• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Game Freak so incompetent?

After playing the Pokémon ORAS demo, I have decided not to buy the game.

It runs at like 15 fps and you can't play in 3D for most part of the game. Pokémon XY suffered the same fate one year ago, why haven't they sorted all these performance problems out? It's embarrassing.

3DS is capable of running Monster Hunter and Youkai Watch in 3D, at almost 60fps.

Pokémon is a multi million franchise, and Game Freak should treat it as one.

ibjqLH6Q9X9Mhb.gif

entremet

Doesn't Gamefreak run a skeleton crew? Low budget and all?

Additionally, they were using sprites up until the DS, which is a bit crazy when you think about it.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
You could've picked a much less inflammatory and accurate title if your chief complaints are just frame rate and no 3D.

NotLiquid

HarmoKnight was 60.

Pokémon is just a huge fucking game at this point and Game Freak aren't the biggest studio out there.

udivision

Cuz you don't need huge budgets and amazing graphics to make a Pokemon game.

Just think of the margins for the franchise. I don't think GF wants to mess with that.

LordGouda

HarmoKnight was 60.

Pokémon is just a huge fucking game at this point and Game Freak aren't the biggest studio out there.

Pretty much this. Although, it's also the fact that they've never done a 3D game to this extent and as such, the engine they created probably isn't all the greatest. It's the same with how they began, they'll get better and make improvements over time.

Additionally, they were using sprites up until the DS, which is a bit crazy when you think about it.

HarmoKnight was 60.

Yeah I think hiring some more staff would break the bank for them.
/s

Seriously there's no excuse for the performance of their games.

It's their second foray into 3D handheld games, so I'm giving them a pass in terms of framerate. If the framerate issue is fixed with the New 3DS, that may be enough to sell hardware.

Zyrox

I find this disappointing as well. Even if they themselves aren't competent at making a game run well, they could just hire people who are. I mean, they make tons upon tons of money with these games and I'd really like to see a bit more of that money flow back into the franchise. I was expecting ORAS to run way better than X/Y, guess that was a foolish expectation to have...

Yep, they are pretty bad. The overworld looks worse than LBW and that had great 3D and ran at 60fps.
The pokemon themselves look great, but being 15fps makes it a lot less impressive.
I imagine them sticking to portables made the jump to 3D a lot harder, but it's prettt inexcusable for a franchise that makes that much money
At this point i would've liked them to be closer to OoT 3D

Portugeezer

X/Y was a huge disappointment on the technical side.

Looked like a polished DS game, poor framerate in 3D battles and 3D was automatically disabled in most of the game, the 3D towns were a joke with limited camera and controls, etc.

Randdalf

I don't know about anyone else, but frame rate is not really my top concern when playing Pokemon. If it was an intense real-time action game, then maybe, but Pokemon is a turn-based RPG. I am surprised that they haven't ironed out the issues they were having with X/Y but maybe they had other priorities.

The game runs adequately enough for me when the 3D is turned off.

3D during battles, however... I swear to god that it's even worse in ORAS than it was in XY...

JB2448

73 employees as of this past April, so yeah. You'd think they'd hire more programming muscle, but I'm sure that'd also change the development culture that makes the atmosphere and content of the current Pokémon main series titles the way they are.

And yeah, HarmoKnight runs exceptionally well at 60 fps in 3D, so it is a little disappointing to see frame drops in ΩRαS, sometimes even with the 3D disabled. Hopefully this won't be a problem by the next mainline title(s).

Busaiku

It's their second foray into 3D handheld games, so I'm giving them a pass in terms of framerate. If the framerate issue is fixed with the New 3DS, that may be enough to sell hardware.

3rd actually.
Their first game ran better.
Of course it's much smaller in scope.

gngf123

I'm not going to comment on GF and if they are incompetent or not.

But damn the framerate in XY was bad. I hope they fix that up in future games. ORAS apparently being similar I find a bit sad, but I'll probably buy it anyway at some point.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
It's their second foray into 3D handheld games.

Stop this bullshit right there. Harmoknight may not be the same scale as Pokemon but it ran damn smooth. I hate people always cutting GF slack when other developers get grilled for not achieving 1080p in projects of an order of magnitude more complex than a 3DS game.

Game Freak does not care in being technically proficient because everyone and their mother will buy the new Pokemon every damn time regardless of what they do. Yesterday, it took me 3 fucking tries to trade a pokemon back and forth with a friend over the internet. This shit is unacceptable, XY can't even stay connected in sleep mode ffs.

Yasumi

Banned
Pretty much this. Although, it's also the fact that they've never done a 3D game to this extent and as such, the engine they created probably isn't all the greatest. It's the same with how they began, they'll get better and make improvements over time.
Fully modeled 3D engines in RPGs have been a thing since the PS1. There's really no excuse for the game to run as badly as it does.
3D towns are hard
Heh.

LeleSocho

Banned
If only they were incompetent in the graphics department only...
The answer by the way is probably that in nearly 20 years all they had to do were 2d games so the development team is bare bones for a full 3d game.
Why didn't they've adapted to the new situation or requested help from Nintendo? lol hell if i know

Squishy3

The FPS issues have to do with largely the effects like the wind blowing the grass around during outdoors battles. The FPS is a lot more stable indoors. Commenting solely on X/Y, haven't played OR/AS yet.

I swear we got this exact same thread when X/Y released. o.o

There lack of optimization is pretty bad though. It might just be due to being a quick 1 year job but who knows. If their next New Pokemon game(meaning not a port like Z or XY2) runs this badly still then theirs no excuses left.

SoulUnison

Banned
It is really bad.

Their games are technical clusterfucks and they're constantly removing features and moving the series "one step forward, two steps back."

Nintendo needs to shake them the hell up. It's embarrassing that they're responsible for one of Nintendo's flagship series that basically prints money, and they can't be bothered to polish their work or increase the dev team size to a reasonable amount.

I mean, if *Pokemon* isn't a franchise that warrants going all out, than what is?

I honestly think it's just laziness. Nintendo/Game Freak know that Pokemon makes money no matter what, so why do more than the minimum required to get the game running and sellable?

3rd actually.
Their first game ran better.
Of course it's much smaller in scope.

Alright, it's their second 3D mainline game - which I can only assume was made alongside X and Y. If their next pair of 3D games doesn't run better (at least 30 FPS), I would initially be disappointed but still buy them anyway. Pokemon is my lifeblood.

The OR/AS demo actually sold me on the game. I had no interest previously, got a code in an email, and really enjoyed it. I never played the original Ruby/Sapphire so It'll be something new for me.

ohlawd

nah man I think they're smart

they spend the minimum to make games that sell truckloads.

should totally be the MO for every games company; if we know our games will sell, why pour in more money than we need to?

Rising_Hei

It is really bad.

Their games are technical clusterfucks and they're constantly removing features and moving the series "one step forward, two steps back."

Nintendo needs to shake them the hell up. It's embarrassing that they're responsible for one of Nintendo's flagship series that basically prints money, and they can't be bothered to polish their work or increase the dev team size to a reasonable amount.

I mean, if *Pokemon* isn't a franchise that warrants going all out, than what is?

I honestly think it's just laziness. Nintendo/Game Freak know that Pokemon makes money no matter what, so why do more than the minimum required to get the game running and sellable?
Isn't that what nintendo has always done? :/ not just regarding pokemon.

It is really bad.

GameFreak is still independent from Nintendo. Despite Nintendos stake in the franchise GF can pretty much do what it wants. It would be nice if it was mandated to optimize it but Pokemon is a cash cow itll sell regardless. Besides w/o 3D it runs fine. They prob shohlda just left it a 3D disabled game.

Does anyone have any insight into Game Freak? How many people do they have? Do they colab with other studios for projects? What kind of margins do they have on Pokemon sales?

I can't help but think Pokemon could have evolved into a more well-rounded series because one would think there was plenty of money to make it happen. But then maybe the series steady but slow iterations has kept the series relevant by limiting risk.

ohlawd

Isn't that what nintendo has always done? :/ not just regarding pokemon.

lolno, couldn't be farther from the truth

those guys spend $100 to make a game and it looks like it was made with a $200 budget.

Game Freak spends $100 and gets a <$100 budget game.

I find the framerate fine on my 2DS.

Then again, it's not 3D. As far as I'm hearing, turn off 3D and the framerate is way better.

Busaiku

Youkai Watch is fierce competition in Japan, let's hope that inspires Game Freak to do something about their games.

Imagine the struggle that will be once the 4DS hits?.

I would be surprised if Yokai Watch is as big as it is in 2+ years.
It still has yet to prove if it can withstand the Level 5 curse!

NotLiquid

A more experienced team could probably bump up Pokemon to a more consistent 30 FPS but probably not a lot beyond that. Pokemon is a game with a lot of content, having to render 600+ different monsters with hundreds of unique moves and numerous feature sets. Its a hell of a lot of work for for a team like Game Freak and you can tell they compromised a ton with this particular generation.

Kid Icarus Uprising is probably the most optimized game on 3DS and even that loads a fair share. Smash 3DS is probably the game that generally runs the best on the system but it cripples several OS and CPU features just to have that run and it loads so much. I don't think Pokemon is near those in terms of how demanding they are (even though it does take up a ton of download space), but a consistent frame rate on its part should at least be doable and it's really weird how Nintendo aren't putting more money behind their key handheld franchise.

Game Freak could use more man power but for the most of the part it doesn't seem like most people even mind for Nintendo to sink the extra money. Really weird that ORAS doesn't run a lot better apparently.

At the very least, its a game that loads very little, or at least hides its tricks fairly well.

Meffer

I agree with OP. I played Youkai Watch 2 before playing the pokemon demo. And even going back to XY, YW2 is leagues better in terms of how it runs and it's pretty big (even bigger?) than Pokemon XY. GF needs to at least get a bigger team.

Top Bottom