• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why doesn't Nintendo release SNES- and N64-games for the virtual console of the 3DS?

RedSwirl

Correct me if I'm wrong, but right now retro Nintendo games on 3DS aren't exactly rom dump on emulator, but rather remakes of the games for 3DS.

Each ROM is dumped into its own emulator jacket. It's probably why Nintendo's VC releases are much slower than, say, Sony's classics, which are all ISOs dumped into a single emulator (that sometimes get's updated).

What people seem to be missing is that it's not as simple as "oh it works in homebrew". It does, sure, but then you have people saying it's at "near perfect" speed. Near perfect is not enough for Nintendo.

Nintendo want the games running as they did (if not better) than on the original consoles, and having it be "near perfect" is an issue. Then there's the Virtual Console features. Just throwing the GBA binaries on the handheld and selling them would be terrible, especially as they don't activate sleep mode when you close the 3DS.

There's also the issue of accuracy. This article will explain why it takes a 3GHz PC machine to accurately emulate a SNES.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/...-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

People say it'd be fine as they can get them working through other methods, but can you imagine the hell Nintendo would get for releasing imperfect Virtual Console releases with speed issues, accuracy etc.? Nintendo want to get it as close to the original as possible and cutting corners just to get them out is not their style.

It's not just a matter of "SNES has XMhz but 3DS has X+YMHz so it should be running better". It's not a straight conversion. The consoles had different architecture which is why emulation is necessary.

As has been said, the NX...both handheld and portable are said to absorb Wii U architecture and run the same OS with similar architecture to eachother. As such, developing the Virtual Console further for the 3DS and N3DS to try and get SNES working, especially as the 3DS has less life ahead than it has behind, is a waste of resources. By putting the focus on the Wii U, they'll be far more easily be able to have it run on both the upcoming handheld and home console, possibly even completely at launch which has been hinted by Iwata

Yep, this is why Virtual Console just sucks. They aim for an accurate emulation, which takes long, but in the end, the experience can vary a lot depending of the game.
Nintendo is a joke on that matter, treating old release as new releases.
N64 VC should've started with all their classics.

VLiberty

"Unfortunately" PSP spoiled us. Near perfect PS1 emulation in a sub-PS2 level machine, while 3ds can't even get gba and snes game running.
Vita is no better, I was expecting ps2 support.

JoeM86

Because Nintendo.

So, even with the extra processing power of the N3DS Nintendi still can't figure out how to run GBA/SNES?

It's not "can't figure out", it's "can't get it working across the board to an acceptable level"

Yep, this is why Virtual Console just sucks. They aim for an accurate emulation, which takes long, but in the end, the experience can vary a lot depending of the game.
Nintendo is a joke on that matter, treating old release as new releases.
N64 VC should've started with all their classics.

The complaints would be much higher and louder if they just cut corners like you recommend and thus there are issues.

Madao

i still can't believe people seriously don't think the 3DS can emulate SNES when the Wii (and Gamecube) were capable of emulating N64 games pretty close. sure, some looked iffy but they have better documentation to make possible things that homebrew would struggle with.

Do tell. There are very few emulation issues in the release Virtual Console titles.

This entire thread is about them fucking up with VC releases dude, and the input lag on Mario 64 alone is unforgivably sloppy.

And let's not forget the huge number of existing emulators out there, many of which run better, have more available games and at higher resolutions than what Nintendo are putting out themselves, including ones that run GBA titles just fine on 3DS.

Nintendo aren't perfect, they're not some saintly organisation that only ever makes the right choices for the right reasons. You really need to accept that and cut back on blindly defending everything they ever do.

"Unfortunately" PSP spoiled us. Near perfect PS1 emulation in a sub-PS2 level machine, while 3ds can't even get gba and snes game running.
Vita is no better, I was expecting ps2 support.
If anything, it was PS1 which spoiled you. The machine is ludicrously "sensible" compared to its brethren (it has its quirks, but compared to PS2...). Maybe Genny would come close to that, and maybe not.

Pandy

The GBA games that ambassadors got were hackjobs, and you think it could run SNES or N64?

Hackjob is a kinda negative way of looking at it. It taps into the latent DS ability to play GBA games natively, but that comes at the cost of the lovely user experience extras that are now standard in the 3DS OS, such as being able to press the home button to suspend the software, browse the internet, then return to the game where you left it.

The 3DS isn't able to emulate these systems while at the same time retaining the OS in the background, and that's why the focus has been on the WiiU VC, which can emulate these (or at least some titles from these systems) without interrupting the overall user experience.

Pandy

This entire thread is about them fucking up with VC releases dude, and the input lag on Mario 64 alone is unforgivably sloppy.

Did GAF ever get to the bottom of this, because last time I checked it was a problem for some, but not all users?
The game worked perfectly for me, played using the Pro Controller, so I wondered if people were calling it 'input lag' when what they meant was the deadzones on the WiiU sticks were larger than on the N64 stick. That was an issue in a couple of spots when trying to walk carefully on narrow ledges, but otherwise I had no issues.

(I've yet to play DK64, so I can't speak for the issues reported there.)

Do tell. There are very few emulation issues in the released Virtual Console titles.

You are the ultimate apologist but have made this thread an entertaining read, thank you.

OP, glad I'm not the only one who noticed PM looks darker. At first I thought it was an issue with my TV but after stumbling across this thread I can see Nintendo is just doing a lazy job.

bengraven

I was pretty pissed to learn recently when I got my 3DS that they abandoned attempting to do GBA games and instead just dumped them on the Wii U instead, where it makes less sense.

Madao

Did GAF ever get to the bottom of this, because last time I checked it was a problem for some, but not all users?
The game worked perfectly for me, played using the Pro Controller, so I wondered if people were calling it 'input lag' when what they meant was the deadzones on the WiiU sticks were larger than on the N64 stick. That was an issue in a couple of spots when trying to walk carefully on narrow ledges, but otherwise I had no issues.

(I've yet to play DK64, so I can't speak for the issues reported there.)

the input lag is there. many people just don't feel it.

jax

Banned
SNES games play very well on the New 3DS. I wish Nintendo would set up some sort of subscription service for these games.

JoeM86

You are the ultimate apologist but have made this thread an entertaining read, thank you.

Na, I'm not an apologist. I just explain things rather than go in with the "Damn that Nintendo" attitude that exists.

When they mess up, I do join in the complaining, don't you worry :p

Regardless, the next handheld/console will share similar architecture that absorbs Wii U architecture and will have the same OS and it has been implied by Iwata that the VC lineup will be there at launch, so we may not need to worry or complain about this much longer.

Krejlooc

Banned
What people seem to be missing is that it's not as simple as "oh it works in homebrew". It does, sure, but then you have people saying it's at "near perfect" speed. Near perfect is not enough for Nintendo.

Nintendo want the games running as they did (if not better) than on the original consoles, and having it be "near perfect" is an issue. Then there's the Virtual Console features. Just throwing the GBA binaries on the handheld and selling them would be terrible, especially as they don't activate sleep mode when you close the 3DS.

There's also the issue of accuracy. This article will explain why it takes a 3GHz PC machine to accurately emulate a SNES.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/...-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

People say it'd be fine as they can get them working through other methods, but can you imagine the hell Nintendo would get for releasing imperfect Virtual Console releases with speed issues, accuracy etc.? Nintendo want to get it as close to the original as possible and cutting corners just to get them out is not their style.

It's not just a matter of "SNES has XMhz but 3DS has X+YMHz so it should be running better". It's not a straight conversion. The consoles had different architecture which is why emulation is necessary.

As has been said, the NX...both handheld and portable are said to absorb Wii U architecture and run the same OS with similar architecture to eachother. As such, developing the Virtual Console further for the 3DS and N3DS to try and get SNES working, especially as the 3DS has less life ahead than it has behind, is a waste of resources. By putting the focus on the Wii U, they'll be far more easily be able to have it run on both the upcoming handheld and home console, possibly even completely at launch which has been hinted by Iwata

It's funny watching you try to repeat this over and over again. You place a level of accuracy onto nintendo's work that isnt even remotely true. You have created a funny fiction.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The N64 and SNES were not from the handheld line.

That's not to say it will never happen, they probably have a plan they rather stick up to.

Top Bottom