• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why doesn't gaming press ask about what happened to snake in Smash? I need closure.

Jawmuncher

This is a serious question. I know a lot of people are going to come in here and tell me to let it go, or give me their theories with no actual facts as to why he was cut. But the biggest part that has bothered me is that no one ever asks Konami or Nintendo about this on the gaming press side. Is it that hard to throw in the question once in awhile with the higher brass? Having no clear cut answer on this is just the absolute worst.
The only time we even got a response about it was because Zalman's question was asked to Kojima during a interview with Geoff Keighley. I wouldn't have to be here repeating the question if someone higher up would just give me the actual answer as to why. I just want some closure on this topic. Even i've becoming tired of thinking and asking about it.
For those wondering why I make such a big deal about this all the time, the answer is simple. Snake being added to smash to this day, has still been the single greatest moment in gaming for me. To the point that i'm not even sure a new Dino Crisis game would top it (though it would definitely be up there). It was the sort of addition that felt like they read my mind and decided to go with it.
I know character's get cut all the time from fighting games, but I think a lot of people here can agree smash has always been a special case with any of it's cuts. It seems like many people myself included get far more attached to their favorite character's in smash than they do other fighting games. I think a large part is due to the social aspect of it. A lot of time Smash is played with a group of friends of 4 or more. In that sort of set up, character's are naturally going to gravitate towards players and sort of represent them. I'm sure people here who even play the whole board at the end of the day still have a character they call their favorite, especially among friends.
I will never give up on his return to smash, but the uncertainty that surrounds him is a tough burden to deal with. Plus who doesn't want a Snake Amiibo?
I'm dead serious when i say i'll get a NX and Smash Day One just for Snake. If this thread wasn't enough of a indication of that.
Replies to topics I expect to see in this thread
"Snake was a bad fit for smash and was a terrible character. Good Riddance"
- You're a bad person and should feel bad. You also probably steal candy from babies.

"Snake was cut due to issues with Konami/Kojima"
- I can see why this is the most popular theory. The stuff that went on there was particularly odd and not very nice. But game development on smash might have preceded that. There's usually talk that the roster is decided well in advance, though some changes are made. But while the most popular theory, it's lacking any hard evidence to really support it.

"MGSV wasn't on WiiU, that's why he was cut"
- Just no

"Gaming Press have better things to ask about"
- I dunno about all of that.

"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one in the same thing." -Solid Snake
solidnsnakessbb530pxhjtjpk.jpg

FZZ

Banned
Cause it's not that important OP

Also Konami is a bag of dicks

I see this is an expected reply, dunno what you expected lmao

Closure on why Snake isn't in Smash? Simple: it was a one time thing, possibly arranged by Kojima. NeoKonami doesn't give a shit about Snake Amiibo or Cameos in anything that doesn't involve Pachinko or Remakes.

Cause it's not that important OP

Also Konami is a bag of dicks

I see this is an expected reply, dunno what you expected lmao

Lol wow you're really insightful

OP, I'm sure it's not something you can get a very straightforward answer on from Konami, and Kojima is probably pretty sore about it too. Sakurai is the one I really wanna ask because I'm sure he'd tell me all the details. My suspicion is that it really was just Konami being meddlesome.

Platy

Snake was in brawl because Kojima asked in the end of Meele's production.

They did Smash 4 and Kojima never asked.

End of the story

Sakurai probably was asked by Iwata x nintendo if he wanted Snake back and since he is buddies with Kojima he probably declined due to what happened with Konami x Kojima

Konami is a business, they would have gave Nintendo snake if they paid and I doubt it'd be much
it was all about the friendship

PSqueak

Banned
I think the turn of events at Konami basically asnwered the question implicitly, what happened? Konami fucked over Kojima over MGS.

Kojima should just make up a new character that can take all of Snakes moves, launch an exclusive game for NX with him on it so he can be in smash and then just branch out to the other platforms.

Because Snake isn't that important as a whole to Smash, or in general. Never really was beyond a one-time shock value.

And No, prefacing your topic by deflecting valid answers isn't a good argument.

Griss

Snake was a bad fit for smash and was a terrible character. Good Riddance.

Honestly at this point half the roster should be cut from the next one.

Azuran

Banned
Snake was a bad fit for smash and was a terrible character. Good Riddance.

Honestly at this point half the roster should be cut from the next one.

No he wasn't. Snake fit perfectly with the rest of the cast.

There's no such thing as a "bad fit" in Smash considering 2/3 of those characters shouldn't even be together in the same game and work so well in the first place.

Ivan 3414

Because Snake isn't that important as a whole to Smash, or in general. Never really was beyond a one-time shock value.

And No, prefacing your topic by deflecting valid answers isn't a good argument.

Ah so that's what happened

Konami: Can Snake be in Smash Bros again

Sakurai: No Snake isn't that important to Smash, now stop bothering me I'm trying to figure out how to get three Marth characters and Cloud into the same game

Konami: Lol k at least we tried

You figured it out, champ

Mr-Joker

Banned
Snake fans really need to let it go as the chances of him return is 0% due to development on Smash 4 being over.

As for the why the press never asked why he didn't return? Probably because they didn't think that it was worth asking and they are right as we got a good roster and Snake being absent meant that they could focus on new characters.

Furthermore Ice Climber, Wolf, Pichu, Squirtle and Ivysaur got cut so Snake is not the only character who got cut.

My guess is that Snake was put on the back burner to make way for the characters that came out during launch. If there was enough demand for Snake, they would have seriously considered adding him in later as DLC along with a bunch of the other characters that came out as DLC. Somewhere down the line, though, the Konami/Kojima business was beginning to take hold, and Konami being Konami probably had no interest in bringing him back.

Sakurai and Kojima are also friends IIRC, so perhaps Sakurai refused to include him out of respect for Kojima or so that he wouldn't have to bow down to Konami. That's all just speculation, but I'd also like to hear the full story.

Ah so that's what happened

You figured it out, champ

Well at least this is a fair response, though never said Sakurai said anything like that but ok I guess. Didn't mean to make that first part sound like an objective fact. My bad.

In general though Snake being in Smash or not really isn't a hot button issue to too many people other than vocal MGS fans I've noticed. Probably why there hasn't been much questioning on it. There could probably also be a lot of behind the scenes stuff that Sakurai or Nintendo simply can't say about it all, for legal reasons or otherwise. So even if they DID ask, I seriously doubt either company could give too much info, or would want to. Then again, who knows?

I'm guessing both Konami and Nintendo didn't give a shit and didn't make another deal/agreement. It's one thing to get a third party character in a first party game, it's another to keep them. It just doesn't matter to them as much as it did to you. No conspiracy or anything.

Ryu, Megaman, Bayonetta and whatever other third party characters aren't guaranteed to be in the next one either.

Platy

But Kojima said he wanted to see snake in Smash 4 though?

He said in a LIVESTREAM a few months before the game is released.

Kojima said:
I’m not working on that game so I don’t know, but I don’t think that’s likely. I don’t know. Well if Mr. Sakurai is watching this, please use Snake.

Dude didn't even had the decency to talk directly to Sakurai !
If I was Sakurai I would say "fuck this dude"

My guess is that Snake was put on the back burner to make way for the characters that came out during launch. If there was enough demand for Snake, they would have seriously considered adding him in later as DLC along with a bunch of the other characters that came out as DLC. Somewhere down the line, though, the Konami/Kojima business was beginning to take hold, and Konami being Konami probably had no interest in bringing him back.

Sakurai and Kojima are also friends IIRC, so perhaps Sakurai refused to include him out of respect for Kojima or so that he wouldn't have to bow down to Konami. That's all just speculation, but I'd also like to hear the full story.

Being realistic I think this is the most likely situation. Sonic is Sonic so he was obviously coming back (hell, getting him back could've been somewhere in all the 3-game exclusive contract's mumbo jumbo), and Sakurai really wanted to put in Mega Man and Pac-Man. With that much going on at once (you've got developmental resources, licenses with the companies to work out), it's easy to maybe bump Snake down a notch now that the novelty has worn off and he was only really included as a favour to Kojima to begin with.

It was all the post-development Konami madness that pretty much shut that door. And of course - it's not like that all happened overnight. Things have been wack in Konami for a looooong time most likely.

I always assumed it was because Nintendo didn't want to pay for Keifer Sutherland.

I doubt they'd want to pay him either, but he only voiced Big Boss, not Solid Snake.

Just like how you note that the roster would be decided well in advance, I'm guessing the changes happening internally at Konami were also happening well in advance.

Zubz

Banned
At this point, Jawmuncher wanting Snake back is my favorite Internet drama.

I'm really surprised that no one pressed this question, though, even if the answer (The well-documented Konami/Kojima feud and a non-presence from Konami on Wii U) seems obvious.

emb

I don't think the answer would be very interesting. Probably just something like "Negotiations just didn't work out". Guess it would be nice though to know if Nintendo asked and Konami refused, vice versa, or if it's something that just never got brought up. First option seems the most realistic to me.

Piers

He said in a LIVESTREAM a few months before the game is released.

Dude didn't even had the decency to talk directly to Sakurai !
If I was Sakurai I would say "fuck this dude"

Kojima just didn't seem keen on putting his games on Nintendo platforms. Nintendo had to request him, iirc, and what we got was a remake of MGS1. And then MGS3.
Begging Sakurai seems earnest but with the MGS4 material in Brawl before it was released, it sort of rubbed off more as a promotional agenda than bumping elbows with Super Smash Bros.

SaikyoBro

It's a big issue to me as a Metal Gear and Smash fan but to the rest of the world it's a single character in a fighting game with a huge roster. It's frustrating but not surprising that no one has really bothered asking.

It's even less surprising when you realize that interviews with Sakurai are pretty rare (especially since the game has been out for almost two years). If we were going to hear about character cuts it probably would've been in his famitsu column, but I guess that's just a part of the process he usually doesn't like talking about. Maybe if Smash NX is real someone will get a chance to ask him.

L Thammy

"Mr. Sakurai, why isn't Snake in Smash?"
"Konami."
"Oh, okay."

Several minutes later

"Why is this article so short?"

Top Bottom