• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Microsoft using a Nvidia GTX 7xx in the Xbox One demo units?

Serandur

Anyone think it's possible the Xbox One and/or PS4 might be so similar to PCs that their games could be modified somehow to run on actual PCs by consumers?

szaromir

Banned
Really? Despite the shitty freezes the framerate seemed nice during the presentation. And they said it's gonna be 1080p 60fps.

Then again, AC3 ran like crap on PC and consoles so we should not trust Ubi too much on this.
TBH I only watched it on Gamespot's stage demo, the framerate was pretty bad.

Why are you conflating those who voluntarily bought Kinect with those who will have it forced upon them?
This is funny, I never see you complaining when Steam is forced on users of many PC games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How many people who have Kinect disconnects it anyway. I don't know any. Plus as a dev I would love the fact that I can count on it being there. That's how you can deliver a compelling experience knowing all the console senses are available to you.

When I had my kinect, I'd have it disconnected any time my kids weren't playing kinectimals or fruit ninja. Damn thing was huge and wouldn't fit anywhere discreet near my TV, so it only came out to play.

I can't believe that makes me unusual in any way

When I had my kinect, I'd have it disconnected any time my kids weren't playing kinectimals or fruit ninja. Damn thing was huge and wouldn't fit anywhere discreet near my TV, so it only came out to play.

I can't believe that makes me unusual in any way

It doesn't.

I do the very same.

Ales

Neo Member
Why? Forza 5, as it looks now, is a lot more pleasing to the eye than DC and runs at double the framerate.

Could be that Turnten are just very good at what they do, could be that they used some better gfx cards.

No,the truth is much simpler Turn 10 are a AAA team while Evolution Studios is a good SH but far from excellence as evidenced by their previous titles.As Occam's razor says the simplest solution is always the right one.
Turn 10 has performed miracles on the 360 now with the xbox one that is more powerful and with more ram is easy for them.

Ikaruga!

Neo Member
Judging by the cooler, that's either a GTX 780 or a Titan (it's probably the Titan as only it has enough VRAM) which are more than 3x faster than the Xbox One GPU, why would MS use PCs with such a massive performance jump over the real hardware?

You already know the answer to your question.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
BF4 is as big as they come. Passed PC demo as Xbone footage. On their conference stage too, lame as fuck.

Well, actually Peter Moor said to the Pope "Regarding BF4, they were all PCs spec'd to Xbox One, you've been around a long time and you know how it is, there's no final hardware yet. That's how it's going to run on the console tho. 1080p and 60fps. Ask the Dice guys about [60fps on X360 as well]".

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This is funny, I never see you complaining when Steam is forced on users of many PC games.

Firstly, I'm not complaining, though I do think bundling Kinect was a misfire due to it inflating the price of the X1 -- Microsoft is now poised to release a console notably more expensive than its (oft-rumoured) more-powerful rival, and in fact the X1's UK launch price is higher than that of the 60GB PS3. Secondly, grow up and stop being so petty; this is the second time in almost as many days you've obnoxiously mentioned Steam in response to one of my posts. Feel free to utilise GAF's ignore function if you don't care for what I have to say, but I'd rather you didn't throw Steam in my face at every opportunity.

For the record, though I don't know why I'm explaining myself to you, I accept Steam because DRM is by and large an unfortunate reality of PC gaming and it's the least obtrusive option of the array of evils. Despite CDPR's best efforts, DRM-free releases are simply never going to catch on, outside of old games and indie titles, to the degree that Steamworks has; game development is a significant investment and most publishers want reassurance that their games will be protected to some level.

Syriel

This picture was shot at e3

Look closely at the card in the desktop.

Apparently the demo units for the Xbox aren't using dev kits that are at the same level as what the Xbox specs are going to be. They are using PC's that have an Nvidia GTX card inside. For anyone that doesn't know about graphic cards and the technology differences, an Nvidia GTX 700 card should be much more powerful than the GPU in what will be the Xbox One.

Except the story that all Xbox One demo units at E3 were PCs isn't even remotely true.

Bravo on Cinema Blend though for posting a rumor as fact and trolling half the Internet.

Hey, if you can't be bothered to fact check a story, just go for as many hits as possible, right?

This is going to be such a car wreck. If pic in op is true, and it is Nvidia(not amd) they are showing off what the game, running in windows, on a PC, would look like, in HOPES that they can get their hardware(rumored to be gimped and inefficient) working on it before the holiday season.

So as of today, there is no Xbone running software at e3?

If you believe Cinemablend's "news" story (aka bullshit headline made up solely to generate traffic and hits) then yes.

If you were actually at E3, there was plenty of Xbox One software running on actual Xbox One devkits.

Some of it ran great. Some of it crashed. But it was running on devkit hardware, not PCs as claimed by the Cinemablend article.

Lococyle is a game by a smaller developer that was just announced as coming to Xbox One for E3. Just because Twisted Pixel was using a PC to demo its game, does not magically mean all of the Xbox One demo units were PCs.

Unless the Durango logo that came up every time the system that Fantasia was running on had to be power cycled is now a new feature of HP PCs. Or if HP PCs are now running the Xbox One dashboard.

Not all the hardware is exposed at E3. Hell, at the Ubisoft demos the kit that was running Watch Dogs and Assassins Creed IV was tucked out of sight. Could have been PS4 kits or could have been PCs.

Did some developers take advantage of this fact? Obviously Twisted Pixel did.

But that doesn't make Cinemablend's claim accurate or correct.

FuturusX

How many people who have Kinect disconnects it anyway. I don't know any. Plus as a dev I would love the fact that I can count on it being there. That's how you can deliver a compelling experience knowing all the console senses are available to you.

I bought a Kinect bundle to replace my RROD Xbox 360. I played Dance Central a bit and then disconnected it and never looked back. It's in a drawer somewhere with other infrequently used peripherals.

How many compelling Kinect only games were on show at E3? I'm not convinced developers can make genuine compelling experiences with it, rendering the fact that it's there with every X1 irrelevant.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
I bought a Kinect bundle to replace my RROD Xbox 360. I played Dance Central a bit and then disconnected it and never looked back. It's in a drawer somewhere with other infrequently used peripherals.

How many compelling Kinect only games were on show at E3? I'm not convinced developers can make genuine compelling experiences with it, rendering the fact that it's there with every X1 irrelevant.

That's fine you find no use for it but like I said most people I know aren't that strapped for shelf space so they leave it connected and I think its just a silly complaint just like many of the other complaints here about the X One.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Again, I ask what the story is here? That some Xbox one software was run on pc hardware with an NVidia card? Can we get a list of titles this rumor applies to?

I'm buying Kinect Sports at launch and will keep an eye on Fanatsia, Harmonix previous means it could be great fun. The way it's built in to the OS also makes it worthwhile imo.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's fine you find no use for it but like I said most people I know aren't that strapped for shelf space so they leave it connected and I think its just a silly complaint just like many of the other complaints here about the X One.

how many silly complaints add up to one genuine one in your book?

Eliciel

1367707366907.gif

Gold. This is just the answer to every question anyone is going to ask about "Lies".

Gold. This is just the answer to every question anyone is going to ask about "Lies".
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=590486&page=13

That's not the issue, it's childish.

Just LocoCycle it seems, yeah.

Nah, but only minors games like Crismon dragon seems to not have an xbox 1.
Other big games like Ryse were on Xbox 1 from what I saw.

Source > http://www.pcworld.com/video/26823/microsoft-booth-tour-e3-2013.html

This is lococycle
1b4yk29.jpg

This is others

But i guess people will ignore,OP won't update and think Xbox One can't run Lococycle

Obeso

Banned
The Xbox OS is a virtual machine inside XBOX One.

So you set up a powerful hardware (i7+Titan/780) to run this virtual machine and configure it to use only the requirements you want (XBOX One demands).

But I really think they adjusted the virtual machine to consume more resources than an Xbone at E3.

Top Bottom