• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is a sealed copy of Zelda OoT worth so much?

Orayn

Well, it is one of the best video games ever released. Having a sealed copy of the original release must count for something, don't you think?

Grakl

Because almost everyone who bought an actual copy back in the day played it instead of keeping it for collectors; this is even true for the collectors edition.

Cloudy

Banned
I didn't know there was a big market for sealed games (like cards and comics) but looking at this dude's other items there is. What exactly is the point though? Maybe if it was signed?

had literally no idea they rated video games condition.

Seriously this is news to me

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Because many rose-tinted goggles people view it as a holy grail of games. Which I don't get playing it for the first time a year ago. Felt dated, slow, boring, and easy. It did have some nice music though. If it was an unopened ALttP I would justify a high price. Same for FF6 unopened.

I paid $70 for a opened copy of Chrono Trigger (SNES) with the box. You can find an unopened copy on newer systems with additional content for a fraction of the price. I have no regrets.

Cloudy

Banned
I guess it's kind of like folks who collect Jordans. I don't see the point of "displaying" those either lol

Hmm, I wonder what games from this gen could command that price in 13 years :)

Neiteio

If it's sealed and never to be open, how do you know the game's actually inside and somebody didn't just fill it with a weight and then shrink-wrap it? When I got the GameCube the Christmas of 2001, I was excited to play Rogue Leader... Only to find some fucker at Toys 'R Us had swapped out the disk, replaced it with the preview mini-CD Nintendo had been distributing in Nintendo Power, and re-shrink-wrapped it, lol.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Is the copy more valuable if it's the version with the Capcpom-style spelling mistake on the back of the box?

I'll let my good friend Ogre field this question:

PlbQ1.jpg

NEEEERRRRRRRRDDDDDDSSSS!!!

If you're really dedicated to a game or a series it's pretty reasonable to be interested in sealed copies. Nobody would buy one to open and play, nor would they buy one if they had no other copies. I had a sealed copy of Suikoden II, which unfortunately I had to sell a few years ago, because it's my favorite game.

Cloudy

Banned
Should I go get another copy of Xenoblade to sell in a decade or so? lol Looking at the ROI of this game, it's as good as buying a hot stock lol

Undubbed

If I were rich I would totally buy new, sealed copies off ebay if there were any available. And I would open it and play it.

stonedwal

Never understood why anyone would pay to have a game graded (isn't it like $US65?) or pay more for a graded game.

What's going to really suck is when the battery in that cartridge (from memory, Ocarina was one of only a handful of N64 games that use batteries instead of EEPROM) starts to leak and corrode the game inside.

Why not? I honestly don't understand the point of buying a sealed game and not opening and playing it.

Because opened games are cheaper and so much easier to find.

I don't know. Why is someone trying to sell a sealed copy of FF VII for $5000?

Because listing things on ebay is incredibly cheap and if one person is suckered into paying a price like that more than worth it. Ebay prices aren't necessarily reflective of reality.

Cloudy

Banned
Thanks for the heads-up. I collect sealed Zelda games for display in my Nintendo room.

My latest catch was a sealed copy of the original print of The Legend of Zelda (NES). Quite a prize. :)

You're not seriously going to buy at the price, are you?

Anth0ny

Sealed retro games are worth a lot.

Sealed retro games that are also considered the greatest game of all time are worth ridiculous amounts.

Cranzor

Because many rose-tinted goggles people view it as a holy grail of games. Which I don't get playing it for the first time a year ago. Felt dated, slow, boring, and easy. It did have some nice music though. If it was an unopened ALttP I would justify a high price. Same for FF6 unopened.

Are you saying only people with nostalgia like it? I first played it just under two years ago and it's probably my favorite game of all time.

Persona7

Banned
I watched a VGA rated copy of OOT awhile back and I am pretty sure it did not sell, it was relisted a few times as well.

Top Bottom