• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does it seem like people want Deathloop to fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaelka

I don't really care about this game one way or the other, the only thing that irritates me about it is what irritates me about a lot of these big AAA titles.
And it's the artifical hype that is really transparent and how it gets put up on a pedestal.
It's like why '' relevant '' commercials are cringe and annoying, because they feel condescending.

It's the same with Black Panther and Captain Marvel for example, it's fine to like the movies but when you basically act like they're the most revolutionary things ever and/ or that it makes them the greatest movies ever then I dunno.
It kinda feels like it's not even the movie being judged at that point but '' the message '' and because people want to tweet about it and get likes.

There's people who take it too far, I don't agree with people who think that every time a protagonist is black it's '' woke ''.
But I do think that there is truth to the notion that if they weren't black in Deathloop it wouldn't have gotten the critical acclaim that it has gotten, same with movies like Black Panther which again it's fine to like it.
I liked it for the visuals too at least and I generally don't like Marvel movies.
But I don't think that '' critics '' etc should be judging movies and games based on that and I do find it obnoxious.
If an individual feels good about it then that's fine, I am not going to give someone shit for being excited about Black Panther because they're black.
But if you're a movie reviewer or critic then you're supposed to be a bit more professional and putting it on a pedestal is just easy social credit which is why people do it.

I feel this way about a lot of other things too tho, I think that the obsession with AAA games is kinda sad and very limiting and I don't think that they deserve the excessive amount of praise that they get.

Edit: But I want to stress again I don't want the game to fail and I don't have a problem with individuals getting hype or feeling like it means something to them.
My issue is with reviewers and to some extent also some game devs being obnoxious about it, especially since they just end up blatantly ignoring actual issues with the game that are important for people to know before they buy it.

But I think there are people who agree with me but take a more emotional stance on it too where they want it to fail out of spite.

Last edited:
I watched 10 reviews and i still dont get the hype or what DL is. It looks so generic. So its safe to say Id be getting this at the bargain bin sometime later next year.

Last edited:

iHaunter

A lot of people don't like Bethesda after scummy FO76.

But I personally think it looks bland, generic, and uninspired. I'll pick it up for free on PS+, I don't want it to fail. I just think it's worthy of a 9/10. Nowhere near.

A lot of people don't like Bethesda after scummy FO76.

But I personally think it looks bland, generic, and uninspired. I'll pick it up for free on PS+, I don't want it to fail. I just think it's worthy of a 9/10. Nowhere near.
How can you come to that determination for a game you haven't played tho? Thats the odd thing to me is people kind of write it off as generic when its the furthest thing from in that it does alot new.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
it's fine to not enjoy a game like Deathloop if you've played it, but you can even go back to the review thread or OT and get some examples of people calling the game "woke" which I'm sure you can read between the lines as to what that means, and why some choose to target the game and "want it to fail".
It has zero “woke” attributes, and I’m someone who can’t stand woke culture. Colt is a great character and so is Julianna. Both well written and performed, the game has a certain effortless charisma that most games only dream of having.

TwiztidElf

I never understood the hate.
I thought it looked good from the original reveal. It's always been on my maybe list. I was unsurprised by the good reviews.
Sure, the saturation marketing didn't do it any favors.
I didn't end up getting it (it's not the type of thing I'd usually play), but I'll definitely be interested in playing it if I pick it up cheap down the track or if it comes to any of the dreaded "services".

rkofan87

Gold Member
Now, I don't believe this AT ALL, but from what I have seen, I think that some people feel that Arkane is a hardcore woke company that believes that having playable white characters in 2021 goes against diversity and is inherently racist, so they refuse to cast white people as hero characters. Something like that. I think some of that comes from wacky articles like this: https://www.wired.com/story/deathloop-radical-necessity-of-2-black-leads/

Of course, to believe that it's anti-white to cast black characters is FUCKING INSANE, but people are fucking insane today.
oh ok thanks that is dumb

iHaunter

How can you come to that determination for a game you haven't played tho? Thats the odd thing to me is people kind of write it off as generic when its the furthest thing from in that it does alot new.
I watched a lot of streams on it, I've seen all I need to see. Why would playing it change anything? The premise is stupid.

Sgt.Asher

Most I've seen is dumbass console warring. Deathloop is in a weird spot of being ps5 exclusive and also now Microsoft owned. It's like a console warrior Benedict Arnold.

There is also the over-inflated review scores. Game is fun but it can wear thin quickly due to brain dead AI, repetitive levels, and shallow progression. I like the story and art design.

I've seen a few claiming the game is woke, but they are fucking idiots.

MrJTeera

I’ll definitely check out Deathloop once I get a PS5, but right now I’m just obsessed with Prey:Mooncrash.

Javthusiast

Banned
Never wanted it to fail. Arcanes games just never appealed to me and seeing this one constantly at every sony show annoyed me.

I’m 100% anti-woke but didn’t notice any agenda on this one. The black characters are actually awesome. As for the game, I loved the gameplay but didn’t like the way the puzzles were designed and the clues presented to the player (my default behavior when playing a game is to ignore notes scattered around after a couple of them). I really wanted to like this one but had to give up because of the complicated rules and the, imo, awful puzzle design.

breakfuss

I'm still waiting on someone to explain what this so-called agenda is.

Y2Pfukn.png

It kinda feels like it's not even the movie being judged at that point but '' the message '' and because people want to tweet about it and get likes.

My issue is with reviewers and to some extent also some game devs being obnoxious about it
This. All of this. So devs? Don't do this.

Plantoid

Ms fans won't say it's that good because they cant play it.. Sony fans won't admit it's that good because them they would be saying Ms makes good games

I haven't played it, because I don't own a PS5, but every game arkane put out is incredible and for what I've seen I know it's good, I just have to wait, patiently.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think what pissed off many gamers about this game were a few things:

1. It didn't affect me, but supposedly Sony was promoting this game like crazy to PS fans with their partnership deal like it's god's gift to gaming

2. How many shooter fans want a game that resembles an SP shooter? Not many gamers. Next gen is here with big teraflops to spend. I'm 100% confident the average shooter gamer would want an awesome next gen looking MP shooter. Even if it's another military game. It's not like COD or BF are doing their part. They are making the same shit again, so if any studio is going to make a new shooter, where's the awesome MP IPs?

3. Game never looked great to begin with in terms of art. It has this odd pastelly look which looks like an Xbox One and PS4 can do it. There is no way anyone (even Deathloop fans) can say watching all these previews Deathloop looked next gen. I'm surprised Bethesda didn't have a PS4 version to go with PS5 and PC. No doubt this game can be done on last gen systems

Last edited:
The game was advertised like crazy by Sony to the point I even hated the game. The female seemed more annoying than she actually is in the game.

Some people get triggered by colored characters. They tend to use the word “woke”.

The game was given ridiculous high reviews. I abandoned Ghost of Tsushima, and played Deathloop instead. And I also platinum’d the game. The AI is absolute trash. Seen its a game that relies heavily on 4 levels, the AI is so important. And it sticks more like a sore thumb than any other game I seen. Its a fun game, a nice change of pace.

This game definitely isnt worthy of being a PS5 exclusive game. There’s loading screens, you can make the game freeze if you press too many menus, doesnt really have any next-gen visuals, and it has some PS2 AI.

Idk which game has the most pointless “bosses” Ghost of Tsushima or Deathloop?

I've thought it was dope ever since they first showed it and I enjoyed it during my playthrough. I respect people's opinion so if they don't like it, it's cool. I did

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I think some people are missing a huge issue with this.

The game is great, however it is obviously a worse title than either of the Dishonered titles and especially Prey.

So why is it receiving 10/10 for gameplay thats so well trodden by this studio already? Is it the story? The graphics? The characters? This right here is the issue, I have seen people saying "Oh people just say its woke because they hate black people". No it's because people are not stupid and it seems unfair that a game that by all rights is a shitty Prey it getting strait 10/10's from the same places that have 8-9/10's to both superior titles with Prey and Dishonored.

Let's not pretend that the diversity points don't have an effect the only reason this game is scoring a perfect is because reviewers are bumping it up due to the diversity quota. Its no coincidence the 10/10 reviews discuss how "refreshing" that change is despite the gameplay being so familier.

Its a solid 8/10 maybe a 9/10 to some, but it is quite obviously not a 10/10, you can easily understand this by just playing it, naturally this pisses people off. Just watch it sweep GOTY while gamers just sit there like "wtf?". Is it worth playing? Hell yeah! Is it deserving of the industry wide praise it seems to be receiving? No, and this easily translates into people hating the title not because it's a bad game, but because it feels the only way to balance this unfair positivity in the critical space, is with unbalanced negativity in the consumer.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
So why is it receiving 10/10 for gameplay thats so well trodden by this studio already? Is it the story? The graphics? The characters? This right here is the issue, I have seen people saying "Oh people just say its woke because they hate black people". No it's because people are not stupid and it seems unfair that a game that by all rights is a shitty Prey it getting strait 10/10's from the same places that have 8-9/10's to both superior titles with Prey and Dishonored.

Let's not pretend that the diversity points don't have an effect the only reason this game is scoring a perfect is because reviewers are bumping it up due to the diversity quota.

If this was true, more games would have black main characters.

Lupin25

Ms fans won't say it's that good because they cant play it.. Sony fans won't admit it's that good because them they would be saying Ms makes good games

I haven't played it, because I don't own a PS5, but every game arkane put out is incredible and for what I've seen I know it's good, I just have to wait, patiently.

Lol maybe…

That is, if you’re willing to generalize each demographic’s viewpoints and dilute the conversation to console-war bullshit.

After playing, it’s not a game I’ll miss.

This game’s immersion-breaker is the less-than-stellar AI, and without as many special abilities to utilize compared to Dishonored, the gameplay “loop” becomes a chore.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm deffo going to try it, I think it doesn't help that it's inevitably coming to game pass and some playstation fans know it's owned by MS now but primarily its just down to the over marketing that Sony pushed due to the delays and weaker line up for the second half of the year.

Imo, anyway.

Last edited:

I'm nobody

if you think deathloop is woke because it has a black MC, you are an asshole.
dishonored: death of the outsider has a black lead. GTA San Andreas (two mazing games there sold extremely well) and plenty other games

This racist sh+t need to get over them self now getting boring.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
If this was true, more games would have black main characters.

No because despite appearances videogames are primarily a product and an artform second.

This is why we have trend chasers and huge teams in publishers who sift over "big data" to break down and refine what "should" be the easiest sell. Review scores help but they don't always translate directly into copies sold. In many ways Deathloop hitting #1 in the charts might help them reevaluate that data, as right now it still points to "white male protagonist".

However my argument is that the colour of the characters skin should not effect the review score as much as the character themselves, and unlike Dishonored that has a cast that evolves around you with the story, Deathloops has less character than the weaker targets in the newer Hitman title. In many ways I would argue the Hitman series is superior to Deathloop as if you take out the whole gimic there quite similair. Although Hitman is infinity more repayable and gives you more locations to play around in with better "targets" that you can interact and learn about depending on your choice of assassination style, so why are these not 10/10's?

However just play Deathloop and then play there older titles, it's pretty obviously something that "feels" right as 8/10 if you start looking at Dishonored and Prey as a 9. The only reason I can see pointing towards perfect scores is reviews being unfairly positive towards the title... and the only thing "unique" enough in that regard is sadly the characters race.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I don't really care about this game one way or the other, the only thing that irritates me about it is what irritates me about a lot of these big AAA titles.
And it's the artifical hype that is really transparent and how it gets put up on a pedestal.
It's like why '' relevant '' commercials are cringe and annoying, because they feel condescending.

It's the same with Black Panther and Captain Marvel for example, it's fine to like the movies but when you basically act like they're the most revolutionary things ever and/ or that it makes them the greatest movies ever then I dunno.

There's people who take it too far, I don't agree with people who think that every time a protagonist is black it's '' woke ''.
But I do think that there is truth to the notion that if they weren't black in Deathloop it wouldn't have gotten the critical acclaim that it has gotten, same with movies like Black Panther which again it's fine to like it.
I liked it for the visuals too at least and I generally don't like Marvel movies.
But I don't think that '' critics '' etc should be judging movies and games based on that and I do find it obnoxious.
If an individual feels good about it then that's fine, I am not going to give someone shit for being excited about Black Panther because they're black.
But if you're a movie reviewer or critic then you're supposed to be a bit more professional and putting it on a pedestal is just easy social credit which is why people do it.

I feel this way about a lot of other things too tho, I think that the obsession with AAA games is kinda sad and very limiting and I don't think that they deserve the excessive amount of praise that they get.

Edit: But I want to stress again I don't want the game to fail and I don't have a problem with individuals getting hype or feeling like it means something to them.
My issue is with reviewers and to some extent also some game devs being obnoxious about it, especially since they just end up blatantly ignoring actual issues with the game that are important for people to know before they buy it.

But I think there are people who agree with me but take a more emotional stance on it too where they want it to fail out of spite.

I haven't played it but yes I'd agree with this. Something seems off about Deathloop in the review department from some places especially the big profile ones.

I've read between the lines here though. If you've been reading reviews long enough you can know when a game is not for you even when it gets 10s.

sony boys upset cause ms bought zenimax. they know if they play it then money goes to MS and if they enjoy it that they will need to buy an Xbox to play any future sequel.

Wildebeest

You can't fake being interested in a game just because it has a lot of hype. The war all new games have to fight is people just not being that interested, rather than wanting the game to fail.

Game is great…arkane are very talented and it triggered some folk as they will no longer get to experience these sort of titles is the summary of it

I’m looking forward to what they do with dlc/expansion as dishonoured 2/prey all had great additional content
It's funny to see how many people are just writing this off to, "it's those nasty PS players who are just mad at MS", instead of considering that some people just didn't love the game all that much. People jumping straight to bad faith accusations

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
No because despite appearances videogames are primarily a product and an artform second.

This is why we gave trend chasers and huge teams in publishers who sift over "big data" to break down and refine what "should" be the easiest sell. Review scores help but they don't always translate directly into copies sold. In many ways Deathloop hitting #1 in the charts might help them reevaluate that data, as right now it still points to "white male protagonist".

However my argument is that the colour of the characters skin should not effect the review score as much as the character themselves, and unlike Dishonored that has a cast that evolves around you with the story, Deathloops has less character than the weaker targets in the newer Hitman title. In many ways I would argue the Hitman series is superior to Deathloop as if you take out the whole gimic there quite similair. Although Hitman is infinity more repayable and gives you more locations to play around in with better "targets" that you can interact and learn about depending on your choice of assassination style, so why are these not 10/10's?

However just play Deathloop and then play there older titles, it's pretty obviously something that "feels" right as 8/10 if you start looking at Dishonored and Prey as a 9. The only reason I can see pointing towards perfect scores is reviews being unfairly positive towards the title... and the only thing "unique" enough in that regard is sadly the characters race.
Sorry for not being clearer. Deathloop is not an 8/9 out of 10 game that got bumped up to 10/10 because of the skin tone of the characters.

McCheese

The game was pushed too hard at Sony line-up events, which made people pissed as they were expecting Silent Hills and megatons, so people project that Deathloop is to blame for this. If it didn't waste 10 minutes of precious showcase time they could have shown Knack Retooled!

Last edited by a moderator:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Sorry for not being clearer. Deathloop is not an 8/9 out of 10 game that got bumped up to 10/10 because of the skin tone of the characters.

OK do you want to perhaps provide something that this new title does better than its older lower reviewed brethren from the studio? Which could be taken as a reason to counter act all the things it does arguably worse to push it to a perfect score?

Last edited:

fermcr

Essentially because Microsoft purchased Bethesda. Same thing will happen with every Bethesda game released in the future...

Did they fix the stutter on camera pan on PS5? I've 1000+ hours in Hitman 2016+ so I really really want to play it but was waiting til thats fixed.
Deathloop plays absolutely nothing like Hitman. People comparing the two games are really stretching quite a bit. If you're looking for this game to be a Hitman stand-in, it's not. They have only the most passing of similarities, which is that there's more than one way to eliminate most targets.

Essentially because Microsoft purchased Bethesda. Same thing will happen with every Bethesda game released in the future...
Or... maybe some people think it's Arkane's worst game in recent years, like I do. Prey and Dishonored are simply better games imo, with clearly better replayability and much better stories. Deathloop is actually really shallow, has way worse immersive sim aspects than the past games, and there isn't even a properly written storyline. The MS acquisition didn't even cross my mind a single time when playing this game.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
OK do you want to perhaps provide something that this new title does better than its older lower reviewed brethren from the studio? Which could be taken as a reason to counter act all the things it does arguably worse to push it to a perfect score?
I think you should question whether it's possible that the game just didn't work for you before jumping to the conclusion that every reviewer pushed the score up because of skin colour.

KWBrAhNh.jpg

i like the game for what it is but this was an expectation i had not there and i was not happy about it at first so i can understand
I think there's going to be a lot of people who pick this game up, expecting to see the Arkane style that made them famous, but it's just not there. I just recently played Prey again, and the difference is quite noticeable.

Varteras

Gold Member
I think Deathloop is going to be one of those games where the critics heaped praise on it but nobody really cared. The game came and went. No one is really talking about it. Even before its release there really wasn't much hype around the game. If anything people were annoyed to keep seeing it. As far as shooters go, the conversation is around Battlefield, Call of Duty, and Halo at this point. Arkane hasn't put out a commercially impressive title for some time. In fact, unless I'm mistaken, the original Dishonored back in 2012 was the last time one of their games matched or exceeded sales expectations. While we don't know what the sales are quite yet, I would not be shocked to found out it tanked.

Lupin25

I think some people are missing a huge issue with this.

The game is great, however it is obviously a worse title than either of the Dishonered titles and especially Prey.

Let's not pretend that the diversity points don't have an effect the only reason this game is scoring a perfect is because reviewers are bumping it up due to the diversity quota. Its no coincidence the 10/10 reviews discuss how "refreshing" that change is despite the gameplay being so familier.

Its a solid 8/10 maybe a 9/10 to some, but it is quite obviously not a 10/10, you can easily understand this by just playing it, naturally this pisses people off. Just watch it sweep GOTY while gamers just sit there like "wtf?". Is it worth playing? Hell yeah! Is it deserving of the industry wide praise it seems to be receiving? No, and this easily translates into people hating the title not because it's a bad game, but because it feels the only way to balance this unfair positivity in the critical space, is with unbalanced negativity in the consumer.

“Diversity points”? Is this a conspiratorial domain now or something lol?

All of Arcane’s games get high scores, so there’s that. Dishonored 2 is an 88, the same as Deathloop… But it’s more likely that Sony’s influence was why reviews were so widespread and critically-acclaimed. Arkane has received a lot more reviews for this game and attention, in general.

They don’t want one of their most commercialized games (less than a year after the PS5 launch) bombing on release. This is just the kind of clout Arkane needed from a publisher like Sony, as well, to facilitate them more anongst broader appeal.

FunkMiller

It’s console wars.

Xbox warriors salty a Bethesda game is successful on Playstation.

Sony combatants salty the company has been bought by Microsoft.

It‘s that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom