• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does action figures suck these days? Do they even exist?

1917fe0e94d7d3779983467d9a5c9a5b--exo-pilots.jpg

The amount of articulation in Exo-Squad toys was pretty crazy.

It's a bummer that the cartoon series never progressed to the alien plot line that it was moving forward with.

$20 toy action figures were always shit even back in the day. Nowadays the collector brands have licenses for the most popular characters. Also back in the day, you had to spend a pretty penny for those real popular and big toys like the star wars diaramas, ninja turtles and their van etc. Only difference now is that we grew up and treat it like a collection but doesnt mean people out there dont buy those same figures for their kids to play. After all they got like bazillion articulation points and are of high quality. What I think is missing in this generation is diecast toys. But I get it, its expensive to make and kids can bash someone head with them. Heres a few I have in my room. Sure, they arent below $100 each but there def is a shit ton of awesome action figures, more then there ever was when we were kids:

jGHU598.jpg

Children get a smartphone shoved in their hands before they can walk these days, and get addicted to the stimulus that gives them instead of playing and imagining.

Combine that with the fact that you can't make action figures or cartoons boys would like and want to emulate in play because it's 'toxic masculinity', and you can't make dolls and cartoons girls would like because it's 'sexist', then we're left with the toy industry of today, basically dead.

iconmaster iconmaster

Actually its MPP-10. Its a knock off but the Chinese are making crazy good KOs and for me more importantly, their size. They are all 30cm+ Its around $90-$110, its bigger, has better proportions and has more diecast and is half the price if not more of the MP10.

28128613160_5a8a54d726_b.jpg

Last edited:

bitbydeath

The quality has dropped massively since the 80’s/90’s.

Even Transformers feel like they’ll fall apart if you don’t take the utmost care of them.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Do kids even play with action figures anymore? I just figured they went straight into video games right out of the womb these days.

Im not an expert on modern day action figures, but I havent noticed anything as cool as cool as the 80's GI Joes, when wandering through department store toy sections lately.
I have noticed that todays little Star Wars action figures are expensive pieces of plastic.

Woo-Fu

Banned
We know that and its not crap. Also name me one thing you want and I'll give you a good action figure for it
Doc Savage.

My cousin had action figures. He always took G.I. Joe leaving me stuck with Luminos.

Last edited:

Glip_Glop

The only “action figure“ I have ever purchased was the Meat from Rocky. Includes blood stained white coat, which ties everything together nicely.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Neca are doing great things at the moment. The Movie Turtles are superb, I had to get the whole set. The original toon ones looks superb too but I can’t get them - I’ll fall in too deep!
I fell in for both lines and I can't get out. I really should though because of how impossible they are to find in Canada, but their upcoming releases are too good. NECA needs to hurry up and shit my damn Casey Jones two pack lol

Flintty

I fell in for both lines and I can't get out. I really should though because of how impossible they are to find in Canada, but their upcoming releases are too good. NECA needs to hurry up and shit my damn Casey Jones two pack lol

I picked up the Leo and Shredder pack when they first came out but Shredder had two right arms and there were no replacements available, so I got a refund.

I do keep eyeing up the Shredder and Krang pack though. Still resisting 😖

sol_bad

Neca are doing great things at the moment. The Movie Turtles are superb, I had to get the whole set. The original toon ones looks superb too but I can’t get them - I’ll fall in too deep!

I really want the NECA Alien and Ninja Turtles figures. The Alien 40th Anniversary line is a great time to jump on. No doubt they'll do an anniversary for Aliens too. And Alien 3 has the ultimate figure coming.

Nah, you just have rose coloured glasses on. You’re looking in the wrong spots. Trust me. My son thinks “my toys” are what you’re explaining. Its like going into wal mart clothing section and saying. THIS IS ALL SHIT! Well......no shit! Its wal mart!

BigBooper

Most of my GI Joe's from the late 80s early 90s penises broke off or the rubber band holding their hips on rotted away.

dorkimoe

Recently got into the NECA TMNT line, unfortunately its a pain in the ass to get ahold of any unless you want to pay ebay prices. The way they release figures now a days is retailer exclusives and the online shops get hammered by bots and its just almost not worth it. But the quality is really really good.

THe black series star wars are great too

ManaByte

Gold Member
Went to Walmart today and they had the entire Wave 1 of GI Joe on the shelf, with only 1 Destro left.

Fastest $100 I ever spent.

EcGXV5OU8AAqrmF

EcGXV5NUYAEsWw-

ManaByte

Gold Member
This is awesome in concept: Emil the toxic waste thug from Robocop 1.

12322166-927471683387j5jia.jpg

But pitiful in execution.

Those ReAction figures are meant to look pitiful because the whole line is imitating 80s toys.

Top Bottom