• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Adam Sessler tweeting about being afraid and having to leave the industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd imagine because there's not much substance here. Sorry, I came across like a bit of a jerk. It's actually interesting because something is happening, but at this point it's speculation at vague tweets.
I figured that because GAF is so plugged in, someone here might know what the hell he was talking about and bring some insight.

I understand people making paper on the back of lame ass video walkthroughs might piss off publishers, but the likes of Sessler and the content they produce is another ball game. Hope it's not some bs preventing them from doing what they've been doing.

MXvOZ0a.png

Dude has been so hyperbolic about everything recently its hard to take him seriously.

He needs to take a break or whatever he was on during E3 to calm down.

tmarg

I can't see how Sessler's main content (heavily edited video reviews and previews) wouldn't be protected under fair use.

It would be, but that doesn't stop Youtube from taking down videos at the request of publishers. And Youtube has shown very little interest in standing up for their content creators up to this point.

It would explain why he is worried more than people from IGN, CBSi, etc. They have their own servers and the legal muscle necessary to protect their content if it comes to that point.

Lunar15

If it was directly related to Youtube, we'd hear about it. Since everyone's being mum on it, I assume it's related directly to Sony or Microsoft (or both) simply because it sounds like there's an embargo on the info, and by breaking that embargo, you probably lose all rights to getting the system or games early

Fallom

Banned
Maybe Sessler should do some games "journalism" and write an article about it.

Oh wait, he's afraid of upsetting the large corporation.

Journalism.

synce

I'm confused why he's referring to a single company making his life harder. If it's related to PS4's capture issue, there's always Xbone. Can he not wait a couple weeks?

geomon

It would be, but that doesn't stop Youtube from taking down videos at the request of publishers. And Youtube has shown very little interest in standing up for their content creators up to this point.

It would explain why he is worried more than people from IGN, CBSi, etc. They have their own servers and the legal muscle necessary to protect their content if it comes to that point.

If that's the case, I would just go back to hosting the videos exclusively on Rev3 and just run ads at the beginning of the videos like they used to.

Minions

Maybe Rev3 is getting snubbed from getting a console to do reviews and what not.

Nothing stops them from using a retail unit; I understand they want a dev kit or something? That is what the "price differentials" are about? 500 vs 2500 or whatever?

I don't think it's youtube (at least directly). Sessler's wife wrote a tweet that blamed Sessler's anger on a certain 'big videogame company'.

This is Amber, Adam's wife. Thank you, Mr. Big Videogame Corp. for ruining another Saturday chez Sesslers. I don't get you.

On a side note; CBOAT has been foreshadowing that there is a certain 'something' that could spark a big uproar once it is revealed during the console releases ("ass storm is coming"). Could Sessler's troubles be related to this?

Thoraxes

Maybe uploading all that stuff is allowed, but only directly through the consoles and their platform holders.

That way they can directly control the monetization, ads, and distribution of content on Youtube, JTV, Twitch, etc.

Banned
Does this mean no more Sessler tweets being posted on gaf? If so, great!

Never a good thing when someone loses their job though :(

Logash

CBOAT alright gave him the smack down...

Can you translate what this dudes said into English. I know I am in the ball park but I want to make sure I know what he said. An explanation would also be nice. like what he means by people clown the other guy.

Eric WK

Probably MS blocking Youtube revenue, hence youtube reviews for xbox one games not getting Rev3 any revenue.

Multiple people who know the specifics of what's going on have specifically stated that this has nothing to do with Microsoft or Xbox One.

It's a shock, I realize.

Samyy

I don't think it's youtube (at least directly). Sessler's wife wrote a tweet that blamed Sessler's anger on a certain 'big videogame company'.

On a side note; CBOAT has been foreshadowing that there is a certain 'something' that could spark a big uproar once it is revealed during the console releases ("ass storm is coming"). Could Sessler's troubles be related to this?

It would be some morbid shit.
Especially for Sesler, who championed the shit out of the Xbox, but MS isn't that stupid. The negative PR would drown them. I can't believe they would be that stupid, like really.

I'm confused, if it is about PS4 capture.......why would that affect most site reviews since most reviews are written anyways. And the games usually have tons of released videos before the game releases to put inside your review.

I know IGN does video reviews, but I never watch video reviews, would rather read it. Just me though.

And youtube reviewers I've never watched anyway, so this seems like it's just something the journalists will be mad about but doesn't affect the consumer.

EDIT: Wow, after reading what I wrote......I'm really tired, that was only semi-coherent. Time for bed.

hamchan

A little annoyed by all the cryptic tweets, which just fuels rumours and speculations, and makes them sound like drama queens.

Maybe the issue is that Sony won't let them capture footage but they still want them to come out to their review event on the 11th and 12th of November to play the games.

Dude has been so hyperbolic about everything recently its hard to take him seriously.

He needs to take a break or whatever he was on during E3 to calm down.

The God of War review made me look at the guy in a different light and the fact that he never addressed any of the criticisms that came his way hurt his image even more in my eyes.

soultron

Banned
If this affects YT "influencers" it will probably have publishers breathing down the platform holders' necks. They're just as important as video reviews from major sites these days.

jayu26

Can you translate what this dudes said into English. I know I am in the ball park but I want to make sure I know what he said. An explanation would also be nice. like what he means by people clown the other guy.
Courtesy rjinaz...
The great bun appears!

My translation:

There is nothing here regrading devkit expenses and etc
that's based in reality

Seriously you're a clown for a reason man.

Krixeus

A little annoyed by all the cryptic tweets, which just fuels rumours and speculations, and makes them sound like drama queens.

Agreed. I'd rather he kept mum about this issue until he had something solid to discuss instead of all this cryptic BS.

jbug617

Banned
The press events I know that happened the past week is AC4, BF4 and COD Ghosts. I am not sure if he went to AC4 or Ghosts but I do know he went to BF4.

Been following Sessler since he's TechTV days when he was on with that redhead (forgot her name). Hopefully, he keeps his job or at least is able to move onto somewhere else in the "industry".

My guess is Sony is not allowing smaller media to capture or put videos on video sites...?
I'm basing that speculation on bigger sites like IGN and Gamspot mentioning that they're going to have PS4 reviews soon.

Altho that doesn't explain why X1 version games are under embargo til near launch, but this might be totally separate thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom