• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Smash Ultimate look so much duller and less vibrant/colorful than Smash for Wii U?

Looks like you read into that too much. He said ODD, not bad.
And I admitted I was wrong.
Whatever Nintendo's reasoning may have been, if the customer base hates it, then it's a flawed decision.
Nintendo is making commercial mass-production toy items, not fine art.

Folks DO realize that the E3 video was an early build of the game and that the lighting and graphics will be tweaked and improved, right? That's not the finished product. Why are people acting like it is?

93xfan

Banned
Folks DO realize that the E3 video was an early build of the game and that the lighting and graphics will be tweaked and improved, right? That's not the finished product. Why are people acting like it is?

That’s what I was thinking/hoping for with Midgar. Besides that, I’m pretty happy with the visuals myself. I do admit that some tweaks may be in order, but I don’t personally feel it needs to be as bright as the WiiU version

Larxia

It looks like it's running in limited rgb range on Switch and full rgb on Wii u. Definitely washed out.

Jezan

I think it's because of the new light engine (?) they are using, probably needs to be adjusted.
It’s the opposite. Dull washed out colors are much harder to see outdoors/in sunlight.

MCU films look vibrant as hell. You need to go watch Guardians 2 or Thor Ragnarock if you don’t think so. Both movies are among the brightest and most colorful films Ive ever seen.
No, sorry , here is why:
GotG2 has the same issue though kinda a step in the right way. Ragnarok still is too gray, but also a step for better.

I sort of have to agree with OP about GotG2.

When I said MCU movies have dull colors, I was thinking about Avengers 1.
That movie had really dull colors.

Compared to that, GotG2 has too much color, I do remember getting annoyed by it.

xviper

Nice job moving the goal posts. You said it was an easy copy and paste job.

And yes, I’ve noted some small changes. You’re speaking as if those are the only changes. Why don’t you just acknowledge that it isn’t a simple copy and paste job?
read my post again

you're blinded by your love for Nintendo

TheMikado

Banned
I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the switch had garbage memory bandwidth even when compared against the Wii U. Anyone have those specs off hand?

93xfan

Banned
read my post again

you're blinded by your love for Nintendo

I get that a lot of gameplay changes could be patched in to the WiiU game. The extra effects though? Not when the game already had frame drops during 8 player matches on WiiU. There is extra geometry and better textures all around. That is something that requires more horsepower and RAM. Nintendo could have been lazy and done a copy and paste, but they chose not to.

As a side note, Midgar needs some serious work in the lighting department (and one of the reactors isn’t even emitting green smoke in the background). I imagine it’s still being worked on.

xviper

I get that a lot of gameplay changes could be patched in to the WiiU game. The extra effects though? Not when the game already had frame drops during 8 player matches on WiiU. There is extra geometry and better textures all around. That is something that requires more horsepower and RAM. Nintendo could have been lazy and done a copy and paste, but they chose not to.

As a side note, Midgar needs some serious work in the lighting department (and one of the reactors isn’t even emitting green smoke in the background). I imagine it’s still being worked on.
what ?

yeah you're absolutely right, they are not lazy at all, and to prove that people have hard time differentiating between 2 games that are a generation apart and many people think the game from the previous gen actually looks better

don't give me that "they can still improve it" the game comes out in less than 6 months

93xfan

Banned
what ?

yeah you're absolutely right, they are not lazy at all, and to prove that people have hard time differentiating between 2 games that are a generation apart and many people think the game from the previous gen actually looks better

don't give me that "they can still improve it" the game comes out in less than 6 months

1. The switch is not a full generation ahead.

2. Artistic preferences do not equal better graphics on a technical level. Things like more polygons, more effects and better textures fall into that category.

You seem to be taking this conversation in many different directions. All I’ve seen so far is you trashing the new Smash. Even a thread just talking about tons of stages being found, leads you to be negative. Any fan would be excited about that, but you post at how it’s just a simple copy and paste of stages. When proven wrong, and given examples of better geometry and textures, you choose not to respond to those parts of the post. Instead you move the goal posts. I see no reason to continue this conversation.

xviper

1. The switch is not a full generation ahead.

2. Artistic preferences do not equal better graphics on a technical level. Things like more polygons, more effects and better textures fall into that category.

You seem to be taking this conversation in many different directions. All I’ve seen so far is you trashing the new Smash. Even a thread just talking about tons of stages being found, leads you to be negative. Any fan would be excited about that, but you post at how it’s just a simple copy and paste of stages. When proven wrong, and given examples of better geometry and textures, you choose not to respond to those parts of the post. Instead you move the goal posts. I see no reason to continue this conversation.
so the switch is not a new console ?? is it called WII U Pro ?

how about you read my posts AGAIN and stop accusing me of bullshit, or maybe you haven't read them ?

the loyalty to Nintendo by some fans is amazingly impressive

anyway, i actually agree with you that there is no reason to continue this conversation, it's like trying to tell a person FF7R is not coming this year and they keep denying it

ar0s

When I first saw that video I thought "Yeah the Switch version does look a lot better," then realised I had assumed they were the opposite way round than reality. *facepalm*

The new one looks terrible. I get they have added extra detail (kind of) but surely having dark uninspiring colours does not help frame rate? The game should be like a playable cartoon, not based on the more realistic properties involved and therefore ruining the look of all the others.

93xfan

Banned
so the switch is not a new console ?? is it called WII U Pro ?

how about you read my posts AGAIN and stop accusing me of bullshit, or maybe you haven't read them ?

the loyalty to Nintendo by some fans is amazingly impressive

anyway, i actually agree with you that there is no reason to continue this conversation, it's like trying to tell a person FF7R is not coming this year and they keep denying it

I said that it wasn’t a full generational leap and you think that means I’m saying it is not a new console.

The switch when docked is a little over twice as powerful. A full generational increase is usually at least 4 times as powerful. That’s just a simple fact that I was pointing out in regards to your comment on the switch being a generation ahead.

Would you now agree it is not a simple copy and paste of the stages, after seeing different geometry and textures? You realize I’m not in any way asking you to qualify it as better or equal. Just as not a simple copy and paste.

I have been reading your posts in full. What I took issue with at first, was your negativity towards 80+ stages being in the game. A fan would be excited about that. I think you have a biase against Nintendo for some reason.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
All of this discussion about whether the game is a port or not is irrelevant.

I don’t consider it a port, it’s a new game. But a new game that looks substantially duller, less colorful, more washed out and with fewer details visible due to the washed out colors.

I would prefer a Wii U port with the same colorful effects and visible details that I can take on the go to the game shown so far.

I just hope that Nintendo adds some color back to the game.
A more realistic lighting may look 'duller' than a more cartoonish one -- nothing weird here. The new SB does have much better lighting -- shading conveys more presence of the objects in space -- objects have more pronounced volume and relative positioning among themselves, and that's always a result of better surface-light interactions. Yes, art directors could have cranked up all materials' light response to 11 to preserve the original look, but they didn't -- that much is an art-direction choice.

Sonic adventure to sonic adventure dx was a port right??? It had new models new lighting and a new character but was built on the base of the Dreamcast game. It’s a souped up port it’s like people get so offended.

xviper

I said that it wasn’t a full generational leap and you think that means I’m saying it is not a new console.

The switch when docked is a little over twice as powerful. A full generational increase is usually at least 4 times as powerful. That’s just a simple fact that I was pointing out in regards to your comment on the switch being a generation ahead.

Would you now agree it is not a simple copy and paste of the stages, after seeing different geometry and textures? You realize I’m not in any way asking you to qualify it as better or equal. Just as not a simple copy and paste.

I have been reading your posts in full. What I took issue with at first, was your negativity towards 80+ stages being in the game. A fan would be excited about that. I think you have a biase against Nintendo for some reason.
i'm sorry but i still think it's a lazy copy and paste, and not a good one

for the record i used to be a HUGE fan of Melee, i enjoyed Brawl for a while but hated Smash 4 for how boring and similar to brawl it is, and now ultimate seems to be the same as Smash 4

i don't have a bias against Nintendo or any other company, if i don't like something i'll say it, i don't care who made it, for example, MGS is my favorite series of all time and Death Stranding looks like a walking simulator and boring, The witcher 3 is in my top 5 games of all time, but Cuberpunk 2077 trailer was bad and i don't think it's gonna be even half as good as TW3

it's okay to criticize something even if you were a fan, you don't have to like everything to be considered a fan

since we can't agree on something, it's better to leave this discussion this way, will just have to agree to disagree

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
i'm sorry but i still think it's a lazy copy and paste, and not a good one

for the record i used to be a HUGE fan of Melee, i enjoyed Brawl for a while but hated Smash 4 for how boring and similar to brawl it is, and now ultimate seems to be the same as Smash 4

i don't have a bias against Nintendo or any other company, if i don't like something i'll say it, i don't care who made it, for example, MGS is my favorite series of all time and Death Stranding looks like a walking simulator and boring, The witcher 3 is in my top 5 games of all time, but Cuberpunk 2077 trailer was bad and i don't think it's gonna be even half as good as TW3

it's okay to criticize something even if you were a fan, you don't have to like everything to be considered a fan

since we can't agree on something, it's better to leave this discussion this way, will just have to agree to disagree

You’re right. We’re coming at this game from different perspectives and agreeing to disagree sounds good.

Just as a side note, I skipped the WiiU. I got into Smash with Brawl and am hoping I’ll get some of that same excitement with this game. I won’t know until I get my hands on it.

Different engine/lighting model and it seems the WiiU suffered from crushed blacks out of the box like the xbox one. Colors probably lend themselves to a more muted, realistic look. It is very likely there are many more colour gradients on screen and you're not seeing as much black. Can't really judge until I see the game as a whole. It's really just a matter of preference. More important is how the gameplay handles.

It's clear they reused many character models then tweaked their animations and movesets to incorporate the new physics. It's not just a port. Sequels reuse assets all the time, especially in fighting games. I'm surprised they remade all the stages.

Last edited:

xviper

You’re right. We’re coming at this game from different perspectives and agreeing to disagree sounds good.

Just as a side note, I skipped the WiiU. I got into Smash with Brawl and am hoping I’ll get some of that same excitement with this game. I won’t know until I get my hands on it.
Smash 4 was pretty much Brawl HD, you haven't missed anything important, if Ultimate is also the same as Smash 4 which seems this way by the trailers, i think it's better for you to lower your hype so you don't get disappointed, i do hope you enjoy the game, but it's not my cup of tea anymore, i used to play Melee for hours everyday, but those days are gone and the game hasn't improved much since, so you must understand why i'm skeptical about Ultimate, i'm already burned out from Melee that i can't enjoy anything similar anymore

93xfan

Banned
Smash 4 was pretty much Brawl HD, you haven't missed anything important, if Ultimate is also the same as Smash 4 which seems this way by the trailers, i think it's better for you to lower your hype so you don't get disappointed, i do hope you enjoy the game, but it's not my cup of tea anymore, i used to play Melee for hours everyday, but those days are gone and the game hasn't improved much since, so you must understand why i'm skeptical about Ultimate, i'm already burned out from Melee that i can't enjoy anything similar anymore

That makes sense. I played some Smash 4 at a friends house a couple of times and would’ve been happy with a simple port.

As long as the online plays well, I am excited to challenge some old friends. Then there’s the nostalgia... along with the music.

Like you, MGS is one of my favorite series. MGS1 is one of my all time favorite games, along with Super Mario Bros 3, Mario 64, Final Fantasy 7 and Ocarina of Time. So this game is such a cool mashup for me. Plus I’ve been into Street Fighter 5 this gen and Ryu is my main character.

So I think we’re just in different places. If you do change your mind on this game though, I’d be up for some friendly matches, so send me a message.

ilfait

Might just be full RGB/limited RGB mismatch. Only looked at a few of the comparisons in the video, but looks that way to me.
Looked at more of the video. I still think there's a colour space mismatch but that's not the only reason it looks more dull. There are some bad artistic decisions going on.

Pwlt

Neo Member
The graphics look even downgraded in terms of detail. Probably because the absurd amount of action you have to account for when you have 100+ stages and allow all to be played with countless items and 8 players at the same time.

Iaterain

The same was with Breath of the Wild on Switch and Wii U comparison.
Don't you remember?

I believe by adjusting brightness and colours, NIntendo is trying to make straight ports looks a little bit different. It is a "mind trick". That is the answer why it looks duller.

Super Smash Bros is just an expansion of Wii U game. Don't be overhyped about it.

The lighting was completely redone. If the colors are more muted it was an art direction decision.

Probably not. When lightning is redone, especially when working with newer tech, art direction has a tendencies to disappear behind more complexity thus becoming duller and less vibrant.

Treeforce

Neo Member
The graphics look even downgraded in terms of detail. Probably because the absurd amount of action you have to account for when you have 100+ stages and allow all to be played with countless items and 8 players at the same time.
Really?

You don't play on all 103 stages at once.

Wii U had 8 player battles and the same amount of items.

Detail is certainly ramped up from all the gameplay we got to see. Better textures and lightning. A tiny bit less cartoonish and perhaps more plastic looking. I for one prefer the look of Ultimate to the Wii U version.

dirthead

Banned
When Nintendo does something odd, there is usually VERY good reason for it.

Like not using a CD-ROM drive on the N64 and losing most 3rd party support?

Like completely ruining Yoshi's Story?

Like launching the GBA with a screen whose quality was so terrible that you could barely even make out the games, requiring a major hardware iteration with a backlight?

Like turning Super Paper Mario, an RPG series, into a terrible, bland platformer on a system that already had a ton of platformers?

Like turning Metroid, a series that wasn't about story, into a terrible story based game and nearly sinking a 30 year old franchise?

Nintendo fucks up constantly, really. In the 21st century, they screw up more often than they get it right. They're lucky they have a lot of fanboys and that the Wii undeservedly became a fad even though it basically had no games.

Pwlt

Neo Member
Really?

You don't play on all 103 stages at once.

Wii U had 8 player battles and the same amount of items.

Detail is certainly ramped up from all the gameplay we got to see. Better textures and lightning. A tiny bit less cartoonish and perhaps more plastic looking. I for one prefer the look of Ultimate to the Wii U version.

You have to optimize for the worst case scenario, and not all stages are selectable for 8 player battles on Wii-U. The lighting looks better, but it seems sometimes there is less detail rather than more. See Shulk..

Pwlt

Neo Member
Don't see any option to edit my post. Just wanted to add that the Switch version obviously has better lighting and generally better and crisper textures. But it does look bland in a lot of shots. In any case, I'll be enjoying Smash Ultimate, that's for sure. :)

I know it's not fair but when the cutscene presenting simon ended and the ingame render began I couldn't help thinking the game looks like shit.

Treeforce

Neo Member
You have to optimize for the worst case scenario, and not all stages are selectable for 8 player battles on Wii-U. The lighting looks better, but it seems sometimes there is less detail rather than more. See Shulk..

I´ve also noticed that Shulk looks less pronounced. However I believe this might due to the nature of the level and the ligh exposure he gets at that moment. I´d like to wait and see how he looks under different conditions.

That’s what I was afraid of. I was hoping it was a bad video/source and the final game will look more vibrant.

If they purposely made the colors more muted and less vibrant, that was a dumbass decision on their part.
I disagree, I prefer the higher contrast that were seeing now due to the better lighting.

Akuza89

Like not using a CD-ROM drive on the N64 and losing most 3rd party support?

Like completely ruining Yoshi's Story?

Like launching the GBA with a screen whose quality was so terrible that you could barely even make out the games, requiring a major hardware iteration with a backlight?

Like turning Super Paper Mario, an RPG series, into a terrible, bland platformer on a system that already had a ton of platformers?

Like turning Metroid, a series that wasn't about story, into a terrible story based game and nearly sinking a 30 year old franchise?

Nintendo fucks up constantly, really. In the 21st century, they screw up more often than they get it right. They're lucky they have a lot of fanboys and that the Wii undeservedly became a fad even though it basically had no games.

Can I throw not making anymore f-zero games in that too? its a crime against racing games that we haven't seen a new one.

on topic though, what we more than likely seeing is an early build of the game, don't forget while this is being shown off, its still being worked on.

What better lighting. In the video, you barely see any background lights/stars at all in the “ultimate” version
I'm referring to the realistic lighting as demonstrated with the shadows, the absorption and diffusion of light on different materials. It looks neat, and more realistic. It doesn't have to be super vibrant to look good.

Last edited:

bilderberg

Because making everything brighter and more colorful doesn't make your game look better. The lighting and shadows look much better in the switch version.

To me it looks Switch version looks more detailed.

FANTASTIC!!
It looks like they took the criticism to heart and completely revamped the color saturation levels.

The difference between this video and the one in the OP is night and day.

The game looks significantly more vibrant now.

Barring the exclusion of minions and rabbids, the game is everything Ive ever wanted and Im thrilled with these changes.

The mods can go ahead and close this topic, the new build fixed the issue.

decisions

Wow I'm really glad they made those changes. I would've been upset if the game looked like it did and the OP but it has been improved a lot.

Top Bottom