.

I tend to agree.

I do wonder if there will another showcase towards the end of the summer that focuses on games for 2024.

Hopes were high because we hadn’t had Showcase for 18 months, but perhaps we will return to the normal situation of having 2 or 3 of these a year. This was predominantly 3rd party, hopefully next one is more 1st party focussed.

Banjo64

cumsessed
We’ll get nothing from Polyphony, SM & GG for 6 years.

ND’s next single player game is probably 4 years away.

Sucker Punch, probably 2-3 years away.

What could they actually show apart from Factions? I’m seriously worried about the next 2 years for PlayStation.

Death Stranding 2 will most likely show up at Summer Game Fest, and maybe Rise of Ronin too? Both of those are 2024 PS5 exclusives. Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is also early 2024, with Wolverine possibly releasing late 2024. That's a really solid lineup if all those games release

It sucks Factions wasn't there, but I think Naughty Dog is playing things close to the chest. They've mentioned how they won't repeat the mistakes of the past with putting extra pressure on developers. They could potentially announce and release the game within a month because it's a GAAS title

Sony overall, didn't show really anything past 2024, as they themselves have completely changed their marketing from previous generations. They no longer teasing games that are years out

Elog

I think Jim - unfortunately - is thinking tactically about this. He has the momentum - as long as he pulls off an ok showcase (which he did), he is good. Now he can see where MS lands during the summer. He has a lot of dry gunpowder to use if need be after the MS show and when Starfield is about to launch.

This is what happens when competition is weak. I do not believe all Sony 1st party studios have been standing still for one second.

John Wick

When is ready? 2 years not enough to show something that’s not cgi? What happened to “time to triangle” it’s not like this damn cpu is exotic like the cell? This is what I really don’t understand, development should be soooo much easier compared to before especially with all the procedural crap and ue5. They couldn’t put together something nice?
Because Internet bitches whinge and moan when they see alpha footage.
Maybe some of you need to wake up. The old E3 format of showing games years in advance is finished. Sony have State of Play to show what and when they need to. There are two big games due this year FF16 and Spiderman 2. Along with smaller titles and surprises and 3rd party marketed games like AC.

Woopah

They were very selective in what they showed. The big games will get their own State of Play reveals.
Maybe that will be the case in the future, but it definitely hasn't been so far.

There has been 10+ Sony published PS5 games announced in their Showcases, including 4 more in the one last night.

Has any Sony published PS5 game been announced in a State of Play apart from Rise of the Ronin? I could be forgetting something.

Sucker Punch
Released Infamous SS in 2014
Ghost of Tsushima revealed 2017
Released 2020

Naughty Dog
Released Uncharted 4 2016
Revealed TLOU2 2016
Released 2020

Bluepoint Games
Released Shadow of the Colossus released 2018
Demons Souls Remake revealed 2020
Released 2020

Bend Studios
Development on Days Gone started 2015
Revealed Days Gone 2016
Released 2019

Compared to

Insomniac Games
Spiderman 2018
Miles Morales 2020
Ratchet 2021
Spiderman 2 - 2023
Wolverine - 2024?

We are at the point where these games should at minimum be getting revealed if not close to released

Something has happened to the output of these studios, and I wonder if enough pressure from above is coming throughm Yes games are getting more complex but they are also scaling up at the same time, and Insomniac is an example that you can deal with that

That or Sony just can't be arsed with marketing efficiently
Look at HFW and GOWR. HFW was announced in mid 2020 and was expected to release in 2021. GOWR was announced in late 2020 with a 2021 release date. Sony is no longer announcing games that are more than 1.5 years away. The marketing has completely changed.

Sucker Punch and Bluepoint's next game should ideally take 4-5 years of development time. 6 months or so should be added to that estimate due to covid as well. Sony isn't announcing games 2+ years away anymore. Both Sucker Punch and Blue Point could be right on track with those estimates, given Sony's announced to release window

Naughty Dog is expected to reveal Factions this year, as stated by its president. It's a GAAS game, so it's release could be imminent after it's reveal. Also, Bend Studio was a support studio until recently. Their new IP most likely just recently began full production, so 2026-7

Imo, I prefer the announcement of a game being developed.
It give the consumers something to look forward to, even if the release date is 3+ years.

I'm not a fan of guessing.
We know they have games in development, but the wait for an announcement is a killer.
When the creation of a little trailer is too much of a hassle for a couple hundred men strong dev team, you could film a short behind the scenes look, interview a dev or something just anything would be enough to give an update and keep people entertained. I don't understand the gameplay or nothing mentality. Games far out and ones that release within the next couple months should balance each other out every time.

Woopah

Look at HFW and GOWR. HFW was announced in mid 2020 and was expected to release in 2021. GOWR was announced in late 2020 with a 2021 release date. Sony is no longer announcing games that are more than 1.5 years away. The marketing has completely changed.

Sucker Punch and Bluepoint's next game should ideally take 4-5 years of development time. 6 months or so should be added to that estimate due to covid as well. Sony isn't announcing games 2+ years away anymore. Both Sucker Punch and Blue Point could be right on track with those estimates, given Sony's announced to release window

Naughty Dog is expected to reveal Factions this year, as stated by its president. It's a GAAS game, so it's release could be imminent after it's reveal. Also, Bend Studio was a support studio until recently. Their new IP most likely just recently began full production, so 2026-7
I wouldn't say it has completely changed, Sony has announced several games they are publishing that will come out more than 1.5 years after release:

Spiderman 2
Wolverine
KOTOR remake
Marathon

And that's if you don't count God of War Ragnarok, Horizon 2 and GT7.

We don't know yet if Death Stranding 2, Rise of the Ronin and Fairgame will release within 1.5 years of announcement, but I'm not too convinced all of them will.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is partly true.
Microsoft not delivering is the reason Sony had the showcase they did today.

No reason to show the games in development yet if Microsoft is the way they are now, which has me questioning Xbox's showcase.

Damn you Microsoft! You're even the reason that Sony is shit now!!

Damn youuuuuu!

Seriously, if you honestly believe the crazy gymnastics your mind just did....Now imagine if Microsoft left gaming and Sony were free to do what they want?

Last edited:

saintjules

The original rumoured justification for not having a showcase last year was that the content wasn’t ready.

HellDivers had a trailer ready to go months and months ago.
Haven did a CG trailer
Firewalk did a CG trailer
Bungie did a CG trailer

Only Spider-Man had gameplay.

I don’t understand why they bothered this time. Spider-Man should have had a State of Play.

There wasnt anything from Spider-Man yesterday to warrant a solo SOP this far out. I expect one closer to release.

I wouldn't say it has completely changed, Sony has announced several games they are publishing that will come out more than 1.5 years after release:

Spiderman 2
Wolverine
KOTOR remake
Marathon

And that's if you don't count God of War Ragnarok, Horizon 2 and GT7.

We don't know yet if Death Stranding 2, Rise of the Ronin and Fairgame will release within 1.5 years of announcement, but I'm not too convinced all of them will.
I think Disney partnership is the reason why Spiderman 2, Wolverine, and KOTOR all got announced early. I don't think Sony would announce these games, especially KOTOR, without pressure from Disney. And Bungie acts completely independent of Sony, so that should not mean much

Woopah

I think Disney partnership is the reason why Spiderman 2, Wolverine, and KOTOR all got announced early. I don't think Sony would announce these games, especially KOTOR, without pressure from Disney. And Bungie acts completely independent of Sony, so that should not mean much
Possibly but we have no proof or evidence pointing to that Disney strategy, especially as Sony is still the publisher. They are also the publisher for Marathon and therefore in charge of marketing.

I don't see a big difference in how those games were announced compared to how Fairgame and Death Stranding 2 were announced (CG trailer, most with no date).

There wasnt anything from Spider-Man yesterday to warrant a solo SOP this far out. I expect one closer to release.
Then the showcase shouldn’t have happened. It’s massively backfired and given the initiative to Xbox.

Being quiet for so long and then underwhelming everyone is either an act or arrogance or stupidity.

xrnzaaas

There's nothing worse than announcing a game that's at least 2-3 years away. I was surprised they announced Wolverine so early, but other than that let the studios develop in peace until they're ready to show something.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
Why OP assumes they are hiding? Perhaps they don’t have anything to show. Perhaps the development of such games isn’t going well. Perhaps they are ugly as fuck. Perhaps they aren’t interesting. Perhaps they are so delayed that they won’t show up until 2025.

Loxus

Damn you Microsoft! You're even the reason that Sony is shit now!!

Damn youuuuuu!

Seriously, if you honestly believe the crazy gymnastics your mind just did....Now imagine if Microsoft left gaming and Sony were free to do what they want?
If Microsoft shows GTA 6 or an unannounced Super hero game at their upcoming even, Sony would be forced to show an unannounced exclusive to maintain their momentum.

This is what I meant, Microsoft isn't giving Sony a reason to announce games years out.

Possibly but we have no proof or evidence pointing to that Disney strategy, especially as Sony is still the publisher. They are also the publisher for Marathon and therefore in charge of marketing.

I don't see a big difference in how those games were announced compared to how Fairgame and Death Stranding 2 were announced (CG trailer, most with no date).
What evidence do you need? It's not like Sony will ever come out and say that Disney pushed them to announce KOTOR before the game ever began full production. Sony never does that shit on their own, so where do you think that came from? Death Stranding 2 getting an announcement in December of 2022 for a 2024 release is in line with HFW and GODR announcement strategy. Fairgame will most likely come out within the next year or year and a half. And Sony will not publish Bungie games, Bungie will. Bungie is independent and surely gets to decide to when to announce its own games

Camreezie

We’ll get nothing from Polyphony, SM & GG for 6 years.

ND’s next single player game is probably 4 years away.

Sucker Punch, probably 2-3 years away.

What could they actually show apart from Factions? I’m seriously worried about the next 2 years for PlayStation.
Any game taking 6 years is excessive. These dev cycles are getting fucking ridiculous

Any game taking 6 years is excessive. These dev cycles are getting fucking ridiculous
And lets be honest, its not because they need that much time. Few devs take that long. Usually for groundbreaking, tech showcase titles.Theres other factors involved, and its mainly a money thing.

That and many of them found ways tk monetize the same game for an extended period of time.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If Microsoft shows GTA 6 or an unannounced Super hero game at their upcoming even, Sony would be forced to show an unannounced exclusive to maintain their momentum.

This is what I meant, Microsoft isn't giving Sony a reason to announce games years out.

So, Sony only responds to Microsoft and doesn't lead?

Sounds like a true market leader to me.

This show was 2 years in the making and was bobbins...I'm not accepting any excuse that it's microsofts fault that Jim Ryan can't string two sentences together without editing.

JCK75

I don't know what makes you think they're hiding anything. Few months back I made the comment that I feel like Sony blew their load early with the ps5.. It's benefited them enormously but I don't see what they have to offer after that.

Its simple.... They can only show so many live service games at a time.
Don't worry we'll get to see all those first party live service games they are working on as soon as these others fail.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
They have no pressure to show anything worthwhile. The console is selling record numbers without those announcements.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Probably because they are at least a year away from being ready to be shown, I highly doubt we will get any major Sony first party game next year, maybe Death Stranding but no Naughty Dog or Sucker Punch or Santa Monica, because if those games were ready to be released in a 20 months window they would have shown it.

Sony Fanboys, I know you guys are a bit jumpy today but you don't need to come after me, this is just my assumption.

Top Bottom