• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is GAF the biggest gaming forum?

cntr

Banned
Genuine question. It's the forum where developers visit and people, even journalists, lurk for gaming news. What happened in GAF's history that allowed it to become what it is?

Seda

Honest question:

Is GAF bigger than the GameFAQs/Gamespot forums? Obviously a full answer to this is more complicated than yes or no, but I'm simply curious.

It was me. Looking back at the archives, there was much less activity in the years before I joined. Strict moderation also contributed. I was banned for port begging last year, and I liked it.

DMeisterJ

Banned
The community, good or bad, is simply one of a kind. Developers, consumers, sales-agers, tech-GAF, and trolls all come together for what is (usually) some amazing conversation. Very easy (for the most part) to have intelligent discussion here, so that probably helps too.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The Lamonster said:
I think it's more that it's the best.

Hahahaha...

HAHHHAHAHAHAHA....

Oh, you.

DennisK4 said:
There seems to be an atmosphere here this is rather more conducive to serious discussions than elsewhere.

SA is a lot better for serious discussion.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Well if you go by number of members, there's other bigger forums. But I doubt they have the most number of industry peoples.

GAF is one unified gaming forum instead of fifty billion sections to divide platforms and genres
GAF has the waiting list to get in, so trolls get kicked out as they come
GAF has a larger amount of Japanese reading/writing posters to other sites, so info from Japanese magazines/gaming blogs generally comes here first
GAF has a larger amount of developers/industry people posting than most other gaming communities
GAF is always on the ball with news
GAF has no shit cluttering the forums (sigs etc)
GAF is superior

It became the biggest and thus is the best.

And even though I am a frequent victim, I think the harsh banning rules keep the place from becoming a cesspool.

Kenka

DennisK4 said:
There seems to be an atmosphere here this is rather more conducive to serious discussions than elsewhere.

This. In addition of having among us knowledgeable, well-mannered and passionate people.

You can feel the love for gaming here. And the respect among members.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
outunderthestars said:
Strict moderation weeds out the morons.

If the moderation actually weeded out ALL the morons, there would be like, 50 people on GAF.

The reason GAF is so big is because of a lot of AMAZING members that sadly, are long gone.

Haunted

Things just snowball when a certain size is reached. GAF has been around for a long time, so it was able to slowly accumulate the numbers.

Having a single uniform forum instead of the usual sub-segmentation is a huge factor as well. One of the reasons I personally disagree with the new Community sub-forum.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
GAF its not the biggest... its just the best.

* Hugs GAF *

BlazingDarkness said:
GAF is one unified gaming forum instead of fifty billion sections to divide platforms and genres
GAF has a larger amount of Japanese reading/writing posters to other sites, so info from Japanese magazines/gaming blogs generally comes here first
GAF has a larger amount of developers/industry people posting than most other gaming communities
GAF is superior
Yup, no sigs is awesome!

Donos

what i really like about gaf and why i like stay here is no signatures and thousands of sub forums for every genre, console and day of the week. Just gaming and offtopic.

thetrin

Donos said:
what i really like about gaf and why i like stay here is no signatures and thousands of sub forums for every genre, console and day of the week. Just gaming and offtopic.

I wish OT was split up more. I really hate that there's no dedicated Comic Book forum. It's one reason I like the way SA is set up.

Spookie said:
Decent moderators keep things in check. Good conversations help too.

Good conversations today are not as good as they used to be. Too many list threads, too many "your favorite" threads.

BlazingDarkness said:
GAF is superior

These are the reasons I come here.

oracrest

I enjoy it most because of it's clean interface and presentation.

GAMING DISCUSSION

OFF TOPIC DISCUSSION

That's it. Nice and simple. No complex series of sub folders and needless categorization.
Also, none of that custom HTML signature shit on the bottom of posts.

There's a professional presence, and a lot of news comes from GAF, and then goes out to other sites.

Top Bottom