• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why have the Donkey Kong Country games been removed from the Virtual Console?

DK 64 is shit. Why do you all want that garbage rereleased on the VC? I don't get it.

I haven't played it since it was released, but I found DK 64 to be a ton more fun than Banjo Kazooie/Tooie

But back then I had way more patience with video games than I do now. I'd probably be bored to tears now between the switching of Kongs and collecting everything all the time.

I liked the setting and music a lot more than BK, too.

I haven't played it since it was released, but I found DK 64 to be a ton more fun than Banjo Kazooie/Tooie

But back then I had way more patience with video games than I do now. I'd probably be bored to tears now between the switching of Kongs and collecting everything all the time.

I liked the setting and music a lot more than BK, too.

Believe me, playing it then vs now is really different. Learnt it the hardway.

I refuse to go back to that era now for platformers because of it.

AntMurda

Isn't everyone here nerdy enough to understand that Nintendo owns the Donkey Kong IP. I mean, a developer working on a game for a publisher doesn't transfer the rights to them. WTF.

Neiteio

Look at this man. Look at him and cry that God felt so little love for humanity that he allowed such a wrong thing to posted.
I know, for real. I played them in this order: DKC3, then DKC2, then DKC. My conclusion: DKC2 is tops, DKC3 is a close second, and DKC feels a full generation removed -- super-simplified with almost no verticality and heaps of wonky hit detection. Still a better platformer than most, but DKC is a poor man's DKC2 and DKC3.

And speaking of DKC3, it's AWESOME. Gorgeous overworld map you can freely explore with various vehicles like the motorboat, hovercraft, turbo skis, gyrocopter, etc. Wrinkly Kong wears workout clothes and plays Super Mario 64 in her cave. Cranky challenges you to carnival games where you throw balls at targets, over the shoulder like a TPS. The setting -- The Northern Kremisphere -- is inspired by freaking Canada, with lumberjack mills and pine trees and quicksilver lakes reflecting snow-capped mountains. Just a fantastic world to romp around in. And then there are the Banana Birds, and the Brothers Bear, and creepy bosses like the giant bouncing spider, and the belching barrel, and the evil snowman. Such a great game. :)

Dishwalla

Banned
I know, for real. I played them in this order: DKC3, then DKC2, then DKC1. My conclusion: DKC2 is tops, DKC3 is a close second, and DKC feels a full generation removed -- super-simplified with almost no verticality and heaps of wonky hit detection. Still a better platformer than most, but DKC is a poor man's DKC2 and DKC3.

There we go, finally some sense.

^play the GBA port of DKC 3. Best soundtrack right there.

I know, for real. I played them in this order: DKC3, then DKC2, then DKC. My conclusion: DKC2 is tops, DKC3 is a close second, and DKC feels a full generation removed -- super-simplified with almost no verticality and heaps of wonky hit detection. Still a better platformer than most, but DKC is a poor man's DKC2 and DKC3.

And speaking of DKC3, it's AWESOME. Gorgeous overworld map you can freely explore with various vehicles like the motorboat, hovercraft, turbo skis, gyrocopter, etc. Wrinkly Kong wears workout clothes and plays Super Mario 64 in her cave. Cranky challenges you to carnival games where you throw balls at targets, over the shoulder like a TPS. The setting -- The Northern Kremisphere -- is inspired by freaking Canada, with lumberjack mills and pine trees and quicksilver lakes reflecting snow-capped mountains. Just a fantastic world to romp around in. And then there are the Banana Birds, and the Brothers Bear, and creepy bosses like the giant bouncing spider, and the belching barrel, and the evil snowman. Such a great game. :)

Well said. DKC3 doesn't get enough love. I think it was overshadowed by N64 on release.

I hope they get the games back up soon so others can play them...but I hope even more that this is somehow related to a new project. Would love another DKCR.

Neiteio

DK Anthology could be cool. But since mostof the game are Rare games, this may cause some problems.
No, it wouldn't cause any problems. Nintendo owns the franchise. And all of Rare's work therein. It was part of the split settlement -- everything in the DKC games (and DK64) went to Nintendo.

But about an anthology...

- Donkey Kong: Original Edition
- Donkey Kong Jr.
- Donkey Kong 3
- Donkey Kong Country
- Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
- Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
- Donkey Kong 64
- Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
- Donkey Kong Country Returns

In HD. On one disk. With a banana yellow box.

Maybe throw in King of Swing and Jungle Climber.

Maaaaaaybe throw in Bongo Blast and the Konga series.

Thanks Nintendo.

IF THE DKC GAMES ARE REMOVED FROM THE VIRTUAL CONSOLE DOES THIS MEAN SEGATA SANSHIRO CAN COME BACK

SEGATA COME BACK PLS
I will personally harass him in every thread about his opinions on Donkey Kong if he comes back if it means getting a high-budget remake of the original trilogy

Did he really leave over Donkey Kong Country? His name comes up a lot when I'm browsing older threads from before I joined GAF but going off his name alone I'd assume he'd be apathetic towards anything really Nintendo-related

Also King of Swing and Jungle Climber deserve more love. Probably not Barrel Blast or the Konga games though. The former is shit and the latter along with feeling cheap completely missed the point of being a music game with access to all of DKC's gorgeous music.

Dishwalla

Banned
I will personally harass him in every thread about his opinions on Donkey Kong if he comes back if it means getting a high-budget remake of the original trilogy

Did he really leave over Donkey Kong Country? His name comes up a lot when I'm browsing older threads from before I joined GAF but going off his name alone I'd assume he'd be apathetic towards anything really Nintendo-related

He left because he derided DKC and DKCR and KevinCow obnoxiously defended them.

Also King of Swing and Jungle Climber deserve more love. Probably not Barrel Blast or the Konga games though. The former is shit and the latter along with feeling cheap completely missed the point of being a music game with access to all of DKC's gorgeous music.

Jarosh made a thread about playing DKC1 for the first time and not liking it, and a bunch of people just responded to the thread title instead of reading his post, and Segata got mad at GAF and left.

He left because he derided DKC and DKCR and KevinCow obnoxiously defended them.
Well define obnoxious? Unless the thread had nothing to do with the game or he'd already indicated he didn't give a shit one way or the other and didn't want to talk about it that just comes across as being annoyed someone likes something you don't.

Jarosh made a thread about playing DKC1 for the first time and not liking it, and a bunch of people just responded to the thread title instead of reading his post, and Segata got mad at GAF and left.

OH that thread. Funnily enough despite still considering myself a fan of the game it was a pretty well-written analysis (which I feel 2/3/Returns fix most of his issues pretty handily, 2 and Returns moreso). Just that I came out of it thinking 'yeah, DKC is pretty average nowadays with some great music' and not 'yeah, DKC just stole my ability to please a woman and I won't rest until its blood has been spilled' like some people seem to see it.

I forget how the VC works but if you've previously purchased them are you still able to download them again? I was thinking of moving my purchases from my Wii to my Wii U but not if It removes the games you're transferring without any ability to download the DKCs again I think I might just stick to using my Wii as a system for retro games (GCN included).

PokéKong

The SNES game do not fare well with up-scaling, they didn't clean up the pre-rendered sprites with pixel-perfect displays in mind, they are best off played in their original form on a CRT. Doing remakes would be a ton of work on a franchise that Nintendo just does not seem to care that much about.

I'd rather we just got a DKC Strikes Again.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24030089&postcount=129

Here, posted yet again for y'all's viewing pleasure.
That seems more like he was just pissed off at GAF in general and that was the straw that broke the camel's back. Though I sort of agree that it's not his fault; he comes across as being apathetic and just saying he didn't like the old games and suddenly having a big debate on his hands about something he openly admitted he didn't really give a shit about.

Katzii

Bullshit. DKC 3 is vastly underrated. DKC 1 is highly overrated.

Losers best actually play and complete DKC 3 before writing it off.

I played through the entirety of DKC3 and still find it the worst of the bunch. Although given that it was different people working behind it, I'm not surprised.

DjRoomba

Banned
The correct order in terms of quality of the Donkey Kong Country series is

DKC 2
DKC 1
DKC Returns
DKC 3
DKC 64

If by dkc 64 you mean dk64 that game was, and remains, totally tits. Putting it under all the dkc games, which you can't even really compare it to, is pretty harsh man.

Jtrizzy

Wish I could just play these games on the pad with no waggle. Add 1080p for Returns and I'm shitting myself. Also MG 1 & 2. I pretty much skipped the wii, so I'm dying to find out what the plans are. I may break down and pick Returns up when I pick up the system in the morning. Let me know Nintendo!

DKC3 didn't have a whole world of shitting gimmick stages. That alone puts it above Returns.

DKC3 also had a whole hell of a lot of fucking shitty collect-a-thons that artificially made the game longer, more tedious, and less fun, not to mention a terrible soundtrack and awful level design.

So yes, it deserves that near bottom ranking.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I would love to buy the two games I'm missing now, Nintendo, if you would just let me update my Wii, thank you.

Also, don't be silly, why would Nintendo pull the games for a collection? They never did that.

But it's got to do something with the WiiU, the timing is too perfect, I mean this week for the US, next week for the EU (anyone know if they're going to be pulled in Japan, too, maybe in two weeks?)... Maybe an agreement they had with MS was only for the Wii?

MarkusRJR

Fuck! I only have the first game on my console. I was planning to buy the other two on my Wii U and now I'll never get the chance. So pissed.

What's the chance they put them back on the store?

Javier

DKC3 didn't have a whole world of shitting gimmick stages. That alone puts it above Returns.
DKC3 probably had the most gimmick levels in the series, including a poisoned water that reversed the D-pad, and Ellie the Elephant getting scared by rats.

The overuse of Animal Barrels was also ridiculous.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
When Ghouls n Ghosts for arcade came out on VC, the NES version of GnG was pulled from VC.

They are willing to delist games if new versions are coming.

I am pretty sure the Wii U VC is right around the corner, and going to launch with DKC games...

FyreWulff

The other wacky possibility is pulling them to patch out the giant Rare logo at the beginning.

This is the only plausible way MS could induce the game being pulled like this, would be the Rare logo. Otherwise Nintendo owns the game 100%, top to bottom.

However, MS went to the trouble of (haphazardly) changing all the instances of the old Rare logo to the solo gold R in Banjo Kazooie and Tooie XBLA.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm sorry if I love and tolerate this trilogy more than you.

Good.

I do love 2 a lot, but it's hard for me to separate nostalgia from that. I had no nostalgia with DKC1 and 3 and couldn't help but see them both for the messes they are.

Top Bottom