Why does everyone hates Donald Trump?

Sep 4, 2018
the funny thing is, look up any media before 2016, and he was practically worshipped everywhere. there's a 2011 Comedy Central Roast where Snoop Dogg is going on about how big a player he is and how all the rappers namedrop him in songs. most of America was content to live with the fantasy of this rich guy that people should want to be like. 2016 changed all that.

personally i only like him cos he is anti-establishment. as a person i find him repellent and slimy, but i think everyone in DC is the same way.

he's a liar? he's power hungry? he doesn't work hard? again, everyone in DC is like that. we have an entire class of people like this.

to me he's a rock thrown into a pond, and every time i see a "longtime FBI/CIA operative" resigning in disgust i think "GOOD, WHO'S NEXT?"

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2008
USA
Okay so being a minority is all in your mind and discrimination wouldn't exist if people just stopped thinking they're minorities
Man it was that easy all along, crazy huh
I know, right? Also, pulling upwards on a zipper will make it close. Downwards will open it up. Always seemed like the opposite should be true.

Dec 3, 2018
Could it be because he's regularly insulting large parts of the population?
Could it be because he's a proven pathological liar regardless of the topic?
Could it be because he pretends to work hard while spending a significant part of his awake time watching TV, playing golf and shitposting on twitter?
Could it be because he's embarrassing the US internationally with his constant buffoonery, shitting on allies while cozying up to autocracies?
Could it be because he's got a track record of surrounding himself with corrupt crooks and yes-men, reflecting on his own personality and leadership?
Could it be because he's completely poisoned the political climate and the relationship with the press?
Could it be because he's pulling the old con of pretending to be for working class americans while doing the opposite, on top of enriching himself with taxpayer money?
Could it be because he's politically supporting the destruction of the environment and the removal of people's rights?
Could it be because he's a cheater (to his wife), self-admitted sexual harrasser, worryingly attracted to his own daughter and generally a vile human being?
Could it be because he's a fickle, hypocritical egomaniac who thinks too highly of himself, as shown by numerous accounts of people who interacted with him throughout his life and his tendency to quickly claim glory while deflecting blame depending on how the markets and international politics swing?

I dunno OP, you tell me.

Also, pre-emptive disclaimer: If you want to deflect that some other politician does some of these things too, that's a reason to dislike that other politician, not a reason to stop disliking Trump.
In the election, we had a choice between two politicians - both of which everything here applies to. At least with Trump, people were given the choice and chose him. The same can not be said of Hillary. And while Trump may do all these things, Hillary actually campaigned on some of them. And if Hillary had won, I don't think you'd be sitting here talking about these things either. At least with Trump, his flaws are not being glossed over and we are, generally, trying to hold him accountable for them.

That's not to say that I like Trump. Far from it. But the reason Trump gets all this hate isn't because of these flaws. These are excuses. Justification. These are the things that came after the hate to attempt to explain it.

There's three reasons why Trump gets all the hate:

1) An unprecedented media campaign against him, constantly putting his flaws front and center while intentionally hiding anything good he does (accidentally or otherwise). This includes covert social media campaigns that literally filter the news you get, and fill specific reddit groups and Facebook with paid political activists. You are getting a very one sided viewpoint of the Trump presidency, and one which feeds into a specific narrative that you bought into a long time ago.

2) Social media makes people into a bunch of whiners. Through years of indoctrination in our public schools, we've been taught that history is just a series of people overcoming oppression through protest and revolt. This is not true, but it has created the one-two punch of people believing that complaining on social media makes their behavior righteous and it creates a situation where nobody actually tries to enact change, only try to shame and blame those they consider at fault for it. This makes people very unhappy because they believe they are righteous and just can't for the life of themselves understand how complaining on Twitter hasn't made the world a better place - and this just causes them to complain on Twitter even more. If society is ill, then the leader of this society must be to blame. Thus Trump becomes the lightning rod of shame and blame for people.

3) The 2016 election was an abomination of dirty pool and divisive politics. The line was drawn very clear in the sand, and the us versus them mentality was encoded into a belief of good versus evil. People literally think Trump is evil and that they are good for opposing him. They were told in no uncertain terms that Hillary would win the election for sure, and when she didn't, they felt betrayed, confused, and angry. And they blamed Trump for this, when he is the last person they should've blamed (which caused #2). Being told that Trump only won because of Russian interference also served to delegitimize his presidency, and caused a lot of people to believe that he only won because he cheated (due to #1). How could they not hate Trump?

Now, I don't think Trump is a particularly brilliant man, and if you told me he liked to steal lollipops from children, I'd believe it. I think he is corrupt and stupid, but there are a LOT of politicians that I think are corrupt and stupid. The thing that lets me sleep at night is the fact that Trump is so hated, and everything his does is so scrutinized, that I think his ability to get away with things is greatly hampered. There is nothing bad that Trump can do that we won't hear about, and there's nothing bad he can try to do that we won't be given a chance to fight against. Where Trump wins, I think it will be temporary. I don't think that would be the same with Hillary, and I think she was even more likely to abuse the power of presidency for her own gain and for the gain of the more corrupt elements in Washington.

Ke0

Aug 10, 2012
Reading, Berkshire
Just seems like he was some kind of backlash to Obama being President. Obama is/was smart, well spoken, charismatic, kind, family oriented, spiritual, humble, thick skinned, loving, came from humble beginnings, worked hard, pulled himself up by his "bootstraps", earned everything. He was basically the everyday man, so they voted in Trump who is like the polar opposite in everywhere.

May 22, 2018
Just seems like he was some kind of backlash to Obama being President. Obama is/was smart, well spoken, charismatic, kind, family oriented, spiritual, humble, thick skinned, loving, came from humble beginnings, worked hard, pulled himself up by his "bootstraps", earned everything. He was basically the everyday man, so they voted in Trump who is like the polar opposite in everywhere.
I agree with everything you said and I look forward to someone coming in and pretending that Obama is worse than Trump or claiming that Trump is better.

Feb 21, 2018
Some people don’t hate him. So it’s not everyone. And people hate all presidents so it’s nothing new. We didn’t have the internet and social media at this level during other presidencies. I think over time when the knee jerk reactions are done he will have done some bone head things but probably a few good things also and will only be remembered as the celebrity president. We won’t really know for 10-20 years when new history books talk about him. I think he is forgettable though.
Look back at Bush. Bush was hated pretty damn close to Trump, and if we had the same social media we had back then he would probably be more hated. Can you imagine Bush tweeting? The guy was thought of as an idiot I can't imagine what people would latch onto to show how stupid he was.

The rest of the world will generally hate America, and in the USA politics has become so dividing that its more like a sport than politics. Its now about how much you "win", and win at all costs. So half the country has to hate the other half. If Hillary won there would be hate against her but from the other side.

Jun 1, 2013
He acts like a whiny kid who wants to become class president and when he doesn't get what he wants he goes to his Twitter to rant about the things he doesn't get.

I also find it funny when he wanted people from Norway (my country) to come to the US instead of the shithole countries, when I don't know a single person here who likes Trump.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2008
USA
He acts like a whiny kid who wants to become class president and when he doesn't get what he wants he goes to his Twitter to rant about the things he doesn't get.

I also find it funny when he wanted people from Norway (my country) to come to the US instead of the shithole countries, when I don't know a single person who likes Trump.
The sad part is it was only President Trump who wanted anyone from Norway. Nobody likes Norway. If you say Norway over ten times, it starts to lose all meaning and you become suicidal, just like a Norwegian.

Dec 15, 2011
I agree with everything you said and I look forward to someone coming in and pretending that Obama is worse than Trump or claiming that Trump is better.
It's great to see people double-down on how closed-minded they are, how set in their predetermined conclusions they are, and how prepared they already are to tell someone their opinion is wrong.

Nov 23, 2010
I don't think Twitter is representative. The people who don't use it are different from the ones that do.

Trump's Twitter account is more about speaking to political junkies. And controlling news cycles for the handful of folks that follow Fox and CNN. He's not reaching over 200 million US adults that could vote with his Twitter account. Haters in the media are probably his biggest audience in a weird way.

Anyway, there are a lot of reasons people hate Trump, but otherwise Pres. Trump governs and more or less thinks like a standard Republican since the 70s or so. Trump has done bad things and good things like the rest.

Jan 16, 2008
USA
@fantomena, I can't quote you because you didn't really say anything. I love that movie, though. I bought the blue-ray, or my wife got it for me.

If you weren't so depressed, I would suggest you watch it. It really speaks to the American experience.

Zaru

Oct 2, 2012
Look back at Bush. Bush was hated pretty damn close to Trump, and if we had the same social media we had back then he would probably be more hated. Can you imagine Bush tweeting? The guy was thought of as an idiot I can't imagine what people would latch onto to show how stupid he was.
W Bush might not be bright among american presidents, but he probably would have had enough sense to run his tweets through the staff. Or at least Daddy Bush and his smarter advisors would have taught him to.

Feb 21, 2018
W Bush might not be bright among american presidents, but he probably would have had enough sense to run his tweets through the staff. Or at least Daddy Bush and his smarter advisors would have taught him to.
Look how much milage was gotten out of him reading a book. I can think of so many parodies about that. Its possible he wouldn't of tweeted anything, but even an innocent mistake would of been mocked. Like imagine he tweeted a mis spelt word or something that would just be pilling on him for how stupid he is.

Bush's stupidity was a huge mocking point in popular culture. Go back to that time and you will find most of the jokes about Bush were about how stupid he is (and cocaine). I can only imagine how amplified it would be if we had the twitters and facebooks and youtubes back then.

Jun 1, 2013
@fantomena, I can't quote you because you didn't really say anything. I love that movie, though. I bought the blue-ray, or my wife got it for me.

If you weren't so depressed, I would suggest you watch it. It really speaks to the American experience.
Ah okay, so now Im depressed too? Thank you for analyzing me over the Internet.

And btw, Ive seen the movie twice, so Im good. Love Dicaprio in the movie, great actor.

May 5, 2013
Obama's family is politically connected, and he went to an elite university. He won an Illinois state senate seat because by an extraordinary coincidence his Democratic primary opponent and his Republican opponent both had ugly divorces in their pasts, and attorneys sympathetic to Obama convinced judges to open up their sealed divorce records. Obama accomplished very little of note in a very short term in the senate, but got the party's attention with a good speech. He won the presidential primary partly because Hillary is disliked and seen as the establishment/warmonger candidate, while Obama was still perceived as a blank slate that people could project their hopes and dreams on. He won a Nobel peace prize while ramping up the Afghanistan War and conducting a massive drone strike campaign (that mainly killed people other than the intended targets) in many countries. All along, the media (other than partisan right-wing media) were trying to help him, cover up his mistakes, and castigate anyone who opposed him.

If you can still view him as an everyman who accomplished what he did purely through hard work, I don't know if that says more about you or how the media portrays him.

Trump is in some ways Obama's opposite, but not in the way you think. Everybody with enough brain cells to rub together knows that Trump was born to wealth, and that his marriage and sexual history is sleazy. He's combative and insulting towards political opponents or anyone else who draws his ire. He often says things that aren't technically true, but that move things in a direction he wants. Much of what he is is right out there in the open, though the disagreement is that one side sees him as a law-and-order nationalist while the other sees him as racist (and those things in general as code words for racism). Virtually the entire media is devoted to attacking him, but Trump overcame (and manipulated) that to win a presidential election; yet his enemies think he is stupid. He's largely defused North Korea, and is pulling the US out of the mess in the Middle East, but good luck finding "anti-war" leftists who back him in that.

There's a lot to dislike about Trump as a person or about his policies, but you'll find much of the hate goes beyond reason. When big media and big tech are both enemies of someone - and the other side isn't reliable either - even getting to an honest debate is almost impossible.

Feb 3, 2018
USA
Some people can't get over the fact that Trump won the election.
They were so sure about their progressive ideals and oblivious to the what the rest of America had to say or think.
They got blind sided and it literally messed with their psyche.
They couldn't believe that after someone as great as Obama we got Trump.
So they do what they can and talk shit about every single little thing he does.
Essentialy becoming more obsessed with Trump than most Trump supporters.
Unified in their common rage they took to the streets and internet.
Now that they have waged an ideological war against the Right they are stuck doubling down on anti Trump rhetoric.
So you see the vocal minority says 'we all hate Trump' but in actuality we all don't.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
I voted for Tump. I think some of the criticism is overdone, but even with that it is pretty easy to understand why a lot of people hate him.

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
I voted for Tump. I think some of the criticism is overdone, but even with that it is pretty easy to understand why a lot of people hate him.
In some ways, criticizing the president is a good thing. Because it proves Trump is not a dictator as he allows people to speak freely.

It's only when SJW's go over the line and start threatening him and his supporters with death, do they become the real "nazis".

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018
How deep are you into Trump's "FAKE NEWS" narrative? Where do you get YOUR news from?
Is that the best you got? You are going to assert that the MSM hasn’t been issuing smear campaign after smear campaign, lying by structure, actually reporting fake news (even if some is by bad fact checking), stealth edits, running interference for shady fucks doing dubious shit until the truth comes out by actual reporting later and overly referencing hyperpartisan hack outlets and then claiming to be a non-partisan joint?

You must have slept through 2018. I don’t even like Trump but get him on facts not feels.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018
This is my own opinion, I don't claim to read minds.

The people who oppose President Trump were rejected. But they believe that they are correct to such a degree that they think if they can just point out how wrong the American people were, everyone will "open their eyes and see". I don't know if it is hate so much as it is a moral righteousness. They are taking a rejection of their ideas as a rejection of them personally. It's also why non Americans get bent out of shape over him, too.
This is a pretty good take on it I feel. The left is all about that morally superiority feeling and knowing what is best for the human race as a whole that when they rug got pulled out from under them that the people don't want their ideals all they could resort to is anger and violence.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Life's too short and there are a million other things I can probably rattle off the top of my mind that are better than spending a second espousing hatred towards another human being, Trump included. He won a grueling election and with that comes four years of public service, Mueller and the US Congress aren't removing him from office anytime soon, despite the media's collective chant about how the proverbial walls are closing in on him. I pity those that haven't come to terms with his presidency yet.

Showering political opponents and all their supporters with hatred every day won't bring the inclusive and functional world Trump's critics claim to want. Having normalized such vitriolic responses to those on opposite ends of the political spectrum you're in for some rough times moving forward no matter which party is in power. Everyone needs to take the temperature down a notch, "cooler heads prevail" and all that.

Oct 24, 2017
Its not just about about that. When it comes down to it most people don'[t care who the moron has slept with. Its about the hypocrisy of the GOP and their base. Who have for YEARS claimed to be the party of god, fiscal responsibility and family values. And here we are watching the GOP support a man that goes against literally everything they have ever claimed to be and yet NONE OF THEM or their supporters is willing to admit it. You wanna support an ignorant hypocritical lying adulterous ass for President? Go for it. But you have to OWN IT. You don't get to pretend that what he is doing is normal or that he aligns with what the Republican Party has always advertised itself to be. Because he isn't.

But none of his supporters will admit it because it would involve them admitting that they are frauds. That they are liars. That they have never truly believed in what the Republican party was advertised to be. They simply supported it because it was convenient for them and now Trump is convenient for them so they now support him instead. The don't give a damn about all the other values they claim to care about because if they did they wouldn't be supporting Trump.
Except Trump's base isn't the GOP and don't even care about the GOP. It's been over 2 years and you still don't realize this? There's no excuse for it. I think the left simply is blinded with rage and are closing their eyes and ears to any logic or reason.

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
In the election, we had a choice between two politicians - both of which everything here applies to. At least with Trump, people were given the choice and chose him. The same can not be said of Hillary. And while Trump may do all these things, Hillary actually campaigned on some of them. And if Hillary had won, I don't think you'd be sitting here talking about these things either. At least with Trump, his flaws are not being glossed over and we are, generally, trying to hold him accountable for them.

That's not to say that I like Trump. Far from it. But the reason Trump gets all this hate isn't because of these flaws. These are excuses. Justification. These are the things that came after the hate to attempt to explain it.

There's three reasons why Trump gets all the hate:

1) An unprecedented media campaign against him, constantly putting his flaws front and center while intentionally hiding anything good he does (accidentally or otherwise). This includes covert social media campaigns that literally filter the news you get, and fill specific reddit groups and Facebook with paid political activists. You are getting a very one sided viewpoint of the Trump presidency, and one which feeds into a specific narrative that you bought into a long time ago.

2) Social media makes people into a bunch of whiners. Through years of indoctrination in our public schools, we've been taught that history is just a series of people overcoming oppression through protest and revolt. This is not true, but it has created the one-two punch of people believing that complaining on social media makes their behavior righteous and it creates a situation where nobody actually tries to enact change, only try to shame and blame those they consider at fault for it. This makes people very unhappy because they believe they are righteous and just can't for the life of themselves understand how complaining on Twitter hasn't made the world a better place - and this just causes them to complain on Twitter even more. If society is ill, then the leader of this society must be to blame. Thus Trump becomes the lightning rod of shame and blame for people.

3) The 2016 election was an abomination of dirty pool and divisive politics. The line was drawn very clear in the sand, and the us versus them mentality was encoded into a belief of good versus evil. People literally think Trump is evil and that they are good for opposing him. They were told in no uncertain terms that Hillary would win the election for sure, and when she didn't, they felt betrayed, confused, and angry. And they blamed Trump for this, when he is the last person they should've blamed (which caused #2). Being told that Trump only won because of Russian interference also served to delegitimize his presidency, and caused a lot of people to believe that he only won because he cheated (due to #1). How could they not hate Trump?

Now, I don't think Trump is a particularly brilliant man, and if you told me he liked to steal lollipops from children, I'd believe it. I think he is corrupt and stupid, but there are a LOT of politicians that I think are corrupt and stupid. The thing that lets me sleep at night is the fact that Trump is so hated, and everything his does is so scrutinized, that I think his ability to get away with things is greatly hampered. There is nothing bad that Trump can do that we won't hear about, and there's nothing bad he can try to do that we won't be given a chance to fight against. Where Trump wins, I think it will be temporary. I don't think that would be the same with Hillary, and I think she was even more likely to abuse the power of presidency for her own gain and for the gain of the more corrupt elements in Washington.
When you’re not trolling, you have a lot of good things to say.

Sep 1, 2017
Except Trump's base isn't the GOP and don't even care about the GOP. It's been over 2 years and you still don't realize this? There's no excuse for it. I think the left simply is blinded with rage and are closing their eyes and ears to any logic or reason.

Apr 3, 2018
Are you sure you want to go down this route of morality? You might Regret going there if we start bringing in statistics on other male proclivities in the US and how they see their family units.
Are you sure you want to go down this route of morality? You might Regret going there if we start bringing in statistics on other male proclivities in the US and how they see their family units.
I welcome statistics!

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Why the fuck do people keep bringing up the popular vote like it means anything? Both sides knew the rules and campaigned accordingly. It’s like agreeing to play a game of soccer then complaining that your touchdowns didn’t count. Besides, if you take out California, Hillary loses the popular vote by a landslide. It’s the United States of America, not the United People of America. I’m not even American and I understand this.

Jun 17, 2006
Why the fuck do people keep bringing up the popular vote like it means anything? Both sides knew the rules and campaigned accordingly. It’s like agreeing to play a game of soccer then complaining that your touchdowns didn’t count. Besides, if you take out California, Hillary loses the popular vote by a landslide. It’s the United States of America, not the United People of America. I’m not even American and I understand this.
While I agree with most of this, the California argument is silly. Both candidates had states where they won by landslides (by raw #s, not just %), and thus removing any one of those from the tally would tip the popular vote scales quite strongly one way or the other.

But yeah, the popular vote doesn't matter in US presidential elections, and people shouldn't think for one second that either candidate focused their strategy on that vs. electoral votes.