• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why doesn't gaming press ask about what happened to snake in Smash? I need closure.

It's a big issue to me as a Metal Gear and Smash fan but to the rest of the world it's a single character in a fighting game with a huge roster. It's frustrating but not surprising that no one has really bothered asking.

It's even less surprising when you realize that interviews with Sakurai are pretty rare (especially since the game has been out for almost two years). If we were going to hear about character cuts it probably would've been in his famitsu column, but I guess that's just a part of the process he usually doesn't like talking about. Maybe if Smash NX is real someone will get a chance to ask him.

Sakurai is really weird because when a character gets cut, he flat-out stops acknowledging them. He's said that cuts really pain him, so it's almost like he doesn't even want to think about it. I actually think his explanation of why the Ice Climbers didn't make SSB4 is the only time he specifically acknowledged a character being cut and why.

JazzmanZ

Sakurai probably did try and make a deal with Konami, but whatever happened behind closed doors didn't reach a conclusion.

Could be because the license was to high, Sakurai wanted Hideos input and Konami balked, or Konami didn't agree with the contract.

Whatever happened Snake didn't make it very far from the planning stages, unlike say Ice Climbers or the Rhythm heaven character.

UnknownPitifulChupacabra.gif

Because with all the shit surrounding Konami nowadays do you really think there's ever going to a be a venue with them for the question: "Why isn't Solid Snake in Smash Bros."?

The reason is probably Konami being dicks though.

NoKisum

Forget Snake. The press needs to ask why Sakurai cut Offline Tournaments from Wii U.

Unless he's saving it for the NX port maybe?

Platy

The problem is NOT KONAMI

KOJIMA had the ego of a DINOSSAUR and was thinking that he didn't needed to go to the "lower level" and ACTUALY TALK TO THE PEOPLE CREATING SMASH WITH ENOGHT TIME TO MAKE THE FUCKING CHARACTER and that only mentioning it on a STREAM would be enoght for people to include snake JUST A FEW MONTHS FROM RELEASE

KOJIMA failed, not KONAMI

Kojima asking to late for Meele was the reason Snake was in Brawl and Kojima barely asking too late was the reason Snake wasn't in Smash 4

I remember you saying that you'll stop when all the characters where confirmed.

I think it time to accept it. No way Sakurai was going to be able to deal with Konami. I'm plus I feel Sakurai would've wanted Hayter to voice him in the English version. Or maybe his friendship with Kojima made him decide not to deal with Sakurai.

I say move on.

MooMilk2929

I think the reason is cause Snakes last game on a Nintendo system was yet another port of a really old game. 2 generations old. They didn't even get the Metal Gear HD collection.

pizzacat

Banned
The problem is NOT KONAMI

KOJIMA had the ego of a DINOSSAUR and was thinking that he didn't needed to go to the "lower level" and ACTUALY TALK TO THE PEOPLE CREATING SMASH WITH ENOGHT TIME TO MAKE THE FUCKING CHARACTER and that only mentioning it on a STREAM would be enoght for people to include snake JUST A FEW MONTHS FROM RELEASE

KOJIMA failed, not KONAMI

Kojima asking to late for Meele was the reason Snake was in Brawl and Kojima barely asking too late was the reason Snake wasn't in Smash 4
what comic book plot is this

I think the reason is cause Snakes last game on a Nintendo system was yet another port of a really old game. 2 generations old. They didn't even get the Metal Gear HD collection.

I don't think presence on Nintendo consoles is what held Snake back considering we have Cloud.

Interesting bump...

The logical reason has been said. Kojima wanted Snake in Brawl (well, Melee first) and he and Sakurai are friends so Sakurai made it happen. The same scenario did not occur with Smash 4. End of story.

-shadow-

Well it is true that he wanted Snake in Melee but development of the game was already well underway and adding him was way too late. So honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he's not in WiiU/3DS because Kojima didn't ask in advance if he could return.

I don't think presence on Nintendo consoles is what held Snake back considering we have Cloud.

I think the main difference is square do a fair amount of software for Nintendo handhelds, konami does pretty much bugger all for Nintendo. The Nintendo-Square relationship is therefore probably a lot stronger than the Nintendo-Konami relationship, and I can reasonably imagine that continuing on to NX.

Cloud has popped up in a few Nintendo hardware ff games, albeit spin offs, and there are plenty of final fantasy games on Nintendo hardware. The series still has a place with Nintendo, so the series was able to get a rep in smash. That they went with the most popular character whose main game wasnt in Nintendo clearly didn't matter to Nintendo or Sakurai.

This is the company that decided that the best way to regain Metal Gear fans' trust is a MGS3 pachinko and a zombie shooter. "Closure" is unlikely to be high in their list of priorities.

Harpuia

It was a once in a lifetime chance.

I am willing to bet that it's because Konami did not have interest in renewing the deal. Why there was no interest is beyond me. There's a million things about Snake in SSB4 that we may never know. Maybe they didn't see much of a point since their efforts at the time of SSB4's development may have been on other things (MGSV hype machine). I am certain somewhere along the way they must've done the numbers, and decided having Snake around for SSB4 probably wouldn't help them out too much. It may have even cost them more than it's worth!

From what I recall, Nintendo are usually the ones who are approached, not the other way around. Megaman was asked to be put in, I believe, Brawl - but by the time Capcom got around to asking, Nintendo was pretty far into development of the game. Hence why Megaman finally ended up in SSB4.

Cloud is in at least three current generation Nintendo games besides Smash.

I think the main difference is square do a fair amount of software for Nintendo handhelds, konami does pretty much bugger all for Nintendo. The Nintendo-Square relationship is therefore probably a lot stronger than the Nintendo-Konami relationship, and I can reasonably imagine that continuing on to NX.

Cloud has popped up in a few Nintendo hardware ff games, albeit spin offs, and there are plenty of final fantasy games on Nintendo hardware. The series still has a place with Nintendo, so the series was able to get a rep in smash. That they went with the most popular character whose main game wasnt in Nintendo clearly didn't matter to Nintendo or Sakurai.

That's my point. The number of games they have on Nintendo hardware isn't the single reason why Cloud is in and Snake isn't. The idea that Sakurai has some arbitrary measure as to why "X third-party character once featured on a Nintendo system is more relevant to Nintendo than Y character, therefore X will be in the game and not Y" really doesn't hold any ground anymore, which is what I'm getting at.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I don't mind that Snake wasn't in Smash 4, but I do wonder why they didn't apply his movement to anyone else. For example take a random character from Advanced Wars and give Snake's moveset to her or him.

Platy

https://www.engadget.com/2012/03/19/thank-kojimas-son-for-getting-snake-into-smash-bros-brawl/

"When I was developing Super Smash Bros. Melee for GameCube, Hideo Kojima contacted me and practically begged me to put him in there, but at that time we were deep in dev and it was too late," Sakurai told Kotaku back in 2006

http://nintendoeverything.com/kojima-wants-snake-in-the-new-smash-bros-but-its-not-likely-to-happen/

Kojima’s comments in full: "I’m not working on that game so I don’t know, but I don’t think that’s likely. I don’t know. Well if Mr. Sakurai is watching this, please use Snake."

So basicaly in the Brawl Kojima begged so much that he ended up in brawl. In Smash 4 he basicaly forgot and said on a stream that sakurai was not watching to put it FIVE MONTHS BEFORE THE GAME WAS RELEASED.

IF HE WENT TO DIRECTLY TALK TO SAKURAI like last time, than we would have snake. Kojima could not bother to move his ass

I don't mind that Snake wasn't in Smash 4, but I do wonder why they didn't apply his movement to anyone else. For example take a random character from Advanced Wars and give Snake's moveset to her or him.

I keep hearing this idea thrown around a lot and I don't understand it. Snake's moveset was designed around Snake being, well, Snake. It only really fits him. Not to mention that Sakurai would have more integrity than to introduce a brand new series to Smash, only to give its playable representative a carry-over clone moveset instead of creating something unique and true to the character from the ground up.

Sakurai would just simply be more willing to throw out a moveset all together rather than force it onto another character. I mean you don't see Ivysaur and Squirtle's movesets being used by anyone else.

baphomet

How anyone could care so much about something so pointless amazes me.

He was in smash as cross promotion for twin snakes. No reason to pay to have him in a sequel.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
https://www.engadget.com/2012/03/19/thank-kojimas-son-for-getting-snake-into-smash-bros-brawl/

http://nintendoeverything.com/kojima-wants-snake-in-the-new-smash-bros-but-its-not-likely-to-happen/

So basicaly in the Brawl Kojima begged so much that he ended up in brawl. In Smash 4 he basicaly forgot and said on a stream that sakurai was not watching to put it FIVE MONTHS BEFORE THE GAME WAS RELEASED.

IF HE WENT TO DIRECTLY TALK TO SAKURAI like last time, than we would have snake. Kojima could not bother to move his ass

There's your answer, Jaw. Kojima didn't ask.

How anyone could care so much about something so pointless amazes me.

He was in smash as cross promotion for twin snakes. No reason to pay to have him in a sequel.

Yes, cross promotion for the 4 year old game on the previous generation console. :|

baphomet

TS didn't have anything to do with him getting into Smash. Keep in mind that Sakurai was actually totally okay with including Snake all the way back to Melee, there just wasn't enough time to.

You're right. But he was begged to be put in there for that reason, which is why he eventually turned up in there.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I keep hearing this idea thrown around a lot and I don't understand it. Snake's moveset was designed around Snake being, well, Snake. It only really fits him. Not to mention that Sakurai would have more integrity than to introduce a brand new series to Smash, only to give its playable representative a carry-over clone moveset instead of creating something unique and true to the character from the ground up.

Sakurai would just simply be more willing to throw out a moveset all together rather than force it onto another character. I mean you don't see Ivysaur and Squirtle's movesets being used by anyone else.

I'm having a hard time believing this post for two reasons. Other than the box and super, Snake's moveset is based on guns, grenades, and a couple of punch kick combos. There are other videogame characters who use these. Heck, Rolento from Capcom could have been used in place of Snake. My second reason is the existence of Ganondorf. Even though the Zelda games gave him awesome moves unique to him, he remains to be a Captain Falcon clone.

MooMilk2929

Big Boss has been the focus of the series for years. I doubt they were gonna use Solid Snake if they put a Metal Gear character. Solid Snake probably would have been a trophy.

MooMilk2929

He was also the most recent Metal Gear Solid character to star in a game on a Nintendo system. They'd wanna plug MGS3 on 3DS, not MGS1,2,4 on PS systems.

As well on the Sutherland issue, if that is a problem, then Snake would either

A) Be undubbed, like Cloud
B) Reuse his Brawl clips, like most of the Brawl veterans
or C) They'd just get David Hayter again, because again - Kiefer was only cast as Big Boss. Not Solid Snake.

Big Boss has been the focus of the series for years. I doubt they were gonna use Solid Snake if they put a Metal Gear character. Solid Snake probably would have been a trophy.

Sakurai is the person who refuses to change Ganondorf's moveset and repeatedly emphasizes the importance of returning veterans. What would be the point in cutting Snake to replace him with somebody who's named differently but looks (generally - assuming this is MGS3 era Boss) the same? Would this require a new moveset? Removing Snake entirely would be pointless in this situation. If a new moveset, it gets rid of a unique veteran for ambiguous gain. If the same moveset, then why not simply have Big Boss as a skin or clone? Thinking it has to exclusively be one or the other is a strange idea.

He was also the most recent Metal Gear Solid character to star in a game on a Nintendo system. They'd wanna plug MGS3 on 3DS, not MGS1,2,4 on PS systems.

Street Fighter V is a PS4 console exclusive. Didn't stop Ryu. FFVII being a PS1 exclusive way back when, ending the series's traditional ties to Nintendo, and even now only having the remake confirmed for PS4 didn't stop Cloud.

This line of thinking isn't what gets characters added or removed. The idea that characters are chosen to be in Smash solely to plug new games is basically just fans trying to rationalize patterns that aren't there.

Gleethor

Honestly? Sakurai and Kojima are friends, Sakurai was probably aware of the problems between Kojima and Konami and probably didn't even ask Konami out of respect for his friend.

I doubt Konami has a problem with Snake being in Smash.

Top Bottom