• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Microsoft not funding Jeff Strain and Undead Labs to create a AAA MMORPG ?

Lady Bernkastel

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2018
He has worked on WoW,Guild Wars,Warcraft III,Starcraft and Diablo. With Microsoft's funding he can make a proper MMO that everyone wants.

Reactions: CyberPanda

dirthead

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Yes because we've seen how well all the other ex-Blizzard staffed MMORPGs worked out.

WOW was lightning in a bottle. Its success can't be duplicated. You also have the problem that it's basically impossible to compete with because it's got 14 years of content built out for it already. No new game can launch with even a tenth of the content it has.

Reactions: God Enel

Luffytubby

Jul 26, 2018
MMORPGs are very risky. Very expensive, and many people get their hands burned. EA and Ubisoft have massive massive MMO AAA Projects that went down the drain and became failures. Sony (SOE) too. Microsoft has also tried various MMO attempts including Halo. Undead Labs latest launched with a fair shair of bugs, limitations and gameplay problems, and I don't think it showed they could tackle something much much more complex like a MMO. At least there needs to be a better engine, a more streamlined and polished direction and they need to have a faster output.

Yes because we've seen how well all the other ex-Blizzard staffed MMORPGs worked out.

WOW was lightning in a bottle. Its success can't be duplicated. You also have the problem that it's basically impossible to compete with because it's got 14 years of content built out for it already. No new game can launch with even a tenth of the content it has.
Generally speaking, I agree, but ArenaNet? GW is a massively successful franchise. Along with WoW and FFXIV, it's probably the most successful western MMO ever in terms of reach and staying power. GW2 has a massive player base still, and had sold 7-8 mill before going F2P years ago.

Jeff Strain is pretty accomplished in his own right. A lot of the tech WoW later adopted to streamline all its problematic infrastructure was pretty much GW1s unique tools. He was a key player in the success and development of BattleNet. GW1 was a super unique concept that went against stats based RPG in favor of a focus on skill, tactics and decks inspired by card games like Magic The Gathering. Under his leadership, Guild Wars became a home for millions of people who hate The EQ/WoW model of MMORPGs in favor of skill based gaming, but with a casual and social PVE element.

cdthree

Jan 30, 2018
Well, which IP are you thinking about? What one Xbox IP is most likely to get people to drop money every month? Although gamepass kind of had that covered. Cause GaaS print money from what I'm told. Isn't that what a MMORPG is anyway?

Lady Bernkastel

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2018
MMORPGs are very risky. Very expensive, and many people get their hands burned. EA and Ubisoft have massive massive MMO AAA Projects that went down the drain and became failures. Sony (SOE) too. Microsoft has also tried various MMO attempts including Halo. Undead Labs latest launched with a fair shair of bugs, limitations and gameplay problems, and I don't think it showed they could tackle something much much more complex like a MMO. At least there needs to be a better engine, a more streamlined and polished direction and they need to have a faster output.
State of Decay was originally an indie game and Undead Labs is still only a 50 member studio. I mean a large big budget MMO(now that they are a part of Microsoft) with a proper team headed by Jeff Strain. Look at how Playground Games is hiring for there open world RPG.

Well, which IP are you thinking about? What one Xbox IP is most likely to get people to drop money every month? Although gamepass kind of had that covered. Cause GaaS print money from what I'm told. Isn't that what a MMORPG is anyway?
A new IP ofcourse.

Last edited:

Lady Bernkastel

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2018
Dont know why someone reopened this old thread but

Apparently, Undead Labs hired a lot of ArenaNet(Guild Wars dev) staffs after they were laid off as NC Soft wants to focus on mobile. They increased heads from below 40 to around 100 in a few months. So, will they make a MMO? I think they have a team capable of that.

Reactions: Zannegan

Lady Bernkastel

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2018
As a member of the software engineering team, you will be accountable for designing and implementing systems to support peer-to-peer gameplay modes for an ambitious unannounced game project in the Unreal Engine.

Zannegan

Feb 20, 2018
I just did a quick wiki search, I had no idea how many MMOs use UE4 as their engine. Interesting.

Looking at your original post I was thinking that the reason they wouldn't do that is that MMOs just don't have the earning potential they used to. On the other hand, if they want content for game pass, an MMO is exactly the kind of thing that keeps people subscribed. And it might just be time for a new MMO to rise up in the endless cycle of gaming trends and become the "new WoW."

Do you still think an MMO is in the cards, or are you betting on some other genre for their ambitious project?

Last edited:

Lady Bernkastel

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2018
I just did a quick wiki search, I had no idea how many MMOs use UE4 as their engine. Interesting.

Looking at your original post I was thinking that the reason they wouldn't do that is that MMOs just don't have the earning potential they used to. On the other hand, if they want content for game pass, an MMO is exactly the kind of thing that keeps people subscribed. And it might just be time for a new MMO to rise up in the endless cycle of gaming trends and become the "new WoW."

Do you still think an MMO is in the cards, or are you betting on some other genre for their ambitious project?
  • New Studio for "ambitious project"
  • Led by Jeff Strain, father of Guild Wars
  • Hiring more ArenaNet devs(Guild Wars Studio)
I have a feeling that the Undead Labs studio in New Orleans will make a MMORPG. Phil himself seems to be interested in the genre, like trying to bring PSO2 and FF XIV to Xbox. I maybe wrong, but its still a possibility.

Reactions: Zannegan