• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why I deleted my Steam account (gamesindustry.biz article)

MrFortyFive

There's plenty about Steam that can be improved, and that certainly includes all the vile behavior that goes on in some of its darker corners. While I would fully support someone's decision to not spend money there and move on to other services like GOG, Origin, Uplay, etc. (most of my gaming money goes to GOG these days), deleting your account and intentionally cutting yourself off from products you paid for seems like shooting yourself in the foot to spite someone who doesn't give a shit about your existence.

You know I wouldn't be apposed to gog galaxy getting DRM, if it ment they got more games day one.

Hell no. GOG is good because of no DRM, with DRM they are just an inferior Steam.

I agree here. The lack of DRM and their somewhat flawed attempts at curation are the big separating points between GOG and Steam. Adding DRM would make them little more than Steam with less games to pick from.

City 17

Deleting your account for making a point towards this issue is almost as pointless as the idiots that review bombed Firewatch recently, in the grand scheme of things.

tuxfool

Banned
M°°nblade;249038226 said:
I think you are. Nothing's 'running rampant'.
Overly censorship is exactly what thrives such extremists into concentrated places and creates boards like stormfront used to be. It's better to dilute these kind of views in boards all around where they are challenged with their views instead of reinforced by like/worse-minded individuals in a vacuum.

We just had a thread about a study on Reddit that showed that active moderation of problem boards does have a positive effect on the community overall. Allowing problem people to fester does not do anything positive for the community.

So sorry, those dipshits are perfectly welcome to run off to their holes, and stop polluting the common areas where people just want to get along.

legacyzero

Banned
Why would they spend millions of dollars on the cesspool that is the Steam forums? I think they're going to go away.
The steam forums are actuall useful though, when they aren't shitty. I like to go there to find tweaking guides. For instance, how to have PUBG run like liquid shit on my PC and other discussion.

Mael

Gaming customers are becoming more and more stupid over the years. Just like Homer Simpson.

Woah, don't bring goofball Homer Simpson into that shit.
There is a floor to his stupidity. You won't see dropping the n-word even after a "heated gaming moment".
Gamers wish they had the decency Homer exhibited.

Let's be real Steam forums need to go, if no one can be bothered to moderate them they're functionally pointless.
Passing the full burden of moderation to devs is all kinds of shitty from Valve Corporation but certainly expected.
Heck seriously how come Google fucking Play has a way to handle feedback that's so much better than the people running Steam?
Valve Corporation is probably the only company with a fanbase so rabid that they would take everything and defend it on top of it.

What an incredibly damaging view holy shit. You're acting like one of those publishers that back then stopped developing PC games because "well they're all pirates so who cares?".

Ploid 3.0

I was never attached to Steam. If I can get a game on GOG, Origin, or wherever I would.

I'm getting Divinity OS2 soon maybe, and I see it's on GOG, but I'm not sure if it's like a steam key. Even if it is I also stopped buying steam games directly from steam because of a double purchase (adding money to steam wallet) glitch that happened to me when, funny enough, I bought Divinity OS. I opened a ticket to get that second purchase removed, but they never responded to it, and I cut myself off of dealing with valve when it came to making direct purchases. So far so good. Amazon, sell Steam games, and there are valve cards that I can't buy twice because a page failed to load in their app.

Steam isn't the actual issue. Our society as a whole has gone to shit. Google, Facebook, Apple, Valve, everyone else can ban users all day and police forums with an iron fist, those shitheads will keep appearing. They are present everywhere, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Steam. Everywhere. They feel emboldened and powerful. Steam can't change that.

Mael

What an incredibly damaging view holy shit. You're acting like one of those publishers that back then stopped developing PC games because "well they're all pirates so who cares?".

The devs who make the games can't possibly be burdened on moderating this when it's so far from their wheel house and they can just redirect to social media or have a direct communication line.
At least the image of your game isn't linked to Svastika loving Nazis if you use Twitter.
Valve doesn't seem to care so I don't know anyone should either.

We just had a thread about a study on Reddit that showed that active moderation of problem boards does have a positive effect on the community overall. Allowing problem people to fester does not do anything positive for the community.

So sorry, those dipshits are perfectly welcome to run off to their holes, and stop polluting the common areas where people just want to get along.
Well, ofcourse it has a positive effect on the community overall. That's only because you push the problem to another board / community. Overall, you don't solve anything .

tuxfool

Banned
M°°nblade;249039456 said:
Well, ofcourse it has a positive effect on the community overall. But only because you push the problem to another board / community.

IT ISN'T MY JOB TO DEAL WITH RACISTS ON A GAME FORUM.

I don't give a shit where they go, as long as it is somewhere where I don't have to interact with them. And if I do, at least I can expect them to behave themselves.

MUnited83

For you.
Let's be real Steam forums need to go, if no one can be bothered to moderate them they're functionally pointless.
Passing the full burden of moderation to devs is all kinds of shitty from Valve Corporation but certainly expected.
Heck seriously how come Google fucking Play has a way to handle feedback that's so much better than the people running Steam?
Valve Corporation is probably the only company with a fanbase so rabid that they would take everything and defend it on top of it.
Again, the full burden of moderation is not only on devs (Valve also assigns their own community moderators). I don't think it's unreasonable to ask devs to be the ones doing the main policing of it though. Valve already gives to devs a completely 100% free forum for their game. The devs don't need to waste money hosting it or building it from the ground up.
The only other platform that does that is GOG and those are a lot easier to police, considering GOG has a userbase maybe 5% of Steam, and the number of threads created in a month about one game there is equivalent to like a couple of hours on Steam. Not to mention Steam having several times more games.

Mael

M°°nblade;249039456 said:
Well, ofcourse it has a positive effect on the community overall. But only because you push the problem to another board / community.

And that other board / community is either going to treat the issue or be swarmed.
If they didn't have moderation, they're already a cesspool anyway.

Again, the full burden of moderation is not only on devs (Valve also assigns their own community moderators). I don't think it's unreasonable to ask devs to be the ones doing the main policing of it though. Valve already gives to devs a completely 100% free forum for their game. The devs don't need to waste money hosting it or building it from the ground up.
The only other platform that does that is GOG and those are a lot easier to police, considering GOG has a userbase maybe 5% of Steam, and the number of threads created in a month about one game there is equivalent to like a couple of hours on Steam. Not to mention Steam having several times more games.

Valve Corporation doesn't seem to do much to deal with the problem.
They have a skeleton crew when they really should have staffed up to deal with it in a more serious manner.
Redirecting people to an article isn't exactly a serious way to treat this kind of problems
They're cheap on it so they reap what they sow.

tuxfool

Banned

In which case Valve needs to give developers more power on who is allowed to participate in their forum. Have access to a global list of offenders, create blocklists, allow developers to add problem users to a moderation list.

IT ISN'T MY JOB TO DEAL WITH RACISTS ON A GAME FORUM.
What you actually mean by that is 'it isn't my job to confront these people with their extremist and narrow political views because I prefer the comfort of not having to deal with them'.

I don't give a shit where they go, as long as it is somewhere where I don't have to interact with them. And if I do, at least I can expect them to behave themselves.
So racists are fine, as long as they're not on your board. You're basically being a digital 'nimby'.

The devs who make the games can't possibly be burdened on moderating this when it's so far from their wheel house and they can just redirect to social media or have a direct communication line.
At least the image of your game isn't linked to Svastika loving Nazis if you use Twitter.
Valve doesn't seem to care so I don't know anyone should either.

Then give the option for the developer to have a discussion forum or not, although even that can be abused by certain devs that don't want users to know what's happening(I can easily see KT games never having forums because of their shitty-was ports). In anyway, those easily accessible by users forums are an incredible source of information and discussion. The downside is that sometimes you get shitnuggets as posters the developer will have to decide if they want to keep this useful tool of the community and increase his/her efforts on moderation or just let it rot.

Before something like Steam forums developers pretty much HAD to have a forum or something else made for their game. If Steam just closes them down you're only putting more work in the back of the developers.

I actually prefer it if Valve remains hands off. I suppose they could scrub the forums of any hateful stuff, but i'd rather have the current sutuation rather than a more closed and curated store

MrFortyFive

I was never attached to Steam. If I can get a game on GOG, Origin, or wherever I would.

I'm getting Divinity OS2 soon maybe, and I see it's on GOG, but I'm not sure if it's like a steam key. Even if it is I also stopped buying steam games directly from steam because of a double purchase (adding money to steam wallet) glitch that happened to me when, funny enough, I bought Divinity OS. I opened a ticket to get that second purchase removed, but they never responded to it, and I cut myself off of dealing with valve when it came to making direct purchases. So far so good. Amazon, sell Steam games, and there are valve cards that I can't buy twice because a page failed to load in their app.

It's not a Steam key. You get it directly through GOG and/or Galaxy

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I'm losing access to dozens of games and a backlog of purchased-but-unplayed titles, but I'm not primarily a PC gamer.

tenor.gif

tuxfool

Banned
M°°nblade;249039896 said:
So racists are fine, as long as they're not on your board. You're basically being a digital 'nimby'.

Tell me. If racists entered any public building and started making a nuisance of themselves?

What do you think would happen? People would sit there and take it? Would they sidle up to these people and go "well actually..."?

No, they would throw out the racists for making a nuisance of themselves.

I'm not entirely sure of the benefit of deleting one's Steam account though. Instead, it's better to use your Steam account to actively support causes, games and devs that you agree with and being vocal about them.

I'd rather use Steam as a platform to voice my opinions and vote with my dollar rather than "take my ball and go home".

MUnited83

For you.
And that other board / community is either going to treat the issue or be swarmed.
If they didn't have moderation, they're already a cesspool anyway.

Valve Corporation doesn't seem to do much to deal with the problem.
They have a skeleton crew when they really should have staffed up to deal with it in a more serious manner.
Redirecting people to an article isn't exactly a serious way to treat this kind of problems
They're cheap on it so they reap what they sow.
...did you even bother to actually click on the link?
The reported group has been banned. Click on it. " This group has been administratively disabled."

Mael

M°°nblade;249039896 said:
What you actually mean by that is 'it isn't my job to confront these people with their extremist and narrow political views because I prefer the comfort of not having to deal with them'.

Racist fucks aren't entitled a platform, especially someone else's.
How is that even debatable?

Then give the option for the developer to have a discussion forum or not, although even that can be abused by certain devs that don't want users to know what's happening(I can easily see KT games never having forums because of their shitty-was ports). In anyway, those easily accessible by users forums are an incredible source of information and discussion. The downside is that sometimes you get shitnuggets as posters the developer will have to decide if they want to keep this useful tool of the community and increase his/her efforts on moderation or just let it rot.

Before something like Steam forums developers pretty much HAD to have a forum or something else made for their game. If Steam just closes them down you're only putting more work in the back of the developers.

Again if no one is willing to moderate what's happening there, they're as useless as unmoderated forums devs had before.

...did you even bother to actually click on the link?
The reported group has been banned. Click on it. " This group has been administratively disabled."

For that to have been included inthe article it must have stayed up for a little while.
Regardless they can't expect to moderate their forums with the staff they have anyway which is really the issue at hand.
Offloading moderation to a simple reporting system in the hands of the community doesn't work.
Reddit with its waves of community closure kind of proved that already.

EmiPrime

That Nazi community was up for years and it was only taken down because a journalist wrote this article. If he hadn't it would still be up.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yes, but NeoGAF is despised by the general gaming community for being a bunch of "SJW snowflakes". (Partially due to bitterness of not being able to join, or being banned.)

Valve thrives on the goodwill of shithead gamers, unfortunately, so they're not going to do anything that might damage that goodwill.

The more care is taken into moderating shit the more we normalize not being an asshole on the internet. That's my perspective, there'll be backlash at first but eventually things will calm down.

How do you even find that group? I search for the name, Steam returned no hits. Did a more general search and all i could find was edgy dumbasses with groups of 1 to 5 people at most.
Meanwhile I found Anti-Nazi group at over 1000 members and The only good nazi is a dead nazi at over 300. The presence of big nazi groups seems quite overstated.

NeoGaf doesn't have even 0.1% of the users Steam has. What a ridiculous comparison. Not to mention the requirement of a paid email and several months until approval. You do realize that's the thing that keeps most of the trolls away, yes?
Valve already has community moderators and already gives devs full control of their community forums.

Yeah you're right, I guess I've just been taking good moderation for granted not thinking about the surrounding circumstances, like the whole registration dealio. Very good point.

Ganado

The worship of steam is the weirdest thing i seen in gaming. A golden calf you literally shove money into, I wonder if there are people out there that make Walmart and Whole Foods fan art?

amen

some people got this shit wrapped up in their identity and it's been weird ever since

Yeah, I rather worship companies that tries to nickle and dime me in new ways! That's not weird at all!

Arkhanor

That's why, over the years, I pretty much ignored user reviews. Sure, there are great, helpful ones, but there are a LOT of garbage that are posted as reviews.

Nice to see Valve's lack of customer support for customers extends to the people and companies that publish games too, which are supposed to also be their customers.

Eventually someone will eat Steam's lunch and they either improve or Valve cashes out and walks away. Given how lazy they seem to be at Valve, my bet would be on the latter.

This sounds like the response of someone who's never used Steam.

WarRock

M°°nblade;249035456 said:
Do better how?
You mean by playing nanny and censuring boards?

I'd say: let people post stupid shit online and report it to the police if it's legally finable.

you do understand Steam is a platform accessible from the whole world (in fact, through something called world wide web)

it's not your local mall

to which police should I report someone from a country that isn't mine being racist in the message board for a polish game in the american platform steam

How do you even find that group? I search for the name, Steam returned no hits. Did a more general search and all i could find was edgy dumbasses with groups of 1 to 5 people at most.
Meanwhile I found Anti-Nazi group at over 1000 members and The only good nazi is a dead nazi at over 300. The presence of big nazi groups seems quite overstated.

NeoGaf doesn't have even 0.1% of the users Steam has. What a ridiculous comparison. Not to mention the requirement of a paid email and several months until approval. You do realize that's the thing that keeps most of the trolls away, yes?
Valve already has community moderators and already gives devs full control of their community forums.
Community search really sucks for some reason, more than once I had to be directly linked to groups/profiles since they never showed up while searching.

"Suck it up buttercup" is never an acceptable answer

The worship of steam is the weirdest thing i seen in gaming. A golden calf you literally shove money into, I wonder if there are people out there that make Walmart and Whole Foods fan art?

You are on a videogame forum that is largely console focused and this is the thing you find the weirdest? Not the expressions of worship and adoration towards CEOs and giant corporate conglomerates? Seriously?

GRaider81

Steam isn't the actual issue. Our society as a whole has gone to shit. Google, Facebook, Apple, Valve, everyone else can ban users all day and police forums with an iron fist, those shitheads will keep appearing. They are present everywhere, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Steam. Everywhere. They feel emboldened and powerful. Steam can't change that.
The sad truth. People are just addicted to being angry via both the internet and real life.

Mael

You are on a videogame forum that is largely console focused and this is the thing you find the weirdest? Not the expressions of worship and adoration towards CEOs and giant corporate conglomerates? Seriously?

Well to be fair you're just making a generalization of his point...
Not saying you're wrong.

Yup as I said before, it's not like fanboyism has been a thing since video games and it's weird if the poster never saw the same thing for Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft and with Kaz Hirai, Kimishima or Spencer with memes, gifs even dedicated threads.

Top Bottom