• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why haven't Microsoft made their own store to fully compete with Steam and EGS at this point?

I'll use it for Gamepass but that's about it. The way the games are packaged limits what I can do with them after buying them. I like to tinker games before I get into them.

If they start letting me file-dive more easily I'll buy the games from them again, I always liked the acheivement system on Xbox.

reksveks

I'll use it for Gamepass but that's about it. The way the games are packaged limits what I can do with them after buying them. I like to tinker games before I get into them.

If they start letting me file-dive more easily I'll buy the games from them again, I always liked the acheivement system on Xbox.
Check out the windows central article, think it's coming but maybe not soon

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
PC Bros, I am here to warn you. "Coming first to gamepass on PC" is going to be something we here a lot pretty soon. Expect future MS steam releases to be delayed 6 months. If they come out at all.

Last edited:
PC Bros, I am here to warn you. "Coming first to gamepass on PC" is going to be something we here a lot pretty soon. Expect future MS steam releases to be delayed 6 months. If they come out at all.
meh, i can wait, am patient. one really great thing about Steam is the sales, having to wait for a new release is fine, i'm soooo behind on playing my collection.

K2YUP2s.jpg

KungFucius

King Snowflake
The Xbox app is better than the EGS but still miles off Steam.

The question should be why do either of them think that it's ok to have launchers that are so far off Steam in terms of functionality in 2021.
Because the minimum viable product is one that sells and launches games. Most people prioritize the game over the launcher.

The real question is why do people think newer platforms can magically add all the features of the one that has been around for 2 decades. Do these people who think steam is so amazing, not value the man-centuries put into developing it and improving it?

GHG

Gold Member
Because the minimum viable product is one that sells and launches games. Most people prioritize the game over the launcher.

The real question is why do people think newer platforms can magically add all the features of the one that has been around for 2 decades. Do these people who think steam is so amazing, not value the man-centuries put into developing it and improving it?

So basically if I'm to start a new car company tomorrow I should just throw together a car in line with the standards from 2 decades ago and expect it to sell?

After all, all people care about is getting from A-B right?

Why not build a console that has a UI that is reminiscent of 2 decades ago?

All people care about is the games right?

None of this is magic, it's called launching a product that is suited to the environment in which you are launching it in. You want to start a search engine tomorrow? Congratulations, you're now competing with Google, not Ask Jeeves or AOL. All of Steam's competitors have failed so far, the onus is on them to improve rather than on the customers to give them a chance (and time) when they've done nothing to earn it.

Quite frankly it's lazy and the reward they have received is in line with the amount of effort they have put in thus far.

Last edited:
There store is junk, simply because they don't put enough resources to develope it. Don't know why they don't outsource it, if their devs have to much on their plate already.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Better decision would be for Microsoft to get Game Pass on Steam instead of worry about their Window 10 store which is shit anyway.

Reactions: GHG

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
because it would be disastrous for the steam owners, if microsoft launched their own store, alot of games is going to be exclusive on it

Jagz

https://www.gamereactor.eu/phil-spencer-on-exclusivity-monetisation-and-game-development/

Phil Spencer: "but if we are shipping a first-party game it's coming to PC. If we are shipping a first-party game on PC it's coming to Steam and our own store."

"You know if I rewind five years ago, I would say over and over, that we are committed to PC and then get a bunch of eye rolls, and rightfully so for we weren't doing much. But I think now when you look at what our standing is on Steam and Game Pass on PC"

They know most PC gamers want their games on Steam, so they're bringing their games to Steam; not much else to say really.

Braag

The W10 store is terrible.
Also, remember Windows Live? No thanks.
I hope they just keep their games in other stores like Steam, EGS and Origin so people can choose where to buy them from.

driqe

According to my sources, there are three big changes coming to the new Store that will benefit developers:

• Allow developers to submit unpackaged Win32 apps to the Store
  • Allow developers to host apps and updates on their own content delivery network (CDN)
  • Alllow developers to use third-party commerce platforms in apps
These changes will allow developers to bring their Win32 apps to the new Store without any changes to their existing code. In the past, developers were required to package their Win32 apps as an MSIX, and were forced to use Microsoft's own store-driven update and commerce platforms. This will no longer be necessary with the new Store.

Finally, Microsoft will allow developers to use their own in-app revenue streams, bypassing Microsoft's own commerce platform entirely. I'm told that Microsoft will not take a cut from app developers who do leverage their own in-app commerce channel, which I believe would be an industry first.
Microsoft is building a new app store for Windows 10 in major revitalization effort | Windows Central
if they get this right it could be huge

Microsoft's sheer incompetence in making a store that works is a microcosm of the whole company's gaming efforts.

No one uses Windows Store because it's actually the worst imaginable thing possible, except worse. Even MS doesn't use Windows Store anymore, they have shifted to Steam because even they literally couldn't make it work correctly to install and update games.

twilo99

Windows Store is absolute trash.

Microsoft is good at buying other companies but that’s about it.

You ever wonder how they got to the point where they have enough cash on hand to buy said companies? Perhaps you though they are a venture capitalist firm and not a software company.

mxbison

The Xbox app is better than the EGS but still miles off Steam.

I don't know about that.

The bare minimum requirement for a launcher is to launch a game. EGS has always managed to do that for me so far, Xbox app hasn't...

So the questions is, why did the OP even ask the question to begin with? Because he clearly doesn't play on PC at all or he would know that Microsoft had tried at least three separate times to make a store. The fact that he does NOT know this, suggest that he plays on Xbox and is asking the question just because he thinks Microsoft is some dominant force who didn't have a good store on PC because they never tried, not because they were objectively failed and fell flat on their faces over and over.

horkrux

I'd say they have one more shot before even MS themselves will lose patience with their development team and move Gamepass over to Steam

Forsythia

I don't care if they nuke the store, it's worse that the GfWL store actually. For small games it's fine but for games like Halo or Forza it's shit. Nothing but problems installing and removing games.

Kenpachii

People will just pirate the game if they can't get it where they want.

Also nobody trusts microsoft stores, after canning there 10 other attemps before and leaving the community dry. The only reason people care about microsoft store is because they can't get around it with gamepass and that's about it.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

So basically if I'm to start a new car company tomorrow I should just throw together a car in line with the standards from 2 decades ago and expect it to sell?

After all, all people care about is getting from A-B right?

Very bad analogy. You are comparing the product (the car and the game) to the delivery mechanism (the launcher and the dealership).

Thus, a better question would be could you open a dealership that looked like it was ripped from history and still sell nice cars. I guess if the cars were nice enough, sure. Now, you might not be as popular as your competitor with the ultra polished showroom and all the bells and whistles, but you could still get some sales.

MiguelItUp

Well the Microsoft Store and Xbox/Game Pass app are about as close as it gets, so I don't really think they need anything else.

However, they DO need to make improvements, and it looks like they're already on it, so good on them...

Here's to hoping it improves across the board, because man, my experience with the Microsoft Store has been pretty abysmal. Installations breaking and erroring out that require deleting backend files, unresponsive downloads, etc.

Top Bottom