• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why I <3 Canada

Nickelback
Avril Lavigne
Justin Bieber
Celine Dion

etc.

Why? :(

I've been told its payback for all the mean jokes that come from America but I have no beef with the yanks

Habibi once you get your passport you'll be right back to the UAE to get dat special treatment lol

Seriously though so many Arabs I know in the UAE get their immigration papers for Canada, go to sort out their "landing" and come back, as I'm told it's harder to get a job over there.

Not going to lie, when I was in the process of immigrating, this was an option in my mind but the more I was around the less I wanted to go back - Its true that depending on your industry some jobs are very competitive due to the lack of listings and large pool of candidates but if you've got the endurance to stick it out, you land a job eventually

Dazzler

I'm originally from Ireland and have lived in canada for seven years now, not far off applying for my Canadian citizenship

I love it here, but there are a lot of frustrating things about the country. While universal healthcare is awesome, and infinitely better than the US, I recently waited a year for an MRI on my hip, and it's next to impossible to get a family doctor in Vancouver, so most young people tend to bounce from one walk-in clinic to another, which leads to absolutely zero consistency in your healthcare

The cost of living is absurd, and isn't getting any better. I earn around the Canadian national average, and I'm not far off from living paycheck to paycheck. Cell phone bills are outrageous compared to europe, ditto cost of food and alcohol. Also, it's regularly cheaper for me to fly home to Ireland than it is to fly to many other parts of Canada. WTF?

Vancouver is an ethnically diverse city, but very sectioned off at the same time. Richmond for example has become a Chinese enclave, while Surrey (while slightly less egregious an example) is where people from India and the Middle East tend to live

I'm lucky to live here, but it's not some sort of utopia

I'm originally from Ireland and have lived in canada for seven years now, not far off applying for my Canadian citizenship

I love it here, but there are a lot of frustrating things about the country. While universal healthcare is awesome, and infinitely better than the US, I recently waited a year for an MRI on my hip, and it's next to impossible to get a family doctor in Vancouver, so most young people tend to bounce from one walk-in clinic to another, which leads to absolutely zero consistency in your healthcare

The cost of living is absurd, and isn't getting any better. I earn around the Canadian national average, and I'm not far off from living paycheck to paycheck. Cell phone bills are outrageous compared to europe, ditto cost of food and alcohol. Also, it's regularly cheaper for me to fly home to Ireland than it is to fly to many other parts of Canada. WTF?

Vancouver is an ethnically diverse city, but very sectioned off at the same time. Richmond for example has become a Chinese enclave, while Surrey (while slightly less egregious an example) is where people from India and the Middle East tend to live

I'm lucky to live here, but it's not some sort of utopia

Vancouver is one of the most expensive cities as of now yes? I recall reading how the cost of living just went through the rough with the ridiculous rents.

Dazzler

Vancouver is one of the most expensive cities as of now yes? I recall reading how the cost of living just went through the rough with the ridiculous rents.

Yep! Cost of living keeps going up, but wages don't. Most people I know are feeling the squeeze

Pakkidis

As a Canadian I feel the image Canada presents to the world is very different from whats actually happening here. I wish it was more progressive, I wish we paid more taxes but got much higher benefits ie. better health care, more benefits etc.

Granted, its still much better than whats happening in other places so its best to look at the positives.

UAE is interesting because I've seen a huge hunger for democracy, and that country is going to have some interesting changes over the next few decades.

But yeah, I'm so proud to be a Canadian. What a great country.

Apocryphon

Emigrated to Calgary, Alberta from the UK. I've lived here for five years now and it's ok. I definitely don't want to go back to Manchester, but I'm not in love with Calgary at all.

Canadians are obnoxious here and this city probably has the worst drivers on the planet. The men don't seem to grow up and there is a disgusting sense of entitlement. People just seem passive aggressive which is all kinds of irritating.

I found that people were far nicer when I visited Ottawa and Nova Scotia, maybe even parts of BC... so it could just be Alberta.

I found the transition to Canadian life fairly easy and culturally it isn't that different from the UK. The road infrastructure is hideous though and the public transport options are pathetic. Shopping is weird and it can be hard to find stuff (Amazon.ca is awful). Sometimes it seems like Canadian brands are given unfair advantages over international brands, even if the international brand is a market leader.

Calgary is an odd city. Technically, Cochrane which is a town outside of Calgary with a population of around 20k could apply for city status. Very strange. I've heard people refer to Calgary as "the big city" but it feels like a large town compared to a real city.

I like the money though and I like the weather. Even the winter. If it's -25 outside but clear blue skies, it's amazing. About an hour to the mountains, plenty of green space and parks. Cheap cars. Cheap petrol.

I'm not a citizen yet so I can't vote and as such I haven't felt paid much attention to politics. Trudeau seems better than Theresa May at least so there's that...

Boylamite

Universal healthcare is not just showing upto the doctor and not having to worry about paying. You are paying. Through your propery taxes, income taxes, and even monthly medical premiums you pay to your provincial health authority or work medical plan.

You never have to choose between losing a limb or your home in Canada.

Emigrated to Calgary, Alberta from the UK. I've lived here for five years now and it's ok. I definitely don't want to go back to Manchester, but I'm not in love with Calgary at all.

Canadians are obnoxious here and this city probably has the worst drivers on the planet. The men don't seem to grow up and there is a disgusting sense of entitlement. People just seem passive aggressive which is all kinds of irritating.

I found that people were far nicer when I visited Ottawa and Nova Scotia, maybe even parts of BC... so it could just be Alberta.

I found the transition to Canadian life fairly easy and culturally it isn't that different from the UK. The road infrastructure is hideous though and the public transport options are pathetic. Shopping is weird and it can be hard to find stuff (Amazon.ca is awful). Sometimes it seems like Canadian brands are given unfair advantages over international brands, even if the international brand is a market leader.

Calgary is an odd city. Technically, Cochrane which is a town outside of Calgary with a population of around 20k could apply for city status. Very strange. I've heard people refer to Calgary as "the big city" but it feels like a large town compared to a real city.

I like the money though and I like the weather. Even the winter. If it's -25 outside but clear blue skies, it's amazing. About an hour to the mountains, plenty of green space and parks. Cheap cars. Cheap petrol.

I'm not a citizen yet so I can't vote and as such I haven't felt paid much attention to politics. Trudeau seems better than Theresa May at least so there's that...
You need to leave Calgary. It's a shithole. The only thing that was ever good about Calgary is the Flames. And even they are ready to leave.
:)

Brokun

Oof, you live in Calgary? As a Canadian you have my deepest sympathies lol.

It's pretty refreshing to see a citizenry so positive about their country lol. I'm a UK citizen and I loathe my country right now. We're in full on nationalist mode right now, totally rejecting liberalism for what seems to be the next 10-20 years.

"If you see yourself as a citizen of anywhere you're a citizen of nowhere"-Theresa May, our PM.

I do think immigrants love their new home more than 2nd generation citizens born into immigrant families, like me. Parents immigrated to the UK from East Asia, they love the UK and say it's the best place in the world with the best healthcare system.

Grudy

Born and raised in UAE, I know what you're talking about. It's suffocating at times. That time period between graduating from college and trying to find a job before my visa expired was hell. I eventually had to accept a AED 2000 shit job at a shit place just to get a visa and stay in the country a while longer. Let me tell you that kicking my ass for 4 years in engineering and spending god knows how much for college only to work as a pseudo driver for 60+ hour weeks did a number on my mental health back then. Fuck that shit. My other option would have been to go back to my home country which I visited maybe twice in my life and that wasn't going to happen.

I'm also getting ready to move to Canada within the next 6-9 months and hopefully never look back. It doesn't help that I hate almost everything about modern arabian culture (being arab myself). Thankfully, I passed my IELTS on my first try and currently prepping my papers. My brother has already immigrated when he had his second kid and he couldn't afford shit anymore, with how prices are raising all around.

I don't know where this rant came from but there ya go. Can't wait to leave.

Edit: regarding taxes, they're being instated starting next year I believe.

Trace

Banned
To be honest I'd prefer living in UAE/Dubai (not permanently though) - no taxes, and you can earn more money.

The fuck? Is the only thing in your life that matters money?

I feel sorry for you, Calgary is one of the worst places in Canada.

Cmagus

I'm squeezed out.
Lots of us who were born and raised in Vancouver have no future's here sadly.

It's like that in a lot of places, Ontario is getting bad as well. The housing market is exploding in certain parts and the costs are going up fast and so is rent while the wages are not improving that much.

How the natives "were" treated? Uh...

That is true although, I feel like Canadians at least take some steps to acknowledge this and become active towards making things better

Only if you live in Toronto....good god, those prices

Vancouver makes Toronto housing prices look sane.

Apocryphon

You need to leave Calgary. It's a shithole. The only thing that was ever good about Calgary is the Flames. And even they are ready to leave.
:)

Yeah, it's getting to that point. I was just awarded a research grant at work so I'm going to see that out and then look at moving. Toronto maybe.

Born and raised in UAE, I know what you're talking about. It's suffocating at times. That time period between graduating from college and trying to find a job before my visa expired was hell. I eventually had to accept a AED 2000 shit job at a shit place just to get a visa and stay in the country a while longer. Let me tell you that kicking my ass for 4 years in engineering and spending god knows how much for college only to work as a pseudo driver for 60+ hour weeks did a number on my mental health back then. Fuck that shit. My other option would have been to go back to my home country which I visited maybe twice in my life and that wasn't going to happen.

I'm also getting ready to move to Canada within the next 6-9 months and hopefully never look back. It doesn't help that I hate almost everything about modern arabian culture (being arab myself). Thankfully, I passed my IELTS on my first try and currently prepping my papers. My brother has already immigrated when he had his second kid and he couldn't afford shit anymore, with how prices are raising all around.

I don't know where this rant came from but there ya go. Can't wait to leave.

Edit: regarding taxes, they're being instated starting next year I believe.

Ahh so you know the struggle of spending your life there only to be treated like an outsider...that shit is what really made me detest the place, the fact that as a non-emarati once you're done with school you will be kicked out unless you have a job....

Taxes? lol, they realize that if they take taxes from people there needs to be something in return right?

How the natives "were" treated? Uh...

Vancouver makes Toronto housing prices look sane.

Pardon my ignorance but are natives still getting the shit end of the stick? I only have one native friend and he's doing quiet well for himself and I honestly don't know of any recent events where natives are mistreated - again, not looking for a fight or revise history just asking to be enlightened

Dice//

Banned
I'm squeezed out.
Lots of us who were born and raised in Vancouver have no future's here sadly.

I think a number of major cities are basically like this sadly.

I'm in the GTA and I highly doubt I can keep living here.

The aboriginal part is true but I dont get why you think the Conservatives will win the next election?

The center-left vote is still split between Liberals/NDP/Green. The right vote is still unified behind the Conservatives. Last election was more about the ABC vote than anything, so people in mass rallied behind candidates that had the best chance of defeating the Conservatives in their ridings.

Now that Harper and the Conservatives are out, that is no longer a factor so people will naturally move back to their original parties and because of FPTP we'll end up with another Conservative win.

Kickz

How dare you. I've seen you Americans come up here just to stock up on ketchup chips.

Also ketchup chips are the best you cray.
Ketchup chips are amazing! Have you tried Doritos ketchup? God-tier chips along with Dill Pickle Doritos.

U wot m8?

The Siberian temps has damaged your sense of taste, snap out of it

7DTly.gif

The center-left vote is still split between Liberals/NDP/Green. The right vote is still unified behind the Conservatives. Last election was more about the ABC vote than anything, so people in mass rallied behind candidates that hand the best chance of defeating the Conservatives in their ridings.

Now that Harper and the Conservatives are out, that is no longer a factor so people will naturally move back to their original parties and because of FPTP we'll end up with another Conservative win.

That's why Trudeau was an idiot for not getting rid of FPTP.

It's wonderful to read about some of the stories of different folks relocating to Canada.

I love this Country and love that it's a country that opens its arms to people of other nations of origin and religious beliefs.

Canada is not perfect of course, no country is, but I'm proud to live here and to be a diverse nation.

SRG01

You should see how Edmontonians drive :(

Top Bottom