Why does the main character from Control look less feminine than the concept art?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Aug 17, 2009
Philippines
psnprofiles.com
Well... Couldn't really care how she looks. Game is still fun and interesting.

The wife said she looks a bit weird though (non-gamer at all).

Stitch

Nov 26, 2006
She looks alright, especially with the second outfit. Her butt is a bit disappointing though. The Arkham games had nicer butts.

• LOL
Reactions: Xaero Gravity

Ivory Blood

Formerly 'LeiShen'
Sep 9, 2018
The thing is, Remedy didn't always pander to SJW folks:

https://quantumbreak.fandom.com/wiki/Amy_Ferrero_(Narrative_Object) (be warned, slight spoilers ahead!)

Yeah, that's a stereotypical SJW persona and Remedy took a jab at her. Then again, this game was released in the pre-Trump era, when the political climate was less polarized than today.
C'mon, this is perhaps the only story-heavy game I played this year that had NO sjw undertones whatsoever. Seriously, they were focused on telling a House of Leaves/SCP style story and that's it.

GymWolf

Jun 11, 2019
Why does "strong woman" just means "she must look like a man" in western devs mind?

The stuff of nightmares...the gears5 chick obviously being the worst offender...i can fuck aloy and jesse (being carefull to not scratching my balls with her chin) for a bet with friends, but to put my dick into kat i need at least half bottle of unicum some hard drugs from mr white and maybe some physical encouragement like soft torture or some shit...she has more cheeckbones than soul ffs.

Last edited:

jonnyp

Jan 12, 2008
I mean just look at this shit....

Am i taking crazy pills or does she really looks like a man?

Also i don't remember her looking like that in the promotional material of the game as she clearly had more feminine features

I mean the real actress behind this game model is a beautiful woman so what happened?

It's very distracting in cutscenes because she keeps reminding me of Col. Hans Landa from Inglourious Basterds, so i feel like i'm controlling a Nazi:messenger_persevering:
I don't get it either. Just why?

FireFly

Aug 5, 2007
You still haven't presented any actual point, neither an argument. You are just basically doing damage control by claiming that every criticism that points at a company having a political agenda it's just people seeing things that don't exist. Which is basically you talking out of your ass, just like the rest of us.
I see three basic points:

1.) The angularity of Jesse's jaw is eccentuated by the lighting, camera angle, and the fact that her jaw is open.
2.) Comparisons with other models are only fair if these elements are kept the same.
3.) If we start from a position of uncertainty as to why the model looks as it does, and you want to claim that it can only be due to a feminist conspiracy to alter jaw sizes, you have to provide actual evidence for this.

The burden of proof lies on the person that makes the claim. And saying for example that Jesse's jaw is the evidence, is begging the question, since this is precisely what is in dispute. We might for example believe that her face is structured that way because of the face scanning process, or because Remedy wanted the character to look sightly strange, like the janitor, who also seems different to his real life counterpart Martti Suosalo.

Reactions: Rolling_Start

ISubZBR

Neo Member
Sep 7, 2018
Oh boy, shes so ugly with this titanium chin.

I really want kwon what happens on Western. It seems everybody lost The sense of beaty... Im playing Yakuza Kiwami 2, and Yuki is just so beautiful... Makoto from Y0 could be a nice waifu too.

Actually, this is what happens when you put ideologics schemes beyond reality. You have to believe in others and not in your own eyes.

Anyway, the game actually is fun enough. Im playing right now. But im really tired of this lack beauty sense from Western things, thats include movies, Music, etc.

That's happened in Hellblade too. The actress was beaty and the character is ugly as hell. And Im not talking about her outfit.

In other way, Kojima had make a great job with Joosten when create Quiet. The actress was so beauty and the character is better.

Azelover

Dec 3, 2004
Sometimes the angle and the lighting can make a very big difference. And the make up.

It all depends on what the director wants to transpire.

Nymphae

Gold Member
Jun 3, 2013
Canada
Sometimes the angle and the lighting can make a very big difference. And the make up.

It all depends on what the director wants to transpire.
The Seinfeld episode where the girl Jerry is dating only looks good in certain lighting lol

I'm positive that they also inserted something into her mouth to make her upper lip area under the nose bulge more.

Rolling_Start

Jul 25, 2019
You still haven't presented any actual point, neither an argument. You are just basically doing damage control by claiming that every criticism that points at a company having a political agenda it's just people seeing things that don't exist. Which is basically you talking out of your ass, just like the rest of us.
I've repeatedly made the point that there are many shots of her face that don't look like that, and even grabbed a couple (showing the face model from a couple of angles) and linked them so as to provide an easy way for people to see for themselves. I've also talked about how I think the composition and animation of the shot in the OP contributes to the particularly strange appearance.

So saying I haven't presented a point, or made an argument is demonstrably false. I've done both, repeatedly. You've done neither.

I'm also not saying "every criticism that points at a company having a political agenda it's just people seeing things that don't exist". There are agendas, and there are politics in and surrounding games in a pretty significant ways. Some of it has gotten quite nasty. But there is nothing in this character to suggest that these forces are responsible for the way she looks.

Damage control implies damage. I don't see it, and no-one has pointed it out, as far as I can see, beyond saying "strong ugly woman because of politics".

With the actual political obsession to push a certain narratives, you can already see red flags looking at the character alone. And I'm not talking about weird camera angle shoots.
Well thanks for providing specific points that I can look at.

Oh boy indeed.

Reactions: Closer and Contica

GreenAlien

Jun 11, 2016
Is it actually mentioned in the game, that Jesse was born female? We shouldn't assume..

Maybe it's just that she is a trans character done right, without trying to crack open your skull with "it"..

I think that is the most obvious reason as to why she was made to look more masculine than the real life actress..

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Rurouni Kenshin
Aug 28, 2019
I think it's difficult. Face scans can show you the way a face looks in a certain position, but to have an accurate, algorithm based rules to animate a face you need to make assumptions about the bone structure beneath the skin and also the subdermal layers including fat and muscle.*

The quest for ever more realistic faces takes developers into an ever more challenging space.

*Unless you X-ray the shit out of their heads. Don't think people would be cool with that though...
Yeah, that's true. These devs are gonna have to draw the line at some point. Maybe they could've taken some artistic liberties after the scans and just filled her cheeks out a bit more anyway. It may've been an accurate scan, but while they did seem to make some artistic decisions after the fact, feels like they made the wrong ones.

Just imo I guess.

Aug 28, 2019
You:

Which is why im glad Japanese games could not care less about any of that and we keep seeing developers just doing what they want without restriction.
Sony: Yeah, uh...about that ;)....

(I'm just kidding but, well,...there has been some iffy censorship from them on that note of late that's concerning)

She looks alright, especially with the second outfit. Her butt is a bit disappointing though. The Arkham games had nicer butts.

Dunno, I actually like her butt. It could be thiccer, but it's a nice firm tushie. Pretty good on that note!

Last edited:
  • LOL

tassletine

Oct 24, 2007
1) Videogame charcaters mostly look like shit, they almost never get the faces right.
2) Video game characters have a long history of boring, washed out design, so what you may be objecting to is just some character — the sort of things you find in real life. You need to make the argument as to why this shouldn’t be attempted.
3) Videogame characters have a long history of androgyny. I don’t remember anyone ever complaining about Link etc.
4) The Hans Landa comment is fucking funny, but it should be left at that. Debating this shit is just pointless. If sexy videogame characters are you’re thing then there are plenty of other games to wank to.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
1) Videogame charcaters mostly look like shit, they almost never get the faces right.
2) Video game characters have a long history of boring, washed out design, so what you may be objecting to is just some character — the sort of things you find in real life. You need to make the argument as to why this shouldn’t be attempted.
3) Videogame characters have a long history of androgyny. I don’t remember anyone ever complaining about Link etc.
4) The Hans Landa comment is fucking funny, but it should be left at that. Debating this shit is just pointless. If sexy videogame characters are you’re thing then there are plenty of other games to wank to.
1. Video game characters looking like shit is not a strong defense.
2.A long history of looking like shit is not a strong defense.
3. Link has had many different styles and design choices over the year. Many of them are praised, some are criticized and laughed at. It's okay

Zelda also doesn't try to be photo realistic.
4. There is no debate. She looks like a man and it's funny. The fact that some people here have a such a thin skin they get offended for people laughing at the obvious is their problem.

Last edited:

Rolling_Start

Jul 25, 2019

All good points. I think the reason this thread has gone on so long is that it does actually touch on probably three interesting points, namely the difficulty of ever increasing photorealism and the use of real actors, stylistic goals vs beauty, and the complex maelstrom of misogyny, "leftist vs right...ist" proxy warfare, and seeing the enemy where it isn't actually present (at this particular time).

4. There is no debate. She looks like a man and it's funny. The fact that some people here have a such a thin skin they get offended for people laughing at the obvious is their problem.
Interestingly, I'm one of the people who has most frequently argued in this thread that she doesn't particularly ever look like a man, and clearly doesn't at all in many other shots, but I've been called retarded, small dicked, and accused of talking shit. And yet I've not responded in kind and have not reported anyone or anything to mods. This is where the conversation is, so ... it is what it is.

You might be assuming thin skins and offence taken in some of the wrong places.

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: Keihart

MagnesG

Apr 20, 2019
This user has been temporarily removed from thread. A mod posted to dial it back before and after posts made by you.
Interestingly, I'm one of the people who has most frequently argued in this thread that she doesn't particularly ever look like a man, and clearly doesn't at all in many other shots, but I've been called retarded, small dicked, and accused of talking shit. And yet I've not responded in kind and have not reported anyone or anything to mods.
Get off with that shit. You sound like a real pussy right here.

ruvikx

Jan 12, 2018
I hope people realize a video game with 3D art is a matter of choice from the devs in terms of design (i.e. no one is at the mercy of an actress looking like a hooker with a hangover). They could have made her look like a supermodel (i.e. Claire Redfield, Jill Valentine or Juli Kidman), but nope, someone sat at their computer (ironically a dude most likely) & made this female character deliberately unattractive - a fact even more jarring considering the actress they used is way prettier than their 3D creation.

It's all on purpose in the name of a bizarre cult of ugliness whereby we're supposed to believe female beauty is some sort of patriarchal power fantasy. The stench of far left politics is strong in this game.

Rolling_Start

Jul 25, 2019
Get off with that shit. You sound like a real pussy right here.
Err ... you wat m8?

The mods have popped up twice here saying there have been numerous reports. I don't like that kind of thing, and don't do it.

This was in response to 'thin skinned' and 'easily offended' being used as descriptors for people who don't think the character model in Control looks like a man, and who have been talking about that in this thread.

But thanks, I'll add being a real* pussy* to the list. Thanks for your contribution to the thread, bold straight-talking none-pussy man!

Edit: *I'd hate to be a faker. I try to keep things real where I'm strong enough to do so. 💪

Last edited:

MagnesG

Apr 20, 2019
Err ... you wat m8?

The mods have popped up twice here saying there have been numerous reports. I don't like that kind of thing, and don't do it.

This was in response to 'thin skinned' and 'easily offended' being used as descriptors for people who don't think the character model in Control looks like a man, and who have been talking about that in this thread.

But thanks, I'll add being a real* pussy* to the list. Thanks for your contribution to the thread, bold straight-talking none-pussy man!

Edit: *I'd hate to be a faker. I try to keep things real where I'm strong enough to do so. 💪
And you still didn’t get the message. Good for you then, keep building that list my man. I have more problems with people having some kind of victim complex rather than being rude.

Reactions: Denjo92

Rolling_Start

Jul 25, 2019
And you still didn’t get the message. Good for you then, keep building that list my man. I have more problems with people having some kind of victim complex rather than being rude.
I'm not a victim though. That's the thing. That was the point. You still don't get it.

oagboghi2 said: "She looks like a man and it's funny. The fact that some people here have a such a thin skin they get offended for people laughing at the obvious is their problem."

But no-one here arguing that she doesn't actually look like a man, especially not on balance, is either thin skinned or offended. And I've been slagged off fairly hard in this thread. It's a presumed slight against an imaginary opponent that people are determined to oppose because that's all they can see and perhaps because they think they already have a winning retort that satisfies them emotionally ... I guess that's what we do some times though.

And if I was going to feel like a victim, it probably wouldn't be because of you, magnesG. Sorry to burst your bubble. ;)

MagnesG

Apr 20, 2019
I'm not a victim though. That's the thing. That was the point. You still don't get it.

oagboghi2 said: "She looks like a man and it's funny. The fact that some people here have a such a thin skin they get offended for people laughing at the obvious is their problem."

But no-one here arguing that she doesn't actually look like a man, especially not on balance, is either thin skinned or offended. And I've been slagged off fairly hard in this thread. It's a presumed slight against an imaginary opponent that people are determined to oppose because that's all they can see and perhaps because they think they already have a winning retort that satisfies them emotionally ... I guess that's what we do some times though.

And if I was going to feel like a victim, it probably wouldn't be because of you, magnesG. Sorry to burst your bubble. ;)
You’re really missing off the point. Did you see in any of my sentences disagreeing your notions on this topic?

You seem keen to prize the so called name calling,”I’ve been called this, been called that.” - and seem comfortable of having that kind of attitude too. Looks like there’s nothing to save here. Should I name one more time what type of person you’re acting right now?

Also I guess it does ticked me off, your pussy attitude that is. No offence though.

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018
? What you or I or anyone think is attractive is subjective. So I don't get this obsession with trying to force an opinion on looks to be a fact. Thats like trying to say someone married a person because they are ugly as I mean, how could they actually like someone that YOU FIND ugly? You are the only one that can understand that right? Anyone not seeing just how dumb that argument is?
You just keep on pushing your bullshit. The only thing that's subjective is if you are personally attracted to an objectively beautiful women or not. If you are not turned off by that China looking pic of the MC from Control. You are probably gay. We have evolved with natural beauty standards. Your garbage Marxist ideology is undermining our evolution.

Negotiator

Jun 28, 2011
I guess this explains a lot:

Initially I thought the game was directed by Finnish people (Finland is nothing like Sweden AFAIK), but clearly that's not the case anymore.

Oh well, I'd play that for a dollar (aka Game Pass). :)

• Triggered
Reactions: TheGreatYosh

Contica

Feb 1, 2016
I guess this explains a lot:

Initially I thought the game was directed by Finnish people (Finland is nothing like Sweden AFAIK), but clearly that's not the case anymore.

Oh well, I'd play that for a dollar (aka Game Pass). :)
Who cares who made it? It's a damn great game with drive and an actually interesting story for a change. Fantastic gameplay and not once did anything ever happen that made me think there was any sort of agenda being pushed.

raduque

Mar 29, 2017
This thread is high-larious. I haven't had such a good laugh in a while, thank's y'all.

I think the problem with the Jesse model is that it just doesn't look good in stills, because it looks way, way better in motion in the video.

Control looks interesting. I hope my PC can handle it.

Rolling_Start

Jul 25, 2019
You’re really missing off the point. Did you see in any of my sentences disagreeing your notions on this topic?

You seem keen to prize the so called name calling,”I’ve been called this, been called that.” - and seem comfortable of having that kind of attitude too. Looks like there’s nothing to save here. Should I name one more time what type of person you’re acting right now?

Also I guess it does ticked me off, your pussy attitude that is. No offence though.
Well, I only mentioned the name calling initially as a direct response to someone suggesting that people like myself were thin skinned and easily offended. But you really latched onto it. Would love to talk about the game though, but with things - scenes, images, and characters - discussed fairly and within the context of the game.