• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does the Last Crusade get so much praise? I have lots of problem with it.

DKehoe

Here's your problem OP.
It's not even so much about needing to take it seriously. It's that if you want every detail explained in exhaustive detail (like how he got into Germany or how the rest of the zeppelin flight went after he threw the Nazi off) then you'd end up with pacing that would drag the film down.

Trunx81

I loved 3, for many things. First of all, the soundtrack was amazing. Likable characters. Mystery and adventure. Many set pieces, making the movie feel longer (in a good way) than it was. A lot of quotable lines. And, not to forget: An amazing point and click video game with the SCUMM engine.

Nothing beats Riders, but the blasphemy that we got with part 4 (Aliens ffs) is a turd compared to all the previous 3 movies.

pramod

Banned
It's not even so much about needing to take it seriously. It's that if you want every detail explained in exhaustive detail (like how he got into Germany or how the rest of the zeppelin flight went after he threw the Nazi off) then you'd end up with pacing that would drag the film down.
It still doesn't excuse the lazy writing though. Both the Zeppelin scene and Germany scene makes me think some guy thought "hey how cool would it be if Indy ran into Hitler? Or threw a nazi off a Zeppelin?" And then just tried to write that into the plot.

On the other hand in Raiders the writers just gave u the setup..you knew Indy had to somehow sneak into a nazi base, find the ark, rescue Marion, and escape with the ark..you have no idea how he could pull it off and it was amazing to watch it happen.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Actually I just realized my original premise is incorrect...the nazis didnt just let them get away and they had to escape the Zeppelin in a biplane. Somehow this part of the movie escaped my memory.

So my apologies..mods feel free to close this wretched thread.

Actually I just realized my original premise is incorrect...the nazis didnt just let them get away and they had to escape the Zeppelin in a biplane. Somehow this part of the movie escaped my memory.

So my apologies..
I say you should watch the crystal skull as punishment.

Only the penitent man shall (get a) pass.

Last edited:

Boodler81

Neo Member
I would say all of the movies require major suspension of disbelief. Willie as the female lead in Temple was my favorite. I found it more enjoyable that Indy had someone on his quest that didn't want to be there instead of being like...I'm going with you. Also, Marion as a character does nothing for me. I think I'd rank 3,1,2. But each one has it's good and bad parts. I liked Crystal Skull until they got to the jungle. Then it just fell apart. Oh, and I am pretty sure The Last Crusade was the first movie I saw in theatres.

Last edited:

Neff

It's massively overrated. Ford and Connery make a comfy pair but the script is lazy, unoriginal, nonsensical, poorly-thought out, overly sentimental, and inconsistent with established characters.

Raiders, Doom and Crystal Skull are all far better movies, Doom especially.

too bad they made this instead of the monkey king script

The Monkey King script is dated '95, several years after Last Crusade. It's a decent script though. The opening in the haunted Scottish castle would have been amazing.

"hey how cool would it be if Indy ran into Hitler?"

That's the only truly great scene in the movie imo.

Last edited:
Boo! Boo this man! Temple is awesome, it's the only Indy film where anything goes.
72a066302dcb7a3c9172d8c05baed961a8bca6d2.gif

MrMephistoX

Because I love the film you don’t OP and that’s ok but I didn’t bother reading your nitpicks because I have better uses of my time than listening to armchair director’s notes from you or any other ad revenue generating negative hot takers on YouTube.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Harrison ford has amazing acting abilities I watched those Indy films growing up if they make a game it’s day 1.

Quasicat

It’s a good movie, but there are a ton of historical errors throughout.

Many of the cars were models that were built in the 1940s and 1950s even though the movie takes place in 1938.

The checkpoint between Austria and Germany would have been removed as Germany annexed Austria in March of that year, but the movie takes place in the summer.

Germany had stopped all passenger zeppelins after the Hindenburg exploded in 1937.

Many of the books, when they zoom in, show statistics from 1943, which makes no sense based on the year.

It’s not enough to ruin the film, but it does take me out of it a little bit.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
My main problems with it are the writing which required too much suspension of disbelief. Also the tone is all over the place.

Indy needs the map book. So he sneaks into Nazi Germany and gets it without even us knowing exactly how he did it and "escapes" with zero effort.

The bad guy Nazi finds Indy and his dad as they are trying to escape from Germany on a GERMAN Zeppelin and Indy just throws him out the window and they just let them fly away. WTF?

Anyways this movie is just all over the place with its humor and plot holes while trying to make us take it really seriously.

I have more nitpicks like the tank chase taking too long but those are more minor. For me it's the weakest of the trilogy.
Fuck you

Dural

Tonight Show Thank You GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I know everyone hates on 4, but I’ll gladly take Shia and CGI monkeys (well, okay not “gladly” per say, but it’s the less painful option) over Willie screaming her head off every 5 seconds. Honestly one of my most hated characters in all of cinema. Some hate on Short Round but he barely registered with me considering he was chill in comparison to the “adult” freaking out all the time, and the movie would have been way better if it was just Indy and Short Round on the adventure.

Also, everyone freaks out over the fridge scene in 4, yet 2 had an equally bullshit scene with the falling life raft that should have killed everyone who fell.

Don’t get me wrong, 2 has good moments, for sure, but it’s weighed down by the bullshit. Asking me to enjoy 2 is like asking me to enjoy a really well made feast while I’m simultaneously being punched in the face every 30 seconds, it’s just not going to happen. 4 is mostly unremarkable but I’m not reaching for some headache medicine when I watch it.

If 1 is a 10/10 and 3 is a 9/10 for me, I view 4 as a 5/10 and 2 as a 3/10.

Also, just want to say, I’m a sucker for “riding/running off into the sunset” shots as the ending. Last Crusade’s final shot is just:

GIF by FOX International Channels

This was tested years ago on Mythbusters and it worked.

Temple of Doom is one of the best action movies ever made, it goes from one iconic scene to the next and never lets up. The original trilogy is damn near perfect.

Esca

I liked it but temple of doom is my favorite. First one I remember and short round was great

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Next year.

Written and directed by the guy who made these:
poster-780.jpg

Logan_48x70ForFandango_sRGB.jpg

R.347a0361bfd0d8222f881cda8de60969

Three great films.

However, let us not forget that he also directed Knight and Day, Kate & Leopold and the god-awful The Wolverine.

James Mangold has a mixed track record when it comes to directing. The new Indy film could be amazing like Logan, or could be absolute shite like The Wolverine.

kunonabi

This was tested years ago on Mythbusters and it worked.

Temple of Doom is one of the best action movies ever made, it goes from one iconic scene to the next and never lets up. The original trilogy is damn near perfect.
It's crazy just how many memorable set pieces, scenes, and moments ToD has. It's got more than some entire trilogies manage.

Spaceman292

Banned
Three great films.

However, let us not forget that he also directed Knight and Day, Kate & Leopold and the god-awful The Wolverine.

James Mangold has a mixed track record when it comes to directing. The new Indy film could be amazing like Logan, or could be absolute shite like The Wolverine.
I kinda like The Wolverine but you're right. I can't imagine the new indy movie being any good.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member

Many of the cars were models that were built in the 1940s and 1950s even though the movie takes place in 1938.

The checkpoint between Austria and Germany would have been removed as Germany annexed Austria in March of that year, but the movie takes place in the summer.

Germany had stopped all passenger zeppelins after the Hindenburg exploded in 1937.

Many of the books, when they zoom in, show statistics from 1943, which makes no sense based on the year.

This is why we can’t have nice things.

You could mention that knights can’t live for a thousand years and earthquakes aren’t contained to a single building while you were at it.

Just a bit of sarcasm. Enjoy what you like :messenger_winking:

Pagusas

Elden Member

If the next film really is about time travel... then all that is easily explained!

Quasicat

This is why we can’t have nice things.

You could mention that knights can’t live for a thousand years and earthquakes aren’t contained to a single building while you were at it.

Just a bit of sarcasm. Enjoy what you like :messenger_winking:
Well now you’re just being silly.

also a little bit of sarcasm. 😉

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Because it was a fun adventure with great leads playing off each other. The first movie resolves itself without actually needing Indy but who cares, it's a fun pulpy 50s style action movie with a great director and a great cast.

Last edited:

LimanimaPT

Because Crusade was a step up from Temple of Doom. Temple is the worst Indy film.
Not the worse, the one with the crystal skull is the worst.

I have mixed feelings about Temple of Doom. Somethings are awful but it also has a lot of great scenes and sequences:
-Intro sequence
-The bugs in the trap
-The snake/bug dinner
-The mine cart sequence
-Some great jokes "Water, water, water... WATER!!"

In the end I find it to be a lot of fun and enjoyable movie.

joedan

Temple of Doom is my favourite India Jones Movie. [shrugs]

Random point. Adventures of Bayou Billy is a great NES game.

SpiceRacz

Not the worse, the one with the crystal skull is the worst.

I have mixed feelings about Temple of Doom. Somethings are awful but it also has a lot of great scenes and sequences:
-Intro sequence
-The bugs in the trap
-The snake/bug dinner
-The mine cart sequence
-Some great jokes "Water, water, water... WATER!!"

In the end I find it to be a lot of fun and enjoyable movie.

Never heard of this 'Crystal Skull' film you speak of.

RaduN

A few dumb, crowd pleasing moments, sure, but that ending...that fucking ending: "Indiana...Indiana, let it go" it was an absolutely amazing moment in every possible way.

If a saga ever had a perfect ending, then it's definitely this one.

Top Bottom