Why does the main character from Control look less feminine than the concept art?

Drake

Oct 16, 2012
She looks like Chyna from wwe. Has this observation been made yet? I don't feel like digging through 12 pages.

• LOL
Reactions: lock2k

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
She looks like Chyna from wwe. Has this observation been made yet? I don't feel like digging through 12 pages.
Yes.

I just read this whole thread. The references I expected and saw hit all the marks.

1. Lada comparison
2. Chyna
3. Mass Effect Andromeda goo faces
4. Bad lighting woman from Seinfeld
5. It's Ma'am
6. Eddie Izard <-- bonus didn't expect that one
7. Various games from 2018 to today with strong female leads being uplifted with masculine features
8. Rocky from Mask
9. Sam Lake superimposed on the model <- also not expected but fucking hilarious

Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
That actress does have a square jaw. It just looks like the modeler exaggerated it a bit. The original model from the avengers game was much worse (straight up man face).

Kamina

Golden Boy
Jun 2, 2013
Austria
Looking at the DF analysis, the face seems to be inconsistent and very dependent on the scene. The chin looks massive at times, when at other times it looks more normal.
Overall though, i think that the devs intentionally made her less pretty to appeal to the “too few women & too much fanservice”-crowd.

Stimpak

Jun 20, 2019
California, USA
Kind of rediculous how this thread already has more posts than the Control OT. I guess people are more concerned with the shape of the main character's jaw than the gameplay itself.
Agreed.

Just goes to show you how much value this game has.

It’s more fun to poke fun at a male feminist fantasy game than it is to talk about the game itself or actually play it.

Who would’ve thought?

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
it's hard to say what the problem is without looking at the light rig

it's not easy what valve does, is it gaming industry?

Stimpak

Jun 20, 2019
California, USA
Excellent post. While I think the premise of this thread surely has to be a joke, it is interesting to entertain the discussion.

On the subject matter, I think the actor and model look pretty damn similar and do not think the very minor differences are due to the developers having soy milk with their coffee, but rather art and process. Look at how all the previous actors have been translated, there are always inconsistencies.
I don’t know if I’d call the differences “minor”, but potato/pohtato.

Also, it’s way more fun to assume the former than the latter of your explanations (as shmunter pointed out).

Last edited:

Stimpak

Jun 20, 2019
California, USA
OP complained not because it's not 10/10, or its ugly, but because its weird, and it is indeed because there's people at both sides of the opinion. The model is based on of a real person who in reality is beautiful, but the model just isnt.
Doesnt matter how you spin it, the model is not accurate to the actress, is weird, and users are discussing about it.

If you cant tolerate it, maybe you are the one who should go to Era.

EDIT

There's certainly some 'masculine' and 'femenine' connotations around there, but that have nothing to do on the main complain being legit.
Thank you.

Hell, I showed my girlfriend the comparisons and she said that the in game model looks “darker, more serious, and less feminine”.

Which if that’s what they were going for, then hooray?

That’s what makes this all the more worthy of talking about when you look at the actress (who’s an absolute fox), why didn’t they just use her?

Or if they wanted a more homely looking woman, why not choose another actress?

Devs reek of woke pandering.

Contica

Feb 1, 2016
Thank you.

Hell, I showed my girlfriend the comparisons and she said that the in game model looks “darker, more serious, and less feminine”.

Which if that’s what they were going for, then hooray?

That’s what makes this all the more worthy of talking about when you look at the actress (who’s an absolute fox), why didn’t they just use her?

Or if they wanted a more homely looking woman, why not choose another actress?

Devs reek of woke pandering.
I dunno, maybe because they had worked with her before, liked her and wanted to work with her again? I really have no idea, I haven't talked to anyone at Remedy about their casting decisions so I'm not gonna pull shit out of my ass and present it as fact.

Or, or, or maybe there's something about the whole allure of being an actor is not just being possibly famous, but having the option of stepping into the shoes of someone not like yourself, and exploring that? Becoming something you're not everyday already? I mean, why did they cast Christian Bale for the machinist when they could have gone an hired an anorexic? It boggles the mind it does.

I don't fucking know, ask Remedy, they're the only ones who can confirm how woke or not woke the look of Jesse Faden is. They have twitter accounts, facebooks and websites. Go and ask them.

One of the greatest questions of our time this is. Why doesn't the main character of Control look like a fuckdoll?

Nickolaidas

Jan 18, 2019
I dunno, maybe because they had worked with her before, liked her and wanted to work with her again? I really have no idea, I haven't talked to anyone at Remedy about their casting decisions so I'm not gonna pull shit out of my ass and present it as fact.

Or, or, or maybe there's something about the whole allure of being an actor is not just being possibly famous, but having the option of stepping into the shoes of someone not like yourself, and exploring that? Becoming something you're not everyday already? I mean, why did they cast Christian Bale for the machinist when they could have gone an hired an anorexic? It boggles the mind it does.

I don't fucking know, ask Remedy, they're the only ones who can confirm how woke or not woke the look of Jesse Faden is. They have twitter accounts, facebooks and websites. Go and ask them.

One of the greatest questions of our time this is. Why doesn't the main character of Control look like a fuckdoll?
All solid points, but I doubt the devs will openly admit to making the model less feminine because woke.

In any case, I consider this whole thing a minor issue which should never have gotten to a freakin' 12-page count.

Contica

Feb 1, 2016
All solid points, but I doubt the devs will openly admit to making the model less feminine because woke.

In any case, I consider this whole thing a minor issue which should never have gotten to a freakin' 12-page count.
It's not an issue at all. I'm in disbelief that anyone cares. I can’t comprehend how it's not just trolling.

Feb 7, 2018
"What? you don't like this long chin man looking woman? what do you want then? a fuckdoll?"
It's not an issue at all. I'm in disbelief that anyone cares. I can’t comprehend how it's not just trolling.
It's an issue for a lot of people, an ugly third person protag is like a first person protag with an annoying voice. Even if it has no effect on gameplay, it will affect enjoyment of the story and the design of the game, and will grind on your nerves after a while, in this case being the eyes.

Negotiator

Jun 28, 2011
Attractive women go against the feminist narrative that these companies took it upon themselves to push. I actually think they hate them more then they hate men.
This makes sense. Even David Jaffe and one of his former female colleagues have said that ugly women and their bitter experiences with men have forged their personalities in the... wrong direction.

Do attractive women need feminism? No, because (throughout human history) female attractiveness has always been the biggest weapon of women.

It's the same reason rich people don't need communism. Why would they need it?

Only a sick brain could devise social experiments that go against the human nature and leave millions of depressed victims when they eventually collapse:

I guess exploiting the lowly instincts of bitter people is the best way to manipulate them. Divide et impera at its finest.

Contica

Feb 1, 2016
"What? you don't like this long chin man looking woman? what do you want then? a fuckdoll?"

It's an issue for a lot of people, an ugly third person protag is like a first person protag with an annoying voice. Even if it has no effect on gameplay, it will affect enjoyment of the story and the design of the game, and will grind on your nerves after a while, in this case being the eyes.
I care more about the nuances of the story and acting than whether or not I'd approach her in a bar.

Saying it's an issue for a lot of people seems a bit exaggerated.

FireFly

Aug 5, 2007
Feb 7, 2018
I care more about the nuances of the story and acting than whether or not I'd approach her in a bar.

Saying it's an issue for a lot of people seems a bit exaggerated.
-i played that game only because of the soundtrack
-okay

-i played that game only because of the gameplay mechanics
-okay

-i played that game only because of the graphics
-okay

-i played that game only because of the story
-okay

-i played that game only because of the good character design
-OMFG ASDF@R$I##HN *incoherent screeching*

A lot of people like feminin attractive women in their games and it's a deciding factor for them if they will buy a game or not. if you can't accept that then that makes you positively unhinged.

This looks good to you? lol

Last edited:

Contica

Feb 1, 2016
-i played that game only because of the soundtrack
-okay

-i played that game only because of the gameplay mechanics
-okay

-i played that game only because of the graphics
-okay

-i played that game only because of the story
-okay

-i played that game only because of the good character design
-OMFG ASDF@R$I##HN *incoherent screeching*

A lot of people like feminin attractive women in their games and it's a deciding factor for them if they will buy a game or not. if you can't accept that then that makes you positively unhinged.

This looks good to you? lol
I accept it just fine. I just find it incredibly shallow. You're denying yourself a lot of great art and experience if having a sexy woman front and center is that crucial to you .

Oh, and creating a lot of quotes and applying them to me without me ever having been anywhere near them doesn't make your point stronger , it makes it weaker.

• LOL
Reactions: Rurouni Kenshin

Contica

Feb 1, 2016
She still looks noticeably more masculine than the actress, and even that same actress in their previous game. The best shots that you can take are still unattractive.
For the umpteenth time.. So what? Why does it matter? Why is it a problem? Why do you care?

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018
For the umpteenth time.. So what? Why does it matter? Why is it a problem? Why do you care?
Because it's gross, and there is a clear agenda. If you want to be generous, and say they just lost their rendering skills since Quantum Break. That's fine, it doesn't want to make me support this game anymore either way.

Contica

Feb 1, 2016
Because it's gross, and there is a clear agenda. If you want to be generous, and say they just lost their rendering skills since Quantum Break. That's fine, it doesn't want to make me support this game anymore either way.
Haha, you guys are something else. The rendering and animation in this game is stunning. It must suck being so paranoid and conspiratoric. Your loss.

Clear agendy... Funny how the people complaining about this seem to have one major thing in common. Haven't actually played the game.

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018
Haha, you guys are something else. The rendering and animation in this game is stunning. It must suck being so paranoid and conspiratoric. Your loss.

Clear agendy... Funny how the people complaining about this seem to have one major thing in common. Haven't actually played the game.
I'm not going to pay 60 dollars to look at ugly people for 5 to 8 hours if the game is just okay.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018

Oh fuck off. I got the game for free when I got my RTX. This game isn't above criticism and jokes you tool.

Their is nothing about this game that is stunning

Last edited:

Stimpak

Jun 20, 2019
California, USA

Interesting that you wrote a whole wall addressing one aspect of my post that was a hypothetical suggestion.

I honestly don’t care that much about this game to go and question the developers, period.

Didn’t mean to upset anyone, nor was it my intent to troll, or rustle jimmies over a game I wasn’t going to buy or play to begin with.

I just feel it’s ridiculous that because we don’t like a video game characters aesthetics, we’re somehow 14 year old horn dogs.

And that is the rock hard impression I get from anyone complaining about the light hearted ridicule I (and others) have engaged ITT.

Good talk, mate.

Contica

Feb 1, 2016
Oh fuck off. I got the game for free when I got my RTX. This game isn't above criticism and jokes you tool.

Their is nothing about this game that is stunning
I don't think anyone said it was. Claiming the main character design is agenda driven by wokeness and an attempt to remove pretty girls from entertainment however, is highly deserving of criticism.

Reactions: josherjohn

Negotiator

Jun 28, 2011

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
I don't think anyone said it was. Claiming the main character design is agenda driven by wokeness and an attempt to remove pretty girls from entertainment however, is highly deserving of criticism.
It’s an opinion that people are allowed to have.

Just as much as other people are allowed to think whatever they want about other games and their design choices. We can hear people cry a million times about developers making content tailored to men, so how is this different.

Reactions: Stimpak

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018
All your bullshit reasons for the MC of Control looking like a man don't hold up. It had to be a conscious decision to make her jaw that big. It wasn't like that in Quantum Break.

FireFly

Aug 5, 2007
She still looks noticeably more masculine than the actress, and even that same actress in their previous game. The best shots that you can take are still unattractive.
So now I am playing through the game, and the in-game (gameplay) character model looks perfectly fine, which I think explains why none of the "bad examples" are taken from the player camera. I mean yes, I guess I agree that if you were to make a side-by-side comparison, she looks darker, more serious and less feminine. But 1.) she still looks like an average person, and not some kind of monster 2.) That suits the character, I think. She is no less weird than any of the other inhabitants of the bureau, and you *are not supposed to identify with her*. She's not some hero come to save the day, but someone lost in a world that the player doesn't understand.

Even if we do agree that she looks ugly (which, I personally don't), why can't games depict ugly people? I mean think about it rationally. The Hiss itself, and the people it possesses are ugly! The game is designed to make you feel uncomfortable. So if you object to having an ugly main character, why aren't you also objecting to horrifying enemies?

I think the reason is that this is nothing to do with what actually works in the game, but a reaction to a perceived political decision.

(Regarding the cutscenes, in some of the angles her face looks a little weird, I guess due to the lighting and the fact they have you looking up into her face. Also her eyes seem sort of dead, which adds to the uncanny valley look. )

Last edited:
Reactions: Contica

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018
So now I am playing through the game, and the in-game (gameplay) character model looks perfectly fine, which I think explains why none of the "bad examples" are taken from the player camera. I mean yes, I guess I agree that if you were to make a side-by-side comparison, she looks darker, more serious and less feminine. But 1.) she still looks like an average person, and not some kind of monster 2.) That suits the character, I think. She is no less weird than any of the other inhabitants of the bureau, and you *are not supposed to identify with her*. She's not some hero come to save the day, but someone lost in a world that the player doesn't understand.

Even if we do agree that she looks ugly (which, I personally don't), why can't games depict ugly people? I mean think about it rationally. The Hiss itself, and the people it possesses are ugly! The game is designed to make you feel uncomfortable. So if you object to having an ugly main character, why aren't you also objecting to horrifying enemies?

I think the reason is that this is nothing to do with what actually works in the game, but a reaction to a perceived political decision.

(Regarding the cutscenes, in some of the angles her face looks a little weird, I guess due to the lighting and the fact they have you looking up into her face. Also her eyes seem sort of dead, which adds to the uncanny valley look. )
Well they should have hit the gyms for someone that actually looks like Chyna if that's what they were going for. I'm very offended that they still hired an attractive women. Why do these devs always hire pretty women for the roles if they are going for ugly?

Reactions: Denjo92

levyjl1988

Jan 31, 2010
Canada, Toronto
Truth: I didn’t buy Control because the protagonist isn’t attractive.

Truth: I didn’t buy Quantum Break because the protagonist looked boring.

Truth: Last game I bought was Alan Wake but quit mid way through because the themoses were the size of the character and it broke the immersion. Stupid collectables.

lefty1117

Mar 20, 2017
The simplest answer is usually the correct one. It just looks like a bad job by the artists - perhaps bad isn't the right word, let's just say inaccurate as compared to the actress. Her face looks just a bit too elongated and out of proportion, but it's probably down to a development issue rather than some social agenda. Time to calm down with the conspiracy theories.

Reactions: Closer

Contica

Feb 1, 2016
I guess you missed this one:

So you're trying to prove Remedy's woke agenda by linking to an article that doesn't mention Remedy, Control, Jesse Faden or anything else actually related to the game?

It’s an opinion that people are allowed to have.

Just as much as other people are allowed to think whatever they want about other games and their design choices. We can hear people cry a million times about developers making content tailored to men, so how is this different.
I'm not denying your right to an opinion. I've stated in this very thread that I value your right to have an opinion I think is shit. But I will attack your opinion if I think it's shit. If you can't deal with that I suggest you find a hobby.

All your bullshit reasons for the MC of Control looking like a man don't hold up. It had to be a conscious decision to make her jaw that big. It wasn't like that in Quantum Break.

I don't even know what to say. I want to laugh, but it's not really funny, and I kinda feel sorry for you.

tet666

Sep 10, 2018
I think it's on purpose everyone in the game looks a bit like a caricature even Emily Pope who ppl here seem to think looks attractive, reminds me a bit of the movie Brazil which has a similar weird setting and art style. I don't think it has anything to do with "agendas" or whatever political bullshit Americans seem to be so fond of these days, the devs are Finns so they probably couldn't care less about that.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

..he neus nothing
Jan 21, 2018
Republic of Catalonia
So you're trying to prove Remedy's woke agenda by linking to an article that doesn't mention Remedy, Control, Jesse Faden or anything else actually related to the game?
Nice deflection.

But this isn't about Remedy alone, this is about a political agenda being pushed in the entire industry that is well reflected in that article.

bhunachicken

Apr 11, 2018
I'm not sure it's pandering. I think the modellers just messed up.

The God of War team did a great job with Danielle Bisutti as Freya: