• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why I Truly Believe That Hidetaka Miyazaki HATES Hideo Kojima! (1st Year Anniversary of MHK)

In honor of my 1st Year of Service on NeoGAF, I shall reveal the reasons, rationale, and proof behind the name "MiyazakiHatesKojima".

So, GAF......Shall we begin?
748899.jpg

It all started back in 2017 during the Game Awards when we all witnessed Death Stranding's 9 minute masterpiece of a trailer. I particularly remember seeing a glimpse of Hidetaka Miyazaki on camera sleeping (!) shortly after the trailer was shown to the audience (and world). It felt like some kind of goof from the camera team to show someone so dedicate to the craft of hardcore masochistic game design to be falling asleep during one of the greatest game trailers ever shown on screen.

And then it hit me! Everything started falling into place like that detective from The Usual Suspects when he starts figuring out who Keyser Söze was at the end of the film. So, GAF, here is the compelling evidence that convinced me to believe that Hidetaka Miyazaki hates Hideo Kojima:

Exhibit A:

giphy.gif

Exhibit B:

giphy.gif

Exhibit C:

giphy.gif

Exhibit Dark Souls:

giphy.gif

To Be Continued......

Mr Hyde

Miyazaki is hands down the best game director of all time for me. He changed my entire taste in video games, and how I approach them with his master class design. Every game he has made, speaks to my heart. I hope he never stops directing games. He is the true GOAT.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I agree with all of those quotes from Miyazaki, though. Gaming should primarily be about delivering complex systems for the player to play in. A cutscene is a reward, a respite from the challenge, a brief stretch of no-input entertainment so that you can feel your own heartbeat after overcoming a difficult scene.

Too much reward, though, and the videogame experience becomes saccharine.

Kojima games are candy. But they're weird candy, like a chocolate-caramel bar with pretzels inside, or a licorice rope with hardcandy nerds stuck on the outside. I always want to play a Kojima game because -- like that weird candy bar -- I want to know how those flavors taste. Yeah it's empty calories, and yeah it's indulgent, but it's an entertainment medium after all.

Or to use another analogy, Kojima games are the daytime soap operas, the spanish-language telenovelas of the gaming world. Cheesy, over-the-top, yet somehow snagging big-name actors and accolades. Suffering from some really schlocky scripting and voice-acting, and yet... do you think I'll stop playing his games?

VastSnappyHarvestmouse-size_restricted.gif

WLauQ-.gif

Top Bottom